The Best Microfiber Bed Sheets
Feb 21st, 2022 •
Ever since it hit the market, microfiber fabric has climbed to the top of the ranks in go-to bedding essentials – and for good reason. Microfiber material makes some of the best sheets because they utilize highly durable and tightly woven fibers to create a soft and luxurious sleeping environment.
But with the number of microfiber sheet sets on the market today, trying to pick the best set can be pretty time-consuming. Check out our picks of the four best microfiber bed sheets you can buy:
Best Microfiber Bed Sheets
- Best Overall Microfiber Sheets – Mellanni Bed Sheet Set
- Best Design – 1500 Supreme Collection Extra Soft Sheets
- Best Cooling Microfiber Sheets – AmazonBasics Light-Weight Microfiber Sheet Set
- Best Luxury Microfiber Sheets – 1800 Series Premium Bed Sheets Set
Mellanni Bed Sheet Set – Brushed Microfiber
Best Overall Microfiber Sheets
These super soft Mellanni Microfiber bed sheets are the perfect addition to any bed. The brushed microfiber material used in these sheets makes them incredibly silky soft and will work well in any room.
These sheets even come in 50 different patterns and colors, so you can find a design that fits every décor theme. The sheet set comes in a four-piece set, including one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillowcases. The deep pocket fitted sheet is made with a full elastic band that wraps around the entire bed, not just the bed corners like some fitted sheets. Plus, Mellanni is so confident that you will fall in love with these sheets that they offer a 100% money-back guarantee on them!
- Brushed microfiber is incredibly silky soft
- 50 different patterns and colors to choose from
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Microfiber may trap heat and sleep hot
1500 Supreme Collection Extra Soft Sheets
Best Design Selection
No matter what room you are looking to add microfiber sheets into, the 1500 Supreme Collection will not disappoint. These sheets feature a double brushed microfiber to create a clean feeling of comfort and luxury.
The high-quality microfiber sheets come in a large selection of 40 different vibrant colors and patterns, so they are a great option if you are also looking to add to your décor. The feel of these 1500 Supreme sheets are comparable to a 1500 thread count, meaning these sheets are super soft.
Also, these sheets are wrinkle and fade resistant which allows you to hop into a freshly-ironed feeling bed every night. The set comes with four pieces, including two standard pillowcases, one flat sheet, and one fitted sheet that features an elastic band for a truly fitted sheet.
- Double brushed microfiber offers comfort and luxury
- 40 different colors and patterns to choose from
- Wrinkle and fade resistant
- Fabric may pill over time
- Not ideal for hot sleepers
AmazonBasics Light-Weight Microfiber Sheet Set
Best Cooling MIcrofiber Sheets for Hot Sleepers
AmazonBasics’ Microfiber Sheets were designed with the hot sleepers in mind. The microfiber material is extremely lightweight and breathable, meaning these sheets may be the perfect way to help with those night sweats.
And, even though these sheets are lightweight, they still provide exceptional insulation and temperature regulation while you sleep. The set comes with one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillowcases, all of which are independently tested and certified to meet environmental standards. The sheets come in 45 different designs, from patterns of ferns, to dots, to solid colors, so you are bound to find a design that you love.
- Lightweight, breathable fabric
- Good insulation to help with temperature regulation
- 45 designs and patters to choose from
- Made in China
- May pill after several washes
6 Piece Hotel Luxury Soft 1800 Series Premium Bed Sheets Set
Most Luxurious Microfiber Sheets
If you love the feel of a high-end hotel’s bed sheets, then this 1800 Series is perfect for you. Thanks to a proprietary weaving process that constructs the bed sheets by tightly weaving the microfiber, these sheets are soft and luxurious.
In fact, the proprietary weaving process creates a fabric that is softer and more lightweight than cotton. Because of how tightly woven these sheets are, they are hypoallergenic and actually repel dust mites. The sheets were also designed to be machine-washable without fading, a common issue with linens.
And, while most sheet sets come with four pieces, this set comes with six, including one flat sheet, one elasticized fitted sheet, and four pillowcases.
- Tightly woven fibers make sheets softer and more lightweight than cotton
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Won’t fit mattresses thicker than 16 inches
- May not hold up over time
What are Microfiber Sheets?
Microfiber bed sheets are composed of tightly woven and highly durable man-made fibers. Microfiber got its name because of the thickness – but really the thinness – of the fibers that make up the fabric. In fact, the fibers that make up microfiber bed sheets are finer than silk, which is known to be one of the finest natural fibers around.
The thickness of a fiber is measured in deniers – a high denier points to a higher thickness, while a low denier points to a low thickness. For a material to be called microfiber, it must have a diameter of less than 1 denier, while fine silk measures at 1.25 deniers. While most microfiber bed sheets are made of polyester, they can be made of nylon or other synthetic fabrics, as long as the fibers are finer than 1 denier in diameter.
Because the fibers are so thin and tightly woven, microfiber sheets are known for their softness. These sheets feel great to lay on and even get picked over cotton and silk for their super soft and cozy feel. Microfiber bed sheets are also known for their durability and affordability.
