updated July 2023
Beautyrest vs Sealy Mattress Comparison
In our Beautyrest vs Sealy mattress comparison, you’ll learn about the benefits, feel, build, and price points of 3 models from each of these US-based mattress industry leaders.
Sealy and Simmons Beautyrest are household names. Both Simmons and Sealy started in the 1800s in the United States, and they still manufacture their mattresses in the USA. They’re two brands that you’ll often see when shopping at a local retailer, but now you can purchase their mattresses from the comfort of your living room.
In this review, we’re going to compare the Sealy Hybrid line with Beautyrest’s most popular mattresses. We’ll help you understand the differences between the companies and their mattresses so you can find the best bed for your needs.
|Best For||Luxury mattress shoppers, soft mattress lovers, every sleeping position, hot sleepers||People with back pain, budget shoppers, firm mattress fans, every sleeping position|
|Special Features||T3 Pocketed Coil Technology, Cooling + Comfort Upgrades, BeautyEdge, RightTemp Memory Foam||Sealy Posturepedic Technology, DuraFlex Coil Edge System, Up to 1,540 Coil Count, Immersion Advanced Memory Foam|
- Hybrid Design: Every Beautyrest mattress is a hybrid bed made from layers of pocketed coils, memory foam, and polyfoam. The Sealy Hybrid line of mattresses is made from these same materials.
- Multiple Firmnesses: Both companies offer multiple firmnesses with some of their beds. This allows shoppers to choose the right feel for their sleeping position and personal preferences.
- Warranty: Both mattress brands offer a 10-year warranty. This is the industry-standard warranty period.
- Price: Beautyrest is a luxury mattress brand with average pricing that’s higher than Sealy’s hybrid beds.
- Thickness: While both brands manufacture mattresses that are thicker than the common 10” bed, Beautyrest mattresses are typically thicker than Sealy beds. These additional layers mean a more opulent feel.
- Cooling: Beautyrest’s cooling upgrades make their mattresses better for hot sleepers than the Sealy mattresses.
- Delivery: Beautyrest mattresses come with free white glove delivery, which means new mattress setup and old mattress removal. Sealy mattresses only come with free standard delivery, so you’ll have to set up your new bed.
Beautyrest Black Hybrid vs Sealy Hybrid Essentials
- Three Firmness Levels: The Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattress comes in medium, plush, or ultra-plush. These firmnesses are great for people who find most mattresses too firm.
- Deep Contouring Feel: With between 4” and 5.5” of cradling foam, this mattress hugs the body for a feeling that’s more akin to sleeping “in” than “on” the mattress. This memory foam mattress feel means excellent pressure relief for side sleepers.
- Cooling for Hot Sleepers: The Black Hybrid is cooler than the average hybrid mattress thanks to cooling foams and breathable innerspring coils.
- Excellent for Couples: In the Mattress Advisor lab, the Black Hybrid earned a 9/10 for both motion transfer and edge support. Most couples sleep better on a mattress that absorbs motion and has good support along the entire sleeping surface.
Sealy Hybrid Essentials Mattress Review Highlights
- Sturdy Edges: The DuraFlex Coil Edge System ensures adequate edge support by placing tighter, more durable coils along the mattress perimeter. Sturdy edges matter if you share the bed and need every inch of space or if you sit along the edges.
- Cool Sleep: Sealy’s cover is designed to wick moisture away, keeping you nice and dry. And with heat-dispersing gel memory foam and breathable innerspring coils, this is a good mattress for hot sleepers.
- Firm Support: The Hybrid Essentials is a firm mattress. Its feel registers at a 7 on the 1-10 firmness scale, with 1 being the softest. This level of support is great for most stomach sleepers and back sleepers who like a firmer feel.
- Pocketed Coil Technology: Sealy Response Pro Encased Coils move independently of one another. This means targeted pressure relief and support, along with excellent motion isolation.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Simmons Beautyrest Black Hybrid is a high-quality mattress. With either 13.5” or 15” of foam and coils, depending on which model you choose, there’s enough cushion and responsive support for every body size. The Original has a medium feel, the Comfort Upgrade a medium-soft firmness, and the Comfort + Pressure Relief is a soft mattress. This mattress is best for people who find most beds too firm.
