The Best Organic Mattress Pads on the Market Today
Organic mattress pads protect your bed while safeguarding your health. Check out our picks for the best organic mattress pads available in 2021.
Mar 25th, 2021 •
Mattress pads, or mattress protectors as they are also called, are a protective layer between your mattress and your sheets. They add comfort and keep your bed clean. Organic and natural versions have entered the marketplace in response to a consumer driven desire for toxin free bedding. Seriously, who wants to be breathing flame retardants, formaldehyde, phthalates, and a host of hard to pronounce chemicals while you sleep?
The problem you can run into when looking to purchase an organic mattress pad, is the definition of organic, and how, or if, it is certified. We know with food, if it is organic, it will have a USDA Organic label to let us know. Bedding is a little more complicated. Companies can claim organic in the product name, but that might only mean the cover is organic and the base synthetic.
The process of organic certification with textiles is done by independent laboratories and nonprofits specializing in testing for safety and emissions. Manufacturers can boast these various certifications as part of their marketing. You need to look for these to know that the product has been tested, is safe, and is 100% organic.
Our Top Picks for the Best Organic Mattress Pads
Editor’s Pick: Coyuchi – Organic Mattress Pad
The Coyuchi is made from organic cotton and is fresh, crisp, and very comfortable. It makes our list of best organic mattress pads because it meets the criteria of all organic, well-made, durable, and comfortable. The company is also committed to sustainable practices and to giving back.
This pad is 100% organic cotton inside and out! It has 2-inch quilted squares, a 220 thread count, and fits up to a 15” mattress. Care instructions include monthly washing in cold water using natural soap and non-chlorine bleach. Tumble dry on a low setting with wool dryer balls.
- Price: $158.00-$298.00
- Sizes: Twin, Full, Queen, King, California King
- Rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars, 656 reviews
- Certifications: GOTS, 1 % for the Planet, Fair Trade, Climate Beneficial, MADESAFE
If you are looking for a tried and true brand, the Avocado Green Mattress pad is a great choice. It is made from certified organic cotton that is plush, quiet, and very comfortable. It is breathable and not fully waterproof, so not suited for those with incontinence issues or children still in diapers. It does, however, retard liquids from seeping into the mattress.
It comes with a 100-night trial and no questions asked return policy within that time frame. It comes with a one-year warranty and financing is available. Fitted sheet style, it is washable and dryable. The company boasts fair wages and supports sustainable causes with a portion of their proceeds.
- Price: $199.00-$299.00
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King (no crib size listed)
- Rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars, 656 reviews
- Certifications: GOTS, Fair Trade, Vegan
Holy Lamb products are sourced and produced in the Pacific Northwest and proudly display the made in the USA label. Holy lamb uses eco wool from sustainable wool farms that are chemical-free and environmentally conscious. The wool is not strictly organic but is potentially even cleaner than organic standards. Organically certified wool is difficult to source, and little is produced in the United States.
This mattress pad is made of felted wool and woven in a way that creates an excellent natural moisture barrier. It fits on any depth mattress and stay in place.
- Price: $185.00-$350.00
- Sizes: Full, Queen, King, California King
- Certifications: Eco Wool, UC Davis Toxicology Lab Tested, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified, IOAS certified, production facilities are GOTS Certified
Organic and Non-Toxic Certifications
The following are some of the more common certifications that may apply to textiles (and mattresses) including mattress pads. Also check out our articles on the best organic mattresses and best organic sheets to go with your organic mattress pad.
- CertiPUR-US: Certification for foams, like memory foam that is used in mattresses. Some mattress pads have a thin layer of foam or foam ingredients in their waterproofing. CertiPUR-US ensures the product is free from flame retardants, mercury, lead, formaldehyde, and phthalates, as well as testing for low emission levels. A mattress pad that is CertiPUR-US is not necessarily organic but may have less harmful chemicals.
- GOLS – Global Organic Latex Standard: Another foam certification that applies to natural latex products. To meet the GOLS standard, it must be at least 95% certified organic latex. The testing process includes emissions testing. Although you won’t likely find this material in a mattress pad, you will find mattress toppers made from latex.
- GOTS – Global Organic Textile Standard: This certification is the gold standard of world-wide organic recognition. If your mattress pad is truly an organic mattress pad, it will have this certification. GOTS ensures that 95% of the materials used in constructing the pad are organic. GOTS further looks at sustainability practices and chemical content of textiles from raw materials through finished product.
