The Best Deep Pocket Sheets for Thick Mattresses
Feb 23rd, 2023 •
We’ve all been there- breaking a sweat just to make our bed. The fitted sheet is always the one that brings the trouble. You have three of the four corners tucked and it’s time to conquer the last corner. With all your might, you pull as firmly, yet gently as possible- to ensure all the other corners stay in place. You’re tired, sweaty, and your bedding is so tight; it just looks uncomfortable. There has got to be a better way.
Good news- there is! Not all fitted sheets are created equal because every mattress is a little different. If your mattress is thicker than 14 inches, standard sheet sizes might fit a little too snug. Although fitted sheets are meant to tuck the majority of mattresses, that’s not always the case.
If this sounds like you, read along to discover our top picks for the best deep pocket sheets, how they vary from traditional sheets, and why you might need them.
The Best Deep Pocket Sheets
- Best Overall – Luxome Luxury Sheets
- Best Soft Deep Pocket Sheets –Cozy Earth Bamboo Sheet Set
- Best Cooling Deep Pocket Sheets – Nolah Bamboo Sheet Set
- Best Luxury Deep Pocket Sheets – Saatva Organic Sateen Sheet Set
- Best Value Deep Pocket Sheets – Brooklyn Bedding Deep Pocket Tencel Sheets
Luxome Luxury Sheets
Impressively, the Luxome Luxury Sheet Set can fit mattresses as deep as 17″, so it should suit most mattress models.
One of the biggest selling points is that this sheet set is made from bamboo viscose. This is famously a naturally cooling material, so it prevents hot sleepers from overheating at night.
These luxury sheets have a 30-night sleep trial and free shipping. So, you have plenty of time to make sure these are the best sheets for your needs and preferences.
- These sheets are STANDARD 100 OEKO-TEX certified
- Machine washable
- It comes in several sizes: twin/twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, and split king
- While there are eight stylish colors to choose from, the colors options aren’t incredibly versatile
- They’re not the best option for budget shoppers
Cozy Earth Bamboo Sheet Set
The Cozy Earth Bamboo Sheets are made from 100% viscose (derived from bamboo). This makes these sheets naturally cooling and incredibly soft. In fact, Oprah Winfrey herself endorses these sheets, calling them the “softest ever.”
This luxury option is weaved specifically so it doesn’t pill, which helps maintain that silky and soft feel. Shoppers can try out this luxury experience on twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, and split king size beds.
For eco-conscious shoppers out there, these sheets are sustainable and ethically produced. So, they can sleep well knowing that they’re making a good choice for the environment.
- Fits mattresses up to 20” in height
- All sets have two pillowcases
- 100% hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Only comes in neutral colors
- Too expensive for budget shoppers
Nolah Bamboo Sheet Set
Best Cooling Sheets for Hot Sleepers
Hot sleepers looking for deep pocket sheets should especially enjoy the Nolah Bamboo Sheet Set. These sheets are made from viscose, a material derived from bamboo.
Bamboo is a naturally cooling material with moisture-wicking properties, so it works to remove sweat from the sheets. Also, the bamboo material helps make these sheets silky, soft, and long-lasting.
The fitted sheet offers a 16-inch deep pocket, accompanied with an elastic band that ensures the sheet stays in place all night long.
- Hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites
- OEKO-TEX 100 certified and Forest Stewardship Council certified
- Comes with shipping
- No color options other than white
- Not ideal for those who prefer heavier sheets
Read our full Nolah Bamboo Sheets review.
Saatva Organic Sateen Sheet Set
Best Luxury Deep Pocket Sheets
If you want to feel like royalty while crawling into bed, the Saatva Organic Sateen Sheets have you covered.
Each set includes one fitted sheet, one flat sheet, and two pillow cases. These sheets are made with 100-percent pure cotton into a sateen luxe weave that offers an ultra-soft feel.
Because these sheets are both Fair Trade Certified certified and GOTS certified, they pass rigorous standards for ethical production and responsible materials. Of course, these sheets should suit most mattresses; they’re intended for mattresses 16 inches or less in height.
- Fits mattresses up to 16 inches in height
- Woven for a great balance of durability and breathability
- Offers a 45-night trial and a one-year limited warranty
- Only offers three neutral colors
- Pricier than other cotton sheets
Read our full Saatva Organic Sateen Sheets review.
Brooklyn Bedding Deep Pocket Tencel Sheets
Best Value Deep Pocketed Sheets
It can be difficult to sort through all of the different brands in search for a deep pocket sheet set that’s not only high quality but worth the price. The Brooklyn Bedding Deep Pocket Tencel Sheet Set is our top value pick, and for good reason.
You can find this product for $199 for a queen before discounts. While not the absolute cheapest option on the market, you’ll be sure to get a high-quality, long-lasting set.
This sheet set fits on mattresses between 11 and 15 inches. With Tencel fibers in the construction, sleepers shouldn’t overheat, as Tencel excels at temperature regulation.
- OEKO-TEX Certified
- Silky and soft feel
- Made from 100% Tencel, which is eco-friendly
- Is only available in three colors
- Not for those who prefer crisp sheets
What are deep pocket sheets?