The Sealy Hybrid Essentials mattress is their entry-line hybrid bed. It measures 12” thick, with sufficient support for most body types. The support system is made from pocketed coils, a design that gives at pressure points while supporting the body’s natural curves. There are just two top foam layers, with the comfort layer made from high-density gel-infused memory foam. The feel is one of firm support with a slightly bouncy, traditional innerspring mattress feel.
When comparing these mattresses, the biggest difference is that the Sealy Hybrid Essentials is much firmer. A firmer mattress is typically better for stomach sleepers, while the softer feel of the Beautyrest Black Hybrid is well-suited for side sleepers. Back sleepers may enjoy either mattress, simply depending upon firmness preference. The thicker foam layers of the Beautyrest mattress make it better at isolating motion, better for couples.
Black Hybrid Optional Features Come at a Price
The high-end Beautyrest Black Hybrid is roughly twice as expensive as the more affordable Sealy Hybrid Essentials mattress, depending upon which size and model you choose.
|Beautyrest Black Hybrid||Sealy Hybrid Essentials|
|Twin||Not Available||Not Available|
Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond vs Sealy Hybrid Performance
Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond Mattress Review Highlights
- Extreme Softness: The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond is one of the thickest hybrid mattresses that we’ve seen. With well over 6” of pressure-relieving foam, this is one of the softest hybrid mattresses around—excellent for soft mattress lovers.
- Multiple Firmness Options: As is typical of Beautyrest mattresses, this bed comes in multiple versions. The Classic Top is available in medium or plush, and the Pillow Top comes in ultra-plush or medium.
- Cooling Technology: Simmons utilizes cooling technology in nearly every layer of this mattress. The result is a soft, opulent mattress that doesn’t sleep hot.
- Impressive Motion Isolation: With extremely thick foam layers and pocketed coils, you’ll barely feel your partner move around at night.
Sealy Hybrid Performance Mattress Review Highlights
- Multiple Firmness Levels: The Hybrid Performance mattress comes in two firmness options. The plush is more of a medium-soft mattress and the firm a medium-firm bed. This allows you to choose the right mattress based on your comfort preferences.
- Posturepedic Technology: With 20% more coils along the heavier lumbar region, Posturepedic Technology supports healthy spine alignment. This type of support is especially important for stomach sleepers and heavy people.
- Pressure Relief: Three layers of comfort foam including a conforming memory foam limits excess pressure at areas like the shoulders and hips.
- Good for Couples: Coils that move independently from one another paired with generous foam layers limit motion transfer. Durable coils along the edges make it possible to spread out safely. Combined, this makes an excellent couple’s mattress.
An Inside Look
The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond mattress is a thick, lavish hybrid mattress. With 9.5” of supportive pocketed coils, there’s plenty of support for every body size. Above these coils are 5–6 foam layers with various cooling innovations. Compared to most mattresses that have three or fewer foam layers, the Lux Diamond is softer and feels more like sleeping on a cloud. It comes in medium, plush, and ultra-plush firmnesses.
The Sealy Hybrid Performance is Sealy’s most affordable hybrid with their Posturepedic Technology. With Posturepedic, there are 20% more steel coils where you need them most—along the body’s heavy trunk. This added support stops the hips from sinking in too low. Above this support system are three layers of foam. The top layer of ComfortSense Gel Memory Foam brings both cushion and cooling. It comes in plush (medium-soft) or firm (medium-firm).
We recommend the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond mattress for side sleepers, lightweight people, and anyone else who wants an incredibly plush, luxurious feel. The Sealy Hybrid Performance is better for stomach sleepers, plus-size people, and people with back pain. This is thanks to the added support along the body’s core that comes with Sealy’s Posturepedic Technology. Both are high-quality mattresses that are durable and sleep cool.
Sealy Hybrid Performance: More Affordable but Less Customizable
The Sealy Hybrid Performance has a lower price point than the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond. Only the Beautyrest mattress is available in twin size.
|Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond||Sealy Hybrid Performance|
Beautyrest Black vs Sealy Hybrid Premium
Beautyrest Black Mattress Review Highlights
- Luxury: Beautyrest is known as a high-end mattress brand, and the Beautyrest Black is their most luxurious mattress.
- Universal Firmness or Plush Pillow Top: The Black mattress Original and Cooling Upgrade models are both medium-firm mattresses, the preferred firmness of most people. With the Cooling + Comfort Upgrade, it becomes a soft pillowtop mattress.
- Extreme Cooling: This high-end mattress was designed to sleep cool. With the Cooling or Cooling + Comfort Upgrade, you have one of the best hybrid mattresses for hot sleepers.
