Latex mattresses have gained popularity in the mattress scene because of their hygienic and (in some cases) eco-friendly materials, as well as their pressure-relieving support. We think there’s a lot to love about latex mattresses, but they’re also not for everyone. We’re here to help you determine if a latex mattress is the best option for you. We’ll also tell you about our favorite latex mattress brands available today that will provide the most bang for your buck.
Why a latex mattress might be best for you
A latex mattress is a great option for people who like the support and pressure-relieving qualities of a foam mattress but don’t want to feel as engulfed in the mattress. In other words, they prefer to sleep “on” the mattress instead of “in” the mattress.
Latex mattresses tend to have great bounce, cooling properties, and motion transfer – meaning you won’t feel your partner or pets if they move around or get up in the middle of the night. Latex is also a responsive material, so it will adjust to your body as you move throughout the night.
If you decide to go with a latex mattress, think of it as a long-term investment: latex mattresses (when cared for properly), can last up to 15 years. This is the longest lifespan of any type of mattress.
Latex mattresses are usually the most eco-friendly option as well. Latex is typically made from plant- or petroleum-based synthetic rubber, which means it’s environmentally friendly to produce and can usually be recycled at the end of its lifetime.
A latex mattress is a great option for people who like the support and pressure-relieving qualities of a foam mattress but don’t want to feel as engulfed in the mattress.
So, what’s the catch?
Because latex mattresses are made with more durable, longer-lasting materials, they’re also going to be more expensive. Prices for latex mattresses can range from $900-$2,000.
Latex mattresses are also very dense, meaning they’re going to be on the heavier side. You’ll definitely want to partner up when it comes to transporting and setting up a latex mattress. (Or maybe you’re more of the delegating type, we’re not judging.)
The more you push on latex, the more it pushes back. Meaning this type of mattress won’t contour or cushion your body as well as a memory foam mattress will. This quality really comes down to your personal preference, but it’s something to be aware of.
What if I’m allergic to latex?
If you’re allergic to latex, you may be wary of buying a latex mattress. Our best advice is to contact your doctor to confirm before you do (you don’t want to take any chances). However, the latex allergy risk associated with latex mattresses is negligible. The latex used in mattresses is thoroughly washed and undergoes high temperatures and pressure before being assembled. The latex itself will also be covered, so your skin won’t have direct contact. But again, it’s a good idea to get the OK from your doctor before you put one in your shopping cart.
Top rated latex mattresses
Here we’ve highlighted some of the factors that might help you determine which latex mattress brand will be best for you. We consider these the top-rated mattresses based on quality, customer satisfaction, overall value and convenience. You’ll see them listed from least to most expensive.
Pay attention to factors that might be important to you – like support, firmness, cooling properties, trial period and price.
If you want to know more about any of these brands, you can read more about why we like them, what customers have to say, and all the important details in the section right below this chart.
|Mattress Name||Description||Price*||Mattress Review|
8.6 / 10Read Review
8.5 / 10Read Review
|Pure Green Latex||
8.1 / 10Read Review
7.7 / 10Read Review
8.3 / 10Read Review
|PlushBeds Botanical Bliss 10'' Mattress||
7.7 / 10Read Review
* Price for a queen size mattress.
- GhostBed offers the responsiveness and cooling benefits of latex, but also the contouring and pressure relief benefits of memory foam (its second layer).
- If you’re in the market for a latex mattress because you’re trying to go green, be aware that the GhostBed isn’t as natural as some of its category competitors. (But it’s also less expensive.)
- Fun fact: the owner of GhostBed used to be afraid of ghosts hiding under his bed as a kid, which is how the name “GhostBed” was created.
Word on the street:
- “Ghost Bed was super simple to set up and it instantly grew to form. It’s super soft to touch and extremely comfortable. My sleep has improved and I wake up relaxed and pain-free. Love this bed! It’s boo-tastic!” – Audra W.
- “Could not be happier with the GhostBed mattress. My wife and I were skeptical about all the hype, but decided to take a shot based on the apparent value offered by GhostBed both in price point and the extent to which they stand behind their product. We bought the king size mattress, foundation, and 2 GhostPillows. This bed actually delivered. We both sleep more soundly, and sleeping on this bed has even helped alleviate some of the problems I have with my neck and back. One thing I can say is that the pillows are absolutely worth it. The bed was incredibly comfortable before the pillows arrived, but once we slept on it with the GhostPillows, it took on a whole new level of comfort. They just compliment each other perfectly. The foundation is very sturdy. You don’t see products very often anymore that are overbuilt like this is. Assembly was pretty simple and quick. We love our GhostBed and we can’t stop talking about it with out family and friends.”- Michael L.