Deep pocket sheets are designed with deeper measurements to provide thicker mattresses the proper fit. Unlike regular sheets, deep pocket sheets can measure 15 to 22 inches deep. Regular sheets are typically seven to 14 inches deep.
Designed for thick mattresses, deep pocket sheets are made with more depth in the corners, allowing you to stretch them over the thickest of mattresses with complete ease.
Why would you need deep pocket sheets?
It all depends on the thickness of your mattress. Some mattresses are naturally made thicker to provide extra comfort. For instance, pillow top mattresses typically offer an additional two-inch layer to the overall mattress. The standard thickness of a mattress is typically six to nine inches, but there are mattresses that range from 12 to 18 inches thick to offer more comfort, plush, and luxury.
Related: Best sheets
Deep pocket sheets work best on thick mattresses, mattresses with pillow tops, or mattresses that have been given an additional layer with a mattress topper. Whether your mattress wasn’t as comfortable as you were expecting or it’s gotten flat with old age, a mattress topper offers an extra layer of cushion that makes all the difference in the level of comfort. However, once you add your mattress topper to your bedding, you may notice a difference in the way your standard fitted sheets cover, which leads you to potentially upgrading to a deep pocket sheet set.
Deep pocket sheets can be a great investment. There are lots of advantages but there are a few things to steer away from as well. Here are some pros and cons to deep pocket sheets.
- Full Coverage: Deep pocket sheets are known to adequately cover an entire mattress without lifting on the sides or fitting extremely tight.
- Functionality: Unlike traditional fitted sheets, most deep pocket sheets are designed with a fitted band, typically made of elastic that ensures secure placement all night long.
- Added Protection: Especially for memory foam mattresses, deep pocket sheets help protect your mattress from stains, moisture, or any other germs and bacteria that could come in contact with your mattress.
- Price: Deep pocket sheets are typically more expensive than regular sheets. You can find deep pocket sheets that include a matching bed set or you can purchase just the fitted deep pocket sheet. It depends on your budget.
- Materials: Not all deep pocket sheets are created equal- make sure your sheets are made of high-quality properties. Deep pocket sheets are typically made of less luxurious materials than regular sheets so you have to be careful while shopping.
How to choose the best deep pocket sheets
There are a couple things to consider when choosing the best deep pocket sheets for your bed.
Before purchasing deep pocket sheets, measure the thickness of your mattress to ensure you get the proper fit. When shopping, look within the product details for “pocket depth.” If your mattress is thicker than the listed measurement, you may need to shop for extra deep pocket sheets.
Always make sure the materials that are designed within your deep pocket sheets are of high quality. Pay less attention to the thread count and more attention to the actual percentage of properties that make up the sheets entirely. High percentages of cotton and microfiber are safe options for comforting materials.
Most people wash their sheets weekly or at least twice a month. You want your sheets durable enough to last through dozens of washes. Microfiber’s super tight weave makes it more durable than cotton.
Different fabrics and processes can affect how the fabric feels. Cotton sheets are soft, breathable and crisp, like a dress shirt. Microfiber sheets have a soft silky feel and tend to sleep warmer. Low-quality sheets may feel rough and uncomfortable.
What are extra deep pocket sheets?
Extra deep pocket sheets are sheets made to fit mattresses that are thicker than 16 inches. Some can accommodate mattresses (along with mattress toppers and covers) up to 24 inches thick in total.
What is considered a deep pocket sheet?
Standard sheets typically fit mattresses up to 12 inches tall whereas deep pocket sheets can accommodate mattresses 14 to 16 inches deep. Extra deep pocket sheets fit mattresses higher 16 inches up to 24 inches.
What size mattress do deep pocket sheets fit?
Many brands of deep pocket and extra deep pocket sheets are made to fit all standard sizes of bed including Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. Some will accommodate special sizes like Full XL, Short Queen, Split King, and Split California King.
What is the deepest fitted sheet you can buy?
Typically, extra deep pocket sheets accommodate mattresses up to 22 inches. The Extra Deep Pocket Sheets by CGK Unlimited fits mattresses up to 24 inches.
Compare our top-rated picks for the best deep pocket sheets below:
|Product||Material||Best for||Customer Rating|
|Viscose from Bamboo||Overall||N/A|
|Viscose from Bamboo||Soft||N/A|
|Viscose from Bamboo||Cooling||N/A|
|Brooklyn Bedding Deep Pocket Tencel Sheets||Tencel||Value||N/A|
Deep pocket sheets make bed-making easier for thick mattresses. Whether you have a pillow top mattress, mattress topper, or your mattress was built thicker than the average, deep pocket sheets can help you obtain a better night’s sleep.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Sheets
Cooling sheets are a smart investment for those prone to sleeping hot or night sweating. Finding the right set can be laborious; here are some things to consider.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Egyptian Cotton Sheets
Check out our top picks for the best Egyptian cotton sheet set online, plus learn how to properly care for these luxurious sheets.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Organic Sheets
When you go organic, you’re benefiting yourself and the environment. We’ve picked the top 3 best organic sheets for 2023 that are great for your health and comfort.