The Best Throw Pillows
Jan 22nd, 2021 •
If you’ve been searching for a quick and easy way to add a pop of color, texture, and personality into a room, then throw pillows can be the answer to your prayers. These little pieces of home decor heaven are affordable, versatile, and hold the power to instantly tie together even the most basic of rooms.
To help you find the perfect decorative pillows for your room, we’ve spent hours curating a list of the four best throw pillows for any decor scheme and added our tips for picking the perfect pillows.
Our Picks for the Best Throw Pillows
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Best Luxury Option
There is nothing better than a plush, faux fur pillow. Not only do they add an air of elegance into a room, but snuggling up to one of these is nothing short of a luxurious experience.
Hands down, these throw pillows are the best way to “treat yourself” without having to spend a lot of your hard-earned money.
The key features of these faux fur pillows include:
- Measures 18″ (l) x 18″ (w)
- 2 pillows per set
- Ultra-plush faux fur on both sides
- 8 color choices from neutral to bold
- Machine washable
- 100% polyester filling
Best Indoor & Outdoor Versatility
For anyone wanting a versatile throw pillow that can tie-together a bedroom, living room, or outside patio, Annie Westport’s Reversible Throw Pillow is the perfect option.
With a highly durable and functional design, these pillows can survive the wear-and-tear of both indoor and outdoor use.
The key features of these decorative pillows include:
- Measures 18.5-inch (l) x 11.5-inch (w) x 5-inch (d)
- 2 pillows per set
- 20 unique patterns to fit any theme
- Some patterns feature a different design on front and back
- Cord-trimmed design
- UV resistant to prevent fading
- Easy to clean
- Plush and comfortable polyester fiber filling
Best Statement Piece
These handmade sunflower throw pillows will breathe life into any room! The 3D design and various color choices come together to create a visually stunning and quirky-cute statement piece that is perfect for a room’s much-needed personality.
Plus, since these are one-of-a-kind, handmade pieces of decor, they look way more expensive than they are!
The key features of these 3D sunflower pillows include:
- Unique, handcrafted design
- 42 color options
- 4 different sizes (12”, 13”, 14”, & 18”)
- Choice of suede, wool, or velvet
- Hidden zipper makes the pillowcase easy to remove for cleaning
- Long-lasting poly-cotton pillow insert
Best Throw Pillow Insert
Utopia is a trusted name in bedding, so you can always count on their pillows for support. These pillow inserts are known for keeping their fluffy shape and providing high-quality support for nap time.
Their durable, yet comfortable, design makes them the perfect removable insert for your throw pillow covers.
The key features include:
- 5 different sizes (12”x20”, 16”x16”, 18”x18”, 20”x20”, 22”x22”)
- Easy-to-clean poly cotton cover
- Machine washable
- Siliconized fiber filling means they will always stay plush and never look hollow or flat
- Can be used as elegant white throw pillows or as inserts
How Throw Pillows Can Improve Your Decor Game
Throw pillows are the perfect accessory for any room – they add character, personality, pops of color, texture, and pattern, and instantly pull together all the pieces of decor to result in a truly finished room. And, while you may think that throw pillows are purely aesthetic, the truth is that they can serve a far greater purpose.
When you decorate your bedroom, living room, or patio, the result is a space that is 100% uniquely yours. You want a room that shows off your personality and allows you to express yourself – and decorative pillows are a super affordable way to make any room yours.
Using throw pillows as an integral piece of your decor can also add to each room’s overall function. As much as your home is your shelter, it should also be your paradise. Think about it – it’s where you go to relax after work, create new memories, raise your family, and lay your head down to rest each night.
The bedroom is a perfect example of a room in which throw pillows can improve functionality. To fall asleep, your brain requires a calm, serene sleep environment – and your room’s decor will make or break that environment. The throw pillow colors you choose within your bedroom can induce feelings of tranquility and help to prepare your body for rest.
In addition, because our brain associates pillows with sleep, laying down on a bed full of comfy throw pillows will send signals to your brain that it is time to unwind. Plus, supportive, high-quality throw pillows will provide you with the back and neck support your body needs to get a good night’s sleep.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Throw Pillows
With the number of decorative pillows on the market, trying to find the best throw pillows can be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. On your next shopping trip, remember these helpful tips to ensure that you pick the perfect set of throw pillows for your purpose and decor.
- Identify the purpose of the room and decor. Your decor can make the most out of a room, so before purchasing any decor items you should consider what function your room serves. Is it a room for rest, fun and games, or lounging and leisure? Answering this question will give you a better understanding of the room’s personality and the sizes, shapes, colors, and textures that will be the best fit.
- Decide upon a color scheme. Deciding upon a color scheme beforehand will save you a lot of time and frustration. Remember the purpose you want the room to serve and choose a color palette that will help convey the right emotions – this will help you pick out patterns and textures, too.
- Always include some neutral colors. We love our bold and daring colors and patterns, but including a few neutral throw pillows will strike the perfect balance and bring the decor down to Earth.
- Don’t be afraid to layer patterns. While it may sound intimidating, using multiple pillows with several different patterns is a fool-proof way to transform a room from drab to fab. Just make sure to always balance out the bold patterns with subtle ones so the room remains inviting.
- Pick out your preferred sizes. Throw pillows come in all shapes and sizes, so think about where they will be and how they’ll be used to pick out the best sizes. Pillows that are 18-by-18 inches or smaller are the perfect size for most couches, large chairs, and benches, as they will still leave enough room to sit. If you want to use a single decorative pillow on the bed, you can use a long lumbar-style throw pillow. You can also use a combination of sizes on your bed, but four is usually the perfect number of throw pillows.
- Learn about fabrics. Although they’re called “decorative pillows,” they’re still going to get used, which means they will see their fair share of spills and beatings. We recommend machine-washable fabrics that can handle stain-removal. Also, you want to make sure that the materials are durable, while still being comfortable. For example, polyester and poly-cotton are two of the best picks for quality throw pillows.
When we look at the amount of design and personality these affordable, little decor-powerhouses offer, it is obvious that throw pillows are the perfect accessories for any room.
Aside from adding an interesting layer of color, texture, and personality to a room, throw pillows are a great way to add to the overall function of each room. Whether you’re looking to promote sleep within your bedroom or relaxation on your couch, throw pillows will let even the most inexperienced decorator transform their home into their personal paradise.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Reading Pillows
Discover the best reading pillows, also known as husband pillows, for your late nights with a good book.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Duvet Covers
Find out which duvet cover best suits your sleep style and see our picks for the best duvet covers of 2021.
How to Feng Shui Your Bedroom
Having trouble sleeping? I bet you’ve never considered the energy distribution in your room. Find out how to feng shui your bedroom for maximum positive energy.