The Coop Home Goods Pillow Review
Read why we think the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is worth your attention - and who will consider it the most comfortable pillow on the market.
Mar 27th, 2023 •
Tell me if you can relate: I’ve gone through my fair share of pillows to find the right fit. If a company can spare me the tedious process of trying out different pillows until we find The One, I’m in. That’s why I’ve got my eye on Coop Home Goods’ Original adjustable pillow. It arrives on your doorstep with all the potential to be the perfect pillow for you.
We decided to learn more ourselves, and this review is our full report on Coop Home Goods’ popular shredded memory foam pillow.
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 9/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100–Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️5-Year Limited Warranty|
Overview: The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow puts control in your hands. With an adjustable shredded memory foam filling, you can make it firm or soft to your liking. Plus, it comes with a bamboo and polyester blend cover that’s super soft and comfy.
Who Is the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow Best for?
|Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is best for:||Coop Home Goods Original Pillow may not be best for:|
Mattress Advisor Score for the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow
When reviewing pillows, we rate each factor on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being “exceeds expectations” and 1 being “has significant room for improvement.” To reach our final score, we calculate a weighted average from all 5 categories. Read more about our review process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Saatva Latex Pillow: 9/10⭐
Coop Home Goods Original Pillow Performance Highlights
- Support: The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow molds around your neck to fill in any gap areas between you and the mattress without being suffocating.
- Cooling: Wrapped in a bamboo blend pillowcase, this pillow does a great job of staying cool at night. No need to flip it to the other side!
- Responsiveness: This pillow does a great job of adjusting to changes in positions at night.
- Easy Care: The entire pillow is machine washable, and the pillowcase can be washed separately.
- Off-Gassing: Some customers have complained of an off-gassing smell when they initially get their pillow, but this should go away in a few days.
- Heavy: The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow can be a bit heavier than typical down pillows, particularly if you use all the filling in it.
- Durability: When testing the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow, I noticed some loose threads on the cover and the actual encasement around the pillow is very thin, making it likely to not hold up for a long period.
What’s It Made of?
Right away, I was impressed with Coop Home Goods’ Original Pillow because it’s entirely machine washable. The inner pillow and outer pillow are constructed so they can be washed and dried along with your other laundry, saving you time and effort. You also don’t need to wash the pillow very often, thanks to the hypoallergenic materials and dust-mite resistant cover.
The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow includes a specialty-made cover, pillow liner, and shredded memory foam filling. Keep reading to learn about what’s in each layer.
Speaking of the cover, it’s made of Coop Home Goods’ signature Lulltra™ fabric. It’s very soft to touch and high in breathability. The Lulltra fabric is woven from a polyester and bamboo blend—60% polyester and 40% bamboo-sourced viscose rayon, to be exact. The polyester adds durability and a luxuriously soft feel, while the sustainably sourced bamboo is breathable and flexible.
The cover is patterned with geometric stitching and features a zippered opening along the side seam. You can access the inner liner by unzipping the side of the pillowcase. You can also remove the pillowcase if you want to wash it separately.
The inner liner is easy to access through the side of the pillowcase. It’s a smooth, lightweight polyester fabric and much thinner than the outer cover. It’s also extra stretchy, so it can adapt to the full range of your head’s movements. There is another zipper on the side of inner liner that you open to reach the fill.
Coop Home Goods has three proprietary fills with different firmness levels. All of them are made with brand new memory foam that is Certipur-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified. They use their Original medium-firm fill for the Original Pillow. It’s a blend of memory foam and microfiber that is plush and snow-like (think big, fluffy flakes).
The foam is cross-cut into fine pieces that fluff up easily and support the full weight of your head. The pieces are fine enough that you won’t feel them through the liner and pillowcase. Shredded memory foam fill is better than a solid foam piece because heat can move easily between the tiny gaps in the fill. Coop Home Goods even provides an extra 1/2 lb bag of fill, so you can play with the fill level until it’s perfect for your sleep position. This is a feature that competitors like My Pillow don’t share. The pillow loft level can be adjusted by adding or removing fill. It comes at a 6″ height, which works for side and back sleepers especially.
Related: Best Memory Foam Pillows
About the Materials
The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow consists of non-toxic, hypoallergenic materials that have passed GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US certification requirements. Here we’ll go in depth about the benefits of each material.
Lulltra™, a Coop Home Goods proprietary fabric, includes a blend of 60% polyester and 40% bamboo-derived viscose rayon. Bamboo is an eco-friendly material that’s naturally breathable. This quilted fabric is thicker than the average pillowcase and super soft.
Memory foam, or viscoelastic polyurethane foam, is a popular material used in pillows. It helps keep the spine aligned and contours with your head.
Coop Home Goods coats their shredded memory foam filling with a fine layer of microfiber to help reduce clumping in the pillow. Microfiber is a very lightweight material and is highly insulated.
What Stands Out
Here are a few of my favorite Original Pillow characteristics:
- The medium-firm feel strikes a balance between soft and supportive. The combo provides vital support to your head and neck, which would otherwise slouch down, causing your neck to bend at a painful angle. If you’ve slept on it for a while and think it needs a little fluffing, toss it in the dryer for 10-20 minutes, and it will be like new.
