Pillow tops and euro tops are similar in that they’re both an extra layer of padding or cushion on top of a mattress. Where they differ is how they’re attached to the mattress.
Let’s take a look at the similarities and differences between euro top and pillow top mattresses to see if they might be right for you. And even if they’re not, at least you can impress your friends with some new vocabulary.
How pillow tops and euro tops are similar
- Both are an extra layer of padding or cushion on top of the mattress, which can be made of foam, down or other hybrid materials.
- Both are typically going to make your mattress feel softer.
- Both add a few inches or so to the overall mattress height, which could mean an investment in deeper sheets.
- Both tend to be better for side or back sleepers.
How pillow tops and euro tops are different
- A pillow top mattress looks like someone just laid a giant pillow blanket over the mattress, but it’s actually stitched onto the mattress to keep it from falling off.
- However, there is a slight gap between the mattress and pillow top.
- Pillow tops can feel softer than euro tops because they’re less taught on the mattress, allowing you to sink in a bit more.
- Compared to euro tops, pillow tops tend to shift around more as you move or change positions; however, this can be minimized by adding a mattress cover and sheets Can shift, lose shape.
Examples of pillow top mattresses
Hampton and Rhodes Pillow Top Mattress (comes with pillow top)
Hybrid foam + coil mattress
$499 for queen
Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Plush Super Pillow Top (comes with pillow top)
Hybrid foam + innerspring mattress
$934 for queen
- On a euro top mattress, the extra layer of padding is affixed to the mattress and sits flush on all sides.
- Because it sits flush and is more taught than a pillow top, euro tops tend to have better edge support
- Euro tops will still feel soft, but not as soft as pillow tops.
- A euro top mattress tends to maintain its shape longer since there’s less shifting that happens when it’s affixed on all sides. (Of course, this depends on the type and quality of the mattress too.)
- A euro top will look more like one cohesive mattress, although this doesn’t matter too much because it will be covered with sheets.
Examples of euro top mattresses
Avocado (option to add euro top)
Hybrid latex + innerspring mattress
$1,699 for queen with euro top
Saatva (comes with euro top)
Hybrid memory foam + coil on coil mattress
$999 for queen
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.