Best Luxury Mattresses of 2021
Elevate your sleep by exploring our choices for the most luxurious mattresses available.
Mar 31st, 2021 •
Tired of mediocre sleep? The source of your troubles could be your mattress. Maybe, it’s time for you to make the ultimate upgrade: shopping luxury.
While luxury mattresses are an investment, so is healthy sleep. Luxury mattresses offer extra relief, durability, and customization. Not to mention you get other fun bells and whistles.
We’ll share reviews of our top picks for the best luxury mattresses below and then help you figure out everything to consider when shopping for a luxury mattress.
By clicking on the products below, we may receive a commission at no cost to you, the reader. It’s how we fund our Mattress Lab and bring you better mattress reviews and comparisons.
The Best Luxury Mattresses
- Editor’s Choice – Saatva Solaire
- Best Value – DreamCloud Premier
- Best Memory Foam – Loom & Leaf
- Best Cooling – Brooklyn Aurora
- Best for Side Sleepers – Purple Hybrid Premier
We’ve tested dozens of luxury mattresses in our lab and have come up with our top 5 favorites and who we think would love them.
If you want to know more about each brand, we won’t leave you hanging. We’ll tell you everything about each mattress in the next section.
- Lumbar Support Approved by the Congress of Chiropractic State Associations
- Customizable firmness
- Generous 25 year warranty
Why we love it
The Saatva Solaire is an eco-friendly mattress, made with organic cotton, CertiPUR-US® certified foam, and OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 certified latex that keeps VOC emissions low and Mother Earth happy.
A remote controlled airbed, the Solaire lets you control your firmness—you have 50 levels to choose from. It’s easily compatible with an adjustable base, so if you want to sit up or elevate your feet, it’s got you covered. Don’t know how to use it? A tutorial is covered in your free white glove delivery.
Read our full Saatva Solaire mattress review.
- Cradles your body
- Great spinal alignment
- Certi-Pur US Certified
Why we love it
The DreamCloud Premier is an affordable hybrid model made out of a whopping 8-layers—talk about support. This mattress combines five layers of premium memory foam, as well as pocket coil and latex layers to provide support, comfort, and breathability. This is yet another mattress that scored nearly perfectly on our spine alignment test.
See our full DreamCloud Premier mattress review.
Loom & Leaf
Best Memory Foam
- Comparable to Tempur-Pedic
- Free white glove delivery
- Various firmness levels
Relaxed firm: 6/10; Firm: 8/10
Why we love it
The Loom & Leaf is one of those high-quality memory foam mattresses we keep going on about. Offering dual-sided firmness, its foam construction gives pressure relief to the place you need it most.
Not only will you get a good night’s sleep, but a clean sleep too. The Loom & Leaf is made with an antimicrobial treatment, full of botanicals, that keeps away bacteria, mold, and dust mites for years.
Read our full Loom & Leaf mattress review.
- The founder sleeps on this mattress, calling it the best bed he ever built
- Customizable firmness
- Coolest mattress ever tested
Available in soft (3/10), medium (5/10) or firm (7/10)
Why we love it
If you’re a night sweater, the Brooklyn Aurora is the luxury mattress for you considering it’s one of the coolest mattresses we’ve ever had in our lab. If that’s not enough for you, check out its customizable firmness. The firmness chart is laid out on their site, telling you which level works for each sleep type.
See our full Brooklyn Aurora mattress review.
Purple Hybrid Premier
Best for Side Sleepers
- Customizable thickness
- Supports proper spinal alignment
- Contouring Support
Soft - 4/10
Why we love it
This high-quality mattress is uniquely made to contour your pressure points while it keeps you perfectly aligned—it even scored a 9.5 out of 10 in alignment in our mattress review. The various thickness levels allows you to choose both your support and firmness, almost like this mattress is tailored with you in mind.
See our full Purple Hybrid Premier mattress review.
How to Find the a Great Luxury Mattress
If you’re thinking about taking the leap, or you’re just testing the waters, we’ll help you navigate the luxury mattress world by helping you:
- Know exactly what makes a mattress luxury
- How much it should cost
- What you should expect
- Explore our top picks
Types of Luxury Mattresses
The first thing you want to consider when searching for a luxury mattress to get better sleep is the type of material the mattress is made with. Luxury mattresses tend to use memory foam, springs, latex, or put them all into a hybrid design.