- One of the best parts of the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is that it’s completely adjustable. If you find it’s too firm, you can simply unzip the pillow and remove some filling.
- While some pillow companies repurpose materials into their filling, Coop Home Goods freshly manufactures their foam so you don’t have to worry about getting impure byproducts.
- The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow has made several of our roundups, including best memory foam pillows and best adjustable pillows.
If you’re considering buying a Coop Home Goods Original Pillow, it’s important to know what the purchasing experience is like. Keep reading to learn about their shipping, sleep trial, and warranty coverage.
Coop Home Goods Original Pillow Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Queen||20” x 30”||$72|
|King||20” x 36”||$78|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Click below to find the best price for the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow.
|Delivery||Free shipping, arrives within 5-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||5-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns during the 100-night sleep trial|
|Financing||Available through Shop Pay|
Shipping and Delivery
Coop Home Goods offers free standard shipping to the contiguous U.S. and takes between 5-10 business days. Orders placed after 1 p.m. will be processed the following business day.
Trial and Warranty
The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow comes with a 100-night sleep trial to test it out. If you’re unhappy with your pillow, during this period, reach out to the customer service team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-316-1886. The team will send you a pre-paid return label for an easy return. Once they get your pillow, they’ll issue you a full refund within two business days to the form of payment you used to purchase it. Coop Home Goods donates gently used pillows to local charities.
Coop Home Goods also provides a 5-year limited warranty on all pillows. This covers damages to the pillow during correct use. Failure to wash your pillow properly will void your warranty.
- “This pillow has changed my sleeping experience. I have gone from using multiple pillows to one — The Coop Original. I usually sleep on my side but I sometimes sleep on my back. The pillow is great either way.” – Susan M.
- “Adore this pillow! The ability to adjust it to my own individual fit is perfect as well as the quality of the filling! It’s so smushy and squishy! Delightful!” – Ashley B.
- “Second one I’ve bought. Very comfortable and supportive but has some give to not be too firm. Comes with extra foam to adjust as needed. Solid product!” – Bryan C.
What is Certipur-US certified foam?
A Certipur-US certification is awarded to memory foams that have tested negative for ozone depleters, heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates, and flame retardants. They also have to pass air quality and emissions tests that show they have low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) emissions.
How do I wash my Original Pillow from Coop Home Goods?
The removable pillowcase and inner liner/foam can both be washed with cold water on the delicate cycle. Avoid using fabric softener or bleach. Tumble dry on a low heat setting. Only dry one pillow at a time, and note that it may take extra long to dry all of the fill. All pillow components should be totally dry before you use them again. Also, it’s helpful to pin the liner zipper closed to prevent the fill from falling out during washing and drying.
How often should I wash my Coop Home Goods Pillow?
The company recommends only washing their pillows once a year. More frequent washings could cause the materials to age faster. Use a removable pillowcase over the outer cover to prolong the lifespan of your pillow.
What’s the difference between the Original Pillow and Eden Pillow from Coop Home Goods?
The Original and Eden pillows are pretty different, although they both use Coop Home Goods’ special Lulltra fabric cover. Here are a few key differences between the two models:
- The Original Pillow is medium-firm, and the Eden Pillow is soft
- The Original is best for side sleepers, while the Eden is recommended for stomach and back sleepers
- Both pillows have breathable covers, but the Eden also has cooling gel-infused foam
- The Original does not have a gusseted structure, while the Eden has gussets around the perimeter that create a more even pillow surface
- The Eden is slightly more expensive than the Original (around $10 more)
- The Original is offered in king and queen sizes, and the Eden is offered in king, queen, and standard sizes
How much fill is recommended for my sleeping position?
Coop Home Goods recommends that side sleepers leave the fill as is or add extra fill. Back sleepers may also like the fill level as is, or may prefer to remove 1/4 of the fill. Stomach sleepers should remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the fill. Generally, stomach sleepers need a low loft level, while side sleepers need a high loft level. Back sleepers and combo sleepers fare well with a medium pillow loft.
With so many pillow options out there, it can be tough to know which one is best for you. The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is a safe choice that accommodates your needs and supports your body well. It’s also a bargain price for high-quality materials, and a low risk if you don’t like it. The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is a great option for those that want a pillow that supports them while still having some give to it. It also stays really cool, making it a great choice for hot sleepers. It’s also a safe choice for indecisive shoppers who want to test different fill levels.
Those that prefer softer pillows may want to keep shopping. Coop Home Goods also sells The Eden Pillow, which uses gel-infused memory foam and has more of a sinking feeling. They recommend this model for stomach sleepers and those who want a plush, down-filled feel.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Pillows
Learn how cooling pillows, designed to refresh and release heat, can improve your sleeping experience.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Leesa Premium Foam Pillow Review
The Leesa Pillow is a breathable memory foam pillow, made of the same great stuff as the popular Leesa mattress. Take a closer look in our full review!
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Casper Memory Foam Pillow Review
What does the Casper Foam Pillow feel like? Learn everything you need to know to decide if this is the pillow for you in our Casper Memory Foam Pillow review.