Beautyrest vs Stearns & Foster Mattress Comparison
We’re comparing eight quality mattresses in this Beautyrest vs Stearns & Foster side-by-side comparison. You’ll get a clearer idea of which brand—and mattress—is the right fit for you.
Jan 5th, 2021 •
It’s hard to go wrong with a Beautyrest or Stearns & Foster mattress—both brands have been perfecting their craft for over a hundred years. Stearns & Foster mattresses were first produced in the mid-1800s, and Simmons Beautyrest mattresses followed a few decades later. These brands are so trusted that you can find their mattresses in retailers across the country and even the globe.
These mattress companies make high quality mattress collections that include traditional innerspring and hybrid mattresses, as well as memory foam mattresses. We’re taking a close look at four hybrid mattress models from each brand, comparing how they differ by construction, functionality, price, and more.
Read More: Compare Mattresses
Beautyrest vs Stearns & Foster Overview
|Beautyrest||Stearns & Foster|
|Best For||Hot sleepers, couples, budget-conscious shoppers||Luxury shoppers, all-sleeping positions, heavy body types|
|Special Features||Gel-infused memory foam, pocket coils, cool-to-touch cover fabric||Tencel cover fabric, premium memory foam, edge support coils|
- It’s rare that we compare two mattress brands as established as Beautyrest and Stearns & Foster. Both companies are known for their quality craftsmanship, expertise, and innovation—Beautyrest was even the first to introduce queen and king size beds!
- Your new mattress is protected by a 10-year warranty, whether you buy from Beautyrest or Stearns & Foster.
- All of the mattresses in this comparison are hybrid models, meaning they are constructed with a mix of premium foams and spring coils.
- Beautyrest and Stearns & Foster mattresses are made in the United States. Many Stearns & Foster beds are made at the Tempur-Sealy facility in North Carolina, and Beautyrest beds are made at facilities across the country.
- Beautyrest and Stearns & Foster have different pricing. Beautyrest ranges $300–$1,000 less than Stearns & Foster.
- Beautyrest offers a twin size for some of their mattress models, whereas Stearns & Foster does not. Also, Stearns & Foster calls their full size a double size.
- Each brand tries to stand out from the crowd by incorporating different cooling features. Beautyrest uses cool-to-touch cover fabric, open cell foam, and carbon fiber infused foam. Stearns & Foster uses a moisture-wicking Tencel cover and air vents.
- Stearns & Foster has more firmness options, as well as pillow top mattress options.
Beautyrest Black vs Estate Rockwell
Beautyrest Black Mattress Review Highlights
- Beautyrest says their Beautyrest Black is the top innerspring mattress in the industry. It’s their premier line, so it includes their best innovations.
- You can shop the original Beautyrest Black mattress or add cooling and comfort upgrades.
- The Beautyrest Black line pioneered BlackICE foam comfort layers, which actively cool your sleeping surface.
- This bed earned a perfect 10/10 score during our spinal alignment test, which makes it a good mattress for those with back pain.
Estate Rockwell Mattress Review Highlights
- The Estate Rockwell mattress is offered in a handful of firmness options. Not only can you choose from plush, firm, and ultra firm, but you can also add a plush or firm pillow top.
- The Estate Rockwell features Indulge memory foam, which is a foam designed by Tempur-Pedic exclusively for Stearns & Foster. It has the close, conforming feel of traditional memory foam.
- Air vents along the side of the Estate Rockwell allow air to flow freely through the mattress, instead of pooling under your body.
- IntelliCoil pocket coils have a unique coil-in-coil design that improves support and durability.
Compare Mattress Construction
The differences between the Beautyrest Black mattress and Estate Rockwell mattress start at the cover. The Beautyrest Black is wrapped in cool-to-the-touch fabric that provides an immediate cooling sensation when you lie down. The Estate Rockwell is encased in Tencel fabric sourced from eucalyptus plants. Tencel is moisture-wicking and improves airflow, but not cool-on-contact.
Next, the Beautyrest Black mattress is available with one firmness level—medium-firm—while the Estate Rockwell is offered in plush, firm, and ultra firm mattress options, plus a firm and plush pillow top option. You’ll notice this difference primarily in each mattress’s comfort layers and loft level. The Beautyrest Black earned top marks for pressure relief in our lab test, but you also get good pressure relief on the plush Rockwell Estate.
