Stomach sleeping is the rarest sleep position out there, accounting for just 7% of the adult population. People choose to sleep on their stomachs for a variety of reasons, from habit to comfort and pain relief, but like any other sleep position, most who choose it can’t imagine sleeping any other way.
Without the right mattress and pillow, this sleeping position can be really tough on your body. It puts a ton of pressure on your spine and chest, which may lead to back and neck pain, difficulty breathing, tingling nerves, pressure point pain and general achiness. The National Sleep Foundation even suggests that stomach sleepers try a new sleep position altogether.
But we understand that’s a pretty steep request. Read on to learn more about what stomach sleepers should look for in a mattress and which mattresses can provide optimal comfort and support in this position.
What should stomach sleepers look for in a mattress?
When looking for a new mattress, two of the most important things to consider are firmness and construction.
Mattress firmness is a really important detail to consider when choosing a mattress for stomach sleeping. When you sleep on your stomach, your hips, chest, shoulders, and other body parts press into the mattress throughout the night. To avoid pain at the pressure points and difficulty breathing, you’ll want to find a mattress that’s slightly soft on the top, but firm enough to provide spinal alignment.
For this reason, a medium-firm mattress is usually the best bet for a stomach sleeper. The ideal mattress doesn’t allow you to sink in too deeply, but is still soft enough to provide relief at pressure points. If you find yourself sinking into the mattress, you’re likely to wake up with a sore back. Sometimes, a firm mattress with a softer top layer will also do the trick.
A medium-firm mattress is usually the best bet for a stomach sleeper.
MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
Multi-layered memory foam mattresses are usually comfortable for stomach sleepers, as they provide support while still lending comfort to pressure points. A firm mattress, such as an innerspring, latex, or hybrid type, can still work, especially when it has a softer top layer.
On many mattresses, this soft top layer is important for reducing pressure on your joints. Whatever you choose, you’ll want something doesn’t break down too quickly, as a sagging mattress will not be comfortable for a stomach sleeper. Stomach sleepers will also want to stay away from waterbeds and other mattresses with extremely soft surfaces or lingering depressions.
Stomach sleepers, beware
Stomach sleepers are a rare (err, special) breed. This position is the most different from others which means that some mattresses that are comfortable for stomach sleepers are not the best choice for side or back sleepers. This makes for a tricky conundrum when selecting a mattress for two. If you and your sleeping partner are not both stomach sleepers and have trouble agreeing on a mattress that’s comfortable for both, consider getting a split mattress so each person’s needs are met.
Memory foam mattresses tend to be most comfortable for stomach sleepers as they provide support while still lending comfort to pressure points.
Our favorite mattresses for stomach sleepers
Check out the chart below to see some of our top mattress picks for all the stomach sleepers out there. You’ll find information like customer rating, return policy, price, and materials.
Below the chart, you’ll find more in-depth information on each of our selections—things like customer reviews and why each might be a good fit for you.
|Mattress Name||Description||Price*||Mattress Review|
9.3 / 10Read Review
|Loom & Leaf||
8.2 / 10Read Review
8.5 / 10Read Review
9.1 / 10Read Review
* Price for a queen size mattress.
A few words from us:
- The Leesa is a three-layer foam mattress with medium-firm support, making it a good option for stomach sleepers as well as other sleep positions.
- The top layer is soft and cooling, the middle layer provides contouring and relief for pressure points, and the bottom layer contributes to support and durability.
Word on the street:
- “My only regret is not buying this bed earlier. It’s the perfect blend of supportive but soft. Sleeping on the stomach, side or back are all very comfortable. We love it!” – Erin S.
- “I’m not gifted with the right words to write this review. It’s soft yet firm? Inviting but not overwhelming? Cool yet comforting? All I know is it’s perfect, and I love it.” – Phoebe S.
- “I certainly like the change in sleeping since purchase of the Leesa mattress. I use a fit bit tracker most of the time and that device monitors both resting heartrate and sleep patterns. Since using the leesa mattress, my resting HR now averages ~ 55 BPM vs 62 BPM before. My HR monitor also records sleep disturbances and times awake during the night. Sleep disturbances and “awakes” have also been significantly reduced, all thanks to leesa.” – Robert B.
Read more reviews here.
- Leesa sizes available:
- Queen: $940
- King: $1,070
- Cal King: $1,070
- Twin: $525
- Twin XL: $625
- Full: $790
- What’s inside: The inside of the Leesa is comprised of three layers of high-quality foam delivering airflow, contouring pressure relief, and core support. Here’s a bit more on each:
- Top layer – air-flow cooling and freedom of movement
- Middle layer – pressure relieving memory foam
- Bottom layer – dense core support, adds durability and structure without feeling too firm on top
- Delivery: Leesa ships free and will arrive at your door in 3-6 business days. (Shipping is also free to Alaska and Hawaii, but there is a $100 fee for returns.)
- Setup: The Leesa mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation, and wait for it to expand. You can also refer to this how-to guide from Leesa.
