Are you interested in learning about your genetic ancestry? With a reputable at-home DNA testing kit, you can find out a lot about yourself based on the past. By analyzing your results, you can better understand your features, personality, and overall health. If you’re curious about your genetic footprint, check out our top picks for the best genetic testing kits.
If you’re interested in understanding your ethnic heritage in geographical detail, then this is the genetic testing kit for you.
Why we love it:
- Once you receive your AncestryDNA kit, you will need to activate your kit by creating a profile online and returning a saliva sample in the prepaid package.
- Your DNA gets tested in AncestryDNA’s state-of-the-art lab and will be updated online with your results in four to six weeks.
- Using a simple saliva sample, AncestryDNA analyzes your DNA with the help of science to give you details on your ethical origin, as well as connects you to an extensive database that can link you to other users and relatives all around the world.
Build an online family tree
Get ready to discover your ancestry and find relatives on both your maternal and paternal sides that you never knew existed with the MyHeritage DNA test kit.
Why we love it:
- Simply swab the inside of your cheek and use the included envelope to send your DNA to MyHeritage’s lab. Within four weeks, your results will be shared to you online within your secured, private account.
- Once your results are in, MyHeritage will provide you with an ethnicity estimate, which gives you a percentage of where your genes have been on a scale of 42 different ethnicities from all around the world.
- You’ll also discover DNA matches through the extensive online database that MyHeritage offers and potentially connect with distant family members you never knew you had.
- Lastly, you can seamlessly integrate your DNA results online into an ever-growing family tree.
Learn your possible health conditions with a simple swab
Best for health data
23andMe is a genetic service where you can receive personalized reports about your health, traits, and ancestry. With this at-home DNA testing kit, you can discover how your DNA impacts your health.
Why we love it:
- 23andMe offers two testing kits: Ancestry and Traits Service or Health and Ancestry Service.
- Before mailing your sample, you must register your kit online and create a profile. With a simple spit sample, you can learn all there is to know about the past and the future.
- Between both kits, you are provided with ancestry reports, DNA relative finder, automatic family tree builder, trait reports, health predisposition reports, carrier status reports, and wellness reports.
- You can figure out which health conditions you could possibly develop and which you could pass on to your children. Results are received online within four to six weeks.
The best way to care for your pet
Best for pets
Understanding the past and potential future of your dog is essential to their overall happiness and health.
Why we love it:
- With the Wisdom panel canine DNA test, you can discover all there is to know about your dog’s ancestry, physical traits, and predisposition towards health conditions.
- In three simple steps, you can protect your dog from future health problems and understand them better in everyday life.
- You will be required to swap the inside cheek of your dog and ship it back in the prepaid package. Within two weeks, you’ll receive your dog’s results online and have plenty of resources on your dog’s breed, health conditions (if any), traits, and much more.
How to pick the best DNA ancestry test kit
Type: First, decide which type of genetic testing you’d like to have done. For at-home genetic testing options, you can test your traits, wellness, ancestry reports, carrier status, and paternal determination.
Security: Make sure to do your research on the company providing the results. You need to ensure that your data is not being shared without your consent and is remaining in your control.
Price: Genetic testing kits are not cheap but the results are worth the initial investment. Some companies may require a subscription or additional fee to view DNA results further. Make sure you budget for your kit so you can get the most out of the experience.
Genetic testing can be an intimidating process, but it’s important to understand your DNA’s background. By studying your genes, you can help understand illnesses and certain conditions that you may be susceptible to developing, as well as passing on to your children. Genetic testing can help you live a healthy lifestyle, reduce your chances of experiencing health conditions, or knowing how to pick out the symptoms in advance to plan ahead if or when a condition arises.