Avocado Pillow Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
The Bottom Line: The Avocado Green Pillow is a kapok fiber and shredded latex pillow with an adjustable loft. Thanks to its customizable loft, the Avocado Pillow works well for every sleeping position. It has a medium-plush feel and as much—or as little—support as you desire. It’s all-natural, organic, and biodegradable.
|Who it’s good for||Who it is not good for|
What’s Inside the Avocado Pillow
The Avocado Green Pillow is an adjustable pillow that’s made from 100% natural and organic materials. It has a medium-plush feel that’s ultra-snuggly. Yet, thanks to the compression of latex foam, it brings support that works for all sleeping positions.
Let’s take a closer look at what makes up this adjustable pillow.
- Shredded Natural Latex: GOLS certified organic latex rubber makes up 70% of the pillow’s fill. It’s naturally hypoallergenic, cooling, and moisture-wicking.
- Kapok Fiber: A tree fiber, kapok fiber is fluffy like cotton, soft like silk, and has the cloudlike feel of down feathers. It’s 100% vegan and one of the best fibers for sustainability. Kapok fiber makes up 30% of the fill.
- Organic Cotton Covers: GOTS certified organic cotton makes up both the interior liner and exterior quilted cotton cover. Both cotton layers have zippers so you can add or remove the latex/kapok fill. Only the outer cover is machine-washable.
- Extra Filling: The pillow comes with an extra bag of filling just in case you desire greater loft. You can also purchase refill bags for future use. This helps boost durability and comfort over time.
When shredded Dunlop latex is paired with luxurious kapok, you get a pillow that’s snuggly, soft, and conforming. It molds to the head and neck, delivering exceptional support and comfort.
Let’s take a look at what sets the Avocado Pillow apart from its competitors.
It’s Non-Toxic and Eco-Friendly: Finding a truly non-toxic and eco-friendly pillow is challenging. The Avocado is made from 100% organic, natural materials that are vegan-friendly. This is demonstrated by the Avocado’s many certifications. These include:
- Greenguard Gold Certified for low emissions
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified organic cotton and kapok
- Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certified organic latex
- Eco-INSTITUT certified for natural and eco-friendly materials
- MADE SAFE certified for non-toxic materials
- OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1 certified cotton
- Certified Vegan for zero animal testing or animal products
It Sleeps Cool: The shredded latex and fluffy kapok fibers facilitate airflow, while the cotton cover is naturally breathable. This makes this mattress excellent for hot sleepers.
It’s Adjustable: Pillows aren’t one-size-fits-all. The correct loft varies based upon your body size and sleeping position. For instance, stomach sleepers need a flat pillow and side sleepers a lofty one. An adjustable pillow helps you find the right loft.
The most important factor to consider when finding the right pillow is how you sleep. Let’s take a look at how this pillow supports different sleeping positions.
Side sleepers need a pillow that molds to their unique body shape. This ensures that the head and neck are properly aligned. The Avocado Pillow is one of the best pillows that we’ve found for those who sleep on their sides.
Because every person has a different body shape and size, the correct pillow loft varies. Because the Avocado is adjustable, you can find the right thickness. Additionally, the unique fill molds to your body’s contours, feeling both soft and supportive.
When you sleep on your back, you want a pillow that’s neither too thick nor too thin. A thick pillow kinks your neck, a recipe for early morning pain and stiffness. But a thin pillow is uncomfortable and leads to tossing and turning.
Back sleepers can find the correct loft with the Avocado Pillow. And unlike some other types of pillows, this pillow isn’t going to get flatter over the night. Many reviewers have been impressed by how the Avocado holds its shape all night long.
Stomach sleeping is the only position that doesn’t require a pillow. In fact, a pillow with much thickness is going to curve the neck in an unnatural position, leading to aches and pains.
The Avocado Pillow is a good choice for stomach sleepers, so long as you remove most of the fill. By making an ultra-thin pillow, you can enjoy the cushion of a pillow without the harmful loft.
Pros and Cons
There is no such thing as the perfect pillow for everyone. That’s why we like to outline the pros and cons of a pillow so you can see the full picture.
- Customizable comfort: You can make this pillow as thin or thick as you’d like.
- Excellent Cushion: This pillow molds to your unique body shape and delivers impressive pressure relief.
- High-Quality Materials: This pillow is made from organic, natural materials.
- Made in the United States: Avocado products are designed in Hoboken, New Jersey and handmade in Los Angeles, California.
- Risk-Free Trial Period: You can return your pillow for a full refund during the 100-night trial period.
- Free Shipping: Avocado offers complimentary FedEx shipping.
- Cost: The Avocado latex pillow has a higher-than-average price point.
- Must Fluff: For the most comfortable fit each night, you should fluff your pillow. This allows it to take the correct shape.
- Off-Gassing: There is a slight odor when you first unbox the Avocado. This is a temporary scent. Because the materials are organic and natural, it’s non-toxic.
Sizing and Pricing
|Standard Size||19” x 25”||$99|
|Queen Size||19” x 29”||$109|
|King Size||19” x 35”||$119|
Q: How is my new pillow shipped?
A: It’s compressed in a box. Unboxing it is simple, and it will puff up to life quickly.
Q: If I return the Avocado Pillow, do I have to pay for shipping?
A: No, Avocado covers the return shipping cost. However, you will need to package it yourself.
Q: Do I need to use a separate pillowcase with the Avocado Green Pillow?
A: Because the outer cotton cover is removable and machine-washable, you don’t have to. However, we recommend that you do. It helps keep the pillow clean.
Should You Buy It?
The Avocado Green Pillow is a sustainable and non-toxic pillow. Every material is organic, natural, and vegan-friendly. The latex/kapok fill brings a soft yet supportive feel. And because it’s adjustable, it works for every body size and sleeping position.
Our only qualm with the Avocado pillow is its price point. For a more affordable adjustable pillow, check out the Coop Home Goods shredded memory foam pillow.
Avocado Green Mattress Review
The Avocado mattress is a good choice for back sleepers and stomach sleepers looking for an eco-friendly mattress. See how Avocado scored in our mattress lab tests.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Purple Pillow Review
Is the Purple Pillow worth your time? We’ll tell you what we think in this Purple Pillow review that covers comfort, feel, materials, and trial period.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Adjustable Pillows
Have you ever experienced a bad night of sleep due to an ill-fitting pillow? Adjustable pillows make bad sleep a thing of the past. Read below to find out our top picks for the best adjustable pillows.