The Coop Home Goods Pillow Review
Read why we think the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is worth your attention - and who will consider it the most comfortable pillow on the market.
Jan 5th, 2021 •
Tell me if you can relate: I’ve gone through my fair share of pillows to find the right fit. If a company can spare me the tedious process of trying out different pillows until we find The One, I’m in. That’s why I’ve got my eye on Coop Home Goods’ Original adjustable pillow. It arrives on your doorstep with all the potential to be the perfect pillow for you.
We decided to learn more ourselves, and this review is our full report on Coop Home Goods’ popular shredded memory foam pillow.
Best For/Not Best For
Say yes to the Original Pillow by Coop Home Goods if…
- You like a firmer feeling pillow
- You are a back or side sleeper
- You are a snorer who needs a pillow that elevates your head and properly aligns your neck
- You are a combo sleeper who needs a flexible pillow that adapts to your changes in position
- You are a budget shoppers looking for a good value buy
- You like the feel of memory foam
Say no to the Original Pillow if…
- You are a stomach sleeper who needs a low loft pillow (although you could just remove a lot of the medium-firm fill)
- You prefer the feel of extra soft pillows, like down pillows
- You are an especially hot sleeper, in which case you’ll want a cooling pillow like the Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow
Memory Foam Pillow Construction
Right away, I was impressed with Coop Home Goods’ Original Pillow because it’s entirely machine washable. The inner pillow and outer pillow are constructed so they can be washed and dried along with your other laundry, saving you time and effort. You also don’t need to wash the pillow very often, thanks to the hypoallergenic materials and dust-mite resistant cover.
Speaking of the cover, it’s made of Coop Home Goods’ signature Lulltra™ fabric. It’s very soft to touch and high in breathability. The Lulltra fabric is woven from a polyester and bamboo blend—60% polyester and 40% bamboo-sourced viscose rayon, to be exact. The polyester adds durability and a luxuriously soft feel, while the sustainably sourced bamboo is breathable and flexible.
The cover is patterned with geometric stitching and features a zippered opening along the side seam. You can access the inner liner by unzipping the side of the pillowcase. You can also remove the pillowcase if you want to wash it separately.
The inner liner is easy to access through the side of the pillowcase. It’s a smooth, lightweight polyester fabric and much thinner than the outer cover. It’s also extra stretchy, so it can adapt to the full range of your head’s movements. There is another zipper on the side of inner liner that you open to reach the fill.
Coop Home Goods has 3 proprietary fills with different firmness levels. All of them are made with brand new memory foam that is Certipur-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified. They use their Original medium-firm fill for the Original Pillow. It’s a blend of memory foam and microfiber that is plush and snow-like (think big, fluffy flakes).
The foam is cross-cut into fine pieces that fluff up easily and support the full weight of your head. The pieces are fine enough that you won’t feel them through the liner and pillowcase.
Related: Best Memory Foam Pillows
Coop Home Goods won bonus points with me thanks to their cruelty-free research and production processes. Really though, who likes to think of cute bunnies being forced to trial chemicals or textiles for a new pillow? Plus, Coop Home Goods manufactures their sleep products in the USA, so they are regulated by US standards.
What Stands Out
Here are a few of my favorite Original Pillow characteristics:
- Adjustability: The Original Pillow loft level can be adjusted by adding or removing fill. It’s delivered with a loft of about 6”. That height works for side sleepers and back sleepers, especially once your head compresses some of the foam. It also comes with an extra 1/2 lb bag of fill, so you can play with the fill level until it’s perfect for your sleep position. This is a feature that competitors like My Pillow don’t share.
- Neck Support: The medium-firm feel strikes a balance between soft and supportive. The combo provides vital support to your head and neck, which would otherwise slouch down, causing your neck to bend at a painful angle. If you’ve slept on it for a while and think it needs a little fluffing, toss it in the dryer for 10-20 minutes, and it will be like new.
- Breathable: Coop Home Goods includes a bamboo pillow cover in their design for it’s airflow. Also, if you get a hot head at night, shredded memory foam fill is better than a solid foam piece because heat can move easily between the tiny gaps in the fill.
Take a look at the specs for the Original Pillow, including prices, sizes, shipping, trial period, and warranty.
Sizes and Prices
Coop Home Goods sells their Original Pillow in 2 sizes:
- Queen size: 20″ x 30″, $59.99
- King size: 20″ x 36″, $64.99
They also sell a body pillow and travel pillow with the same materials. The dimensions for the body pillow are 20″ x 54″, and the cost is $69.99. The travel pillow costs $29.99. It’s 19″ x 14″ when it’s unpacked and inflated, and can be compressed down to 10″ x 6″.
If you want to buy an extra 1/2 lb of the Original medium-firm fill, it costs $16.99.
Shipping and Returns
Coop Home Goods customers get free shipping within the 48 contiguous states. There is an extra shipping fee to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada. Delivery takes around 7-10 business days.
Returns are also free in the continental US. Coop Home Goods will email you a pre-paid return label. Once your returned pillow is received, it will be donated to a local charity, as long as it’s clean and functional. You’ll get a full refund within 2 business days to your original form of payment. Have your order number ready before you initiate a return. Once you’re ready, call Coop Home Goods at 888-316-1886.
Note: If you buy your Coop Home Goods pillow from one of their affiliated sellers (examples: Bed, Bed, & Beyond; Amazon; Walmart) check for their specific return policies.