Finally, these beds use different foams and pocket coil support layers. The Beautyrest Black is made with several layers of comfort foam and gel memory foam. It’s anchored by Pocketed Coil Technology and an edge support system. These features are great for motion transfer but only average for responsiveness. The Estate Rockwell is made with IntelliCoil pocket coils that improve responsiveness and motion transfer.
|Beautyrest Black||Estate Rockwell|
Beautyrest Hybrid vs Estate Hurston
Beautyrest Hybrid Mattress Review Highlights
- The Beautyrest Hybrid mattress does a good job of relieving pressure on your hips and shoulders.
- The Beautyrest Hybrid is constructed with extra cooling layers near the surface that are both cool-on-contact and cooling throughout the night.
- This bed performed really well during our motion transfer test—so well that our testers gave it a near-perfect score for motion isolation.
- You won’t need to worry about slipping off the sides of the Beautyrest Hybrid, thanks to excellent edge support.
Estate Hurston Mattress Review Highlights
- The Estate Hurston is Stearns & Foster’s most affordable mattress. It’s technically a mid-luxury mattress, but you’ll pay the same amount for luxury bed-in-a-box mattresses like Saatva.
- You can choose from three different firmness levels—firm, cushion-firm (or medium-firm), and plush, plus a firm or plush pillow top.
- A layer of gel foam on the top of the Estate Hurston mattress is cushy, comfy, and pressure relieving.
- The Estate Hurston is made with premium design details like hand-signed labels and woven handles for easy transportation.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Beautyrest Hybrid and Estate Hurston have similar constructions but are made with different materials that are proprietary to their brands. The Beautyrest Hybrid is wrapped in an instantly cooling mattress cover, while the Estate Hurston sports a soft, stretchy Tencel cover that is breathable and moisture-wicking.
On top, the Beautyrest Hybrid has two layers of medium gel memory foam. You can add a plush or ultra plush comfort upgrade to soften up the mattress surface, but those are the only firmness alternatives. The Estate Hurston comes with gel foam in firm, cushion firm, or plush feels (plus two pillow top upgrades), so you get more diversity in firmness options. However, you’ll likely sink deeper into plush foams, which can cause some sleepers to overheat.
Finally, the performance of the coil layers on these beds aren’t going to differ dramatically. The Beautyrest Hybrid includes the 1,000 Series Firm Pocketed Coil system, while the Estate Hurston has the IntelliCoil system. Both isolate motion and provide lots of support, so you’ll want to base your decision on how well the comfort layers meet your needs.
|Beautyrest Hybrid||Estate Hurston|
Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon vs Lux Estate Hybrid Pollock
Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon Mattress Review Highlights
- The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon mattress is an eco-conscious option that’s covered in Seaqual fabric made from plastic water bottles collected from the ocean.
- The RightTemp Wave foam is made with carbon fibers that help to prevent heat from building up in the mattress, which keeps you cool.
- The Harmony Lux Carbon mattress is available in three firmness levels—plush, medium, and extra firm. You can also add a plush pillow top.
- We were blown away by how well the BeautyEdge foam frame supported activity on the edge of the bed, so we gave it a perfect 10/10 for edge support.
Lux Estate Hybrid Pollock Mattress Review Highlights
- The Lux Estate Hybrid Pollock is available in plush mattress feels, including cushion firm, plush, and ultra plush.
- A layer of gel memory foam absorbs excess heat, while Air vents push hot air out of the mattress each time you move.
- Softer firmness levels provide ample pressure point relief to side sleepers and anyone who prefers a soft mattress.
- As a Lux Estate mattress, the Hybrid Pollock comes with luxury features like velvet accents, embroidered fabrics, and copper air vents.
Compare Mattress Construction
The mattress covers for these two beds are significantly different. The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon mattress cover is made with InfiniCool Lux technology that instantly cools when in contact with your skin. It’s also made with recycled Seaqual fabric. The Luxe Estate Hybrid Pollock mattress cover is Stearns & Foster’s signature Tencel cover that is moisture-wicking and breathable but not instantly cooling.
The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon takes cooling to a new level with open cell AirFeel foam that is both soft and breathable. Beneath, layers of carbon-infused foam and gel memory foam also work to cool your body. In contrast, the Indulge memory foam on top of the Lux Estate Hybrid Pollock has a close, conforming feel that is more likely to trap heat.
You’ll experience superior motion transfer and edge support with the coil support layers on both beds. It’s worth noting that we gave the Harmony Lux Carbon a perfect score for edge support and that the Hybrid Pollock features an proprietary Precision Edge support system.
|Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon||Lux Estate Hybrid Pollock|
Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond vs Lux Estate Cassatt
Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond Mattress Review Highlights
- The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond mattress is the only Beautyrest mattress to use Micro Diamond memory foam, which actively pulls heat away from your body.
- This mattress also features a Precision Support System that gives each region of your body the measured amount of support that it needs.