- “We knew we needed a new mattress, did the homework, listened to our chiropractor and bought this one. Both of us are waking up without the aches and pains and sleeping more soundly. Quality and materials are first rate AND watching it come to life out of the box–very cool!” – Rebecca Z
- GhostBed sizes available:
- Queen: $795
- King: $975
- Cal King: $995
- Twin: $495
- Twin XL: $650
- Full: $775
- What’s inside: The GhostBed is made with quality latex and foam materials designed for optimum support, responsiveness and cooling. All of the foams are 100% CertiPUR-US certified. Its layers include:
- Cover – soft, breathable fabric; wicks away heat and moisture
- Top layer – aerated synthetic rubber latex; absorbs pressure, keeps you cool
- Middle layer – cooling gel memory foam; pressure-relief, comfort and cooling
- Bottom layer – high-density foam; support and durability
- Delivery: The GhostBed ships free to the lower 48 states and should arrive at your door in 3-5 days.
- Setup: The GhostBed mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation (if you’re using one), and it will spring to life. Once you open your GhostBed mattress from the sealed vac-pac packaging, it may take a few hours to a full day for it to fully expand, breathe and adjust to your room’s temperature.
- Foundation: GhostBed recommends laying the mattress on a flat surface or good condition box spring/foundation that will maintain the mattress lifespan. The mattress can be placed on a box spring/foundation with slats no longer than 4″ apart, platform bed or the floor for good results.
- Return policy: If you decide the GhostBed is not for you after 30 days and before the 101-day trial period, you can contact them to have your mattress picked up for free and receive a full refund. Note: this only applies to orders placed directly through GhostBed.
Other GhostBed products:
- GhostBed also sells a cooling mattress called the GhostBed Luxe ($1,475 for queen), as well as bedding accessories: a pillow ($85), a bed foundation ($225 for queen), and a mattress protector ($100 for queen).
A few words from us:
- PangeaBed is a unique copper infused, natural latex mattress that is durable and provides great health benefits, like promoting good circulation and alleviating joint pain. If you suffer from a bad back or injury, these features could be especially helpful.
- PangeaBed is made with antibacterial, antimicrobial and hypoallergenic layers designed to help fight off germs and bacteria.
- The open-cell structure of Talalay latex is said to be 4 times more breathable than polyurethane, memory foam or synthetic Dunlop process latex.
Word on the street:
- “I bought my queen copper mattress in November, and I am beyond satisfied (and borderline obsessed) with my purchase. Unpacking the mattress was easy (I was able to do it by myself), and my mattress was fully expanded within a few hours. I knew upon laying down for the first time that this mattress was heavenly. It is the perfect combination of comfort and support. As a lover of firm mattresses, I was nervous that it was going to be a little too soft for my liking but it was perfect. I let my family members (who are more medium firmness mattress lovers) lay down and try it and they were just as in love with it as I was, so it seems to be for everyone. The ONLY downfall is it makes getting out of bed in the mornings difficult because it is so comfortable!” – Ali
- “I must admit, I don’t often respond to requests for reviews of items I purchase. I feel compelled to write a review for the Pangeabed Mattress my husband and I got 6 months ago because of its quality and comfort! I have Rheumatoid and Osteo Arthritis along with Fibromyalgia and a bad back. It is not always easy to get comfortable in bed but since we have had this mattress I am consistently getting a good, comfortable nights sleep. It is pretty amazing to get such a great product for a moderate price! It is well worth every penny to me! Thank you Pangeabed!” – Karen M.
- “After months of research, I narrowed my choices down to spindle. Helix and Pangeabed. Loved the idea of the antibacterial, hypoallergenic copper infused Pangeabed. only drawback is that is does not come in a soft version. Talked at length with Martin a co-founder in this company and he told me about the topper to soften up the bed for me if needed. I called back day after my delivery to let him know the delivery was as promised, set up was easy and no smell at all. I wanted to know how long the trial period was before I could get the topper. To my surprise he ordered one immediately and its on the way. Cant get any better service than that!” – Maureen K.
- PangeaBed sizes available:
- Queen: $895
- King: $1,045
- Cal King: $1,045
- Twin: $645
- Twin XL: $745
- Full: $825
- What’s inside:
- Cover: soft foam quilted cover; hypoallergenic
- Top Layer:copper infused 100% pure Talalay latex; breathable anti-bacterial, pressure-relief
- Transition Layer: gel infused phase change memory foam; cooling, pressure relief
- Base Layer: support foam; body weight support, durability
- Delivery: The PangeaBed ships free and typically arrives within 6-12 business days.
