Amerisleep and Sleep Number are luxury mattress companies with high customer satisfaction ratings. While they each offer a wide range of high-quality mattresses, their construction and feel could not be more different.
|Best For||Memory foam lovers
Every sleeping position
|Special Features||Excellent edge support
Refresh cooling cover
Ultra-conforming memory foam
Sleep tracking technology
Smart device control
- Amerisleep and Sleep Number offer high-end mattresses for luxury shoppers.
- Both have mattress models in different firmness options to suit every sleep position.
- Amerisleep and Sleep Number offer customers a 100-night sleep trial to test out their mattresses.
- Amerisleep crafts memory foam beds and Sleep Number adjustable air mattresses.
- Sleep Number’s dual firmness technology allows each side of the bed to have a different firmness level, while every Amerisleep mattress has the same firmness on each side.
- Amerisleep’s mattresses range from soft (3/10) to extra-firm (9/10), while Sleep Numbers range from soft (3/10) to firm (7.5/10).
- Amerisleep mattresses arrive compressed in a box and take time to expand and finish off-gassing, while Sleep Number beds are delivered ready to sleep on.
Amerisleep AS1 vs Sleep Number Innovation Series
- The Amerisleep AS1 is one of the firmest all-foam mattresses you’ll find. Rating an 8.5-9/10 for firmness, even firm mattress lovers will find what they’re looking for.
- Thanks to a Refresh Cooling Cover and memory foam with an open-cell structure, the AS1 is a good fit for hot sleepers.
- The AS1 scored an impressive 9.25/10 for edge support. Edge support is helpful if you sit along the edge of the bed to put on shoes or if you and your partner like to spread out.
- Innovative temperature-balancing technology creates a mattress that keeps you cool all night.
- Generous comfort layers cushion pressure points, making it a great mattress for side sleepers.
- The three Innovation Series mattresses boast adjustable firmnesses that range from medium-soft to medium-firm or soft to medium-firm.
- With side-by-side air chambers, couples who sleep together can each choose their preferred level of firmness.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Amerisleep AS1 mattress is a firm mattress made from two layers of memory foam. The Sleep Number Innovation Series includes three mattresses with generous foam layers atop adjustable air chambers. These mattresses range from soft to medium-firm.
The AS1 mattress has just 2” of cushy memory foam, compared with 6-7” of pressure-relieving foam found inside the Innovation Series beds. Thanks to a more generous comfort layer with a luxurious pillow top mattress feel, the Innovation series is better for side sleepers. Both mattresses work well for stomach and back sleepers, with the AS1 a better fit for people who prefer a firm feel and the Innovation for those that like something with a bit more cushion.
Because of the AS1’s minimal comfort layers and sturdy polyfoam base, it offers better edge support than the Sleep Number mattresses. Both beds offer good motion isolation, thanks to the all-foam construction of the AS1 and the dual air chambers in the Innovation Series. These attributes make both mattresses excellent for couples who share the bed. Because the Innovation Series has dual-sided firmness, it’s better for couples who have different firmness preferences.
The AS1 is Amerisleep’s most affordable model, while the Innovation Series comprises the highest-end Sleep Number mattresses. As such, the price difference between these beds is vast, with the Innovation Series mattresses costing many times that of the AS1 mattress.
|Amerisleep AS1||Innovation Series|
|Split Cal King||N/A||$5,299-$6,899|
|FlexTop Cal King||N/A||$5,299-$6,899|
Amerisleep AS2 vs Sleep Number Memory Foam
Amerisleep AS2 Mattress Review Highlights
- The AS2 balances contouring pressure relief with support that works well for most back and stomach sleepers.
- The AS2 earned excellent scores for both pressure relief and spine alignment, making it a good bed for those with shoulder, hip, neck, or lower back pain.
- It’s easy to move around on the AS2 thanks to its ultra-responsive foam. Combination sleepers and those who toss and turn a lot in their sleep best on a responsive mattress.
- Breathable open-cell memory foam and a cooling mattress cover make the AS2 a great mattress for hot sleepers.
