updated October 2021
Casper vs. Novaform Mattress Comparison
Casper and Novaform craft high-quality mattresses at competitive prices. Learn how these mattress brands and their products compare in our in-depth review.
Editor’s Note: Shortages in the supply chain have created production limitations for the foreseeable future in some Casper products. Thank you for understanding.
Casper and Novaform manufacture popular mattresses for the budget-conscious consumer. Novaform’s memory foam mattresses, sold exclusively at Costco, are some of the most affordable all-foam beds on the market. Casper’s memory foam and memory foam hybrid beds are considered some of the best mattresses that you can buy, especially for the price.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at each of the Casper and Novaform mattresses and compare them to one another. By the end, you’ll be able to choose the best mattress for your needs.
- Every Casper and Novaform mattress has memory foam layers that deliver exceptional pressure relief.
- Novaform and Casper are both great values, with their feel and quality similar to beds costing 2-3 times their price.
- Both Novaform and Casper offer a variety of models that work for every sleeping position.
- Novaform only manufactures all-foam mattresses, while Casper crafts both memory foam and hybrid beds.
- Casper’s zoned support and innerspring coils result in superior spine alignment, providing relief from back pain.
- Novaform is more affordable.
- Casper’s beds are more responsive and easier to move around on.
- You can find Casper mattresses online and at Casper retail stores. Novaform beds are only offered through Costco.
- All Casper mattresses come in the same sizes (twin to California king) while most Novaform mattresses come in limited sizes.
- Casper offers a more generous sleep trial.
- The Novaform warranty is longer.
Casper Original vs Novaform Serafina Pearl
Original Casper Mattress Review Highlights
- Casper’s original mattress is one of the best mattresses we’ve tested at supporting a healthy spine, no matter the sleeping position. Their zoned support layer adds cushion at the shoulders and limits sagging at the hips.
- Casper’s memory foam responds instantaneously to movement, so you’ll never feel stuck. Combination sleepers need a responsive mattress for ease-of-movement.
- The Casper original mattress earned top scores in motion isolation, edge support, and responsiveness. Those who sleep together won’t be disturbed by one-another’s movements, you can spread out comfortably, and the surface is sex-friendly.
Novaform Serafina Pearl Mattress Review Highlights
- Novaform’s premium mattress boasts high-quality materials and a luxury mattress feel.
- The Serafina Pearl comes in 3 firmness levels. The plush has a cloudlike feel that allows you to sink in, making it an excellent choice for side sleepers. The medium firmness level falls on the softer side of medium-firm, which works well for heavier side sleepers and back sleepers. The firm mattress is made for back or stomach sleepers.
- Measuring 14” thick, this is one of few all-foam mattresses that works well for plus-size sleepers.
Compare Mattress Construction
Both the original Casper mattress and the Novaform Serafina Pearl are 3-layer memory foam mattresses. What sets them apart is the thickness of their comfort and transition layers along with the types of foam used.
The Casper mattress has a 1.5” plush comfort layer made from polyfoam, 2” of 3-zoned support memory foam, and 7” of firm support foam. While the feel is one of a medium-firm mattress with a soft surface, added cushion at the shoulders and stability around the trunk means this mattress works well for every sleeping position.
Novaform’s Serafina Pearl boasts a 3” gel memory foam comfort layer, 3” CustomWave transition foam, and 8” of supportive foam along the bottom layer. Because it has a thicker, more supportive base and 6” of contouring foam, it’s better for heavy sleepers than the Casper mattress. Thanks to 3 different firmness options, the Serafina Pearl also accommodates all sleep positions.
While both beds deliver exceptional pressure relief, the Casper provides superior spine alignment thanks to its zoned support foam. And with polyfoam rather than memory foam along the top layer, the Casper is easier to move around on. This also means that Serafina Pearl gives a deeper hugging sensation than the Casper, especially the soft and medium options.
The Serafina Pearl is less expensive than the Casper original, costing nearly $300 less for the queen-size bed. The Casper comes in more sizes than the Novaform, whose queen-size and larger beds don’t typically fit the needs of solo-sleepers.
|Casper Original||Novaform Serafina Pearl|
|Twin XL||$795||Not available|
|Split King||Not available||$999.99|
Casper Hybrid vs Novaform ComfortGrande
Casper Hybrid Mattress Review Highlights
- We’ve tested hundreds of mattresses at the Mattress Advisor lab. The Casper Hybrid is one of the highest scoring hybrid mattresses, excelling across the board.