- Setup: The PangeaBed mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation and it will come to life. Full expansion of the mattress should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Foundation: You’ll get the most out of your PangeaBed when it’s supported by a proper base; either a firm, solid and level flooring surface, foundation, or box spring. The PangeaBed can also work with adjustable base foundations.
- Return policy: If you decide the PangeaBed is not for you before the 100-night trial is up, you can return your mattress at no cost and get a full refund. PangeaBed will pick up your unwanted mattress from your house and arrange a donation to a local charity.
Other PangeaBed products:
- PangeaBed also sells a copper pillow for $125.
PURE GREEN NATURAL LATEX MATTRESS
A few words from us:
- The Pure Green mattress by Sleep On Latex is a natural, hypoallergenic mattress that allows you to customize both the thickness and firmness level of the mattress: you can choose between Soft, Medium or Firm; and between 7” or 9” thick.
- If you’re set on latex, this is a good quality option that sleeps cool, offers good weight balance and is super easy to set up.
Word on the street:
- “My husband and I both love our new Sleep on Latex bed! He is a side, stomach and sometimes back sleeper. I am a side and back sleeper. We ordered the “soft” and we both are very happy with it. We were planning to buy a different much higher priced “healthy” mattress in the future and were so thankful to hear about Sleep on Latex. It’s a great price for a great bed!” – Catherine G.
- “I did a lot of research before purchasing this mattress. I’m very happy I settled on this one. Our first night, I was worried we might have made a mistake, but I think it was getting used to sleeping on latex. We have had noticeably better sleep since. Highly recommend.” – Daniela P.
- “King mattress. Arrived on time, opened it, thought there would be some chemical off-gassing, but none detected. It’s surprising dead-weight (~140#s), and tricky to move around, but once encased and on the box spring it has been very restful sleep. The snug conforming to body shape tends to retain a bit of heat, but nothing major. All good and, as noted, just what we expected from the positive reviews.” – Charles O.
- Pure Green sizes available: Prices vary depending on firmness level and height
- Queen: $899 – $1,199
- King: $1,149 – $1,699
- Cal King: $1,149 – $1,699
- Twin: $649 – $849
- Twin XL: $649 – $849
- Full: $899 – $1,099
- Full XL: $899 – $1,199
- What’s inside: The SleepOnLatex mattress is made up of natural latex foam layers, organic cotton and organic wool. You can choose from either the 9” mattress or the 7” mattress and customize the level of firmness (soft, medium or firm).
- Top – quilted wool: adds thin layer of softness, keeps you cool
- Top base – 2” natural latex foam adds softness (only in 9” option)
- Bottom – 6” natural latex foam provides strength and support
- Cover – organic cotton: soft, durable, flexible
- Delivery: The Pure Green mattress ships free to the lower 48 states and typically arrives within 10 business days.
- Setup: The Pure Green mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation (if you’re using one), and it will spring to life.
- Foundation: Pure Green will work best on a platform base or slatted foundation with spacing that is 3″ apart or less. If you decide to use a box spring, it would be a good idea to add a bunky board or plywood board for extra support. These are also compatible with adjustable bed frames.
- Return policy: The Pure Green mattress can be returned for a full refund within 100 days of receipt. Sleep On Latex will arrange to have the mattress picked up for free. The refund or exchange will be processed once the item has been picked up.
Other Sleep On Latex products:
- Sleep On Latex also offers a latex mattress topper ($129 for 1” queen) and latex pillows ($69 for queen).
A few words from us:
- Spindle offers 4 different firmness options, but also allows you to make adjustments to the firmness or purchase new layers to ensure you’re completely satisfied with your mattress.
- The Spindle mattress comes with a 365-day comfort guarantee – meaning you have a whole year to decide if this mattress is right for you. If you decide to return it, you’ll get a full refund.
- The Spindle requires some at-home assembly. Customers claim it’s not that difficult, but it’s something to be prepared for.
Word on the street:
- “Had the mattress for more than a month now and overall really like this mattress. It is 100% all natural latex and does well in supporting your body when you sleep. The latex had a bit of smell when it first arrived since it was made using natural material but it quickly went away. The mattress is made in the USA so it came very fast. The only complaint is that the latex does make this mattress hotter than most other material especially since it is 10 inches layer. Still, nothing the fan or air conditioner couldn’t solve. Buy this if you are looking for an affordable, natural mattress all while supporting a family owned business here in the United States!” – Shiawtian C.