- Foundation: Leesa recommends a more stable, rigid base that will sufficiently support this foam mattress. You could also try adding a bunkie board instead of a new foundation as a suitable and wallet-friendly option. A bunkie board is basically a 2-3″ board that creates a flat, rigid surface to support your foam mattress and pairs nicely with traditional metal frames, platform beds, and slatted beds.
- Return policy: If you decide to return your Leesa within the 100-night trial period, there are zero return fees and you do not have to worry about fitting your Leesa back in the box. They’ll arrange to have your mattress picked up from your home with no additional effort or cost on your part. Leesa will try to locate a charity in your community to donate the mattress.
A few words from us:
- The 12-inch Loom & Leaf mattress is available in a firm or relaxed-firm variety. Both will work for stomach sleepers, it just depends on how much support and softness you are looking for.
- The relaxed-firm mattress will be a better choice for people with sensitivity in the chest, hips, and other pressure points, as it provides a bit more soft cushion.
Word on the street:
- “Initially I wanted a tempurpedic but after much research, we decided to try loom and leaf–the price point and organic materials were the two main reasons. Wow, after two weeks I am sleeping the best I have slept in years. My husband gets up a lot at night, and this used to wake me every time it seemed. Now, I do not wake and cannot even feel when he gets up out of bed! I love waking feeling refreshed, and I absolutely love this mattress.” – Meridith K.
- “We are so happy to have discovered this mattress! I had been suffering from lower back pain for the last several months, and simply couldn’t get comfortable during the night. I would toss and turn every 30 minutes or so, leaving both me and my poor husband exhausted by morning. I wanted a TempurPedic but the price tag was not an option for me. When I learned about the Loom and Leaf mattress, I had to give it a shot! And I’m so glad I did! You can truly feel your back being supported, and the mattress just cradles you right in the position you want to lay in. Perfect balance of soft foam and firm support. Sleeps cool, as far as I can tell. And I loved that there was NO odor when it arrived, unlike another brand we had tried previously.” – Jennifer C.
- “Hank & I have been together for just over 6 months, and it really has been #loveatfirstsleep. He is firm, but at the same time soft. I miss him whenever I am away. I am basically Goldilocks, and Hank is just right. (By the way, Hank is my Queen, relaxed Firm bed. Yes, I love my mattress so much, that I named him.) I see a chiropractor regularly, and the bed has helped wonders!” – Charlotte T.
Read more reviews here.
- Loom & Leaf sizes available:
- Queen: $1,099
- King: $1,499
- Cal King: $1,499
- Twin: $699
- Twin XL: $799
- Full: $949
- What’s inside: The Loom & Leaf is available in two different levels of firmness: relaxed firm (6/10 on the firmness scale) and firm (8/10). Relaxed firm is the most popular choice among customers. Here’s how the Loom & Leaf is constructed:
- 1 – Organic cotton covering
- 2 – Cooling spinal gel
- 3 – Eco-friendly premium foam
- 4 – Dual layer breathable support base
- Delivery/Setup: Delivery of the Loom & Leaf mattress can take up to 15 days, but it comes with free white-glove delivery and set-up. Loom & Leaf will also remove your old mattress at no cost if you have one to get rid of.
- Foundation: You’ll want a flat surface to place your Loom & Leaf mattress on. If your box spring/foundation is in very good condition, meaning it’s sturdy and isn’t sagging, it should work ﬁne.
- Return policy: If you decide the Loom & Leaf isn’t for you during your 120-day trial period, it can be returned for a full and prompt refund of the purchase price, less a $99 handling fee.
A few words from us:
- The Amerisleep AS2 is a soft and supportive medium-firm foam mattress with a cooling memory foam layer.
- It contours to your body and retains its shape as you move while sleeping. Stomach sleepers say that this mattress reduces morning achiness.
- It’s environmentally friendly, meeting Clean Air Act standards and shipped in a box comprised of recycled materials.
Word on the street:
- “I have a bad back that requires good support and my wife likes a softer mattress. We have bought a new spring mattress every 3-4 because I hate the valleys and ruts that happen. After 4 months we couldn’t be more happy.” – Styx
- “I have bought other memory foam mattresses before. This one is better than any I’ve ever had! I can’t explain why. I just know I wake up in the morning after a great night sleep. I didn’t toss and turn. I didn’t wake up every hour and look at the clock. I didn’t wake up with sore joints or muscles. I just slept. And it feels great!” – Jeano
- “We got this bed just about a week before our daughter was born and because of my pregnancy, I was experiencing serious back and neck pain. When we got the new mattress I noticed a difference the first night we had it. I woke up without the normal stiffness in my neck and ache in my lower back. I felt like I slept more soundly and the bed really supported my entire body, even my pregnant belly. I would buy this mattress again in a heartbeat.” – Sarah
Read more reviews here.
