The Best High Density Mattress Toppers on Amazon
May 14th, 2021 •
Mattress toppers serve as an additional surface or cushion to provide extra support to your mattress. However, not all mattress toppers are created equal. Each topper is constructed differently- whether it’s the materials used or the process of how it’s done. In turn, each mattress topper provides specific benefits and cushion that could be completely different from the next.
We found our top picks for the best high density mattress toppers and what to look for when selecting your own. In this article, we explain how thickness and density are different and why a high-density topper may be the best match for you.
Our Picks for the Best High Density Mattress Toppers
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
A mattress topper that contours, conforms, and cushions! The Temperature-Sensitive Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper offers a four-pound density for extreme support and changes feel based on room temperature.
When it’s cool, it’s firm and when it’s warm, it’s soft. The high-density visco elastic memory foam construction is what reacts to body heat. Once your body releases heat, this topper will mold to your shape, providing optimal comfort. This topper is PurGreen-certified and available in six different sizes.
The ViscoSoft Memory Foam Mattress Topper prides itself in providing a comfortable night’s sleep every single time. With its gel-infused memory foam construction, this topper is engineered to increase air flow and reduce trapped body heat.
With a three-inch-thick density, it also works at aligning your spine and relieving pressure points. It comes with a removable and machine-washable cover that is made of bamboo-rayon. It’s slip-resistant with built-in elastic straps, keeping your topper clean and securely in place. Simply place this topper on the surface of your existing mattress and start sleeping calm, cool, and collected.
With a cooling gel swirl construction, you’ll feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud with the Sure2Sleep High-Density Cool Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper. This topper is known to be long-lasting and extremely supportive.
With a three-pound density and cooling gel infusion, this topper sleeps comfortably, all while offering that plush-feel you’re looking for. This topper is temperature-sensitive, antimicrobial, and hypoallergenic. With zero allergens capable of interrupting your sleep, you’ll experience a healthy and clean night’s rest like you never have before. The Sure2Sleep Topper ships directly to your door in a compact box. It’s available in twin, full, queen, king, and Cali king sizes.
Best Gel Topper
Another excellent choice for achieving a better night’s sleep is by adding the Millard Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper to your mattress. This topper is made with gel memory foam that serves to reduce pressure on the spine, minimize mornings with aches and pains, as well as help you sleep in a breathable environment.
With the gel-infused foam, your topper will capture and distribute heat and regulate the temperature of your bedding so you never have to worry about sleeping hot. Each topper is made with CertiPUR-US certified foam, which means it’s also hypoallergenic. Your order includes a complimentary cover that is designed of silky bamboo fiber with a non-slip bottom construction. This topper is available in twin, full, queen, and king sizes.
What to look for in your next high-density mattress topper
The main purpose of all toppers is to provide extra support and comfort to your sleep situation. Toppers can also alleviate pressure on your joints, offer a cooling sleep experience, and change the feel of your mattress altogether.
Related: Mattress pad vs topper
Read along to discover the purpose of a high density mattress topper and what else to look for when purchasing your own.
Thickness vs. Density
Many shoppers don’t know the difference between a thick and dense mattress topper. They go hand in hand, but provide different results.
- Thickness: Typically, mattress toppers are available in three thickness sizes ranging from two to three to four inches.
- A two-inch-thick mattress topper is going to provide the least amount of added cushion to your mattress. If you consider your mattress comfortable but need additional support and softness, then a two-inch-thick model would be perfect.
- Three inches of thickness provides medium support and is typically the most popular. It offers a noticeable layer of cushion and starts to provide a contour-like feel for your body while sleeping.
- A four-inch-thick mattress topper provides an entirely new feel to your mattress. It completely contours to your body, while also providing an evenly firm surface to rest on. It’s the most luxurious of the thickness levels and provides the most additional cushion.
- Density: Density determines the amount of foam per square foot. Many people think that the density tells you the overall firmness you’ll experience, but having a dense topper does not necessarily mean it will sleep more firm. High-density mattress toppers offer better support and conform closer to your body than low-density toppers. They’re more durable and prevent your body from sinking in too deep. The proper density for each individual varies on weight. Heavier people will need a higher density topper than someone who is lightweight.
- Three pounds per cubic feet or less are considered the least dense and most soft. This low-density topper will allow your body to melt right through, so it’s perfect for adding a soft cushion, but not the best option for support.
- Four to five pounds per cubic feet is the happy-medium in density. It supports average-sized individuals, while still providing a soft sleeping experience.
Toppers with a density of six pounds per cubic feet and up are considered high-density. They can be considered the most firm, but it all depends on the weight of the person using it. They’re heavier but the best at conforming to a person’s body shape.
High density mattress toppers are great at providing therapeutic benefits, especially for those that suffer from arthritis or joint pain. This type of topper is the most heavy and supportive, but your weight will determine if this type of topper is the best option for you.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Latex Mattress Toppers
Sleep easy with one of the most popular and plush topper materials. Discover our top picks for the best latex mattress toppers.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
Suffering from back pain? We've found the best mattress toppers that will help you sleep with ease, comfort, and support.