The Best Sheets for Winter to Keep You Warm
Jun 6th, 2022 •
It’s important to be prepared for the colder months so you can prevent sickness and stay cozy all season long. Making sure you have a set of warm bed sheets this winter for each room in your home will save you from cold nights, runny noses, and restlessness.
We’re sharing our top picks for the best warm bed sheets and what you should consider when picking out the sheets for your home this winter.
Best Warm Bed Sheets for the Winter
- Best Overall – Mellanni Bed Sheet Set
- Best Warm Cotton Flannel Sheets – Pinzon Signature Cotton Heavyweight Velvet Flannel Sheet Set
- Best Warm Polyester Sheets – Great Bay Home Extra Soft Cozy Velvet Plush Sheet Set
- Best Winter-Themed Sheets – Home Fashion Designs Stratton Collection Flannel Sheet Set
You can feel the difference the minute you reveal these sheets out of the packaging. The Mellanni Bed Sheet Set is not just for the winter months but all times of the year. It’s made with 100 percent polyester, holding in warmth while remaining breathable.
Coming in all different sizes and colors, these sheets are made with the highest quality brushed microfiber that gives a soft, silky-smooth finish. You can throw them in the washer and dryer with ease and rest assured they’ll come out as soft and cozy as the very first touch.
- Huge selection of colors and patterns
- Fade, stain, shrink, and wrinkle resistant
- Lifetime warranty & 100% money back guarantee
- Not organic
Best Cotton Flannel Sheet
Nothing beats the comfort that comes from 100-percent combed cotton. The Pinzon Signature Sheet Set is carefully fabricated to ensure longevity for your sheets.
These are the perfect sheets for winter since they are made with 90-gram heavyweight velvet flannel. Available in queen, king, and California king sizes, each order comes with a flat sheet, fitted sheet, and two chosen-sized pillowcases.
- Made in OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory with high safety and environmental standards
- Fits mattresses up to 17 inches
- Double-napped finish on both sides for ultra velvety feel (190 GSM)
CONS Not available in Twin or Full
- Limited selection of colors and patterns
Best Polyester Sheet
If you want sheets that are warm yet remain lightweight, look no further. The Great Bay Sheet Set is just that.
Made with 100-percent polyester, these sheets can hold up during cold nights while still giving you the space you need to not feel smothered. Each set comes with a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and two pillowcases. Entirely machine-washable, you can order your set in every size with several color and pattern options available.
- Low maintenance: Machine washable
- Fits mattresses up to 17 inches
- Few color and pattern options
- No Twin XL
Best Winter-Themed Sheets
Made with 100-percent Turkish cotton flannel, the Stratton flannel sheets are perfect for the winter months. These sheet sets are designed with a deep-pocket, secure fit that makes it the perfect size for a variety of mattresses.
Not to mention, the patterns and designs on the sheets are the major selling point. The adorable polar bears, penguins in scarves, and snowflake patterns set the tone and welcome the winter with open and cozy arms!
- Fits mattresses up to 17 inches
- Resists wrinkles, shrinking and fading; Pill resistant
- Only available in winter-themed patterns
- Returns not accepted after 30 days
What are the warmest sheets for winter?
You can pack blankets and comforters onto your bed to keep you warm at night. But your nights will be a lot less suffocating if you invest in a good set of warm sheets. This extra layer of warmth and softness can trap heat and provide better insulin for those chilly winter nights. The warmest sheets are made from cozy fleece, heavier-weight cotton, and soft flannel.
Related: Best sheets guide
How to choose the best warm bed sheets for the winter
Depending on where you live will determine the type of bed sheets you need to withstand the winter months. Here are a few things to consider when picking the best warm bed sheets for your home.
Your sheets should obviously cover the top and sides of your bed while also adding a few extra inches to tuck underneath or up close to your neck – depending on how you sleep. Always look at the size measurements when you’re shopping to ensure you are getting the correct size for your bed.
- Cotton: Cotton sheets are known for their crisp coolness, but they are also great at keeping you warm during cool nights. Look for heavier-weight cotton sheets with a thread count of 400 or higher.
- Flannel: Flannel is a soft woven fabric that was originally made from carded wool or worsted yarn. Today, most flannel is made from wool, cotton, and synthetic fiber. The thickness of flannel sheets is measured in grams per square meter, or GSM. The higher the number, the warmer you’ll be.