- “Love It! The very first morning after sleeping on this mattress was the first time, in a long time, that I woke up without lower back pain! The frame and bed assembly was simple as can be. I am 6′ 2″, 225 lbs. and the queen size medium firm seems to be just right for me. Thanks Spindle!” – Paul B.
- We love our mattress. We had a well loved decades old spring mattress. Never having tried a latex mattress before I was hesitant but I’m so glad we made the switch. It is just the right “in-between” of sinking in and laying on top of your mattress. We live in a high humidity climate in Texas and never have I felt that it slept warm. High quality mattress! – Rachel T.
- Spindle sizes available:
- Queen: $1,350
- King: $1,700
- Twin: $900
- Twin XL: $950
- Full: $1,150
- What’s inside: The Spindle is made with three, 3” layers of natural latex (which they claim to be 3x as durable and 4x as breathable as conventional foams). The cover is made with natural organic cotton lined with natural wool batting to help wick moisture away.
- You can choose from four different levels of firmness depending on your preference. Spindle has a firmness calculator to help you decide.
- Delivery: The Spindle ships free to your door anywhere in lower 48 states and should arrive within 7-10 business days.
- Setup: The Spindle is shipped in three separate cartons, each with a 3” layer of latex. One of those cartons will also contain your zippered case. You will actually assemble the mattress yourself by inserting the latex layers into the cotton cover. It might seem like a hassle, and while it does take more time than just unrolling your mattress, it’s actually not that difficult. You can watch this video on how to assemble the Spindle for reference.
- Foundation: Spindle recommends using a support structure with slats that are spaced no more than 3″ apart for proper support and ventilation. The slats should be made of solid wood (not a composite or plywood like material) for lasting durability.
- Return policy: Spindle offers a 365-day trial period. Yes, that’s one year to decide if this mattress is going to be right for you. If you do decide to return the mattress within the trail period, you’ll receive a full refund.
Other Spindle products:
- Spindle also offers a wood foundation ($275 for queen), and replacement parts (cover and an extra layer of latex).
A few words from us:
- You might have a bit of sticker shock when you see the price of the ZenHaven but it’s actually still a good deal considering what you’re getting: a luxury, natural mattress that can be flipped for either soft or firm preference.
- The ZenHaven naturally resists mold and microbes and is built to last 20 years with normal usage. While this depends on a number of factors, including the people sleeping on it, latex does tend to have the longest lifespan.
- It’s nearly impossible for a mattress to be 100% organic, but the ZenHaven is “as green as modern manufacturing will allow.” All the latex layers in the mattress are made from 100% natural latex, the flame-retardant is made from natural 100% organic New Zealand wool, and the cover from organic cotton.
Word on the street:
- “We have had our mattress for over a month now are extremely happy with our purchase. Not only are we sleeping better, there’s no aches and pains in the morning. These mattresses are great for adjustable frames too.” – Carrie B.
- “I researched so much on a mattress and am so happy I ended up with this one. I am a chiropractor and my patients are always asking me what is best for them. I advise them to all look to Zenhaven now. My sister has also bought one and loves it just as much. Thank you so much! VERY pleased!” – Katie U.
- “I have had my Zenhaven mattress for two months and could not be more pleased. It is everything that the other reviews state. Be sure to give it a few weeks to loosen up and you will be sleeping better than you have ever slept in your life. I highly recommend!” – Dick D.
- ZenHaven sizes available:
- Queen: $1,899
- King: $2,499
- Cal King: $2,499
- Twin: $1,299
- Twin XL: $1,349
- Full: $1,699
- What’s inside: ZenHaven is made up of all natural latex layers and is also flippable for softer (Luxury Plush) or firmer (Gentle Firm) preference. The layers below are listed as a sandwich.
- Top/bottom layer (firm) – 5-zone comfort layer that provides firmer support where you need it to help with spinal alignment
- Middle layers – latex support cores (x2) for more resilient support
- Bottom/top layer (soft) – same 5-zone comfort layer, but softer to contour your body more
- Cover – organic cotton cover with wool lining to help with breathability and moisture wicking
- Delivery/Setup: ZenHaven will deliver the mattress anywhere in the continental U.S. for free and dispatch two delivery team members to set up your mattress for you. (This can take around 2 weeks or so since they’re made to order.) Due to the heavy weight of the mattress, they will also send representatives to your house to flip the mattress for you at no cost. You can choose to have the delivery team remove your old mattress at no cost to you as well.
