The Best Sleep Accessories for Pregnancy
Create a sanctuary in your bedroom with the best sleep accessories for pregnancy and plan on changing them as the week’s progress.
Dec 13th, 2022 •
Pregnancy is a tough, yet important time to get enough sleep. Along with prenatal vitamins, doctor’s visits, and comfortable clothes, plan for some needed sleep accessories to help you through the coming months as you inch closer to meeting your bundle of joy.
The Best Wedge Pillows for Pregnancy
Wedge pillows are small, incline-shaped pillows that support your baby bump. They can help take pressure off of your back and legs and support side-sleeping.
This versatile support pillow can be used throughout pregnancy. It is two-sided: one with firm foam and the other with softer memory foam for perfect support on any given day. It comes in three colors and is CertiPUR-US certified to be chemical free. It is small enough to use for travel and can double as a back or knee support as needed.
This pillow helps reduce swelling, nerve pain, and leg numbness.
- Price: $22.92
- Dimensions: 13.2 x 15 x 4.5 inches
- Rating and Reviews: 4.7 out of 5 stars, 1,720 reviews
Part of the Boppy pregnancy line, this slim wedge is easy to move around for support where needed. It promotes side-sleeping, relieves pressure, and supports the knees, back, and baby bump. It comes in two colors, and the cover is removable for easy care—perfect for travel.
- Price: $14.28-$35.00, depending on color
- Dimensions: 14 x 4 x 12 inches
- Rating and Reviews: 4.5 out of 5 stars, 1,161 reviews
The Best Total Body Pillows for Pregnancy
Especially as pregnancy progresses, a small pillow may not work to cover all the body locations that need support. A total body pillow may be the solution. The total body pillow, sometimes referred to as a c-shaped pillow, can support the head, middle, and knees all at the same time. It takes pressure off of the lower back and is considered ideal for later-stage pregnancy symptoms.
Phthalate free, latex free, lead free, and BPA free, this body pillow is one of the originals designed by a mom and nurse. The cover is removable and washable, and it is constructed to stay cool. It supports your body at multiple points to lessen pressure, lessen pain, and maintain a good blood flow.
- Price: $59.99-$69.95, depending on color
- Dimensions: 60 x 24.8 x 7.2 inches
- Rating and Reviews: 4.0 out of 5 stars, 7,395 reviews
A classic c-shaped pillow with a soft jersey cover, it has a nice price point. It easily shapes to give support where needed and has a removable, machine washable cover. It will take the place of all your other pillows and can be easily be moved around the house for support on the couch or in other rooms.
- Price: $39.00
- Dimensions: 57″ x 30″ x 7 inches
- Rating and Reviews: 4.5 out of 5 stars, 1,191 reviews
The Best U-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillows
These pillows are a slightly more elongated version of the c-shaped pillow and have the advantage that they are the same on both sides. This makes it easier to turn over during sleep. They replace a regular pillow and cradle your head, neck, back, stomach, and knees for a super supportive sleep.
Supporting the head, improving blood circulation, and relieving leg swelling, this u-shaped pillow has a hypoallergenic cover and comes in four colors. Easily portable, it works well as a nursing pillow after the baby comes.
- Price: $49.94-$63.99, depending on size
- Dimensions: 55 x 31 x 7 inches and 65 x 31 x 7 inches
- Rating and Reviews: 4.3 out of 5 stars, 2,770 reviews
A great choice for a U-shaped pillow, the PharMeDoc comes with a zippered cover that is machine washable. It has a detachable side for when you want less pillow and easily transitions from early to late pregnancy. This pillow boasts support for all kinds of pain-related pregnancy conditions, like hip pain and sciatica. It comes with a lifetime warranty and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Price: $39.95
- Dimensions: 53 x 31 x 7 inches
- Rating and Reviews: 4.5 out of 5 stars, 1,583 reviews
Pregnancy Accessories: Start with the Basics
If your mattress is on the older side, this could be the perfect time to replace it. The life of a mattress varies based on the type of material and usage. Our experts estimate that somewhere between 7 and 10 years a mattress will need replacing. Your comfort during pregnancy can’t be stressed enough, and a new mattress could work wonders. Also, consider an adjustable bed frame; the ability to easily elevate your legs and swollen feet in later pregnancy might be a lifesaver.
Inventory your bedroom. Have you covered the basics for sleep, like room-darkening curtains, comfortable bedding, a lower temperature, and keeping your bed away from noise? Work on an ideal environment for you. Would you enjoy a lavender diffuser or some white noise from a fan? Don’t struggle with sleep; find ways to make your room more comfortable.
Perhaps the single most important sleep accessory for while you are pregnant, a good support pillow can help you sleep better and ease uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms. Pregnancy pillows come in many shapes and sizes. You may need one for the beginning of pregnancy and a different one by the third trimester. They can help you sleep on your left side (the recommended position for sleep during pregnancy), or support those who can only sleep on their stomach. Here is a little information on this must-have accessory.
Once you have the perfect support pillow, other sleep accessories may seem unneeded. However, the following might be nice to have and just may tip the scales from a good night’s sleep to a great one:
- Breathing Strips: These keep sinuses open and help with snoring and nighttime breathing. Pregnancy hormones can make you stuffier than normal and easy breathing is crucial to good sleep.
- Meditation Tapes: Readily available to download online, they can relax you, keep stress low, put you to sleep, and even make labor easier down the road.
- Great Sleepwear: Find something that is comfortable in spite of tossing and turning. Extra soft fabrics, like silk, can feel great when you need a little pampering.
- Lavender: This sleep inducing scent can be that tiny tipping point into better sleep. It comes in essential oil form that can be added to your wrist or neck, or used in a diffuser in your room. You can purchase it in a sachet form and put it under your pillow, in a candle (don’t leave lit while sleeping), or as part of a lavender eye mask.
- White Noise Machine: This can be a fan, a humidifier in the winter, or a specific white noise machine. There are ones with sound like rain or ocean waves. Find something soothing for you, and let it create the perfect barrier to any outside noise.
Having good sleep accessories during pregnancy is a great way to get a better night’s sleep. They can also support a more pain-free pregnancy. Start with basics like your mattress, create a soothing sleep atmosphere in your room, and get a support pillow that is right for you. Add additional accessories to create the perfect sleep environment.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Pregnancy Pillows
Find comfort with these top rated maternity pillows.
Sleep During Pregnancy
Getting quality sleep is critical during pregnancy. Check out these 10 tips for sleeping better when you're expecting.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Body Pillows
Learn how every sleeper can benefit from sleeping with a body pillow and see our top picks.