Birch Plush Organic Topper Review
Add a cozy pillow-top to your mattress with this eco-friendly topper
Mar 30th, 2023 •
Wish you could transform your mattress into something a little softer and more forgiving without having to replace it entirely? Buying a mattress topper is usually the easiest solution. We’ve found you a good one to try—the Birch Plus Organic Topper is designed to give your current bed a pillow-top makeover using eco-friendly, all-natural materials like cotton, wool, and Talalay latex.
As someone who sleeps on a mattress that feels too firm for my side-sleeping, plush-loving tastes—and as a fan of the cool, bouncy feel of latex bedding—I knew I had to give this topper a test drive (or test nap, as it were).
So did it live up to my expectations? Read on for my review of the Birch Plus Organic Topper.
The Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper stacks up to be 2” thick. Its cover is made from hypoallergenic, quilted organic cotton designed to be cool and breathable. Inside, it has a fireproof layer made of hypoallergenic wool. Beneath that is the core of the mattress topper: a thick layer of Talalay latex for cushioning.
Birch’s topper is designed for those who want to give their mattress a thin layer of softness and pressure relief. Here’s where it stands out:
Eco-friendly: You can feel good about your topper purchase—all materials in this one are organic and sustainably sourced, according to Birch. They’re also GOTS and Greenguard Gold Certified, so they’ve been tested and proven free from harmful chemicals.
Cooling: Latex is a naturally breathable, cooling material so this topper should sleep cooler than most. Its cotton cover also contributes to overall breathability.
Plush Feel: If you like the feel of a pillow-top mattress, this one is an absolute dream. It adds a touch of luxury comfort to your mattress without altering the overall experience too much. I’d guess it takes off about a half-point or point of firmness, so if you have a 7/10 medium-firm mattress, the topper makes it feel like a 6.5 or 6/10.
Solid Pressure Relief: Lying on my side on the topper, I felt significant pressure relief. The topper isn’t so soft that you’ll sink very far into it, but it does give a too-firm mattress a bit more softness so your joints feel more cradled on it.
Sizes and Prices
The Birch Plush Organic Topper comes in six sizes.
|Twin||39” x 75”||$359|
|Twin XL||39” x 80”||$389|
|Full||54” x 75”||$449|
|Queen||60″ x 80″||$559|
|King||76″ x 80″||$669|
||72” x 84”||$669|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Click below to find the best price for the PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper.
Birch offers a generous 10-year limited warranty on its Plush Organic Mattress Topper to protect you from defects.
Shipping and Returns:
Birch ships its mattress toppers within 3 to 10 days of your purchase for free. Returns are free, as well. The topper comes with a 100-night sleep trial, so if you don’t feel like it works for you within that window, you can return it for a full refund.
- I love the feel of a pillow-top on a mattress, so I had a good feeling about trying this topper. Within seconds of it arriving at our Mattress Advisor test house, I busted it out of the packaging and positioned it on a queen-size mattress for testing. Unlike with most memory foam toppers, it didn’t take long to assume its plush final form—the latex topper was ready to go almost immediately.
- The first thing I noticed when I lowered myself onto the Birch Plush topper was its soft but almost grainy-feeling cotton surface texture. For actual sleep, the topper would almost certainly be covered by a fitted sheet, but it was nice to rest directly on it without one and note the high-quality feel of the materials. Even without using a fitted sheet or anchor straps, the topper didn’t shift beneath me, even when I jumped and rolled around on it to test that.
- I then assumed the sleep position I spend most of my time in—I nestled in on my side with a pillow between my knees. The topper had just enough give in it to cradle my hip, knee, and shoulder without making me feel like I was sinking down. The experience wasn’t one of super-softness or a dramatic change to the mattress beneath—I just noticed a bit more plushness and pressure relief. It felt like sleeping on a luxury hotel bed.
- When resting on my back and stomach on the topper, I felt myself to be in optimal alignment. I loved how comfortable I felt in both positions. As I moved from position to position, I experienced the bouncy responsiveness of latex—the topper immediately sprang back into place when I moved off of it.
- Fans of the slow-moving feel of memory foam might find this topper to feel too firm, and might prefer to sink a little farther into their bed. But I liked the slight resistance and bounce it has to it—and its delightful pillow-top cushion.
- “I’m a side-sleeper and I found my old mattress to be non-contouring to my sleeping needs due to excess pressure on my hip and shoulders that eventually contributed to a bad case of sciatica (no fun). Birch’s topper fixed that in a jiffy. I also experienced some triple-digit weather nights, too, and I slept cool on this topper, even with a waterproof organic mattress protector.” —Rod M.
- “I was still sleeping a bit ‘hot’ on my new expensive mattress, so began looking at latex toppers. Trust me, I thoroughly researched many of them. Due to construction, content, and workmanship, I chose this one and am SO glad I did. This is a beautiful accoutrement to the bed, is supportive, attractive, and is in no way hot. If you are going with a foam mattress or topper, premium latex is the only way to achieve this.” —Judith M.
- “I bought it because my back hurt sleeping on a new mattress I purchased. This organic topper saved me from buying a whole new mattress. No more back problems from day 1 of sleeping on it. And it’s sooo comfortable. I also like that it’s organic and didn’t have any strong chemical odors.” —Frances S.
Pros & Cons
- Eco-Friendliness: Birch makes this topper in the USA from all natural, organic materials that meet high standards for sustainability. The topper features natural Talalay latex made from the sap of rubber trees in Asia, Africa, and Brazil. It also includes organic, sustainably sourced wool.
- Cooling: The Talalay latex inside this topper sleeps cool due to its open-cell structure, so it won’t add heat to your bed—it should actually make the bed feel cooler and more breathable.
- Responsive: Due to its springy latex composition, changing positions is quick and easy on this topper. So is getting in and out of bed.
- Side-Sleeping Heaven: My mattress at home is great for resting on my back but firmer than I’d like for side sleeping. This topper gives my hips a slightly cradled feel without allowing them to sink too far down.
- Ready to Go: The Plush Organic Topper sets up quickly, with none of the chemical off-gassing smell or break-in time you get with memory foam. Just unbox it and it’s ready to add to your bed.
- Price: While buying the Birch Plush topper is much cheaper than buying a new mattress, that doesn’t mean it’s cheap. The topper has a luxury feel to it in keeping with its premium price tag.
- Not the Best for Heavier Sleepers: A heavier colleague tried this topper and felt like he sank too far into the topper for optimal support. We suspect it provides the best pressure relief and sleep experience for lighter weight and average weight sleepers.
If you like the plush luxury of a pillow-top on your mattress, the Birch Plush Organic Topper is an excellent shortcut to getting the feel without having to start over with a new mattress. A 2” topper, it has a nice, bouncy latex construction that’s supportive and responsive, and provides good pressure relief. The topper is also made from high-quality, eco-friendly materials, so it’s a good buy for a lot of reasons.
Hot sleepers and lightweight and average-weight side sleepers should give the Birch Plush topper a try—it comes with a 100-night sleep trial so you have a chance to see if it works for you before committing for good.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Organic Mattress Toppers
If you want to top off your mattress with an extra layer of comfort and safety, organic mattress toppers are the way to go. Keep reading to see our reviews of the best organic mattress toppers.
Birch Natural Mattress Review
Helix has created a mattress made from natural materials for all you eco-conscious sleepers out there. See how the Birch mattress did in our lab testing.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
Suffering from back pain? We've found the best mattress toppers that will help you sleep with ease, comfort, and support.