The main thing that makes memory foam high-quality is durability. The best foam for this job is either viscoelastic foam or another high-density foam type, offering pressure relief and responsiveness.
Related: Best memory foam mattresses
The more durable the foam the longer it’ll take to make body impressions, the longer it’ll take to misshape, and the longer the mattress will last. Luxury memory foam mattresses are often made with materials that makes the foam cool as well.
Innerspring mattresses often aren’t found in the luxury category because they aren’t as durable as the rest, but luxury spring mattresses do exist. In order for this type of mattress to be considered luxury, they have to be made with with pocketed coils.
Related: Best innerspring mattresses
Pocket coils are the coils of innerspring mattresses that are individually wrapped, which helps isolate motion to keep you from waking your sleep partner (or yourself) from a good night’s sleep. You also want a lower coil gauge because that makes the mattress more supportive.
Even more responsive and longer lasting than memory foam, luxury latex mattresses are typically made using the dunlop process rather than talalay. The difference is this: dunlop is energy efficient and results in a higher-density foam than talalay, making the mattress last longer.
Related: Best latex mattresses
Latex mattresses also have the potential to be organic if organic latex is used rather than synthetic. Organic mattresses are hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites, and of course, chemical-free. So, you can sleep better knowing you have the cleanest mattress materials.
Luxury hybrid mattresses are combination of these luxury materials. More often than not, hybrid mattresses take the best aspects of each material to make a “super mattress” that can target one specific need, or all of them. You get more contouring, pressure relief, and responsiveness.
Related: Best hybrid mattresses
Types of mattresses used in hotels are usually hybrid mattresses heavily featuring individually pocketed coils as the support layer.
What to Expect
When it comes to high-quality mattress types, it’s good to know what you’re getting into so you aren’t surprised by price points or odd sizes.
- Price: You should not determine whether or not a mattress is luxury based on the price alone. Many factors go into mattress pricing such as whether or not it’s wholesale or a middle man is involved, whether it’s sold online or in person, or simply brand reputation. But, luxury mattresses on average are priced over $2000 for a queen. However, direct-to-customer (DTC) brands usually offer them cheaper.
- Size: Luxury mattresses generally come in standard bed sizes, though you can customize this with some luxury brands. Here are the sizes you should expect:
- Twin: 38”x 74”
- Full: 54”x 74”
- Queen: 60”x 80”
- King: 76”x 80”
Features and Benefits of Luxury Mattresses
Now that you understand the practical aspects a luxury mattress features, we can get into the fun stuff: the actual features, plus bells and whistles.
Durability is the main thing that sets a luxury mattress apart from your regular mattress—it’s lifespan is extended. Because you will spend a good amount of money for this mattress, it should be at least a decade before you need to replace it. High-density foam and lower gauge coils are used, the time it takes to sag or squeak is prolonged, and the workmanship is solid.
The best way to tell if the mattress you’re eyeing will go the distance is to check out the mattress reviews. People who have already purchased the mattress and slept on it aren’t shy when it comes to divulging every sag or shortcoming of their mattress. Additionally, bedding experts (such as Mattress Advisor) will often test a mattress and its materials for quality, durability, responsiveness, and more.
One of the best things about shopping luxury when it comes to your mattress is all of the fun extras that come not only with the mattress, but the purchasing process as well.
- White Glove Delivery: When it comes to delivering a luxury mattress to your door, white glove delivery is often included in the price. White glove delivery is when your new mattress is not only brought to your door, but set up in you room. They will show you how to use your new base (if ordered), and remove your old mattress—all for free!
- Free Bonus Items: Speaking of freebies, luxury mattress brands often do bundle deals. For example, if you buy their mattress you’ll get two free pillows, a free set of sheets, or a free mattress protector.
- Customizability: As you will see on our list, most luxury mattresses aim to please, so they leave how you want your firmness up to you. Luxury airbeds will have a remote control that lets you control the firmness level. Other types of mattresses, such as memory foam or hybrids, have dual-sided designs will different firmness options.
- Environmental Consciousness: These companies care about the world we live in as well as how you sleep on it. The mattress materials will often both offer pressure relief and green materials. On top of that, many of their company missions have to do with planting trees for every mattress purchased or recycling old materials.
