Avocado Latex Mattress Topper Review
This latex mattress topper is an excellent option for those looking to make a soft or aging mattress feel more supportive and firm.
Apr 10th, 2023 •
Mattress toppers are a great addition for when you want to make a too-firm mattress softer and more forgiving—but did you know you can also add one to a too-soft bed to make it a bit more firm and supportive?
I wanted to experience this phenomenon in action, so I tested the Avocado Latex Mattress Topper, an eco-friendly topper designed to give your bed a luxury facelift. The topper comes in both “firm” and “plush” models, so you can bring a mattress down in firmness or up in firmness—all while adding more alignment and pressure relief.
Read one for what I thought after a night of sleeping on it, and who I think could most benefit from a mattress topper like this.
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.6/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 9/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️10-Year Limited Warranty|
|✔️365-Night Sleep Trial|
The Avocado Latex Mattress Topper is made from all natural and organic materials, including a two-inch slab of GOLS organic certified latex foam, which the brand sources from its rubber tree farms. This latex core comes in two firmness options: plush and firm. Quilted over that latex is a layer of GOTS-certified organic wool designed to regulate temperature and wick away moisture. The latex and wool layers rest inside of an organic cotton cover that’s soft, breathable, and meets the standards for GOTS certification.
- Firmness Options: The Avocado Latex Mattress topper comes in two firmness options: firm and plush. We tested the “firm” version of the topper, which is about a medium-firm level of firmness (6.5 or 7 out of 10). Try the softer “plush” model if your mattress is too firm already.
- Eco-Conscious: Avocado uses all organic materials and handcrafts its products in California, using materials sourced from the brand’s farms. It’s hard to get much eco-friendlier than that.
- Thermo-Regulated to the Max: Not only does this topper have a breathable cotton cover, but it also includes a wool layer to regulate heat. On cold nights, the topper’s surface sleeps warm. On warm nights, it sleeps crisp. Plus, its latex core has natural cooling properties.
- Back-Supporting Comfort: The Avocado Latex Mattress Topper provides supreme comfort for back sleepers, side sleepers, and—because it’s so firm—even the elusive stomach sleeper. It has a bouncy, responsive feel and springs back into place when you push down on it, which makes it an equally great option for combination sleepers and those who move around a lot at night.
Sizes and Prices
The Avocado Latex Mattress Topper comes in six sizes.
|Twin||75″ x 38″ x 2.75”, 25 lbs.||$549|
|Twin XL||80″ x 38″ x 2.75″, 29 lbs.||$599|
|Full||75″ x 54″ x 2.75″, 32 lbs.||$599|
|Queen||80″ x 60″ x 2.75″, 38 lbs.||$649|
|King||80″ x 76″ x 2.75″, 49 lbs.||$909|
||84″ x 72″ x 2.75″, 49 lbs.||$909|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Click below to find the best price for the PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper.
The Avocado Latex Mattress Topper comes with a 10-year limited warranty to protect against defects.
Shipping and Returns
The Avocado Latex Mattress Topper comes with free shipping and a 365-day sleep trial. If you’re within that one-year window and want to exchange the topper, Avocado just insists that you first try it for 30 days to break it in.
I have a hard time truly assessing a mattress topper without giving it a full night of sleep, so to test the Avocado Latex Mattress Topper, I brought it home to see if it could improve the comfort of my usual mattress.
First, I unboxed it and let it unfurl. Unlike with many memory foam toppers, there was no chemical off-gassing—the topper just rolled out and immediately took shape. I loved how high-quality the materials felt against my skin—the cotton surface of the topper was finely textured and almost earthy-feeling due to its natural fibers.
It was also so soft that I wished I could sleep directly on top of it without sheets or a protector; but alas, I don’t trust my pets.
Once the topper was on my bed, it didn’t add or subtract much firmness from my medium-firm mattress—I’d say both the topper and mattress were about a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 in firmness.
It did give my hybrid mattress a more responsive, bouncy feel due to the topper’s latex construction. As a fan of latex bedding, I loved this for not only comfort reasons but also because the topper made it easier to change positions and move around on the bed.
