updated August 2022
Amerisleep vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison
In this Amerisleep vs Tempur-Pedic mattress comparison, you’ll learn all about the feel, special features, and prices for 5 models from each of these titans in the mattress industry.
Memory foam mattresses are a relatively new addition to the bedding world. They evolved from the foam padding used to cushion astronauts launching into space. Memory foam, also known as polyurethane, is made from petroleum and is designed to conform to your body’s shape. Amerisleep and Tempur-Pedic are two well-known memory foam mattress brands on the market.
Amerisleep offers eco-friendly, locally sourced, bed-in-a-box mattresses that are shipped to you directly. The Tempur-Pedic name is synonymous with memory foam since they were one of the original memory foam mattress brands. They craft luxury mattresses with advanced cooling technologies. In this comparison, we’ll compare 5 mattress models from each of these brands to see which suits you best.
Amerisleep vs Tempur-Pedic Overview
|Best For||Hot sleepers, all sleeping positions, couples, bed-in-a-box shoppers||All sleeping positions, hot sleepers, seniors, luxury shoppers, combo sleepers|
|Price Range||$1,049 – $3,298||$1,899 – $9,898|
|Special Features||BioPur plant-based memory foam, HIVE technology, Refresh Cooling Cover||SmartClimate Dual Cover System, PureCool+ Phase Change Material, Tempur-APR Material|
- Construction: Amerisleep and Tempur-Pedic both specialize in memory foam, and their signature mattresses are all foam beds. They also both offer hybrid mattress models that incorporate their memory foams.
- Firmness Options: Each of these brands offers several different firmness levels that cater to all sleeping positions, including soft, medium, and firm mattresses.
- Cooling: Both Tempur-Pedic and Amerisleep prioritize cooling technologies in their mattress construction. Heat gets trapped in traditional memory foam, so mattress companies aim to counter this tendency with breathable and temperature-regulating materials.
- CertiPUR-US Foam: All of the mattresses in this comparison are constructed of CertiPUR-US certified foam. That means they are free of toxic chemicals and are manufactured without ozone depleters and with low Volatile Organic Compound (V.O.C.) emissions.
- Off-Gassing: Amerisleep’s signature foam, Bio-Pur is made from primarily plant-based oils and has a lower chance of off-gassing. Tempur-Pedic’s proprietary foam is petroleum based, which is what most memory foams are made from.
- Financing: Tempur-Pedic is a luxury mattress brand, so their prices are significantly higher than those of Amerisleep; however, Tempur-Pedic offers financing for purchases over $1,000, while Amerisleep does not.
- Warranty: Amerisleep’s warranty period is double that of Tempur-Pedic. They cover your mattress for 20 years, whereas Tempur-Pedic covers their beds for 10 years.
- Set-Up: As a luxury brand, Tempur-Pedic provides a complimentary in-home setup when they deliver your new mattress. Amerisleep mattresses are compressed, rolled, and boxed before shipping. You take the boxed mattress to your room, remove it from the package, unroll it on your foundation, and let it inflate.
Amerisleep AS1 vs Tempur-Luxebreeze
Amerisleep AS1 Mattress Review Highlights
- Firmness Scale: Amerisleep’s AS1 model is their firmest mattress, so it’s the preferred choice of stomach sleepers and back sleepers.
- Spinal Alignment: This mattress provides targeted support for each region of your body. It balances your weight in such a way that your spine stays in a straight line. Good spinal alignment promotes less back pain.
- Cooling: The AS1 earned 8/10 on our cooling assessment. Amerisleep designed their Bio-Pur foam to be extra breathable, so your body heat escapes through the open cell pockets instead of lingering in the foam.
Tempur-LUXEbreeze Mattress Review Highlights
- Extra Cooling: The Tempur-LUXEbreeze has been proven to reduce the temperature under your sheets by up to 8 degrees. Tempur-Pedic says that a cooler sleep environment promotes deeper, more restorative sleep.
- Tempur-APR Material: This ventilated foam layer does such a good job of improving airflow through the mattress that it accounts for a full 5 degree drop in mattress temperature.
