updated May 2023
Helix vs Puffy Mattress Comparison
Helix and Puffy are both bed-in-box mattress companies that deliver comfort to your door. In this comparison, we’ll help you decide which one is best for you.
Helix Sleep and Puffy offer an array of mattresses for pretty much any type of sleeper, which is why it may be challenging to make up your mind. We did some in-depth research and testing to provide you with a detailed comparison that puts six mattresses side by side. Keep reading to decide which company to pursue.
Helix vs Puffy: At a Glance
|Best For||Side sleepers, plus-size sleepers, shoppers who prefer all-natural beds, hot sleepers, people preferring customization||Memory foam shoppers, side sleepers, stomach sleepers, people with back or joint pain, couples, those who want long warranty periods|
|Price Range||$649 – $2,499||$1,449 – $3,449|
|Special Features||Pressure-relieving Memory Plus Foam, breathable Tencel cover, all-natural materials (Birch mattress), gel-infused foams||Ergonomic Zoned Support, breathable Airscape Foam, temperature-regulating latex foam, durable pocketed coil systems|
- Sleep Trial: Helix and Puffy offer customers similar trial periods in the 100-day range so customers have enough time to decide if the bed fits their needs.
- Made in the U.S.: Both mattress companies construct their products in the United States.
- Cooling: Helix and Puffy utilize cooling technologies to help draw body heat away from the mattress and promote breathability.
- Warranty: Puffy provides a lifetime warranty, whereas Helix offers a 10- to 25-year warranty, depending on the mattress you purchase.
- Construction: Helix only sells hybrid mattresses, while Puffy also offers an all-foam option.
- Pressure Relief: With the exception of the Puffy Royal Hybrid, Helix offers better pressure-relieving capabilities.
Helix Dawn vs Puffy Original Mattress
Helix Dawn Mattress Review Highlights
- Edge Support: This firmer Helix mattress provides excellent edge support to keep those who like to sprawl out from toppling on the ground.
- Spinal Alignment: The Helix Dawn earned a 9/10 for spinal alignment, meaning you don’t have to worry about waking up with a sore back after sleeping on this bed.
- Affordable Price: As one of Helix’s signature beds, the Dawn is priced quite reasonably, with a queen size mattress starting at $1,199.
Puffy Original Mattress Review Highlights
- Edge Support: This mattress also ranked pretty high for edge support due to its support foam layer.
- Spinal Alignment: With a near-perfect score in spinal alignment, you can rest assured that your back will stay in the proper position at night.
- Cooling: For a memory foam mattress, the Puffy Original does a pretty good job of staying cool.
Compare Mattress Structure
The Helix Dawn and Puffy Original are different types of mattresses. The Dawn is a hybrid mattress, made up of foam layers and a coil system, while the Puffy is a memory foam mattress. Due to its dense foam layers, the Dawn has a firmer feel and the Puffy has a medium-firm feel.
The Helix Dawn is wrapped in a soft touch cover, which promotes breathability. Its top layer consists of dynamic foam, which gives it a responsive, and supportive feel. The transitional layer contains a firm polyurethane foam that keeps the body from sinking and provides excellent lumbar support. Helix Dawn also has a pocketed coil support layer to create optimal spinal alignment. At the bottom of the bed is a DuraDense foam base layer to help stabilize the bed.
The Puffy Original is made up of two proprietary memory foam layers. The first is a Cooling Cloud™ Gel-Infused Memory Foam that disperses heat from your body and creates a cooler surface. Below is a Climate Comfort™ Memory Foam, which is resistant to temperature changes so you can stay cool all year round. The mattress also has a firm core support base layer made out of polyfoam for durability and structure support.
Of the two, the Helix Dawn is significantly cheaper than the Puffy Original mattress. It costs around $500 less, but doesn’t come with some of the amenities the Puffy does, such as a lifetime warranty and faster shipping.
|Helix Dawn||Puffy Original|
Helix Midnight Mattress Review Highlights
- Motion Transfer: The Helix Midnight’s foam layers allow you to move around without disturbing your partner.
- Edge Support: With a near-perfect score in this category, the Helix Midnight will provide the support you need when you spread out and use all the mattress surface.
- Spinal Alignment: This mattress will keep your back in a neutral position all night long to help you avoid waking up with stiffness or soreness.
Puffy Royal Hybrid Review Highlights
- Pressure Relief: The Puffy Royal Hybrid excels in providing cushioning to sensitive pressure points, like the shoulders and hips.
- Luxury Feel: This mattress comes with seven layers of cloud-like comfort, making you fall asleep like royalty.
- Stain-Resistant Cover: Accidents happen, which is why you’ll be happy to hear that the Puffy Royal Hybrid comes with a stain-resistant cover to make cleanup a breeze.
Compare Mattress Structure
The Helix Midnight and Puffy Royal Hybrid are both medium-firm mattresses with hybrid constructions. The Midnight is more responsive and does a better job of offering edge support, while the Royal Hybrid provides excellent pressure relief.
The Helix Midnight has two foam layers and one innerspring system. At the top is a comfort layer, which provides cushioning to your body. The transitional layer uses a high-grade polyfoam to provide support. Finally, a body shape layer, made up of individually wrapped coils, adds another level of support and helps limit motion transfer. The bed ends with a supportive base layer made of DuraDense.
The Puffy Royal Hybrid also includes a combination of foam layers and an innerspring system but has an added 2” and two extra foam layers. The first layer is a cooling foam infused with gel to keep you from getting too warm at night. Next, a contouring memory foam gives a pleasant hugging sensation and helps provide maximum recovery. The proprietary Climate Comfort™ Foam makes up the support layer and alleviates pressure relief. The last foam layer consists of Cloud Air Technology Foam, a polyfoam that provides zoned support. At the bottom is an innerspring layer with high-density foam and individually wrapped coils.