Sleep Number Memory Foam Highlights
- This memory foam/airbed hybrid mattress is the only Sleep Number bed with the deeply contouring feel and pressure relief offered by memory foam.
- A cooling gel memory foam comfort layer paired with naturally-cool air chambers makes the Sleep Number m7 a runner-up for the best mattresses for hot sleepers.
- Thanks to adjustable air chambers on each side of the bed, couples can each enjoy a different firmness that ranges from medium-soft to medium-firm.
- Sleep IQ technology gives you the power of tracking your sleep and making improvements based on the data.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Amerisleep AS2 mattress is an all-foam mattress, while the Sleep Number Memory Foam bed is a memory foam and air bed hybrid. Both the Amerisleep AS2 and Sleep Number Memory Foam beds use generous layers of foam to ensure adequate comfort and pressure relief. Five inches of cooling memory foam and supportive polyfoam create beds that work well for every body size.
What really sets these mattresses apart is their firmness levels. The Sleep Number Memory Foam bed ranges in firmness from medium-soft to medium-firm, while the AS2 is a firm mattress. Side sleepers do better on a softer mattress, while back and stomach sleepers may enjoy either mattress type, it just depends on personal firmness preference.
While both of these beds do an excellent job minimizing motion transfer, making them good mattresses for couples, only the Sleep Number bed has dual-sided firmness. Couples who tend to prefer different mattresses can sleep together comfortably on the Sleep Number Memory Foam mattress.
The Sleep Number Memory Foam mattress costs 2-3 times the price of the Amerisleep AS2.
|Amerisleep AS2||Memory Foam|
|Split Cal King||N/A||$5,299|
|FlexTop Cal King||N/A||$5,299|
Amerisleep AS3 vs Sleep Number Classic Series
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review Highlights
- The AS3 is Amerisleep’s most popular mattress thanks to its medium feel, which works for all sleeping positions, particularly back and side sleepers.
- The zoned-support transition layer pairs with the plush memory foam top layer to deliver give and support where the body needs it. The resulting balanced feel earned the AS3 an impressive 8.25/10 for spine alignment.
- The AS3 boasts sturdy, comfortable edges and dampens movement, making it a good mattress choice for couples and those who co-sleep.
Sleep Number Classic Series Highlights
- The most affordable Sleep Number mattress with all of the bells and whistles, including dual air adjustability, sleep tracking technology, and Responsive Air technology.
- Minimal comfort layers pair with adjustable air chambers to deliver beds with a firmness level between medium and firm.
- Dual air chambers ensure nearly zero motion transfer, great for couples who share the bed.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Amerisleep AS3 is a memory foam mattress whose medium firmness rates a 6 on the 1-10 firmness scale. Sleep Number’s Classic mattresses have a similar feel, with their firmnesses ranging from 5 to 7 out of 10.
While they both have similar firmnesses, the AS3 has 5” of plush comfort and transition foam, while the Sleep Number has only 2-3”. The thicker comfort foam means the AS3 is going to deliver a closer hugging feel with superior pressure relief, while the Classic is firmer without much sinkage. As such, the AS3 is better for side sleepers and those who like a cushiony feel to their mattress, and the Classic beds are best for those who don’t desire a plush feel.
The Classic mattresses have cutting edge technology that the AS3 doesn’t. The adjustable firmness allows you to find the right feel for you, and with dual air chambers, couples can customize their sleeping experience. This mattress also comes with SleepIQ, sleep tracking technology that gives you the tools to help improve your sleep.
Sleep Number’s Classic Series mattresses are less expensive than Amerisleep’s AS3 model, costing $400 less for a queen-size mattress.
|Amerisleep AS3||Classic Series|
|FlexTop Cal King||N/A||$1,799-$3,399|
Amerisleep AS4 vs Sleep Number Performance Series
Amerisleep AS4 Mattress Review Highlights
- The AS4 is the coolest Amerisleep mattress with the thickest layer of Bio-Pur memory foam. This foam is engineered to promote air circulation and cooling. Paired with the Refresh Cooling Cover, the AS4 is an excellent all-foam mattress for hot sleepers.
