Lagoon Chinchilla Pillow Review
Side and back sleepers who like a soft, low-lofted pillow will have a good night on this one. Here’s what we thought after testing it overnight.
Apr 30th, 2023 •
[By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.]
The Lagoon Chinchilla is a low-lofted pillow with a soft microfiber fill. Due to its lower loft, it works well for stomach sleepers and most back sleepers—and in our testing, we found it also suits some small-bodied side sleepers, as well.
The Chinchilla is just one of Lagoon’s seven pillows named after animals and designed to meet the needs of a wide range of body types and sleep styles. If you want to learn more about which of Lagoon’s pillows might best fit your needs, check out the brand’s Pillow Quiz.
We had the chance to test the Chinchilla overnight—read on for more on what we thought about it. (And if you’re a side sleeper who likes an adjustable memory foam pillow, check out our review of the Lagoon Fox, which might be more to your liking.)
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 9/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️5-Year Limited Warranty|
|✔️30-Night Sleep Trial|
The Chinchilla is made from a 100% down alternative microfiber fill, zipped inside of a 50% bamboo and 50% cotton liner. Layered on top is a soft cover made from 38% bamboo and 62% polyester. You can zip that layer off to remove and machine-wash it.
Good support for back and stomach sleepers: Down or down alternative pillows have a reputation as fluffy but unsupportive—this one is not only low-lofted but also provides good pressure relief and support, particularly for back and stomach sleepers.
Super-soft: The pillow feels soft, but not too compressive.
Adjustable: If you want an even lower-lofted pillow, you can remove some of the microfiber filling. Just unzip the cover, unzip the liner, and pull out as much as you need to.
Sizes and Prices
- Queen, 20” x 30”: $120
- King, 20” x 36”: $140
All of Lagoon’s pillows come with a five-year limited warranty against defects. This is designed to give you some quality assurance.
Shipping and Returns
Lagoon offers free shipping and free returns in the contiguous U.S. Expect your pillow to arrive within 5 to 10 days.
The Chinchilla isn’t the pillow recommended to me by Lagoon’s Pillow Quiz, so I was skeptical about how well it would work for me. I’m primarily a side sleeper—and I loved the brand’s Fox pillow—but I do sometimes switch to my back, so I decided to give the Chinchilla a shot.
The first thing I noticed is how much flatter and softer the Chinchilla felt than the memory foam-constructed Fox pillow I had slept on the night before.
When lying on my back on the Chinchilla, it held my spine in ideal alignment and felt like it dissolved all the built-up pressure in my neck. I switched to my stomach, and felt equally comfortable—though I would probably remove some fill if I were planning to spend an entire night in this position.
It’s clear why customer reviewers love the Chinchilla for back and stomach sleeping. It feels soft and supportive, and compressive without deflating entirely like some down pillows do.
It’s also pretty thin, which made it far less comfortable and supportive when I rolled over onto my side to go to sleep. For predominant side sleepers, a taller, denser pillow might feel better for you—unless you’re someone who knows they love a lower loft.
For a more accurate test of what the Chinchilla pillow can do for its intended audience, I gave it to my sleep partner, who sleeps on her back and loves low-loft pillows. She found the Chinchilla to be perfection in pillow form—and still resents that we have to return the pillow after testing.
Her understated review is that “The Chinchilla is good for someone who likes a thinner pillow. It’s supportive, and doesn’t collapse like a lot of feathery-type pillows.”
More controversially, she also found it comfortable for side sleeping, as well. So if you have a smaller body type, you might find the Chichinalla supports you in that position, too. Overall, we both found the pillow to be high-quality, cool to the touch, and breathable.
- “My husband is more of a back sleeper and I am more of a side sleeper. We both tend to like a softer pillow. The Chinchilla was perfect for both of us. It gave that cloud-like sinking feel we were looking for, and the adjustable fill made it possible for us to each customize the loft to fit our liking (his a little more lofty and mine a little less). I would highly recommend!” —Samantha G.
- “I’m one of those people that stuck with the same flat pillow for years because it was too hard to find a replacement. But this one did the trick!! Great pillow!” —Jacob W.
- “Way too soft for me. Just sinks in like you’re sleeping on the bed, will likely give away as I prefer medium firm. Otherwise well made.” —Lauren B.
Pros & Cons
- Low loft: Depending on your sleep position and personal preference, this might be a pro or a con. For most back and stomach sleepers, it tends to be a huge pro—the pillow is supportive without lifting your neck out of alignment.
- Adjustable: If you like an even flatter pillow, you can remove some of the microfiber fill. Just unzip the cover and liner.
- Super-soft support: A soft, thin pillow doesn’t have to be an unsupportive one. This pillow won’t go completely flat on you. It supplies just enough softness and structure.
- Hypoallergenic: You get the puffy feel of down without any allergy concerns. It’s also easy to remove and wash the cover to keep it free from dust and mites.
- Won’t suit many side sleepers: If you like a higher-lofted pillow, this one isn’t going to work for you. Consider the Fox pillow or one of Lagoon’s other options.
- Not suited to all budgets: If you’re looking for a “cheap” pillow, this might not be the best option for you. That said, Lagoon stands by the quality of its products with a 30-night sleep trial and five-year limited warranty, so if you have the money to spend, we think the pillow is worth it.
After spending a few nights with the Lagoon Chinchilla, I think it’s an excellent pillow for stomach and back sleepers—and anyone who loves a low-lofted but supportive pillow. The Chinchilla is made from a soft down alternative, and you can remove some of its microfiber fill if you’d like the pillow to sit even flatter.
Lagoon gives you a 30-night sleep trial to make sure the Chinchilla is right for you; however, if you’re not even sure if this is the pillow you want to try, you can take the brand’s Pillow Quiz first.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Hypoallergenic Pillows
Whether you have allergies or not, everyone benefits from a pillow that forbids dust mites and other allergens from getting anywhere near your head while sleeping. Discover the best hypoallergenic pillows here.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Hypoallergenic Pillowcases
Are you trying to play it safe while you sleep? Hypoallergenic pillowcases are a simple and affordable solution to shooing away creepy crawlies and bacteria. Continue on to see our top picks for the best hypoallergenic pillowcases.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Soft Pillows
Are you letting subpar pillows keep you up at night? Life’s short - invest in soft pillows for consistently sound sleep and a refreshing wake-up. Keep on reading to find out our top picks for the best soft pillows.