The Puffy Royal Hybrid is more than double the price of the Helix Midnight, making the Midnight the better choice for those on a budget. However, both companies offer financing through Klarna. Helix also offers financing through Katapult for those with poor or no credit.
|Helix Midnight||Puffy Royal Hybrid|
Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Review Highlight
- Cooling: The Midnight Luxe earned a near-perfect score for cooling thanks to its innovative technology that absorbs excess heat to regulate your body temperature and prevent night sweats.
- Responsiveness: We gave the Helix Midnight Luxe a high score for responsiveness since it adjusted well to our body when we changed positions.
- Spinal Alignment: During our evaluation, the Helix Midnight Luxe did a good job of keeping our tester’s back straight so they can be free of pain.
Puffy Lux Hybrid Review Highlights
- Most Popular: The Lux Hybrid Mattress is Puffy’s most popular mattress, likely due to its medium-firmness level, which works well with all sleeping positions.
- Cooling: Puffy’s use of Cooling Cloud technology helps keep you cool even on the hottest of nights.
- Spinal Alignment: Keeping a straight spine at night is important so you don’t get back aches and thanks to the Lux Hybrid’s firm core support, your back will be in proper position all night long.
Compare Mattress Structure
The Helix Midnight Luxe and Puffy Lux Hybrid are luxury mattresses with plush tops. Both have hybrid constructions that can hold between 700-1,000 lbs. The Helix Midnight Luxe is capable of holding more weight due to its high-density memory foam.
The Helix Midnight Luxe starts with a premium pillow top and breathable cover. The support layer includes high-density memory foam that provides excellent cushioning and support. Its Gel Visco Comfort Layer helps the bed provide pressure relief. Below is a high-grade polyfoam transitional layer that separates the comfort layer from the coil system. Finally, the bed has an individually wrapped pocket coil system that offers zoned support.
The Puffy Lux Hybrid includes a stain-resistant cloud cover that is hypoallergenic. The first foam layer is a gel-infused memory foam that keeps you cool. Next, a plush dual cloud foam helps to contour your body. The signature Climate Comfort™ Memory Foam layer keeps the bed at a comfortable temperature. Puffy Lux Hybrid also has a 7” contour-adopt coil layer that provides durability.
As luxury mattresses, the Helix Midnight Luxe and Puffy Lux Hybrid both come at higher price points. The Puffy Lux Hybrid is slightly more, costing between $200-$700 more for smaller models. The Helix Midnight Luxe is a little more expensive for the king and California king sizes. Keep in mind that both Helix and Puffy often offer sales and promotions throughout the year.
|Helix Midnight Luxe||Puffy Lux Hybrid|
The Helix and Puffy mattresses have similar dimensions, with the exception of the Puffy Original mattress, which is 2” thinner than the Helix Dawn. Luxury mattresses for both brands come in thicker dimensions at 14” tall.
|Thickness||12” – 14”||10” – 14”|
|Twin||38”” x 75”||38” x 75”|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||38” x 80”|
|Full||54” x 75”||53” x 75”|
|Queen||60” x 80”||60” x 80”|
|King||76” x 80”||76” x 80”|
|California King||72” x 84”||72” x 84”|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Trial Periods Explained
Both companies offer a standard trial period, with Helix giving consumers 100 nights to try out their mattresses and Puffy offering 101 nights. During this time, you can return your mattress for free if you are unhappy with your purchase. Helix also sends a mattress topper during their trial period for those looking to adjust the firmness of their mattress.
All Puffy mattresses come with a lifetime warranty for the duration that you own your mattress. Helix offers a 10-year limited warranty for all of their signature mattresses, including the Helix Midnight and Helix Dawn. The Luxe mattress line includes a 15-year limited warranty and the Birch mattress comes with a 25-year warranty.
Which Is the Best Mattress Brand for You?
If you’re looking for a great cooling mattress company, both brands are excellent options. Helix mattresses are generally more affordable and have better responsiveness thanks to their dynamic foam layers. However, Puffy mattresses come with lifetime warranties and tend to ship faster.
The following are our recommendations for different types of sleepers:
- Best for side sleepers: The Puffy Royal Hybrid is a great option for side sleepers thanks to its pressure-relieving abilities.
- Best for stomach sleepers: The Puffy Lux Hybrid has the right firmness level for stomach sleepers, providing a comfort layer while still supporting the hips so they don’t sink too much.
- Best for plus-sized sleepers: The Helix Dawn’s high-density foam and durable coils make it a great choice for plus-sized sleepers.
- Best for budget shoppers: The Helix Midnight and Helix Dawn are the best options for those on a budget, with a queen size starting at $1,199.
- Best for couples: The Helix Midnight and Puffy Original mattresses received top marks for motion isolation, something couples value when sleeping together.
- Best for combo sleepers: The Helix Midnight and Midnight Luxe have the highest scores for responsiveness in this list, meaning they do the best job of adjusting to your changes in position.
- Best for hot sleepers: The Helix Midnight Luxe is the coolest mattress in this comparison, thanks to phase change material, cooling foam, and breathable coils.
Helix vs. Leesa Mattress Comparison
Leesa is a reliable choice for average sleepers, while Helix offers mattresses catered to specific sleepers. We highlight those differences in this comparison.
Casper vs Nectar Mattress Comparison
Stuck between a Casper vs Nectar mattress? Check out our comparison review to see which mattress is best for you. Compare price, size, materials, ratings, and more.
Casper vs Tuft & Needle Mattress Comparison
Shopping for a new online mattress? Our Casper vs Tuft & Needle mattress comparison will give you the information you need to find your perfect bed.