Best Wool Blankets
Feb 14th, 2020 •
Wool is one of the best natural insulators you can find, so it makes sense that it is used to create some of the best blankets out there. Whether you are looking for a blanket to cozy up with on the couch, take camping, or to pack as one of your emergency supplies, a wool blanket is the perfect option.
Instead of going crazy searching for a quality wool blanket, check out our picks for the best wool blankets available today and quickly find yourself the perfect blanket.
Our Picks for the Best Wool Blankets
EKTOS has a reputation for their quality wool blankets and their 90% blanket does not disappoint. The blanket was designed with camping in mind, so you can rest assured that it will keep you warm and toasty on those chilly nights.
The heavyweight wool is loom-woven and durable, offering a thick, heavy duty, and naturally long lasting blanket. It weighs 4 pounds and measures 66” x 90” – perfect for outdoor camping. The blanket is also soft, non-scratchy, and free of any odors, so you will be comfortable while you’re wrapped up tight. Also, since wool is naturally fire resistant, the blanket has no fire retardant added.
Best for Camping
Ever Ready’s extra large wool blanket measures over 7-feet long, so it is perfect to use alone or with another person. The high wool content helps the blanket trap heat and keep you warm under the harshest conditions.
The 80% wool makeup also means that this blanket is much softer and more durable than blankets made from synthetic materials. It is also fire retardant, so you won’t have to worry while you sit around the campfire or fireplace bundled up. Overall, this US Military-inspired wool blanket is perfect for everyday use or emergencies.
Best for Gifting
The Arcturus Military Wool Blanket is one of the best looking wool blankets on the market. The blanket is made up of 80% wool and is loom-woven.
It’s hemmed on all sides with contrast lock stitching, which makes this blanket look good on your couch or in your tent, while still being able to stand up strong against rugged use. The extra large design and super soft feel means that anyone will be comfortable in this blanket. Also, it is not treated with any flame retardant chemicals and is machine washable, growing softer and softer with each wash.
Pendleton has been weaving world class woolens for over 150 years and they’ve built up a strong reputation. Therefore, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that their Eco-Wise Wool Blanket is the top of the line in wool blankets.
Unlike most wool blankets, this blanket is made with 100% wool, meaning it’s the softest, warmest, and most durable blanket money can buy. This blanket is also big enough to cover an entire queen bed, measuring 90-inches by 96-inches. It is machine-washable and will not shrink, fade, or pill no matter how many washes you put it through. Plus, it comes in numerous colors and patterns, so you can pick one that you will love forever.
Why do you need a wool blanket?
Wool blankets are often associated with warmth, so people think they are only used during the colder times of the year. However, the properties of wool make these blankets ideal for year-round use. Here is why you should consider purchasing a wool blanket instead of one made of cotton or down:
- It is one of the best natural insulators. Wool is remarkably insulating, meaning that it prevents the escape of your body heat. To get similar insulation from a cotton blanket, you would need a much heavier, thicker, and more uncomfortable blanket.
- Keeps you cool. Wool has excellent absorption capabilities – in fact, it can absorb roughly 30% of its weight in moisture without feeling wet. If you sweat during the night, instead of that sweat getting trapped in the air under the blanket, the organic wool fibers will absorb the moisture and it will evaporate into the air.
- Scientifically proven to promote better sleep. We all know how vital sleep is to our overall health and wellbeing. To ensure a good night’s sleep, our bodies need to achieve homeostasis (remaining at a stable temperature). The University of Sydney found that because of wool’s incredible temperature-regulating ability, most people sleep deeper and better under a wool blanket.
- It is fire-protective. While wool will burn, its moisture and nitrogen content helps it resist combustion. Therefore, a fairly high temperature is required to ignite wool; and, if it does burn, the flames extinguish naturally.
- It’s extremely durable. Wool fibers are elastic and strong, so it can stand a great deal of rugged abuse and last for years.
- It’s sustainable. The harvesting of wool from an animal is not painful and it is naturally renewable, making this a truly friendly fiber for our use.
How to choose the right wool blanket for you
When you’re shopping for a wool blanket, make sure to consider the following features:
Material. Wool blankets are often made from sheep’s wool, however, they can also be made with the wool of camels, goats, and alpacas. When purchasing a wool blanket, you want to look for “natural fibers,” as this wool will contain little or no synthetic fibers. Synthetic fibers may irritate your skin due to the chemicals left over from production.
“Recycled” versus “Virgin” wool. “Recycled wool” is wool that has been used and recycled. This wool has a much harsher and scratchier feel to it, therefore, it is not an optimal choice for blankets or clothing. On the other hand, “virgin wool” is wool that has never been used before and is stronger, more durable, and more breathable than recycled wool. Companies are legally required to disclose if wool is recycled, so if it does not state that it is recycled wool then it’s probably virgin.
Amount of wool. The higher the percentage of wool, the better the blanket will be. The amount of wool that makes up a blanket will decide how warm the blanket is – the more wool, the better that blanket will be at trapping heat and regulating your body temperature.
Whether you want a blanket to keep you warm during a harsh night camping or you just want something cozy and durable to snuggle up with, wool blankets are an excellent choice. Don’t forget that the temperature-regulating ability of wool makes it perfect for use during the winter or the summer, so no matter the time of year, a wool blanket can be a great addition to your home.
Best Electric Blankets
Find the best heated blankets in our roundup of the top electric blankets available online. Plus, learn safety and care tips.
Best Travel Blankets
Who says you can’t get cozy while traveling? Purchase one of our top picks for the best travel blankets so you don’t miss out on any sleep or comfort.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Throw Blankets
Shopping for a wedding gift? Christmas present? Yourself? Everyone loves a good throw blanket, so we gathered our top picks available online.