First I tried lying on my back and experienced excellent support and comfort from the topper. As a sleeper on the lighter side, I tend to prefer softer bedding that allows me to sink in a little. But the “firm” topper felt like it supplied just the right amount of give—while also making me feel like I was floating on the bed instead of sinking into it.
My back and neck were in optimal alignment as I rested on the Avocado topper’s surface. I’m not usually a stomach sleeper, but when I tried the position, the topper also felt plenty comfortable due to its firm support, which kept my hips even with my shoulders.
Next, I moved to my side. Initially, I worried the topper would be too firm for good pressure relief when side sleeping, but my fears were unfounded. I not only felt comfortable as I nestled into the bed, but I woke in the morning feeling rested and revived, with no hip, shoulder, or neck discomfort.
I suspect heavier sleepers would find this topper even more comfortable and forgiving for side sleeping, given that they might sink a tad bit farther into its surface. The firmness of the latex makes this topper a good choice for side sleepers of all body types because it won’t sink or sag on you.
After a night of excellent sleep on the Avocado firm topper, I would recommend it to sleepers of all sleep styles, positions, and sizes—except for those who prefer their beds to feel super-soft. I would also sing its praises to those who want to make a soft or aging bed feel firmer—or extend the lifespan of any mattress.
Pros & Cons
- Firm Feel: Most mattress toppers add a compressive layer of plushness to the top of your bed, but this topper actually makes your mattress feel more medium-firm. It’s a great option for those who want a topper but don’t like the feeling of sinking too far into one.
- Good for Heavier Sleepers: On that firm note, the firm topper is a great option for heavier sleepers because it provides good support without any sagging or the slow-moving, submersive feeling of traditional memory foam.
- High Responsiveness: Due to its latex construction, the topper has a bouncy, responsive feel—if you press your hand into it, it immediately springs back. This makes it easy to move around at night or get out of the bed in the morning.
- Ready to Go: You don’t have to wait for this mattress topper to take shape after opening—or deal with chemical off-gassing after watching it unfurl. Although it won’t arrive fully broken in, the latex topper is ready to sleep on almost immediately after pulling it out of the box.
- Good for Hot Sleepers: Avocado’s high-quality latex, wool, and cotton materials unite to provide good temperature regulation.
- Pricey: The topper is pretty pricey. But it’s handcrafted from high-quality, organic, in-house materials, so it’s a good value if fits in your budget.
- “Before the topper I woke up with aches and pains. After the topper, no more aches and pains! It was cool all summer and warm in the winter. And no chemicals—perfect!” —Kathleen M.
- “After sending back 3 other toppers – this Avocado Green is a keeper. I have been sleeping well, finally no back pain. Definitely recommend.” — Katherine F.
- “We love this topper and the fact that it’s all natural and organic. The workmanship is top-quality—you can tell it’ll last for a very long time. There is a few week “break-in” period for this topper—we both experienced a bit of shoulder and hip discomfort (both side sleepers). But now that it’s broken in, that has gone away.” — Lizzie F.
If your mattress is starting to lose its firmness—or if it never had enough for you to begin with—the Avocado Latex Mattress Topper is an excellent buy.
Not only does the topper provide good support and alignment for all sleep positions and body types, but it’s a particularly good fit for heavier sleepers looking for an extra mattress layer that won’t compress too much to be of service. Avocado also gives you the option of buying this topper in a “plush” version, so if you want something much softer, you can try that one instead.
Our biggest caveat is that the topper is pretty pricey, so we’d recommend a few more affordable mattress toppers for those who don’t have the budget for this one.
That said, from the moment you take Avocado’s latex topper out the box, its high-quality, organic construction is evident. It’s also designed to be durable—and backed by a 365-night sleep trial and 10-year warranty—so you’ll be getting a lot for your money if you choose to buy it.
Avocado Latex Mattress Review
The Avocado Latex Mattress is a responsive, cool-to-the-touch latex product perfect for the back sleeper and hot sleeper.
Latex vs Hybrid Mattresses
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Latex Mattress Toppers
Sleep easy with one of the most popular and plush topper materials. Discover our top picks for the best latex mattress toppers.