- Firmness Options: The LUXEbreeze model is offered in both soft and firm feels, so you can choose your preferred firmness level without missing the extra cooling features. Pressure Relief: The Tempur-APR material is billed as Tempur-Pedic’s most pressure relieving foam ever. Whether you choose the soft or firm option, this layer will cushion your pressure points.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Amerisleep AS1 mattress is constructed of only 2 foam layers beneath a Refresh Cooling Cover. The top layer of Bio-Pur foam has a breathable open-cell structure. As a firm mattress, it has average pressure relief (6.75/10), as well as average motion isolation (7/10). The second layer is Amerisleep’s durable Bio-Core foam. This support layer accounts for the excellent score the AS1 received for edge support (9.25/10).
The Tempur-LUXEbreeze has cooling technology in every layer. The SmartClimate Cover is cool to the touch, and the top layer of PureCool+ foam includes phase change material that regulates your temperature. The comfort layer and support layer are breathable and pressure relieving. Because the LUXEbreeze is an all-foam mattress, you may notice temporary off-gassing.
Take a look at the price jump between the Amerisleep AS1 and Tempur-LUXEbreeze.
|Split California King||N/A||$9,898|
Amerisleep AS2 vs Tempur-PRObreeze
Amerisleep AS2 Mattress Review Highlights
- Firmness Level: The Amerisleep AS2 has a slightly thicker top layer than the AS1, but still a firm feel (7/10 on the firmness scale). It’s a good choice for back and stomach sleepers.
- Affinity Layer: This added transition layer is designed to improve pressure relief. It certainly does a good job, considering that the AS2 scored 9/10 for pressure relief in our lab assessment.
- Relieves Pain: The AS2 model was engineered specifically for those with back pain. It combines pressure relieving transition foam and contouring Bio-Pur foam. All of these features are important for alleviating joint and muscle pain.
Tempur-PRObreeze Mattress Review Highlights
- Cooling Technology: The PRObreeze also champions cooling technology. The Tempur-breeze models were designed in Tempur-Pedic’s thermal lab, and tests show that the PRObreeze model keeps you up to 3 degrees cooler than normal.
- Firmness Options: The PRObreeze is available as a medium all-foam mattress, as well as a medium hybrid mattress. The two models are nearly identical, save for an added innerspring layer at the base of the hybrid model.
- Motion Transfer: The Tempur-PRObreeze foam layers dampen motion before it has the chance to spread across the mattress surface. This is a good quality for couples who don’t want to be disturbed by their sleeping partners.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Amerisleep AS2 pairs a thin layer of Bio-Pur foam with a layer of transition foam. Amerisleep calls this addition the Affinity layer. Along with Bio-Pur, it’s specially designed to bounce back to its original form when you change position. This model received a nearly perfect score for responsiveness. Similar to the AS1, the AS2 is anchored with durable Bio-Core foam.
The Tempur-PRObreeze includes the same cooling cover and phase change material as the LUXEbreeze, but it doesn’t include the ventilated Tempur-APR material. It’s equally as pressure relieving, and the spring coils in the hybrid version drastically improve motion isolation.
|Split California King||N/A||$7,898|
Amerisleep AS3 vs Tempur-Adapt
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review Highlights
- Motion Transfer: The AS3 mattress scored high for motion transfer, so it’s a good choice for anyone who sleeps with a partner or pet.
- Eco-Friendly: Bio-Pur memory foam has less off-gassing and a smaller environmental impact than traditional memory foam.
- “Just Right” Feel: The AS3 is medium-firm, or 6/10 on the firmness scale. This firmness level appeals to most sleepers, so it’s no wonder this is Amerisleep’s best selling mattress.
Tempur-Adapt Mattress Review Highlights
- Lowest Cost: The Tempur-Adapt is Tempur-Pedic’s most affordable mattress model.
- Tempur-ES Material: The addition of this softer foam comfort layer improves overall coziness of the mattress. Paired with the Original Tempur support layer, it has a medium feel. It’s also antimicrobial, so it repels mold and dust mites.
- Conforming: Tempur-Pedic designed this mattress to provide pressure relief for a broad range of sleeping positions and body types.