- Foundation: You’ll want a flat surface to place your ZenHaven mattress on. If your box spring/foundation is in very good condition, meaning it’s sturdy and isn’t sagging, it should work ﬁne.
- Return policy: If you decide the ZenHaven isn’t for you during your 120-day home trial, it can be returned for a full and prompt refund of the purchase price, less a $99 handling fee.
Other Saatva products:
- Saatva also offers an adjustable base called The Lineal ($1,399 for queen), and an additional foundation or stationary frame ($250 for queen foundation / $99 for queen frame).
A few words from us:
- PlushBed’s Botanical Bliss mattress is offered at two thickness levels: 10” and 13”. The firmness level of the Botanical Bliss is completely customizabale. All you have to do is unzip the cover and rearrange the layers. The 10” has up to 6 firmness options and the 13” has as many as 8!
- The Botanical Bliss is made of 100″ premium APRICO organic dunlop latex. In fact, they are the largest distributor of APRICO latex in the US.
- PlushBed mattresses are handcrafted in California. The materials are GOTS, GOLS and GREENGAURD certified.
Word on the street:
- “Definitely recommend this mattress! I researched a lot and found this to be the best organic, locally sourced mattress that soothes pressure points and is very comfortable. Worth every penny because of the healthy materials and comfort afforded during MUCH of my life—-6-7 hours a day sleeping—-I need comfort, support, stability, durability, organic ingredients…This mattress is GREAT!” -Sarojani
- “Every time I get into bed, I’m amazed at how wonderful this bed makes me feel. I awake in the mornings ready to go without an ache and marvel at the way I feel wondering if this feeling is for real and will it last. It just seems too good to be true…but it is! I wish I had known about 100% latex mattresses earlier in my life. I’m 64 now so I’ve spent a lot of years on many different types of mattresses and none came close to this one.” -Deborah
- “Didn’t realize how much the memory foam bed I’d bought from Costco was hurting my back until I began sleeping on the plush bed. I got the 10″ botanical bliss. no fumes, extremely comfortable, firm enough. And the pillows that came with are awesome. Delivery was on time, easy and quick. The bonus sheets are exquisite.” -David
- Botanical Bliss Sizes Available:
- Twin: $2499
- Twin XL: $2499
- Full: $2899
- Queen: $2999
- King: $2399
- Cal King: $2599
- Split King: $3998
- Split Queen: $3798
- Split Cal King: $4198
- What’s inside: The Botanical Bliss latex mattress is made of three all-natural, APRICO organic dunlop latex layers, and covered in an organic cotton and wool cover:
- Organic knit cotton and wool cover — Compared to mass produced woven covers, the knit top layer provides more breathability and elasticity while remaining soft to the touch. This layer also includes 100% Pure New Zealand Wool. When used in the right proportions, organic wool creates a micro-climate, which assists in regulating body temperature and humidity. It is also hypo-allergenic.
- 10’’ (three layers) of APRICO organic dunlop latex — The organic dunlop core of the Botanical Bliss mattress is made from the sap of rubber trees. This material comfortably supports, while preventing sagging over time.
- Delivery/Setup: The Botanical Bliss mattress comes with free delivery and should arrive at your doorstep within 7-14 business days. It comes compressed and rolled up in a box. You will simply open the casing, unroll the mattress and watch it spring to life. For an additional $99 PlushBeds will send an agent to your home to remove your old mattress.
- Foundation: The PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Mattress must be placed on a firm, flat surface. This includes a box-spring, platform base, slats no more the 2’’ apart, adjustable frames or even the floor. Make sure your box-spring is in good condition and can hold the weight of the mattress. An old foundation can cause the mattress to sag.
- Return Policy: If you’re not in love with your Botanical Bliss mattress, you can return it for a full refund within your 100-night trial period. You will have to box your mattress before PlushBeds sends a representative out to pick-up your mattress. PlushBeds asks you give the mattress a try for at least 30 nights.
Other PlushBeds products:
- PlushBeds sells a number of other sleep accessories and mattresses including toppers, foundations, frames, sheets, pillows and more!
We hope by now you have a better idea of whether or not a latex mattress might be the best option for you. If you were already convinced, then we hope we’ve helped you narrow down your search. When you factor in how long a latex mattress will last you, it’s important to choose a mattress that you’re really going to love.
If you still have questions about latex mattresses, or you have one that you particularly love, let us know in the comments below.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.