Trial and Warranty
Coop Home Goods gives you a 100-night sleep trial that starts on the day of delivery. In my experience, that is plenty of time to test a new pillow. Generally, your body only needs 30 days max to adjust to a new sleeping surface. During the trial period, you can call the Coop Home Goods customer care team for help finding the perfect loft level.
You also get a 5-year warranty with your Coop Home Goods pillow purchase. That is a pretty generous warranty for bedding. Most warranty periods we see for pillows are around 1 year. The warranty covers manufacturing defects that aren’t specified, but could include faulty seams or foam that rapidly loses its supportive qualities.
The warranty will be voided if your pillow is abused or misused in any way (including not following the washing instructions). Also, in order for the warranty to be valid, you have to be the original owner and have purchased the pillow directly from Coop Home Goods or one of their approved retailers. You can begin the claim process by calling 888-316-1886 or emailing email@example.com.
The Original Pillow is Coop Home Goods’ bestseller. It has garnered an impressive 5-star average from over 12,000 customer reviews. Most consumers love their ability to adjust the fill level until it’s just right. Other reviewers have heart eyes for the way the shredded memory foam fill hugs their neck and head.
- “This pillow has changed my sleeping experience. I have gone from using multiple pillows to one — the Coop Original. I usually sleep on my side but I sometimes sleep on my back. The pillow is great either way. I bought it after ordering the toddler pillow for our 3 year old. He used to throw his old toddler pillow off the bed. He uses the Coop Pillow every night and loves it.” – Susan M.
- “I am impressed with the comfort that this pillow provides compared to traditional foam pillows. It took a few nights, and after adjusting the fill according to instructions, it is almost perfect. The pillow does well if it is fluffed up and shaped every morning as the bed is made…I recommend this pillow to anyone suffering from neck pain as it helped alleviate mine.” – Rajat K.
- “After years of interrupted sleep due to an arthritic neck and the inability to find a comfortable position, the Coop Original pillow allowed me to sleep without interruption and in complete comfort from night #1. I never write reviews, but I am so grateful to wake up without pain. Thank you Coop!” – Beth T.
Pros and Cons
|Adjustable: An adjustable loft level that accommodates all sleep positions||Off-Gassing: Some customers notice a temporary off-gassing scent after unpacking their new pillow|
|Easy Care: The entire pillow is machine washable, and the pillowcase can be washed separately||Sleeps Warm: The Original Pillow won’t sleep as cool as other Coop Home Goods pillow models, like the Eden Pillow|
|Supportive: The medium-firm foam provides ample neck support and relieves pressure on your neck and shoulders||Size Limits: This model is only available in king and queen sizes, not standard size|
What is Certipur-US certified foam?
A Certipur-US certification is awarded to memory foams that have tested negative for ozone depleters, heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates, and flame retardants. They also have to pass air quality and emissions tests that show they have low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) emissions.
How do I wash my Original Pillow from Coop Home Goods?
The removable pillowcase and inner liner/foam can both be washed with cold water on the delicate cycle. Avoid using fabric softener or bleach. Tumble dry on a low heat setting. Only dry one pillow at a time, and note that it may take extra long to dry all of the fill. All pillow components should be totally dry before you use them again. Also, it’s helpful to pin the liner zipper closed to prevent the fill from falling out during washing and drying.
How often should I wash my Coop Home Goods Pillow?
The company recommends only washing their pillows once a year. More frequent washings could cause the materials to age faster. Use a removable pillowcase over the outer cover to prolong the lifespan of your pillow.
What’s the difference between the Original Pillow and Eden Pillow from Coop Home Goods?
The Original and Eden pillows are pretty different, although they both use Coop Home Goods’ special Lulltra fabric cover. Here are a few key differences between the two models:
- The Original Pillow is medium-firm, and the Eden Pillow is soft
- The Original is best for side sleepers, while the Eden is recommended for stomach and back sleepers
- Both pillows have breathable covers, but the Eden also has cooling gel-infused foam
- The Original does not have a gusseted structure, while the Eden has gussets around the perimeter that create a more even pillow surface
- The Eden is slightly more expensive than the Original (around $10 more)
- The Original is offered in king and queen sizes, and the Eden is offered in king, queen, and standard sizes
How much fill is recommended for my sleeping position?
Coop Home Goods recommends that side sleepers leave the fill as is or add extra fill. Back sleepers may also like the fill level as is, or may prefer to remove 1/4 of the fill. Stomach sleepers should remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the fill. Generally, stomach sleepers need a low loft level, while side sleepers need a high loft level. Back sleepers and combo sleepers fare well with a medium pillow loft.
With so many pillow options out there, it can be tough to know which one is best for you. The Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is a safe choice that accommodates your needs and supports your body well. It’s also a bargain price for high-quality materials, and a low risk if you don’t like it.
I would wholeheartedly pair this pillow with my friends who are side sleepers, back sleepers, and budget shoppers. I also think it’s a safe choice for indecisive shoppers who want to test different fill levels. With a 3+ month sleep trial, risk-free returns, and low cost, there’s no harm in trying the Original Pillow from Coop Home Goods.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Pillows
Learn how cooling pillows, designed to refresh and release heat, can improve your sleeping experience.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Leesa Pillow Review
The Leesa Pillow is a breathable memory foam pillow, made of the same great stuff as the popular Leesa mattress. Take a closer look in our full review!
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Casper Memory Foam Pillow Review
What does the Casper Foam Pillow feel like? Learn everything you need to know to decide if this is the pillow for you in our Casper Memory Foam Pillow review.