Best RV Mattress Toppers in 2023
Feb 24th, 2023 •
Are you looking to improve your RV mattress? A mattress topper is a great affordable option to make a not-so-great mattress even more comfortable.
Let’s be honest, the bedroom set-up in your RV probably doesn’t match the comfortability of the one in your own home. With that said, it’s not impossible to turn your crash pad into a sleep palace.
Mattress toppers can be great if you’re using a makeshift mattress but don’t want to shift gears into buying a new one. This inexpensive option instantly takes the coziness of your bed to new heights, and can even help with back pain and other ailments.
Learn more about our top picks for the best RV mattress toppers below.
Best RV Mattress Toppers: Our Top Picks
- Best Luxury RV Mattress Topper – Saatva Mattress Topper
- Best Cooling RV Mattress Topper – Nolah Mattress Topper
- Best Hypoallergenic RV Mattress Topper – Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper
- Best Budget RV Mattress Topper – Brooklyn Bedding 2-Inch Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
Saatva Mattress Topper
Best Luxury RV Mattress Topper
This foam RV mattress topper by Saatva features the perfect example of support foam and memory foam working in harmony. This combination evenly distributes weight and helps relieve pressure. Its cotton is Fair Trade Certified and GOTS Certified, meaning that it hits high standards of ethical production and quality materials.
This mattress topper is your perfect fit if you’re a sleeper who needs extra relief or simply enjoys a medium-soft feel. Support is its first priority and the use of high-density foam provides plenty of it. Most importantly, it aims to isolate motion transfer between sleep partners. This key quality carries Saatva topper to the top of our list.
- Dual layers of body-conforming memory foam and high-density base support foam.
- Regulates temperature by capturing and distributing heat.
- Foam is on the softer side, which may not appeal to stomach sleepers.
- As a luxury option, this topper isn’t great for those on a budget.
Nolah Mattress Topper
Best Cooling RV Mattress Topper
Although foam toppers tend to trap heat, the Nolah Mattress Topper should help keep sleepers cool in the RV. For starters, it has an organic cotton cover that assists with breathability. Nolah’s proprietary foam is different from memory foam in that it works to dissipate heat.
At a two-inch height, this topper should provide some much-needed pressure relief. If you’re a fan of firmer toppers and think the Plush option might be too soft, the Nolah Mattress Topper also comes in a Luxury Firm model.
- Has an organic cotton cover and its foam is CertiPUR-US certified.
- Comes with a generous 10-year warranty.
- A luxurious but pricey option.
- Only fits mattresses up to 15 inches tall.
Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper
Best Hypoallergenic RV Mattress Topper
The Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper is great for those suffering from allergies because it’s hypoallergenic. If you’re planning on taking your RV out in the peak of allergy season, this is the topper for you.
Taking things a step further, this topper is made with not only hypoallergenic materials but high-quality ones, too. Any sleeper can appreciate its CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certifications.
- Includes straps so the topper doesn’t shift around your mattress.
- Durable baffle box construction.
- Limited size options: queen and king.
- Not in the price range of budget shoppers.
Brooklyn Bedding 2-Inch Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
Best Budget RV Mattress Topper
The cost of a mattress alone can be overwhelming, and increasingly so once you factor in accessories and pillowcases. Those with an RV, especially those who already have mattresses at home, are probably even less keen on spending money on an RV mattress and RV mattress accessories. Brooklyn Bedding enters the scene with a solution: our favorite budget RV mattress topper.
Brooklyn Bedding offers their topper in many different mattress sizes, but for a queen you won’t have to spend more than $70 before discounts. This topper stands out because it shouldn’t overheat like many others; it includes gel infusions to promote breathability. Its two-inch thickness should provide great pressure relief for back and side sleepers.
- Has stellar motion isolation, which is great news for couples.
- Available in standard sizes plus short queen and full XL
- Likely too soft for stomach sleepers.
- May not last as long as luxury toppers.
How to Find the Best RV Mattress Topper
When you’re outfitting your bedroom on wheels, your mattress topper can make or break your whole experience. Find one that’s right for you by following a few guidelines. Thickness, material, and type will tell you which road to take.
From gel-infused foam to alternative fill, the material you choose will impact your sleep immensely. Get clear on how much support you need; knowing what your body wants in a bed will point you in the right direction.
- Latex comes from rubber trees but also can be synthetic. Latex mattress toppers are firm, even more so than memory foam, and so is good for those with chronic pain. Avoid latex if you have an allergy.