- Casper’s zoned memory foam ensures that your body gets support and cushion in the right places. As a result, the Casper Hybrid is an excellent bed for those with aches and pains.
- When you share a bed, you want a mattress that doesn’t share your partner’s every move, one that’s sturdy along the edges, and one that’s a bit springy for adult activities. The Casper Hybrid excels in each of these categories.
Novaform ComfortGrande Mattress Review Highlights
- With AdaptiCool technology incorporated into the mattress cover, gel memory foam, and breathable air channel foam, the ComfortGrande sleeps cool for an all-foam mattress.
- The ComfortGrande delivers both pressure relief and support thanks to a plush surface and conforming support layer. Its medium-firm feel is ideal for most sleepers.
- At 14” thick with generous comfort foam and support foam, the Novaform is made for every body type—even sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Novaform ComfortGrande is an all-foam mattress, while the Casper hybrid boasts the attributes of an innerspring mattress and memory foam bed all-in-one. As such, the construction and feel of these beds is quite different.
The ComfortGrande layers 3” of gently hugging gel memory foam, 3” of air channel polyfoam, and 8” of supportive base foam. Taken together, this medium-firm mattress has a distinct memory foam feel that melts pain from pressure points and cradles the body.
In contrast, the Casper mattress has 2 layers of foam atop a layer of innerspring coils. With higher density foam along the middle of the mattress, the Casper hybrid is better at keeping the spine properly aligned, especially for side and back sleepers. It’s also bouncier and more responsive, a good thing for couples and combination sleepers.
Thanks to more generous comfort layers, we recommend the ComfortGrande for heavyweight sleepers looking for a plush feel. For those who need more support, the Casper’s innerspring coils and firm midsection are a better fit.
Finally, neither of these mattresses sleeps hot. The Novaform incorporates ample cooling technology, while the Casper has breathable coils that are naturally cool.
The Casper Hybrid is more expensive, costing over twice as much for full-size mattresses and larger. The Casper comes in twin XL, while the Novaform does not.
|Casper Hybrid||Novaform ComfortGrande|
|Twin XL||$1,095||Not available|
Casper Wave Hybrid vs Novaform Advanced Back Support
Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress Review Highlights
- The Wave Hybrid is a luxury memory foam hybrid whose feel and performance is similar to that of mattresses twice its price. Its layers of plush memory foam, naturally cool latex, and responsive pocketed coils make you feel as if you’re sleeping at a 5-star resort.
- We’ve tested a lot of mattresses, and the Wave Hybrid is one of the top performers. It’s incredibly durable, eco-friendly, and unbelievably comfortable. Excellent pressure relief, spine alignment, motion isolation, and responsiveness mean deep sleep and fewer aches and pains.
- Include the zoned support that sets Casper apart from other beds.
Novaform Advanced Back Support Mattress Review Highlights
- Ultra-firm memory foam mattresses are few and far between. For those who want exceptional support with the contouring relief offered by memory foam, the Advanced Back Support mattress is an excellent fit.
- Thanks to high-density foam throughout every layer of the mattress, this bed is impressively durable.
- This mattress is thick and supportive. As such, it’s great for all firm mattress lovers, no matter their weight.
Compare Mattress Construction
Both the Advanced Back Support and Wave Hybrid beds are thick, with generous layers ensuring proper back support. The Novaform bed is a memory foam mattress while the Casper is a hybrid that pairs layers of foam with innerspring coils.
The Casper Wave Hybrid has 5 ½” of memory foam, polyfoam, and latex before the supportive core. These plush and hugging layers create a mattress with a cloudlike surface best for side sleepers or back sleepers who like extra cushion.
In comparison, the Advanced Back Support has a very thin (2”) comfort layer above the firm support foam. The feel is ultra-supportive with minimal cushion, a balance preferred by stomach sleepers and back sleepers who like a firm feel.