- The HIVE transition layer is a zoned polyfoam that cushions the hips and shoulders while supporting the back, head, and legs. The result is a mattress that delivers excellent pressure relief and body alignment.
- With a medium-soft feel and generous comfort foam, the AS4 is the ideal mattress for most side sleepers.
Sleep Number Performance Series Highlights
- The Performance Series has enhanced pressure relieving foams perfect for side sleepers and anyone who prefers a plush, luxurious feel.
- At 14-16” thick, the Performance Series mattresses are supportive enough for plus-size sleepers. And with an ultra-soft top layer, it’s soft enough for lightweight sleepers.
- Sleep Number’s cutting edge technology, including dual adjustability, SleepIQ technology, and Responsive Air Technology create a smart bed ideal for those looking for a customized sleeping experience.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Amerisleep A4 and Performance Series are luxury mattresses with generous comfort layers. Each boasts 4-5” of foam that conforms to the body, making them great options for those who like the feeling of sinking into their mattress—particularly side sleepers of all body sizes. The A4 has a top layer of memory foam that molds even closer to the body than the soft polyfoam comfort layer of the Performance beds.
The A4 mattress is an all-foam mattress whose foams come together for a medium-soft feel. Thanks to the air chambers that control the firmness of the 3 Performance Series mattresses, each of these beds can be as soft as the A4 or as firm as a medium-firm bed. This adjustability makes the Performance beds ideal for couples with different firmness preferences as well as people who aren’t sure what firmness they prefer. The firmer feel is also better for most back and stomach sleepers.
Because the Amerisleep A4 mattress is a bed-in-a-box memory foam bed, it has a moderate off-gassing odor when first unboxed that you won’t experience with the Performance Series beds. Rest assured that this odor is temporary and will fade within a few days.
Both the AS4 and Performance Series are luxury mattresses with luxury price tags. However, the Amerisleep is going to save you some money when compared to a Performance Series mattress.
|Amerisleep AS4||Performance Series|
|Split Cal King||N/A||$4,099|
|FlexTop Cal King||N/A||$3,499-$4,099|
Amerisleep AS5 vs Sleep Number Value Beds
Amerisleep AS5 Mattress Review Highlights
- The AS5 offers the utmost luxury. Its generous layers of memory foam and proprietary polyfoam creates an unmistakable memory foam-hugging feel, much like that of a more expensive Tempur-Pedic mattress.
- With 7” of comfort and transition foams, the AS5 is one of the softest foam mattresses there is. Its soft feel is ideal for side sleepers who find most other mattresses too firm—even the ones everyone else seems to love.
- The A5 has an exclusive layer of Active Flex foam that pairs the contouring of memory foam and the responsive feel of latex. This layer is cooling and limits sinkage.
Sleep Number Value Beds Highlights
- The same dual adjustability and sleep tracking technology as the other Sleep Number beds, but at a more budget-friendly price point.
- Zoned foam offers cushion and support to the areas of the body that need them the most. The balanced feel helps to relieve pain at pressure points while keeping heavier parts of the body from sagging.
- Minimal comfort layers deliver the moderate cushion and firm support desired by most stomach sleepers and some back sleepers.
*Editor’s Note: The Sleep Number Value Beds have been discontinued. For another affordable Sleep Number mattress line, consider the Classic series.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Amerisleep AS5 is an ultra-soft mattress. It boasts three layers of memory foam and polyfoam for an incredibly luxurious feel. You’ll definitely feel like you’re sleeping “in” rather than “on” the AS5.
The Sleep Number Value Beds are much different. They each have a minimal comfort layer of between 1-½” and 2-½” atop adjustable air chambers. This foam layer is zoned, helping to cushion the hips and shoulders while supporting the head and lumbar region.
