Bear Weighted Blanket Review
Curious about Bear’s weighted blanket? Read on to hear why we think it’s a worthwhile addition to your cozy blanket collection.
May 13th, 2022 •
Weighted blankets have been hyped up in recent years. Several studies have shown them to help treat insomnia through Deep Pressure Stimulation (DPS). That’s just a fancy way of saying that pressure somehow makes your brain feel better about life. Think about how nice a hug feels, or, if you’re not the touchy-feely type, imagine how chill you feel in a nice leather massage chair.
Lots of bedding companies have jumped on the weighted blanket bandwagon, including Bear. This company already designs products for people with active lifestyles. What’s better for #FitLife than consistently getting a solid night’s sleep? In this review, we’ll deep dive into why we love Bear’s Weighted Blanket.
What Is This Blanket Made of?
Glass isn’t something you’d usually associate with comfort, but hear me out…have you ever stood under one of those spa-quality shower heads that rain thousands of drops of water over your sore back? Picture that, but with tiny glass beads tucked into a plush microfiber quilt.
Sounds nice, right? Lots of people think so. One reviewer said sleeping with the Bear Weighted Blanket felt like sleeping in a big bear hug, but less hot and sweaty.
Here’s how weighted blankets bring the magic: pressure from the weight of the beads relaxes your nervous system, which helps you to feel less anxious. Lower stress levels can reduce pain, help you fall asleep, and even ease Restless Leg Syndrome.
Deep Pressure Stimulation also produces serotonin in your brain, which is responsible for helping you feel calm. If that wasn’t good enough news, serotonin turns into melatonin which is a hormone necessary for falling asleep. The general vibe here is that weighted blankets = sleep.
Polyester Microfiber Cover
Bear takes cozy to the next level with a super soft microfiber cover. Microfiber is a great choice if you’re prone to spills or sleep hot, since it repels water. Unlike cotton, it won’t soak up your night sweats and cause stinky odors. It’s also more durable than other textiles, so it lasts longer.
Bear sews a quilted pattern into their weighted blanket and fills each square with glass beads. These channels prevent the beads from rolling to the side of the blanket when it’s draped over you. The even distribution also helps the blanket to contour around your curves, so you feel pressure all over your body, not just in concentrated clumps.
What Makes the Bear Weighted Blanket Unique?
- Goldilocks Weight: The Bear Weighted Blanket is 15lbs, which is an ideal weight if you’re just dipping your toe into the world of heavy blankets. A lighter weight might be suitable for a child, but wouldn’t feel very different from a thick quilt to an adult. Heavier blankets are great for some people, especially couples who need weight distribution across two bodies, but might make a newbie feel smothered.
- Glass Beads: Some weighted blankets use pellets, sand, or even rice to create deep touch pressure. Micro glass beads are arguably the best fill for several reasons: they don’t have an odor when warm like rice or beans, they’re not as potentially messy as sand, and they just feel more luxurious than pellets.
- Hypoallergenic: The last thing any napper wants to worry about is an allergic reaction to bedding. Rest easy because Bear’s Weighted Blanket is 100% hypoallergenic
Related: Best Weighted Blankets
Reasons You Should Buy/Not Buy the Bear Weighted Blanket
You’ll love the Bear Weighted Blanket if…
- You’ve never used a heavy blanket and are curious about the benefits of a weighted blanket. Bear’s blanket is only 15lbs, which is a good middle-ground weight if you are used to a down or cotton comforter.
- You struggle to relax at night. Weighted blankets mimic the effects of hands-on therapy—like massage. Deep touch pressure is proven to improve sleep quality and reduce physical or mental sensations that disrupt deep sleep.
- You want to test out your weighted blanket before committing to it. Bear gives you 100-nights to return your blanket if it’s just not doing the trick.
- You experience pain or muscle spasms that make it hard to fall asleep or stay asleep. The calming effects of a weighted blanket produce the chemicals and hormones that make you feel a sense of wellness. When your mind isn’t racing, you are less likely to feel stressed about pain. Calmness interrupts the toxic pain-anxiety cycle that keeps so many people up at night.
You may want to pass on the Bear Weighted Blanket if…
- You’re a hot sleeper. Microfiber woven incredibly tight, so it isn’t as breathable as cotton. If you already overheat while sleeping or napping, this thick microfiber blanket probably won’t help you to keep cool.
- You are claustrophobic. Even with all of the mental and physical benefits of weighted pressure, you’re just not going to be able to relax if you feel boxed in by your blanket. Instead, try a lighter weight blanket or simply cuddle with your sweetie or a body pillow.
- You’re pregnant or a toddler. Weighted blankets aren’t recommended for pregnant ladies, since the weight might put too much pressure on that precious bun in the oven. They also pose a suffocation risk for kids under 2 years old.
- You have a King or California King size bed. Bear only offers their weighted blanket in Queen size, so it won’t completely cover a mattress surface larger than that.
Take a peek at the different sizes and color options Bear offers for their weighted blanket.
Sizes and Prices
Shipping and Return Policy
Bear ships your weighted blanket for free via FedEx. It usually arrives at your home within 2-7 business days. The delivery time depends on how far you live from their warehouse in New Jersey.
If you want to return your weighted blanket, you can do so during the trial period. You’ll get a full refund, but will have to cover return shipping costs.
Trial and Warranty
Bear gives you a 30-night trial period to test whether their weighted blanket helps you to get better sleep. They protect their weighted blanket with a 1-year warranty that covers manufacturing defects. Make sure you don’t misuse your blanket, or your warranty could be void. Also, keep your original proof of purchase, as you’ll need that to make a warranty claim.
- “For anyone who might be having trouble sleeping during these unprecedented and difficult times, and for anyone else just looking for a better night’s sleep, the weighted blanket provides security and serenity for the mind and body. When I slip under the weighted blanket I know it’s time to recharge, and I wake up feeling more calm and relaxed than ever before.” – Rita B.
- “I keep needing to buy weighted blankets because my family keeps stealing them! None of the other blankets compare to the quality of the BEAR weighted blanket. While I prefer a heavier blanket, the construction and consistency of this one is superior to the others I’ve purchased. If you are under 180lbs or so this blanket is perfect.” – Eric M.
- “I bought this for my daughter who deals with anxiety and she has been using it for about 2 months now and it has helped her tremendously! It’s also very comfortable and helps her stay in deep sleep without any interruptions.” – David L.
Pros and Cons
|Relaxation: Weighted pressure promotes relaxation and better sleep.||Wash: It’s not machine washable, so it can only be hand washed.|
|Easy Clean: The microfiber cover is easy to spot clean.||Heat: It can be too hot for some sleepers.|
|Cost: Bear’s weighted blanket is reasonably priced and can be financed.||Size: Bear only sells their weighted blanket in Queen size.|
Other Bear Reviews
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Adjustable Pillows
Have you ever experienced a bad night of sleep due to an ill-fitting pillow? Adjustable pillows make bad sleep a thing of the past. Read below to find out our top picks for the best adjustable pillows.
Bear vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison
Are you shopping for a new mattress, but can’t decide between the Tempur-Pedic and Bear brands? Read our Bear vs Tempur-Pedic mattress comparison for help.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Weighted Blanket Covers
What’s better than a weighted blanket? One that’s outfitted in a super-soft and protective cover. Try out a weighted blanket cover and you’ll soon see what we mean. Within this list, you’ll find all of our favorite weighted blanket covers.