- Good for Aches and Pains: The Beautyrest Black earned a 9.5/10 in our pressure relief test and a 10/10 in our spine alignment evaluation. Combined, these results show us that the Black is one of the best mattresses for people with body pain.
Sealy Hybrid Premium Mattress Review Highlights
- Multiple Firmness Options: You can choose between three firmness options. Here’s how they fall on the 1-10 firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest: ultra-plush (3), plush (5), and firm (7).
- Zoned Innerspring Support: The concentration of supportive steel coils is greatest along the middle third of the bed. This stops the heavier trunk from dipping, keeping your spine properly aligned.
- Cooling Mattress: The cover, foam, and innerspring coils are all designed for optimal temperature regulation. The mattress cover boasts Sealy’s revolutionary ChillTech cooling technology while the memory foam and coils support ample airflow.
- Great Durability: This mattress measures between 14” and 15”. The layers include materials known to support durability, including high-density memory foam, innerspring coils, high-density base foam, and extra-supportive perimeter coils.
An Inside Look
The Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress is their most extravagant mattress. It’s made from the most advanced foam and coil technologies that Simmons has to offer. Their T3 Pocketed Coils with BeautyEdge provide excellent support and contouring along the entire mattress surface. The multiple memory foam layers offer unbeatable pressure relief and cooling properties. Choose from the medium-firm Original and Cooling Upgrade, or the plush pillow top model.
The Sealy Hybrid Performance is Sealy’s most luxurious hybrid mattress. At 14”–15” thick, this mattress boasts sufficient cushion and support for every body size. It has three upper foam layers, including Sealy’s luxurious Immersion Advanced Memory Foam for excellent pressure relief. Its supportive coils are zoned for great body contouring and support. It comes in three firmnesses that range from plush to firm, therefore working for every sleeping position.
The Sealy Hybrid Performance’s zoned support makes it superior for bigger bodies. The Beautyrest Black contains even greater cooling innovations, wonderful for hot sleepers. Both mattresses are luxuriant and incredibly durable.
Both Customizable; Both at Luxury Prices
These mattresses have comparable price points, although the most luxuriant Beautyrest Black model is more expensive than the Sealy Hybrid Premium mattress.
|Beautyrest Black||Sealy Hybrid Premium|
|Twin||Not Available||Not Available|
Beautyrest Mattresses Are Slightly Thicker
Beautyrest and Sealy mattresses have similar dimensions. They’re both thicker than most mattresses.
|Twin||38” x 75”||38” x 74.5”|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||38” x 79.5”|
|Full||53” x 75”||53” x 74.5”|
|Queen||60” x 80”||60” x 79.5”|
|King||76” x 80”||76” x 79.5”|
|California King||72” x 84”||72” x 83.5”|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Sealy and Simmons Beautyrest have nearly identical 100-night sleep trials with free returns. The only difference is that Sealy has a 30-day waiting period before they’ll accept a return, while Simmons does not.
Both brands back their mattresses with the mattress industry-standard 10-year limited warranty. These warranties cover defects that occur during this period.
Which Brand Is Right for You?
Beautyrest offers the ultimate in luxury hybrid mattresses. Every one of their beds has thick foam layers that provide excellent motion isolation and pressure relief. Sealy’s Hybrid line is less expensive, with the Premium and Premier offering zoned support that’s great for heavy people, stomach sleepers, and back pain relief.
Another difference that’s helpful when deciding which is the right brand is that Beautyrest mattresses are typically softer and more cloud-like than Sealy beds. For a firmer feel, go with Sealy. But if you’re after a plush experience, consider Beautyrest.
Both mattress brands offer risk-free 100-night trials. This means you can try out any of the mattresses outlined in this review in your bedroom before making a final commitment.
Simmons Beautyrest Mattress Reviews
Simmons Beautyrest mattresses are traditional hybrid mattresses offering cooling comfort and support. Read our reviews of the black, platinum, silver, hybrid, and Beautyrest collections.
Simmons Beautyrest Alternatives
Is Simmons Beautyrest better than newer mattress brands? Check out these Beautyrest mattress alternatives to see how they stack up.
Sealy Mattress Reviews
The Sealy mattress brand has been around for 130 years, making mattresses right here in the USA. Check out our Sealy mattress reviews and explore the Posturepedic comfort.