- GreenGuard and GreenGuard Gold: Performed by Underwriters Laboratories (UL Environment) and testing the interior air quality in relation to products and their off gassing of VOCs. Many linens, including mattress pads, do have an off-gassing process when they are made with synthetic materials; GreenGuard ensures your product has healthy levels. They can be certified at one of two levels, the GreenGuard, and the GreenGuard Gold.
- MADESAFE: Is a non-toxic chemical seal. It certifies all kinds of products, including linens, against a list of known chemicals.
- OEKO-TEX: Is a specific label from the International Association for Research and Testing that indicates a product’s materials have been tested for toxic substances. This is not an organic label, but it does tell you that the product is free from a number of harmful chemicals.
Organic Mattress Protectors
Mattress pads are thought of as insurance for your bed and organic mattress pads are insurance for both your bed and your health. Mattresses can be expensive, and a good pad is a way to keep your bed fresh and extend the life of your mattress. Sheets by themselves can wick liquids into the mattress. Dust mites, bacteria, humidity can all establish themselves in your mattress making it unhealthy. A mattress pad guards against all of this and can be washed so allergens and other unwanted elements don’t take up residence.
Related: Mattress pad vs topper
Organic mattress pads have the advantage of not adding unwanted toxins to your sleeping environment. One concern with organic mattress pads, however, is their ability to “protect” the mattress. A truly waterproof pad is not going to be made from all-natural materials. It may have an organic cover and be as natural and sustainable as possible, but 100% organic pads can only protect to a point. They come in several materials including cotton and wool which are porous. They breath nicely and can keep you very comfortable. Wool has natural oils that retard moisture and can work fairly well to keep a mattress dry.
Things to Consider When Purchasing an Organic Mattress Pad
- Price: Organic mattress pads are not a low-end item, but they may last considerably longer than other pads and offset the cost by lengthier of use. Upfront, they are more costly, but they are also an investment in your health, in sustainability, and for some people, the chance to support an eco-friendly business. Plan on a couple hundred dollars to get a good organic mattress pad in a queen or king size.
- Chemicals: The mattress pads profiled above are strictly organic, meaning without chemicals. No chemicals in the growing, processing, or finishing of the textiles used to make the pad. If you purchase a non-organic pad, or a partially organic pad, check with the manufacturer to understand what chemicals are used in manufacturing, especially if you have allergies or chemical sensitivities.
- Comfort: Organic mattress pads are generally very comfortable. They add a nice layer of cushion to your bed and cotton or wool is breathable, so you don’t get hot.
- Styles: Organic mattress pads come in fitted sheet style, flat on top versions, elastic anchors, and more. They are generally a neutral color or white as it limits dyes and they are not seen under the sheets.
- Warranty: Most organic mattress pads are made by companies that feel a strong commitment to their customers and to the way they do business, so they have good warranties. Check before you purchase, so you are aware of the terms. Most have a one-year coverage policy.
- Cleaning: It is easy to assume that all organic mattress covers are easy care and machine wash and dry, but you may find that is not the case. Read the care instructions before you purchase a pad, so you are not surprised.
- Replacement: How often should you replace an organic mattress pad? Less than if you buy a less expensive product that is manufactured with a lot of chemicals that break down the fabric. A good organic mattress pad can last for years.
There are all kinds of mattress pads and mattress protectors on the market, but if organic is your goal, consider one of our picks for best organic mattress pads. These pads are comfortable, chemical-free, and breathable. They are made from eco-conscious companies that support sustainable practices and give back to their communities by donating a portion of their proceeds. Consider things like cost relative to longevity, the warranty, and what style and material you like. More detailed reviews and ratings are available online to help guide your purchase.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Does Thread Count in Sheets Really Matter?
Thread in sheets count does matter - just not for the reasons you might think. Learn how high thread counts can be used to trick you into buying more expensive but less comfortable sheets.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Mattress Pads
Learn how adding an extra layer of cool padding to a mattress can benefit sleep and see our top picks for mattress pads that keep you cool.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Waterproof Mattress Protectors
Your mattress is not something you can throw in the wash if it gets dirty or stained. See our recommendations for the best waterproof mattress protectors.