With a variety of mattress types on the market, it can be overwhelming when deciding which is the best choice for you. A pillow top mattress is suggested by many, considering it’s basically a regular mattress combined with a built-in topper. Also known as euro tops, pillow top mattresses are practical, long-lasting, and extremely comfortable. Read along to discover our top picks for the best pillow top mattresses and what to look for when selecting the best one for you.
Gel-infused to keep you cool at night
The combination of a wrapped coil innerspring system and gel-infused memory foam earns this Classic Brands pillow top mattress our top pick for the best pillow top mattress on the market.
Why we love it:
- The mattress is made of three layers including a wrapped innerspring layer, soft comfort foam layer, and a gel memory foam layer.
- This hybrid innerspring mattress offers support, cushion, and breathability. Sewn on top of the mattress is a quilted-detailed pillow top knit cover that provides an extra cushion.
- All the foams built within this construction are 100 percent hypoallergenic and made without the use of harmful chemicals.
- You can purchase this mattress in seven different sizes.
- This mattress is also compatible with platform and adjustable beds.
Plush top layer with supportive bottom layers
Most supportive mattress
With three layers of support, this Signature Sleep pillow top mattress is an excellent choice for your sleep situation. This mattress offers 13 inches of thought-out layers that provide the utmost comfort.
Why we love it:
- The mattress is designed with an independently-encased coil system following with a cushioning comfort insulator pad. Then, it has four layers of high-density support foam and a fire retardant barrier.
- The pillow top is placed on the surface of the mattress, offering an additional plush foam layer for optimal support and pressure-relieving comfort.
- It’s made with rayon bamboo fabric that absorbs moisture, dries fast, and remains breathable while sleeping.
Low motion transfer with 1 inch of responsive foam
Best for couples
The Jenna Innerspring Mattress is built with individually wrapped pocket coils that helps couples move freely throughout the night without disturbing their partner.
Why we love it:
- This wrapped pocket coil mattress is beneficial for all types of sleepers and reduces pressure on the hips, back, shoulders, and neck.
- The construction of this mattress is made of three layers: a felt liner enclosing the individually-wrapped coils, an egg crate foam, responsive foam, and a quilted polyester tight-top cover.
- The two-inch pillow top seals the deal in bringing a personalized supportive sleep to each person who lays down.
- This mattress is available in six different sizes and three height profiles.
Sturdy and durable
Best for side sleepers
The hybrid qualities of this mattress by Signature Design by Ashley include sturdy wrapped coils and cooling gel memory foam that will contour the hips and shoulders of all side sleepers.
Why we love it:
- The wrapped coils in the lower layer of this mattress are designed to decrease motion transfer. This means you won’t be disturbed when your sleeping partner gets in or out of bed during the night.
- The cover that sits atop the gel memory foam is a 4-way stretch knit to increase the softness and comfort of the overall mattress.
- This mattress arrives to your door in a box, so all you have to do is unroll and let the mattress do it’s expanding before it’s ready to be slept on.
What to look for in your next pillow top mattress
Materials: The materials that make up a pillow top mattress can determine how breathable, long-lasting, and comfortable the overall feel is. Pillow tops are typically constructed on innerspring mattresses or hybrid models. The materials that make up a pillow top may be natural latex, cotton, wool, memory foam, fiberfill, or gel. Consider the materials that will provide you with the best sleep based on your past preference.
Firmness: Pillow tops are an excellent way to make firm beds softer, which may determine whether it’s the best solution for your needs. Firmness has a lot to do with your overall sleep support, so if you need a firm option, note that a pillow top will provide a softer cushion.
Pillow Top vs Euro Top: There are two types of constructions for topper models: pillow top and euro top. They both have an extra cushion or padding layer to the top of the mattress. A traditional pillow top is an additional layer of cushion that is sewn onto the top of the mattress, showing an obvious two-layer construction. It looks like a thinner mattress is sitting on top of a normal-sized mattress. As for a euro top construction, this type of topper covers the entire surface of the mattress and is blended in with the traditional mattress, making it look more a part of the bed as a whole. Each provides a similar softness in terms of the additional topper. Whether you choose pillow top or euro top is based on your preference of appearance and materials used.
A pillow top mattress can help you achieve a better night’s sleep with its additional built-in cushion layer. When selecting your own, consider the materials that make it up and the level of firmness you’re looking for. Pillow top and euro top mattresses are both built to provide a softer feel to the overall mattress.