- Amerisleep AS2 sizes available:
- Queen: $1,299
- King: $1,599
- Cal King: $1,599
- Split King: $1,898
- Twin: $999
- Twin XL: $1,049
- Full: $1,149
- What’s inside: The layers inside the Amerisleep AS2 are described as they appear from top to bottom:
- High-performance Celliant cover: Designed to convert your body heat into infrared.
- Bio-Pur foam: Breathable cooling layer with open-cell structure
- Affinity layer: Ergonomic transition foam; provides pressure relief
- Bio-Core foam support layer: Eco-friendly durability and support
- Delivery: The Amerisleep AS2 Ships free to the lower 48 states and usually arrives within 5-10 business days.
- Setup: The AS2 mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation (if you’re using one), and wait for it to expand. You can also watch this video to see how it’s done.
- Foundation: Amerisleep recommends a flat surface for the AS2. You can use a flat or slatted frame, box spring with plywood, adjustable base or even set it on the floor.
- Return policy: If you are not satisfied with your AS2 within your 100-night trial period, they will help you donate your unwanted mattress and give you a full refund.
A few words from us:
- The Brooklyn Bedding Brooklyn Signature (medium) mattress is a great choice for stomach sleepers, including those who are part of a couple with varying sleep preferences as it’s also a good option for side and back sleepers.
- One quality that makes this mattress a good pick for stomach sleepers is that it is firm but not so hard that it will irritate pressure points. It also incorporates responsive technology, so it will adjust as you move throughout the night. This makes it apt for stomach sleepers who are prone to experiencing back pain from a sagging or indented mattress.
Word on the street:
- “Okay so. Let me preface by saying that this is the 3rd “box/online” mattress I have gone through over the course of a year. What they say is true! It is the BEST mattress ever. I tried satvva and avocado and they’re lumpy and horrible for my back. I had a Serta I comfort memory foam before any of them and it too failed. In came Brooklyn Bedding and it changed my life. In the first night I had zero back pain and the pillows are nothing less than perfection. I was on a pillow hunt for years. But these are heaven. I love going to sleep and staying asleep. I can’t say enough positive things about this bed. The best part was I got a king mattress, sheet set and 2 pillows for well under any of those competitors mattresses alone! #bestmattressever! Thank you Brooklyn Bedding!!!”
- “This mattress actually is the best mattress I’ve ever slept on. Couldn’t be happier with my decision to go with Brooklyn Bedding!”
- “For years I’ve struggled with my sleep, having to take melatonin, tossing and turning all night, only to wake up sore and not feeling rested at all. We got the King sized firm. I am a stomach sleeper and heavier set. It took about a week to get fully adjusted to it, but it is the best night’s sleep I have ever gotten. I am actually waking up before the alarm clock and feeling well rested, not sore at all. I am the type of person who is always cold and my boyfriend is always hot. We both sleep comfortably. He doesn’t wake up sweating. And that’s even with a mattress protector. The sheets it came with are very nice and soft too. Love the pillows! Better than the ones I got from mypillow. For the price, you can’t go wrong with this mattress.”
- Brooklyn Signature sizes available:
- Queen: $750
- King: $900
- Cal King: $900
- Twin: $425
- Twin XL: $475
- Queen Short: $750
- Full: $625
- Full XL: $700
- Split CA King: $1050
- What’s inside: The Brooklyn Signature mattress is comprised of three layers:
- A 2-inch foam top layer with responsive technology that adjusts as you move throughout the night. This layer also includes a cooling gel.
- A 2-inch high density foam middle layer that provides support and contouring.
- A 6-inch high-density foundation layer for structure, durability, and firmness.
- Delivery: Free shipping within the contiguous United States, with packages arriving within 4-8 business days. Fedex two-day shipping is available with some orders for a flat $75 fee.
- Setup: The Brooklyn Signature mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation, and wait for it to expand.
- Foundation: The Brooklyn Signature mattress can be used on most foundations, including box springs, platform beds, or slatted bed frames.
- Return Policy: If you decide to return any Brooklyn Bedding mattress within the 120-day trial period, simply contact Brooklyn Bedding to schedule a return and you will receive a full refund.
What else can stomach sleepers do to find comfort in bed?
Aside from trying to change your sleeping position (which trust us, isn’t easy), there are a few things stomach sleepers can do to alleviate pressure that’s placed on the head and neck in this position.
Healthline.com recommends these three tips for sleeping better on your stomach:
- Use a thin pillow or no pillow at all. The flatter the pillow, the less angled your head and neck will be.
- Put a pillow under your pelvis. This will help keep your back in a more neutral position and take pressure off your spine.
- Stretch in the mornings. A few minutes of stretching will help get your body back in alignment and gently strengthen supporting muscles. Be sure to warm up with a little movement before stretching, and be gentle!
Stomach sleepers: while you may not necessarily have picked the most “healthy” sleep position out there – you still deserve comfortable, uninterrupted sleep. We hope this guide provides you with helpful tips on choosing a mattress that will give you just that. If you still have questions, drop us a line in the comments below.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.