Because both mattresses have zoned support, they’re excellent at keeping the spine properly aligned. Outside of this similarity, their feels and benefits are vastly different. Go with the AS5 for pressure relief and a deep hugging feel. Opt for the Sleep Number Value mattresses if you want a medium-firm to firm feel with minimal pressure relief, or if you and your partner have different firmness needs.
Side sleepers are going to prefer the AS5 and stomach sleepers the Sleep Number Value mattress. Back sleepers are better served by beds that offer a balance between plush contouring and firm support.
The AS5 is Amerisleep’s most luxurious mattress, while the Value Beds are Sleep Number’s budget-friendly mattress line. The Amerisleep costs around twice that of a Sleep Number Value bed.
|Amerisleep AS5||Value Beds|
Compare Amerisleep vs Sleep Number Sizes
While both the Amerisleep and Sleep Number mattresses come in the same standard mattress sizes, Sleep Number offers a variety of sizes created for couples that Amerisleep does not offer.
The FlexTop beds are specifically designed for use with an adjustable base. You’ll also notice that some of the Sleep Number beds are very thick. These mattresses are excellent for plus-size sleepers and those that need extra cushioning.
|Twin||38” x 74”||38” x 75”|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||38” x 80”|
|Full||54” x 75”||54” x 75”|
|Queen||60” x 80”||60” x 80”|
|King||76” x 80”||76” x 80”|
|Split King||76” x 80”||76” x 80”|
|FlexTop King||N/A||76” x 80”|
|California King||72” x 84”||72” x 84”|
|Split Cal King||N/A||72” x 84”|
|FlexTop King||N/A||72” x 84”|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Shipping varies substantially between Amerisleep and Sleep Number.
Amerisleep ships for free within the contiguous United States. As a bed-in-a-box mattress brand, the Amerisleep mattress arrives compressed into a tall, thin box. You must wait between a few hours to a few days for the mattress to fully expand and lose any off-gassing odor.
Sleep Number mattresses are delivered full-size with the Comfort Service Home Delivery. This service includes:
- New mattress setup
- Old mattress removal
- Base assembly (when buying a Sleep Number base)
Comfort Service Home Delivery costs $199-$249, depending on where you live. They ship everywhere in the USA except for Hawaii.
Both mattresses come with a 100-night sleep trial, but the terms are different; Amerisleep’s return policy is more generous. Amerisleep offers full refunds with zero fees during this time. Sleep Number charges a $199 return shipping fee, and they do not refund the original Comfort Service Home Delivery fee.
When you buy a new mattress from Amerisleep, it’s backed with a generous 20-year warranty. Sleep Number’s warranty is 15 years, and the coverage quickly lessens over that period of time. Overall, the Amerisleep warranty is better than Sleep Number’s.
The Bottom Line: Which Is the Best Mattress Brand?
Amerisleep and Sleep Number carry a wide range of mattresses that work for every sleeping position. While both companies offer soft and luxurious mattresses perfect for side sleepers, only Amerisleep has a bed firm enough for those who need an extra-firm bed.
If you’re someone who wants to find your perfect firmness level, track your sleeping habits, or sleep with a partner who typically prefers a different mattress, Sleep Number is an excellent option. But if you’d rather enjoy the simplicity of a high-quality, luxury memory foam mattress, Amerisleep is one of the best brands out there.
While both mattress brands offer a 100-night sleep trial, only Amerisleep’s trial is truly risk free thanks to their free shipping and returns. You must pay for initial shipping and return shipping if you return your new Sleep Number mattress.
More Amerisleep and Sleep Number Comparisons
Amerisleep Mattress Reviews
Learn about the Amerisleep brand and compare their 5 memory foam mattresses. See our reviews and ratings for price, quality, and more.
Sleep Number Bed Alternatives
Looking for a smart bed? Today you have more choices than the Sleep Number Bed. We’ve chosen the top 11 Sleep Number Alternatives to see what’s best.
Amerisleep AS2 vs AS3 Mattress Comparison
Shopping for a luxury memory foam mattress? Our Amerisleep AS2 vs AS3 comparison outlines what sets these all-foam beds apart so you can find your best match.