Why Buy Microfiber Sheets?
They are light enough to be used by even the hottest of sleepers yet they are insulating enough to make them the perfect bed sheet for the winter. In addition, this popular fabric is extremely affordable, so microfiber sheets are a great option for any sleeper on a budget. With all the benefits to microfiber, it really is clear why they have remained one of the most popular fabrics in bedding.
The Pros and Cons of Microfiber Bed Sheets:
- Affordability. Because they’re made from a man-made material, microfiber sheets are far more affordable than natural fabrics like silk or cotton. Producers do not have to worry about growing, harvesting, spinning, and weaving, like they do with natural fabrics; therefore, you are left with a high-quality bed sheet at a fraction of the cost.
- Durability. Microfiber sheets are composed of tightly woven microfibers. As long as those microfibers are of a good quality, the sheet becomes more durable as the fibers are woven together.
- Ease of care. While microfiber does not repel liquids completely, it takes a bit of time for a liquid to become absorbed into the sheet because of how tightly woven the fibers are. If you spill liquid on a microfiber bed sheet, you can simply wipe it away if you are fast enough. Another benefit to the care of these sheets is that they are machine-washable and they can be thrown in your drier. Finally, they are wrinkle-free, so you won’t have to worry about ironing.
- Softness. Microfiber sheets are known for how soft and smooth they are. Mostly everyone who tries them out ends up raving about how luxurious they are to sleep in.
- Not environmentally friendly. Microfiber sheets are not made from a natural fiber, which means they are not a renewable resource. In addition, these sheets are not biodegradable. Both polyester and nylon fibers are made from petrochemicals, something that negatively impacts the environment.
- Breathability. With microfiber sheets being made of tightly woven, man-made fibers, these sheets do not breathe well. Unfortunately for hot sleepers, this means that microfiber sheets tend to keep heat inside and may not be the best choice for you.
- May irritate skin. Man-made fibers often bother people with sensitive skin, so if you have skin issues like eczema or your skin simply gets irritated easily, this type of sheet may not be suitable for you.
How to choose the best microfiber bed sheets
When you are shopping for microfiber sheets, take the following information into consideration:
Grams per square meter (GSM)
Microfiber sheets are not measured in thread count, they’re measured in grams per square meter, or GSM. Typically, the GSM of microfiber bed sheets is somewhere between 50 and 120. The higher the GSM, the heavier the sheet, and the lower the GSM, the thinner the sheet. Keep in mind, a high GSM does not indicate that the sheet is of a better quality, that all depends on the material used.
Thread count comparison
Although there is no thread count, many microfiber sheets add a number to their description, such as 1800. This number does not represent a thread count or the GSM. Instead, what that seller is saying is that the sheet has a feel of an 1800 thread count.
Don’t pick the cheapest option out there. While microfiber sheets are very affordable, that doesn’t mean you want to get the least expensive option. All microfiber is not made the same. The lower priced options are not always using quality fibers to make their sheets.
Are microfiber sheets good quality?
Microfiber (which includes polyester and nylon) is made up of tightly woven fibers, which makes it exceptionally strong and durable. But the fabric is also surprisingly soft and comfortable. Microfiber also repels dust and airborne allergens. Good quality microfiber sheets will hold up better than traditional cotton sheets, but they are not as breathable as cotton.
How do I choose a microfiber sheet?
High-quality microfiber sheets are strong, durable, and soft. But there are low-quality ones on the market that rip easily and just won’t hold up over time. One way to check to see if microfiber is high quality is by holding it up to the sunlight. When you stretch out the fabric, you should not see the light pass through the tightly woven fibers. If you do, it’s not high-quality microfiber.
How well do microfiber sheets hold up?
With good care, a good quality microfiber sheet set can last years. High-quality microfiber is strong and durable and should hold up well through several washes.
Compare the best microfiber sheets below:
|Product||Material||Best for||Customer Rating|
|Mellanni Bed Sheet Set||100% polyester/brushed microfiber||Overall||4.5/5|
|1500 Supreme Collection Extra Soft Sheets||100% microfiber/double brushed||Design||4.5/5|
|AmazonBasics Light-Weight Microfiber Sheet Set||100% polyester||Hot Sleepers||4.5/5|
|6-Piece Hotel Luxury Soft 1800 Series Premium Bed Sheets Set||100% double brushed microfiber||Luxury||4.4/5|
Like all bedding accessories, it’s critical to consider every single detail when trying to find sheets that work for you. When it comes to bedding, everyone has different preferences on softness, texture, breathability, and durability.
Make sure that you take your time to discover what kind of sheet works best for you and start getting the best night’s sleep possible.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Deep Pocket Sheets
Are you tired of struggling when it comes to putting on the fitted sheet for your bedding? Learn more about the best deep pocket sheets.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Sheets
Cooling sheets are a smart investment for those prone to sleeping hot or night sweating. Finding the right set can be laborious; here are some things to consider.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Egyptian Cotton Sheets
Check out our top picks for the best Egyptian cotton sheet set online, plus learn how to properly care for these luxurious sheets.