Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper Review
In search of a mattress topper that has the feel of memory foam and the look of down? Here’s why you should consider the Coop Retreat.
Feb 28th, 2023 •
At first glance the Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper doesn’t look like your average shredded foam mattress topper—it has the pillowy, segmented vibe of a down or down-alternative model. But once you strap it to your bed and lie down, you’ll recognize the immediate sensation of slow-moving memory foam working to cradle your body.
In this review we’ll take an in-depth look at how this plush-feeling mattress topper was constructed, what we like about it, and where it falls short to help you decide if it’s the right mattress topper for you.
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.9/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.1/10|
|✔️Type: Memory foam topper|
Get 10% off Sitewide
Overview: The Coop Home Retreat Mattress Topper is a soft, plush-feeling mattress topper made of shredded memory foam segmented into a baffle-box construction. It’s a great choice for those looking to soften a too-firm mattress, or add more pressure relief and a luxury pillow top feel to their bed.
Who Is the Coop Retreat Mattress Topper Best for?
|Coop Retreat Mattress Topper is best for:||Coop Retreat Mattress Topper may not be best for:|
How We Scored the Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper
To evaluate mattress toppers and pads, we go through a series of tests in 5 major areas that look at the product’s functionality and comfort. In each category, we give the product a score on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being it needs improvement and 10 being it went above and beyond. We then combine the scores to get a weighted average.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Coop Home Retreat Topper: 8.2/10⭐
Coop Home Retreat Topper Performance Highlights
- Good Pressure Relief: The mattress topper’s memory foam provides excellent pressure relief for back and side sleeping. Even when I was resting on my stomach, the Retreat cradled my hips just enough for comfort without giving me the sensation of plummeting down into its foam.
- Soft Foam Feel: If you like a luxury pillow top feel combined with the body-contouring hug and support of memory foam, this topper is for you. I found it really elevated the overall comfort level of my mattress.
- Convenient Strap Attachments: The Retreat has straps at each corner of the topper, so it stays centered on your mattress and doesn’t move around when you shift positions
- Size Options: Twin- or full-sized bed sleepers will have to miss out—the Retreat only comes in queen or king sizes.
- Hard to Wash: Due to the topper’s sewn-down baffle-box construction, you can’t remove the cover—and thus can’t machine-wash any part of this topper. Coop recommends you spot-clean with a sponge and mild detergent, which is a good reason to pair it with a mattress protector.
- Cooling: The Retreat isn’t the warmest-sleeping topper, but nor is it the coolest, due its general material construction. Memory foam tends to store and retain heat almost like it’s nursing a long-standing grudge, and this topper has no added features to offset that propensity.
Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper Construction
The topper is made with a 100% brushed soft microfiber cover. Because the cover has a baffle-box construction to keep the shredded foam from balling up in one region, it can’t be removed and machine-washed—it’s essentially sewn into place on the support layer. Straps on all four corners of the cover make it easy to center on your bed so it won’t move around on you.
Memory Foam Fill
The interior of the topper is made from shredded memory foam and microfiber, which create a soft layer of support that’s about 5” thick when not compressed. That interior fill is hypoallergenic, so it shouldn’t trigger an allergic reaction. It’s also CertiPUR-US Certified to be free from harmful chemicals.
What It’s Like to Lie on This Memory Topper
The Retreat has the appearance of a classic, fluffy featherbed—when I first positioned the topper on my mattress, I wanted to back up and take a run at it, and then leap into it like a pile of raked leaves. But once I got over that instinct and settled in on the Retreat, I felt it had less of the pillowy fluff of down and more of the slow-moving feel of memory foam.
As the foam interior reshaped itself around my body, I felt like I was nestling into a supportive, cradling sponge. Because the topper’s cover is sewn into boxes to separate the interior foam, the Retreat had an even feel to it—the foam seemed well-distributed throughout, with no lumps.
The topper is soft—on a medium-firm mattress, it brings the overall firmness level down to a medium, so I imagine a medium mattress would feel far softer and cushier with it on. But when lying on my side, I felt the topper provided an excellent mix of support and pressure relief without the sinking feel of some memory foams.
On my back, the Retreat felt plush and luxurious—like a pillow-top layer. On my stomach, I didn’t sink too far into the topper to miss out on the support of the mattress beneath; my hip bones felt lightly cradled and elevated.
This is not a mattress topper I would recommend to those who like a very firm sleep surface, as it adds a layer of pillowy softness between you and the bed. But those who like a cushiony sleep experience—particularly for back sleeping—will find that it upgrades your sleep setup and gives you more reasons to look forward to lounging in bed.
Coop Retreat Mattress Topper Sizes, Dimensions, and Prices
|Queen||58″ x 78″ x 5″||$299|
|King||74″ x 79″ x 5″||$399|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Click below to find the best price for the Coop Home Goods Retreat Mattress Topper.
Shipping and Returns
Coop offers free shipping on all orders, including returns and exchanges.
Trial and Warranty
You have 100 nights to determine if this mattress topper is right for you; if you decide to return it within the sleep-trial period for any reason, Coop will provide a full refund. Check the brand’s website—the brand offers a consultation with its sleep coaches or customer service team, or the option to self-print a return label. The mattress topper also comes with a five-year warranty in case of defects.
- “I wanted to add a pillow-like mattress topper to this bed instead of wasting another $1,000 to upgrade [an] expensive mattress, and I’m glad I went ahead and did this. Now I have an extra layer of support and comfort.” — Miranda
- “It’s so hard to get out of bed now in the mornings because it’s so comfortable! I used this on an air mattress for a few months when my parents were visiting and it made my sleeping experience infinitely better. No back pain!” — Debbie
- “Our mattress was about 3 years old and was beginning to feel a little less forgiving. The Retreat Topper was like getting a new mattress, one that treats each part of your body with whatever level of comfort and support it needs. The only caveat I would offer to others is to be prepared to feel the need for a MUCH lower loft pillow than you’ve been using.” — Stan F.
If you’re looking for a mattress topper to completely change the feel of your mattress—particularly if you’re looking for something that combines the best qualities of a memory foam topper and a soft, pillowy featherbed—the Retreat is an excellent option. It offers great pressure relief for back sleepers in particular, and sleeps fairly temperature-neutral, so it should work well unless you tend to sweat heavily at night.
Coop offers a 100-night sleep trial and free returns and exchanges, so you can try it free and return it if it’s not offering the comfort and support you’re looking for.
How long does it take for a memory foam topper to expand?
Like memory foam mattresses, memory foam toppers, typically take 24-72 hours to expand fully. We recommend waiting a day before sleeping on it so you can get the full experience.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Coop Home Goods Original Pillow Review
Here’s why we think the Coop Home Goods Original Pillow is worth your attention. Is it the best pillow for you?
Mattress Firmness Guide
Learn what mattress firmness really means and how to determine which firmness is best for you.
Sleep and Relationship Satisfaction
We surveyed 1,000 Americans to learn how sleep affects relationship satisfaction. We studied couple's sleep quality, sex lives, and relationship satisfaction to understand the link between successfully sharing a bed and staying happy with a partner.