Compare Mattress Construction
The AS3 includes all the same cooling and contouring features as its sibling models, but it has thicker layers of comfort foam. In addition to the Refresh Cooling Cover, Bio-Pur foam, and Bio-Core support foam, the transition layer features HIVE technology. The honeycomb-shaped cutouts in the transition foam vary in depth, so you get more support under your back and more cushion under your shoulders.
The Tempur-Adapt is Tempur-Pedic’s most basic mattress model. Beneath the cooling knit SmartClimate cover is soft Tempur-ES memory foam. The support layer is dense, durable foam that can be paired with responsive spring coils in the hybrid model.
|Split California King||N/A||$3,898|
Amerisleep AS4 vs Tempur-LuxeAdapt
Amerisleep AS4 Mattress Review Highlights
- Extra Softness: The AS4 is one of Amerisleep’s softest mattresses. The medium-soft feel is recommended for side sleepers and combo sleepers who favor their side.
- Breathable: All of the foam layers in this mattress are cooling in one way or another. The cover is breathable and the Bio-Pur foam has an open cell structure with more space for heat to escape. Also, the middle transition layer has channels that allow for improved airflow.
- Pressure Relief: The design of the AS4 also makes it great at relieving pressure, another important factor for side sleepers. Instead of letting you sink in too far and build up pressure in your hips and shoulders, the Amerisleep AS4 evenly distributes your body weight to avoid pain in the pressure points.
Tempur-LuxeAdapt Mattress Review Highlights
- Tempur-APR+ Material: The Tempur-LuxeAdapt mattress is the only model to have this advanced new material. It conforms to your body with more nuanced precision than the original APR.
- Motion Isolation: Each of the foam layers diffuse motion before it has the chance to disrupt the rest of the mattress.
- Pressure Relief: Tempur-Pedic says that their APR+ foam has a tighter cell structure that provides improved support for shoulders and hips.
Compare Mattress Construction
Amerisleep’s AS4 model is medium-soft, or 4/10 on the firmness scale. Here, you’ll experience pressure relief without compromising whole-body support. The main difference between this and other AS models is the thickness of the top layer of Bio-Pur. The AS4 has the same Refresh Cooling Cover, Affinity transition foam, and Bio-Core base as the other models, but the comfort layer is significantly thicker.
Tempur-Pedic’s LuxeAdapt mattress is offered in soft and firm. The firm mattress swaps the Tempur-ES foam for the Original Tempur Comfort Layer. With both options, you’ll get the responsiveness of the Tempur-ES or Original Tempur foam and the advanced pressure relief of the Tempur-APR+ foam. Both models are wrapped in a cooling SmartClimate cover.
|Split California King||N/A||$7,298|
Amerisleep AS5 vs Tempur-ProAdapt
Amerisleep AS5 Mattress Review Highlights
- Plush Feel: With 4 layers of foam, this is definitely Amerisleep’s softest mattress. It’s perfect for side sleepers and combo sleepers.
- Active Flex Foam: Amerisleep added this layer to prevent you from feeling stuck in the mattress. It snaps back to form as soon as you change positions and prevents you from sinking too far into the top layer.
- Pressure Relief: The Active Flex foam and thick top layer work together to suspend your body in the foam, so it feels like you’re sleeping on a cloud.
Tempur-ProAdapt Mattress Review Highlights
- Contouring: The SmartClimate Dual Cover System has a stretchy inner layer that allows your body to experience the full contouring effect of the Tempur-ES comfort layer.
- Targets Pressure Points: Tempur-Pedic unveiled their signature Tempur-APR material with this mattress model. While they don’t provide much information about this proprietary foam, they tout its enormous pressure relieving abilities.
- 4 Firmness Options: This model offers the most firmness options of all of Tempur-Pedic’s collections. You can choose from soft, medium, medium-hybrid, and firm firmness levels.
Compare Mattress Construction
The AS5 Amerisleep mattress is the tallest of the AS collection at 14 inches high, and its pressure relief is off the charts. The top layer is ultra soft Bio-Pur foam, followed by Active Flex foam that improves responsiveness for couples and combo sleepers. Finally, HIVE technology in the third layer improves airflow and targeted support.