Why You Should Consider Shopping Luxury: The Benefits
Still not convinced? Let’s talk about some more benefits of upgrading to luxury.
- You sleep hot: If heat is what’s keeping you from a great night’s sleep, luxury is the way to go. Sleeping cool is a key factor of a luxury mattress. Latex is naturally cool, high-quality memory foam includes gel and breathable layers, and hybrid beds combine both.
- You ache: Pressure relief is another aspect of luxury mattresses, giving you a good night’s sleep. Their expert materials have you waking up without aches and pains because your pressure points no longer dig into the mattress.
- You care about the environment: Again, luxury mattresses are often environmentally friendly—either through material or through mission.
What to Look for in a Mattress
So you’ve decided that a luxury mattress is right for you, but when it’s time to change your mattress, how do you find the right one for your needs? That’s where we come in! There are a few things to consider when looking for a good, high-quality mattress.
What position do sleep in? The answer to this question instantly points you in the right direction for your mattress type.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers are looking for a bed with pressure relief, primarily for their hips and shoulders. This sleep type should be looking for a latex or a gel memory foam mattress. These mattresses evenly distribute your weight and take pressure away from sensitive areas.
- Back Sleepers: People who sleep on their backs need a mattress that evenly contours to their body, but doesn’t disrupt the spine’s natural curve. For this reason, latex, foam, and hybrid luxury mattresses win out over the rest.
- Stomach Sleepers: Stomach sleepers need a mattress that is firm enough so they can lie flat, but with a soft top layer to ease pressure off of the hips. Multi-layered memory foam and hybrid models work the best for this position.
- Combination Sleepers: Combo sleepers need a super responsive mattress that is going to adapt to all of the tossing, turning, and position shifting. Hybrid mattresses are key for these sleepers. They have the adaptability for the changes.
If you don’t sleep alone, going off of sleep position only may work for you but not your sleep partner. A good luxury mattress for couples is responsive, has good edge support, and (most importantly) offers motion isolation. The last thing you want to be doing is waking up every time your partner moves.
Those who sleep with a partner should find a mattress that isn’t innerspring for a good night’s sleep. These offer the least amount of motion isolation. Memory foam is the best at keeping motion transfer to a minimum, but latex has better buoyancy.
Aches and Pains
If you or your sleep partner suffers from nighttime aches and pains due to surgery, athletics, age, or an injury, buy a mattress that accounts for this.
Mattresses that ease pain make pressure relief and responsiveness a priority. When mattress shopping, look for a luxury mattress that specifically mentions pain or pressure relief, then do your research by looking through reviews.
What to Expect with a Luxury Mattress
After purchasing a luxury mattress, there are certain expectations it should live up to:
- Support: A luxury mattress should have great support that keeps your head and neck aligned. Beds that do this dramatically reduce any aches and pains (specifically back pain) you may wake up with, with your old mattress.
- Firmness: Firmness is what you make it with a luxury mattress. You won’t be tied down to one firmness level after you buy a high-quality bed. Often times, you get a firmness level out of 10 rather than your typical plush, medium, and firm options. Some airbeds even have up to 50 firmness levels to choose from.
- Comfort: Comfort and firmness go hand-in-hand. With so many firmness level options, it should be quite easy to find a firmness level that is both comfortable and supportive.
As a reminder, here’s a recap of our top picks for the most luxurious mattresses on the market:
|Editor’s Pick||Saatva Solaire|
|Best Value||DreamCloud Premier|
|Best Memory Foam||Loom & Leaf|
|Best Cooling||Brooklyn Aurora|
|Best for Side Sleepers||Purple Hybrid Premier|
Luxury mattresses are more durable and pressure relieving than your average mattress. The various mattress types you’ll typically find are latex, hybrid, airbed, and memory foam.
Each of these are specially made to keep you cool, last for years, and improve your sleep. So, what do you think? Is making the upgrade worth it?
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Best Mattresses of 2021
Our expert review team tested over 150 beds and ranked the best mattress for every type of sleeper.
Best Memory Foam Mattress
See our expert reviews for the best memory foam mattresses on the market. Our top picks feature mattresses for back pain, side sleepers, hot sleepers, and more.
Best Latex Mattresses
On the hunt for a latex bed? Check out our in-depth buying guide to help you choose the best latex mattress for you and learn what to look for when shopping.