Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper Review
This fluffy down topper turns your bed into a soft and supportive nest. Here's what we thought after napping on it.
Mar 13th, 2023 •
If you’re looking to add a layer of puffy down to the top of your mattress, you’ll find a lot to love about the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper. Made of a 600-fill down top layer supported by a base layer of thick feathers, the topper turns your bed into a pillowy nest that still supplies plenty of support.
In this review we’ll take a look at what’s inside the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper, who we think will feel most supported by it, and what we thought after taking an afternoon power nap on it.
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.1/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8/10|
|✔️Type: Down topper|
Get $15 off
Overview: The Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper looks like a puffy duvet that you sleep atop, much like a featherbed. The topper has a 100% cotton casing and a baffle-box construction that keeps the down top layer segmented into boxed-off sections for even support. The bottom layer is made from thick duck feathers, which provide a nice base of support. It’s a great choice for those who want to give their bed more luxury softness and love the lofted feel of down.
Who Is the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper Best for?
|Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper is best for:||Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper may not be best for:|
How We Scored the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper
To evaluate mattress toppers and pads, we go through a series of tests in 5 major areas that look at the product’s functionality and comfort. In each category, we give the product a score on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being it needs improvement and 10 being it went above and beyond. We then combine the scores to get a weighted average.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper: 8/10⭐
Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper Performance Highlights
- Cooling: The fact that the topper excels at cooling might come as a surprise, considering we listed it as good for cold climates. But hear us out—while the topper feels cozy for those who tend to chill easily at night, it also has a breathable, spaced-out construction that allows for good airflow and keeps it from overheating or retaining too much body warmth.
- Even Support: Due to a baffle-box construction that separates out the down fill, the topper doesn’t feel at all clumpy when you’re lying on it. It provides thick, even support that cradles you in soft down—particularly when you’re lying on your back.
- Down Comfort: There’s just something about the classic coziness of down. If you like that soft, feathery feel, you’ll like this topper—it has a high-quality construction and an excellent ratio of down and feathers inside its cool cotton cover.
- Durability: If you take good care of them, down products can last forever. This mattress topper is made from durable, well-sourced materials that we suspect will hold up over the long haul.
- Not Easy to Wash: Brooklinen recommends you dry-clean only. If you need to clean a small area, the brand recommends you spot-clean using warm water and soap, and dry with a hair dryer on low.
- Requires Some Refluffing: Like most down toppers, you’ll have to fluff it up occasionally if you want to keep it at maximum loft. Also note: One of the biggest complaints about it from reviewers is that it sheds feathers.
- Shifts Occasionally: The Down Mattress Topper doesn’t have straps or any point of attachment, so it just sits atop your mattress. You’ll have to reposition it to keep it centered.
Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper Construction
The mattress topper has a 100% cotton shell that feels cool and crisp to the touch. This casing covers the two support layers of the topper; the cotton casing on the top layer is sewn with a baffle-box construction to maintain good loft and evenness of the fill.
Down Top Layer:
The topper’s 600-fill white duck-down top layer provides a soft marshmallow puff for sleeping. When you press into the soft down, it quickly returns to its fluffy lofted height. Beneath this layer is a few-inch-tall support base made of thick duck feathers. Just be sure to sleep with this side down if you want to avoid one of the pitfalls of sleeping on real down—getting poked with the odd vindictive feather.
What It’s Like to Lie on the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper
There’s something about resting on soft pillowy down that feels nostalgic for me—it brings back memories of nestling under a featherbed at my grandparents’ drafty old farmhouse.
Lying on this topper brought to mind a few of those cozy memories, without overwhelming me with a comparable level of warmth. To my surprise the cotton cover of the topper actually felt crisp as I lay back on it; its ultra-soft top layer maintained that level of breathable coolness for the duration of my testing.
The softness of this topper is both its greatest strength and detriment, depending on your taste in bedding and preferred firmness level. The top layer is a fluffy marshmallow of down that feels beyond luxurious, while the base layer provides more support in the form of thick feathers.
There’s not a lot of pressure relief to be had from either layer—you’ll likely want a memory foam topper if that’s what you’re looking for—but that doesn’t mean the overall effect isn’t comfortable. You don’t quite sink into the topper when lying on your back or side—it feels more like you’re nesting in it. A baffle-box construction in the top layer keeps all the down from clumping, so the topper has a nice, even feel you can spread out on.
I only tested the mattress topper over a short time period, so I imagine if you want to keep it at its maximum loft, you might have to re-fluff it occasionally. My only other caveats are that the feathers can poke out in the support layer (so keep the thinner down layer on top), and the whole thing can shift on the bed overnight if you’re not careful, as it lacks straps or an attachment skirt. It’s also not machine-washable, so you’ll likely want a mattress protector on it unless you like to live on the edge.
Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper Sizes, Dimensions, and Prices
|Full||54″ x 74″ x 5″||$349|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 5″||$349|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 5″||$389|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Click below to find the best price for the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper.
Shipping and Returns:
Brooklinen offers free shipping and free returns or exchanges.
Trial and Warranty:
Brooklinen gives you 365 nights—a full year—to decide if theirs is the down mattress topper for you. You can exchange it or return it for a refund in that time if you encounter any issues. The brand adds an additional year covered under warranty, so if the topper shows any defects in that window, you can return it.
- “I upgraded my bed with the down pillow and the Down Mattress Topper and never slept so well. I haven’t had neck pain since.” — Joyce M.
- “The mattress sleeps only on one side. If you sleep on the bottom, the feathers will end up poking out. It’s exactly what I did for the first week until I figured out that it sleeps on the other side. Once I did, this became so much more comfortable. I just wish it was washable.” — Sree
- “Seemed crazy to buy this for Hawaii, but it is so effective at giving us a great night of sleep. Our memory foam mattress was way too hot, and this has made it not only more comfortable (cloud-like) but also the right temperature.” — Brandis S.
If you like the feel of real down and want to bring more puffy softness into your nightlife, this topper is well worth considering. Sink in, and it surrounds you with coziness and luxury—without trapping heat or feeling overly stuffy.
Ultimately, we recommend the Brooklinen Down Mattress Topper to side sleepers, combination sleepers, and anyone who wants to elevate an old mattress and turn it into a softer bed. If you’re not sure if that’s you, we have some good news—Brooklinen offers a 365-night sleep trial so you have plenty of time to see if you love it or would prefer to try something else.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Down vs. Feather Pillows: What’s the Difference?
Are you on the market for a plush, hotel-like pillow? If so, knowing the difference between down vs. feather pillows can help you find the best one for you.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Brooklyn Bedding 2-Inch Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper Review
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
Suffering from back pain? We've found the best mattress toppers that will help you sleep with ease, comfort, and support.