Breaking Down the Casper Mattress Warranty
In this guide, you’ll learn which defects Casper covers for your hybrid or memory foam mattress. You’ll also get an easy guide to filing a warranty claim.
Jan 19th, 2021 •
Casper is a bed-in-a-box bedding and mattress company based in New York, and if you’re reading this, chances are you’ve replaced your old mattress with a Casper (hopefully with one of their seasonal discounts!).
Understanding the warranty for your new Casper mattress can be tricky, so we’ve translated all the important info into simple bullet points and step-by-step instructions. But first, take a quick look at the main mattress models Casper currently offers:
- Casper Original: This is Casper’s all-foam mattress. It features a medium firm feel and Certipur-US certified foam layers, so you’ll notice little to no off-gassing. The open-cell foam top layer sleeps cool and provides excellent contouring around pressure points. In fact, we recommend the Casper Original for side sleepers. Read our full Casper Mattress review.
- Wave Hybrid: Casper’s Wave Mattress pairs layers of foam with innerspring coils for extra motion transfer and edge support. The Wave is Casper’s top choice for those with back pain. It’s also high in breathability, so it’s one of their best mattresses for hot sleepers.
- Nova Hybrid: The Nova is another hybrid mattress with a plush memory foam top layer and coil system base. The 7 support zones provide targeted pressure relief, and the coils offer superior motion isolation for couples.
- Casper Element: The Casper Element is Casper’s budget mattress, great for children, teens, guest rooms, or any adults in a financial pinch. This foam bed offers great edge support and spinal alignment at a great price.
What the Casper Mattress Warranty Covers
Your Casper warranty begins after the 100-night sleep trial ends and lasts for 10 years. During the trial period, your mattress is subject to Casper’s return policy, which includes free returns, as long as the mattress is in a donatable condition.
All of Casper’s mattress models are protected by the same 10-year warranty, including those purchased through Target. Here’s what is covered:
- Sagging or indentations deeper than 1” that are not from using the wrong bed frame or foundation (for example, a bed with slats further than 3” apart)
- Cracks or splits in the foam layers that are from normal usage
- Manufacturing defects in the zipper
If your mattress is proven to have one of these defects, Casper will repair or replace your mattress (at their discretion). Be prepared to take photos of the defect, as well as describe the defect in writing. Casper also covers shipping costs for your new mattress.
What the Casper Warranty Doesn’t Cover
Here’s what Casper does not cover under their mattress warranty:
- Perceived changes in the mattress comfort or softness (however, if you notice that you aren’t experiencing as much pressure relief, reach out to a Casper customer care rep for help)
- Any damages that result from abuse or misuse of your mattress, including stains, burns, cuts, tears, or liquid damage, etc.
- Any pieces of your mattress that aren’t defective; in other words, if you have a split king foam bed, and only one side is defective, Casper’s warranty only covers the defective side
- Mattresses bought secondhand or from any retailer that is not authorized by Casper to sell their products
What Voids the Casper Warranty?
There are a few actions that can void your warranty. Make sure you are aware of these actions, so you don’t lose your warranty eligibility. Here are the specific ways you can void your warranty:
- Using the wrong bed base. Make sure your foundation has plenty of support. Platform beds, adjustable bases, and slatted bed frames are the best. Box springs and bunkie boards also work, but make sure they can support the weight of your mattress, plus you. Also use the correct size base. For example, don’t use a Twin XL bed base for a California King mattress (obviously).
- Buying a secondhand Casper mattress. Casper mattress warranties become void when they pass from the original owner to a second owner.
- Buying a Casper mattress from an unauthorized dealer. Make sure you are purchasing your Casper mattress directly from Casper or one of their authorized retailers, such as Target and Amazon.
- Removing the white law label tags on your mattress. These tags usually say, “Do not remove!” to help you remember.
- Damaging the mattress cover. Casper won’t repair or replace mattresses that have damaged covers. Consider using a mattress protector, and avoid burning candles or drinking liquids near or on your bed.
- Using your mattress for anything it’s clearly not intended to be used for (ex: a trampoline, a dinner table, a lawn chair…you get the idea)
Breaking Down The Fine Print
What about the fine print? We read it for you. Here is a condensed version of all other important details that are part of your Casper mattress warranty:
- You must be located in the United States or Canada for the warranty to apply.
- Replacing your mattress doesn’t restart the warranty period. For example, if you receive a replacement mattress during year 5 of your warranty, your coverage continues for another 5 years.
- You can opt for an upgraded Casper mattress if your original is defective. You only need to pay the difference between the cost of the two models.
- Casper’s warranty, plus any state law implied warranties, replace all other warranties.
- Casper’s mattress warranty only applies to the mattress you purchased. Sometimes mattress companies include free gifts with a mattress purchase (i.e. pillows, sheets, toppers), but those are not eligible for replacement or repair under your mattress warranty.
- Make sure you keep your original proof of purchase. Casper requires that you show proof of original ownership when you make a warranty claim.
- Keep the white law labels affixed to your mattress. They are usually located on the side near the seam. If you make a warranty claim, Casper may need the information on those tags.
How to File a Claim
Filing a warranty claim with Casper is pretty simple. Start by reaching out to their support team. You can call +1 888-498-0003 or email email@example.com.
Have your proof of original purchase on hand, including the date you purchased the mattress. Casper’s support team will request proof of the defect. They may ask you to take photos or describe the defect in writing.
Once Casper determines that your mattress does in fact have a defect covered by warranty, they will arrange to pick it up. Casper always tries to donate or recycle returned mattresses. All you need to do is remove your bedding and have the mattress ready to be picked up.
What do I do if my mattress is damaged when it’s delivered?
If your Casper mattress arrives damaged, reach out to their Quality Assurance team by calling +1 888-498-0003 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to have your order number on hand. The QA rep will ask you to describe the issue and help you to find a satisfactory solution, most likely by sending a replacement mattress at no extra cost.
What happens if I dispute a rejected claim?
Casper’s process for responding to disputes follows the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any disputes will be settled in New York, New York.
Can I return my mattress during the warranty period?
You can return your Casper mattress for a full refund during the 100-night sleep trial. Casper will arrange for the mattress to be picked up and donated. Once the trial period has ended, you are no longer able to receive a refund, but you may be able to receive a replacement mattress if your original one is defective.
Can I get free in-home setup for my replacement mattress?
If you originally paid for in-home setup with your first Casper mattress, your replacement mattress will also be eligible for in-home setup free of charge. If you would like to have your replacement mattress set up in your home, but didn’t originally pay for the service, it costs $149.
How long will it take to receive my replacement mattress?
It takes about 1 week to receive your replacement mattress. Once your claim is accepted, you will need to continue sleeping on your original mattress or find an alternative bed until your replacement arrives. Once your new mattress is delivered, Casper will arrange for your old mattress to be picked up.
Mattress Warranty Breakdowns
Having a problem with your mattress? Most mattresses come with a warranty, find out what a mattress warranty covers and how to file a claim for over 20 top brands.
Casper Mattress Coupons
Casper mattresses are for everyone, and no one has to pay full price. Using our Mattress Advisor Casper mattress coupons, you can get up to $200 off of your order for the holiday season.
Casper vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison
Are you shopping for a high-quality memory foam or hybrid mattress? Read our Casper vs Tempur-Pedic mattress comparison to find the best mattress for you.