The Tempur-PROAdapt has 4 firmness options that all share the removable SmartClimate cover. The soft model cushions pressure points with the Tempur-ES material and Tempur-APR material. The firm model moves the Tempur-APR material to the top and uses the Original Tempur Support Layer.
The medium model swaps the Tempur-ES comfort layer for the Original Tempur Comfort Layer. The medium hybrid option has the same construction as the soft model, but with a base layer of 1,000+ pocketed spring coils. You can expect a little more responsiveness from the hybrid version.
|Split California King||N/A||$5,698|
Compare Amerisleep vs Tempur-Pedic Sizes
Amerisleep and Tempur-Pedic have slightly different size specs, which you can see in the chart below.
|Thickness||10” – 14”||11” – 13”|
|Twin||38” x 74”||38″ x 74″|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||38″ x 80″|
|Full||54” x 75”||53″ x 74″|
|Queen||60” x 80”||60″ x 80″|
|King||76” x 80”||76″ x 80″|
|California King||72” x 84”||72″ x 84″|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Amerisleep gives you a 100-night trial period and free shipping in the continental US. Under their return policy, you can receive a full refund if you don’t like your new mattress. Amerisleep will arrange for the mattress to be picked up and recycled. They do ask that you wait 30 days before initiating a return, so your body has a chance to fully adjust to the new sleeping surface.
Tempur-Pedic’s sleep trial is 90 days, and they provide free shipping and white glove delivery for all orders in the continental US. You have to sleep on your new mattress for at least 30 days before returning. If you return your mattress, you’ll get a full refund, minus any shipping costs.
Amerisleep’s mattresses are protected by a 20-year warranty that repairs or replaces mattresses with defects – for example, sagging deeper than 0.75”. After the first 10 years, they charge a pro-rated cost for your mattress replacement.
Tempur-Pedic offers a 10-year repair or replacement warranty. It also covers defects in the mattress, including sagging below 0.75”, cracks in the foam, and broken zippers.
Read More: Tempur-Pedic Mattress Warranty
Verdict: Which Is the Best Mattress Brand?
All of these high-quality memory foam mattresses are well received by customers and protected by generous warranties. With so many different models to choose from, we wouldn’t fault you for feeling a bit stuck. There is no clear winner for the best mattress brand, but there are best mattresses for your sleep needs. Here are our recommendations:
- Side Sleepers: Stick with any of the medium or soft mattress models. The Tempur-ProAdapt and LuxeAdapt both include the APR material that Tempur-Pedic calls its most pressure-relieving material ever. Amerisleep’s AS4 and AS5 models will also do a great job of cushioning your hips and shoulders.
- Stomach and Back Sleepers: Medium-firm or firm mattresses are best for your sleeping position. You need a little extra support, which you’ll get from Amerisleep’s AS1 and AS2 models and the Tempur-LuxeAdapt, Tempur-ProAdapt, and Tempur-breeze firm mattresses.
- Couples: You need a bed that reduces motion transfer. Consider the AS3 hybrid mattress or the Tempur-ProAdapt hybrid model.
- Hot Sleepers: The Tempur-ProBreeze and LuxeBreeze are the clear winners here. If you can’t swing the price tag, all of the Amerisleep AS models share the same moisture-wicking cover and breathable Bio-Pur foam layers.
- Budget-Shoppers: Amerisleep’s mattresses are by far the more affordable option. However, be prepared to pay the full price, since they don’t offer financing.
- Luxury Mattress Shoppers: Swing for the fence and chose the next-level cooling comfort and support of the Tempur-LUXEbreeze.
- Still Undecided? The AS3 and Tempur-Adapt mattresses are both medium firmness mattresses with reasonable price points. They offer a blend of comfort, support, and cooling that work well for the average sleeper.
Other Mattress Comparisons
Amerisleep Mattress Reviews
Learn about the Amerisleep brand and compare their 5 memory foam mattresses. See our reviews and ratings for price, quality, and more.
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Reviews
The Tempur-Pedic mattress brand is synonymous with luxury memory foam mattresses that offer years of great sleep. Comb through our reviews and see which is right for you.
Best TEMPUR-Pedic Alternatives
TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses are some of the most recognizable beds on the market, but they can be pricey. Explore some cheaper alternatives in our comparison guide.