The Casper mattress has a bouncier feel that makes it a bit easier to move around on, and its edges are more reliable. Both do a great job at limiting motion transfer, something critical for those who sleep with a partner, child, or pet.
The Casper Wave Hybrid is Casper’s premium mattress. As such, it’s price point is much higher than that of the Novaform Advanced Back Support mattress. The Wave Hybrid is perfect for those who want luxury at a reasonable price, and the Advanced Back Support for those who need a solid mattress at a low cost.
|Casper Wave Hybrid||Novaform Advanced Back Support|
|Twin XL||$2,195||Not available|
Casper Nova Hybrid vs Novaform SoFresh Responsive Foam
Casper Nova Hybrid Mattress Review Highlights
- The Nova Hybrid takes Casper’s signature zoned support to a whole new level. Seven zones target areas of the body for the ultimate in body alignment and pain relief.
- This mattress has generous comfort layers and zones that ensure butter-like give at lighter areas of the body. The feel is great for those who need added cushion at the pressure points. Side sleepers do well with the marshmallow-y feel.
- You rarely get deep memory foam hugging without excess heat retention, but you do with the Nova. Thanks to perforated foam and breathable coils, the Nova Hybrid keeps you cool.
Novaform SoFresh Mattress Review Highlights
- The SoFresh mattress is engineered to provide relief from asthma and allergies. Its cover is removable, machine washable, and resistant to mold and bacteria. Copper, a natural antimicrobial, is infused into the top layer for extra protection.
- SoFresh has a medium firmness level that balances pressure relief with adequate support for sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds. Its closely conforming comfort layers are best for those who like to feel hugged by their mattress.
- Thanks to its all-foam construction, the SoFresh mattress stops motion from disturbing your slumber.
Compare Mattress Construction
The primary difference between the Casper Nova Hybrid and Novaform SoFresh mattress is the construction of the support layer. The Novaform SoFresh uses high-density foam that limits motion transfer, while the Casper Nova incorporates pocketed coils for a cool, springy feel.
Both mattresses have comfort layers that feel similar to the plush cushion of a pillow top, therefore offering excellent pressure relief. Even though the SoFresh mattress is slightly firmer, registering a medium in comparison to the Nova’s medium-soft, the Nova is more supportive. Zoned foam, innerspring coils, and an extra 2” thickness mean that heavier sleepers are better supported by the Nova mattress.
The Nova Hybrid is more expensive than the SoFresh. Because the SoFresh doesn’t come in as many smaller sizes, the Nova Hybrid is better for solo sleepers.
|Casper Nova Hybrid||Novaform SoFresh Responsive Foam|
|Twin XL||$1,595||Not available|
Casper Element vs Novaform Gel Memory Foam
Casper Element Mattress Review Highlights
- Casper released the Element mattress to provide customers with a more affordable Casper mattress.
- For an all-foam bed, the Element has some of the best edge support we’ve come across. If you use the edges to facilitate entering and exiting your bed, or if you have a habit of sleeping along the edges, you’ll find the support you need.
- There are few mattresses at this price point that offer a 100-night trial period with free shipping and free returns. There’s zero financial risk to seeing if the Element fits your needs.
Novaform Gel Memory Foam Mattress Review Highlights
- The Novaform Gel Memory Foam mattress is one of the least expensive new all-foam mattresses you can buy.
- Gel infusion and minimal comfort layers reduce overheating.
- The balanced medium-firm feel and thin profile mean the Novaform Gel Memory Foam mattress is great for kids and young adults. Not only is medium-firm the ideal firmness level for most sleepers, but it will fit well in dorm bed frames or children’s bedrooms.
Compare Mattress Construction
Both the Novaform Gel Memory Foam mattress and the Casper Element are all-foam mattresses with a medium-firm feel. The Element measures 10” deep, in comparison to the Novaform’s 8”. For adults, especially those who weigh more than 130 pounds, 10” is typically the thinnest mattress with the pressure relief and support needed for a good night’s sleep. As such, the Novaform Gel Memory Foam bed is best for adolescents or lightweight college students.
Most of the additional depth is found in the Element’s comfort layer, meaning that its sleeping surface will feel more cushiony. This added cushion makes the Element better for those who spend time on their sides or prefer a mattress with plush comfort.