- Memory foam mattress toppers provide excellent cushioning and support. It is composed of polyurethane with enhanced density. This material is good for those with chronic pain such as arthritis. Its contouring ability helps keep you in place, even with a tossing and turning partner. It can be expensive, and memory foam can cause you to overheat.
- Polyester is least expensive and least supportive. Polyester is initially fluffy but flattens quickly. Polyester blends called fiberfill are ideal for those who are allergic to down feathers, but like that feel.
- Wool fleece is harder to find, but the advantages are that it is super cushiony while not holding body heat. It is durable and expensive.
- Feather toppers, also known as featherbeds, is essentially a duvet filled with feathers. They are super soft but not very supportive. They are less expensive than other options, but you need to find out first whether you are allergic to feathers. If you are a vegan or vegetarian, you may have an ethical objection to using feathers belonging to birds.
A mattress pad or a topper, that is the question. Your understanding the difference between the two will help guide you to the right purchase, based on what you really need and based on what kind of sleeper you are. Remember that a mattress topper sits on top of your regular mattress for the purposes of extra cushioning, whereas a mattress pad provides thinner cushioning. Mattress pads, while sometimes called toppers, also can provide the function of protecting your mattress from stains, liquids, allergens and dust mites.
You should consider if you like the texture of fluffy blankets, and in that case, a mattress pad is the way to go. However, if you want to feel one with your bed where it contours and surrounds you, then a foam topper could be your best bet. If you only plan on using this extra cushioning temporarily or intermittently for a mobile home, a pad is much more flexible and easy to store.
An RV Mattress Topper is designed to fit RV mattresses, which are typically the same width as standard residential mattresses but run a bit shorter in length. For example, a RV queen mattress is five inches shorter than a standard residential queen mattress.
RV mattress toppers are designed to fit the majority of RV mattresses according to the bed foundation. However, you can also use a topper designed to fit a standard residential mattress but trim it with scissors to fit the following RV mattress sizes:
- RV Twin: 39” by 75”
- RV Full or Double: 49” to 53” by 75”
- RV Queen: 60” by 75”
- RV King: 72” by 75″
Are you looking to add comfort to your current situation or are you trying to transform it? A loftier topper or pad will make your bed feel brand-new, while a thinner one will add a little oomph. The typical topper thickness range is between 2 and 4 inches, where the 5-inch option is available but really constitutes a mattress on its own.
Two inches is the thinnest, and three inches is the most common. Just an extra inch means enhanced contouring and softness. A four inch thick topper can add years of life to your aging mattress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are RV mattress sizes different?
Yes. Many mattresses designed for RVs are different from conventional mattress sizes for bedrooms. They can be a few inches smaller in width and length to best conserve space. However, the sleeping spaces in some newer RVs use standard mattress sizes.
What thickness mattress topper should I get?
Look for a topper that is 2 to 3 inches thick, if you are looking for thermal regulation in order not to overheat. This thickness most often ensures comfort as well.
How do I make my RV bed more comfortable?
You should consider purchasing any of the following: a topper, which can be feather, wool, latex, memory foam or egg-crate; or an air or latex mattress.
How do I keep my foam topper from sliding?
You have options. You can use a snug fitted sheet and/or tape the sides of the topper to the mattress. Don’t use spray adhesive as it leaves marks on your mattress.
Can you put a regular queen mattress in a RV?
It depends on the RV bed platform. Bed foundations for a typical RV queen call for the same width but a bit shorter length by about 5 inches. RV mattresses sometimes have curved edges or other shapes designed to help them fit in the space provided. However, it is possible for an RV to have a bed platform that is standard residential size. In that case, you could use a traditional queen mattress.
What is the best mattress for an RV?
Make choosing your mattress a priority when revamping the comfort of your RV sleeping area. See top picks for purchasing the best mattress for you.
Compare our top options for the best RV mattress toppers in our comparison chart below.
|RV Mattress Topper||Material||Best for||Rating|
|Saatva||Memory Foam||Best Luxury||4.9/5|
|Nolah||Memory Foam||Best Cooling||4.9/5|
|Coop Home Goods||Memory Foam||Best Hypoallergenic||4.8/5|
|Brooklyn Bedding||Memory Foam||Best Budget||4.5/5|
Investing in a mattress topper is the most convenient way to spruce up your RV bedroom. Who says you can’t travel and sleep in style, luxury, and comfort?
You deserve your best possible sleep no matter where you go. Our top picks for best RV mattress toppers crush the myth that poor quality sleep is part of being on the road.