- You can choose from medium or plush firmness levels and add a pillow top option.
- The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond mattress combines multiple layers of pressure relieving memory foam.
Lux Estate Cassatt Mattress Review Highlights
- As a Lux Estate mattress, the Cassatt model includes Indulge HD memory foam, which is a high density memory foam designed to conform to the intimate curves of your body.
- The Lux Estate Cassatt is available with firmer feels that especially suits back and stomach sleepers. They include plush, firm, and ultra firm options. You can also add a pillow top in firm, plush, and ultra plush firmness levels.
- The AirVent system allows air to freely flow through the mattress, which keeps you cooler. The Lux Estate Cassatt also includes a ventilated coil system.
- This model is made with luxurious details like velvet handles, navy upholstery-grade fabrics, and copper air vents.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond mattress and Lux Estate Cassatt mattress have very different covers. The Lux Estate Cassatt is wrapped in Tencel fabric, and the Harmony Lux Diamond uses Seaqual sustainable fabric and InfiniCool Lux cooling technology. The main difference here is that the Harmony Lux Diamond will likely feel cooler to touch than the Lux Estate Cassatt.
The comfort layers also differ quite a bit. The Harmony Lux Diamond mattress has five layers of comfort foam and memory foam, while the Lux Estate Cassatt has only Indulge HD memory foam. The main difference between these foams is that those in the Harmony Lux Diamond are all considerably more responsive than the Indulge HD foam in the Lux Estate Cassatt.
Both mattresses are supported by pocket coils that do a great job of isolating motion, improving airflow, and keeping you supported on the edges of the bed.
|Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond||Lux Estate Cassatt|
Compare Beautyrest vs Stearns & Foster Sizes
Take a look at the mattress dimensions for Beautyrest and Stearns & Foster below. Notice that Stearns & Foster mattresses are one inch shorter than Beautyrest mattresses.
|Beautyrest||Stearns & Foster|
|Twin||38″ x 75”||N/A|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80”||38″ x 79”|
|Full||53″ x 75”||53″ x 74”|
|Queen||60″ x 80”||60″ x 79”|
|King||76″ x 80”||76″ x 79”|
|California King||72″ x 84”||72″ x 83”|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Beautyrest offers a consistent 100-night trial period, whereas the Stearns & Foster trial period depends on the retailer where you buy your mattress. For example, Amazon will have a different trial period than your local Mattress Firm or Macy’s.
The same holds true for returns. Stearns & Foster mattress returns vary by retailer. Beautyrest mattresses that are bought directly from Beautyrest can be returned during the trial period. You only need to email email@example.com, and they’ll schedule a time for your mattress to be picked up. Then you’ll receive a full refund.
The Simmons Beautyrest warranty lasts for 10 years and protects against manufacturing defects. You’ll receive a replacement mattress if your claim is approved. The Stearns & Foster mattress warranty also lasts for 10 years and covers faulty workmanship or materials. You’ll get a mattress repair or replacement, and you’ll need to cover any transportation costs. Stearns & Foster is owned by Sealy, so don’t be surprised if you see the Sealy name with your warranty.
Verdict: Which Is the Best Mattress Brand?
Beautyrest and Stearns & Foster are both mid-level luxury mattress brands, but Beautyrest takes the cake for affordable prices, cooling features, and motion isolation. They also have a more consistent sleep trial and return policy. Stearns & Foster mattresses prioritize luxury details and materials like Tempur-Pedic-inspired Indulge memory foam.
Clearly, Beautyrest is better for shoppers interested in a luxury experience at a more modest price point. Beautyrest is also a better option for indecisive shoppers who want an official trial period and dependable return policy.
We recommend firmer or luxury firm mattresses for back and stomach sleepers. That includes most of the Stearns & Foster mattresses, as well as the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon. Side sleepers will fare well on any of the Beautyrest options—especially the Beautyrest Black—or Stearns & Foster plush or comfort-firm options. Hot sleepers will generally stay cooler on Beautyrest mattresses or Stearns & Foster mattresses with gel memory foam, like the Estate Hurston.
Related: Simmons Beautyrest Alternatives
Beautyrest Mattress Return Policy
Feeling sleepy just thinking about the Beautyrest return policy? We break down the return and exchange process, when to expect your refund, and the fine print.
Beautyrest Mattress Warranty
We cover all the details about Simmons Beautyrest mattress warranties in this quick and easy-to-digest guide. Topics: warranty coverage, warranty period, etc.
Stearns & Foster Mattress Reviews
Stearns & Foster mattresses are crafted for lasting comfort and durability. Stearns & Foster incorporates memory foam and coils. See which mattress best suits you.