Best Cooling Mattress Toppers
Feb 24th, 2022 •
A gel mattress topper is an added layer of cushioning that is placed atop your mattress. Over the years, your mattress flattens out and becomes less and less comfortable, but with the addition of a quality mattress topper, you can restore some of the comfort and support to an older mattress without having to break the bank.
Gel mattress toppers are similar to memory foam toppers because most are made of memory foam. However, because of the tendency for memory foam to trap heat, the foam has been infused with a cooling gel or cooling gel beads to enhance air circulation and temperature regulation. If you are interested in how a gel mattress topper may benefit your sleep health and how to choose the perfect one for your bedroom, check out this shopping guide for more information. We have also picked out our favorite gel-infused mattress toppers to help you with your search.
Our Top Picks for the Best Cooling Mattress Toppers
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Milemont uses open-cell memory foam that is infused with cool gel to create this highly breathable mattress topper.
Also, the Milemont mattress features ventilation holes to improve upon the breathability of the open-cell memory foam and ensure proper air circulation. The topper comes in two profiles, a 2-inch or a 3-inch height so you can decide how soft you want your mattress to feel.
- Comes in a 2-inch and 3-inch profile
- Issues with sizing
This Linenspa gel-infused memory foam mattress topper is ultra-thick and therefore ultra plush.
The 3-inch topper is made with an infusion of temperature-regulating gel beads that capture and dissipate heat to prevent overheating. The cooling topper is also available in a 2-inch topper profile, which will not hug your body as much as the 3-inch profile. Overall, the Linenspa is an easy way to rejuvenate a hard mattress and keep you cool at night – plus, it is backed by a three-year warranty.
- 3-year warranty
- Very plush
- Comes in a 2-inch and 3-inch profile
- May not be supportive enough for some sleepers
Polar Sleep mattress toppers feature a gel bead infusion and a ventilated design to transform your mattress into the most supportive sleep environment for you.
The gel-infused memory foam captures and dissipates heat faster to keep you from waking up with those dreaded night sweats. The CertiPUR-US certified topper is free of harmful chemicals and comes in a height of either 2 or 3-inches.
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Ventilated design
- Pricey compared to similar styles
- No warranty information
Lucid’s 5-Zone Mattress Topper is a unique cooling mattress topper that features 5 distinct pressure-relieving zones.
Each of the 5 zones is designed to target a different part of the body including the head, shoulders, hips, knees, and feet. The goal of each zone is to reduce pressure points and maximize your comfort level. In addition, the 2-inch, 5-Zone Mattress Topper by Lucid is constructed from gel-infused memory foam which helps improve breathability and temperature regulation. The topper features a 3-year warranty.
- Very lightweight
- Unique five-zone design
- Heavy chemical scent at first
- Not as cool as most want
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Cooling Mattress Topper
Cooling mattress toppers come in a variety of different styles and materials – and they are not all created equal. Here are a few factors to consider when purchasing a cooling mattress topper:
- Thickness: The thicker a mattress topper is, the more cushion it provides. If you just want to add a little comfort to your bed, then a 1-2” topper will work well. On the other hand, if you want to completely transform your bed, you can add a topper up to 6” thick.
- Material: While mattress toppers can be made with a variety of materials, cooling mattress toppers are typically made from a gel-infused memory foam, which provides a high level of comfort and pressure relief for sleepers.
- Size and Fit: We often hear complaints of mattress toppers being too small or too large for the mattress size. You want to get the best fit possible so you don’t experience shifting during the night so make sure to read the measurements and reviews. In addition, it could be beneficial to purchase a trimmable topper.
- Budget: Cooling mattress toppers range anywhere from $50 to $250, so it is important to set a budget for your new mattress topper. In addition, think about how often you will be making this purchase. If you take care of your mattress topper, it will take care of you, and last for many years. You won’t have to purchase a new mattress topper for a while, so it may be a good idea to splurge on a higher quality topper rather than save on a lower-quality option.
- Certifications: There are a few notable independent companies that test products for quality such as memory foam mattress toppers. The main certifications that we recommend looking out for include CertiPUR-US, Greenguard, and OEKO-TEX. All of these organizations ensure the rigorous safety standards are met and no harmful chemicals are used in the manufacturing of the memory foam.
Related: Best Cooling Mattresses
Perks of Cooling Toppers
So, what are some of the benefits of owning a cooling mattress topper?
- Comfort: Aside from keeping you cool, these mattress toppers are also made to contour your body and relieve pressure points. With a cooling mattress topper, you will have a much more comfortable sleep surface that will help to ensure you receive the best night’s sleep possible.
- Long-term health: We all know that one-third of our lives are spent in bed, so it is obvious that the support your body receives during this time will impact your long-term health. Investing in products that will improve your comfort levels during sleep will help you wake up refreshed and ready to go each day. Also, all of the cooling mattress toppers included here are memory foam based – memory foam is famous for relieving back and neck pain
- Reduce electricity costs: If your mattress topper keeps you cool at night, you will not find yourself waking up in the middle of the night to turn on the A/C. Ultimately, it is possible that the one-time purchase of a cooling memory topper will reduce your A/C bill.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any way to enhance the cooling effect of my mattress topper?
The best way to improve the cooling power of your topper is to invest in highly breathable bedding. For example, purchase sheets made of natural materials like cotton, linen, or bamboo – all of which are highly breathable fabrics known for their cooling effects and moisture-wicking abilities. This goes for your pillowcases, too.
Will a gel mattress topper turn my old mattress like new?
Not exactly. A quality gel mattress topper will improve the comfort level of your mattress but it will not fix a mattress that needs to be replaced. For example, if your mattress is lumpy, sagging, or over 10 years old, a gel mattress topper will not transform it into the mattress of your dreams. If it is time to buy a new mattress, then nothing short of buying a new mattress is going to help you.
Will a gel topper fit my bed perfectly?
One of the most common reports we hear from individuals with a mattress topper is that they have a hard time finding the perfect fit for their mattress. In general, mattress toppers seem to be a little too big or a little too small for the mattress size, therefore, it is a good idea to purchase a topper that can be trimmed down to fit your bed.
People sleep better in the cool than they do in the heat. In fact, while you are lying in bed trying to catch some z’s, your body temperature decreases to initiate sleep. To ensure optimal sleep, the suggested bedroom temperature is somewhere between 60 and 67-degrees, however, just lowering the thermostat doesn’t work for everyone. Some of us are just hot sleepers.
Thankfully, keeping you and your bed cool at night does not have to feel like an uphill battle. Without having to break the bank, you can add a quality cooling mattress topper to your bed to improve airflow and temperature regulation – ultimately leading to a better night’s sleep. Use this informative shopping guide to learn the tips and tricks to buying a cooling mattress topper and say goodbye to night sweats.
Learn common causes of night sweats for men, women, and those with medical conditions. Read about ways to treat night sweats and tips for staying cool in your sleep. Plus, check out our favorite cooling sleep accessories.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Sheets
Cooling sheets are a smart investment for those prone to sleeping hot or night sweating. Finding the right set can be laborious; here are some things to consider.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Pillows
Learn how cooling pillows, designed to refresh and release heat, can improve your sleeping experience.