Both mattresses have cooling technology. The Novaform Gel Memory Foam mattress uses gel throughout the top layer to move heat from the body, while the Element uses perforated foam so airflow keeps you cooler. While neither mattress is exceptionally cool, both provide good temperature regulation for the average sleeper.
These two mattresses are the entry-level models for their respective companies. As one of the least expensive mattress brands around, the Novaform Gel Memory Foam mattress is cheaper than the Casper Element. However, only the Casper Element comes in sizes ideal for those who share their bed, as well as most adults.
|Casper Element||Novaform Gel Memory Foam|
|Twin XL||$445||Not available|
|California King||$795||Not available|
Compare Casper vs Novaform Sizes
While Casper and Novaform have similar sizes and thicknesses, there are some slight differences. First, there is 1 much thinner Novaform mattress. Thin mattresses are best for lightweight adults or young kids. Additionally, Casper doesn’t sell any split king options. However, split king is simply 2 twin XL mattresses. This means you can buy that size with both companies.
|Twin||39” x 75”||39” x 75”|
|Twin XL||39” x 80”||39” x 80”|
|Full||54” x 75”||54” x 75”|
|Queen||60” x 80”||60” x 80”|
|King||76” x 80”||76” x 80”|
|Split King||Not available||76” x 80”|
|California King||72” x 84”||72” x 84”|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
As a leading bed-in-a-box mattress brand, the Casper comes with a generous trial period. Their 100-night trial ensures that you have time to adjust to your new mattress before deciding if it’s the right fit.
If you end up returning your mattress, Casper makes it simple. After you initiate a return, Casper will organize for a local charity to come to your door and pick up the mattress. The best part? You don’t need to re-box your mattress, pay for shipping costs, or lug it to a store.
Novaform is only available for purchase at Costco. Every Costco mattress purchase is backed by their 30-day return policy. However, it can take up to 30 nights of sleeping on a new mattress for it to break in and for your body to fully adjust to the new feel. As such, it can be hard to know for sure if you love your new bed in 30 days. Additionally, you must take the mattress back to Costco to receive a refund.
Casper mattresses have a 10-year warranty while Novaform mattresses come with a longer 20-year warranty. If you’re someone who’s planning to keep your mattress for over a decade, you may want to consider opting for Novaform.
However, Casper mattresses are crafted with materials that are arguably superior to those of Novaform mattresses, so there’s a chance that a Casper bed could also last more than 10 years. It just wouldn’t be covered under warranty at that time.
Verdict: Which Is the Best Mattress Brand?
Casper and Novaform both have a generous selection of mattresses designed to every sleeper, no matter one’s body type or sleeping position. However, these beds do differ in a multitude of factors that make each a better fit for different situations.
Novaform’s beds are exclusively memory foam mattresses. What this means is that Novaform mattresses are only good for those who like the memory foam feel. If you’re someone who prefers the responsive feel of innersprings or requires the support they offer, you’d be better suited by one of Casper’s 3 hybrid mattresses.
What makes Novaform stand apart from its competitors is its shockingly low price point. You’d be hard-pressed to find a better mattress for a similar cost, which is why Novaform is one of our favorite mattress companies for shoppers on a budget. Read our Novaform mattress reviews to compare their different mattresses.
Casper is a leader in the competitive online mattress space. They offer 2 memory foam beds and 3 hybrids. The result is a line of mattresses that fits the needs of almost every sleeper. Casper mattresses are some of the highest performing beds that we’ve tested at our mattress lab, and they score well across the board. This means you won’t need to sacrifice one benefit for another—no matter your sleeping position, body weight, or sleeping habits, there’s a high-quality Casper mattress that will work for you. Check out our Casper mattress comparison to find your next mattress.
Compare Casper Mattress Models and Prices
Read our reviews of all 5 casper mattresses to learn what sets them apart and which Casper mattress is best for you.
Casper vs. Casper Wave Mattress Review
Compare the Casper vs. Casper Wave Hybrid mattress to see which is best for you based on ratings, features, price, and more.
Casper vs. Casper Element Mattress Comparison
Trying to decide between Casper’s 2 all-foam mattresses? Read our Casper Original vs Casper Element mattress comparison to learn what sets these beds apart.