- Fleece: Fleece is made from synthetic fibers, like polyester. It is very soft and great at wicking moisture away from the body while keeping you toasty. Like flannel, it is measured in grams per square meter.
- Wool: Wool bedding offers great benefits. That’s because wool is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant, fire resistant, durable, chemical free, and keeps you cozy warm at night. Wool-based flannel sheets may be hard to find, though.
- Silk: Silk sheets offer more than luxury. They are versatile enough to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. They also have a hugging effect, making you feel enveloped in warmth.
You must consider your allergies and your preference on texture when shopping for bed sheets. Most sheets are fabricated with cotton, synthetic fibers, or wool. In order to fully enjoy your sheets, you need to make sure your skin isn’t too sensitive for fuzzier materials. Be sure to look into all your options and think about what you have always used in the past.
For cotton sheets, the thread count refers to the number of horizontal and vertical threads per square inch. As a general rule of thumb, the higher the thread count, the tighter the weave, and the softer the fabric. A good set of sheets range from 200 to 400 thread count. Some brands boast thread counts of 1,000 or more. These sheets may be heavier and may take longer to soften over time.
Microfiber sheets may quote a number that looks like thread count, but it doesn’t apply the same way as it does with cotton sheets. Microfiber sheets are measured in grams per square meter, or GSM. Typically, microfiber sheets have a GSM of between 90 and 110. The higher the number, the more durable, dense, and warm the sheets.
It’s important to think about how much you’re willing to spend for sheets that typically won’t stay on your bed all year long. If you live in a climate that doesn’t get that cold, it may not be necessary to get the most luxurious and warmest option. On the other hand, if you do live in a cold climate, it’s a smart investment to plan ahead for a good set of sheets that will keep you comfortable and cozy all night long.
More bedding to keep you warm during the winter
- Best pajamas for cold weather
- Best electric blankest to keep you warm
- Best heated mattress pads to warm the bed
There are a lot of ways to stay warm and cozy in your bed on a cold winter night. Fleece or flannel pajamas and cozy blankets in down, fleece, and even cashmere are great options. Electric blankets and heated mattress pads are another option. But be aware that placing a heated covering directly over a latex or memory foam mattresses may interfere with the shaping of the mattress and cause damage.
What is the best fabric for winter sheets to keep you warm?
Generally speaking, the warmest sheets are made from cozy fleece, heavier-weight cotton, and soft flannel.
Are bamboo sheets warm in winter?
Bamboo sheets, or sheets made from bamboo fibers, are insulating and adjust to your body temperature to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Are fleece sheets warmer than flannel?
Fleece is soft, warm, and cozy, but fleece sheets may be too warm for some people. If you’re a hot sleeper who wants warm sheets, consider flannel sheets instead.
Are microfiber sheets for winter or summer?
Microfiber sheets capture body heat and sleep hotter than cotton, making them a better fit for chilly fall and winter nights.
Compare the best sheets for winter and cold weather below:
|Mellanni Bed Sheet Set||100% Polyester/Brushed Microfiber||Quality/Overall||4.5/5|
|Pinzon Signature Cotton Heavyweight Velvet Flannel Sheet Set||100% Cotton Flannel||Cotton Flannel||4.7/5|
|Great Bay Home Extra Soft Cozy Velvet Plush Sheet Set||100% Polyester||Polyester Sheets||4.4/5|
|Home Fashion Designs Stratton Collection Flannel Sheet Set||100% Turkish cotton flannel||Winter Themed||4.5/5|
Get ready for the winter season by purchasing warm bed sheets. Warm bed sheets will not only keep you warm through long, winter nights but it will also help you to sleep better during the climate shift. Always consider the size, materials, and price range when picking out the bedding for your home.
Best Pajamas for Cold Weather
Flannel, cotton, fleece, and silk all make great materials for warm pajamas. See our top picks so you can stay warm in your sleep.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
The Best Heated Mattress Pads
Looking for extra warmth in your bed? Consider a heated mattress pad for comfort and pain relief while you sleep.
Best Electric Blankets
Find the best heated blankets in our roundup of the top electric blankets available online. Plus, learn safety and care tips.