Lagoon Fox Pillow Review
This supportive, versatile memory foam pillow has a medium firmness and removable fill. Lagoon claims it will work for most sleepers—but here’s who I think will like it best.
Apr 24th, 2023 •
[By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.]
The Lagoon Fox is a medium-firmness foam pillow with the versatility to suit most sleep positions and body types. It’s just one of the brand’s seven animal-monikered pillows designed to meet the needs of all sleepers—from those who want an ultra-soft microfiber cushion (the Puffin), to those who prefer a firmer slab of memory foam (the Hippo).
I was excited to test the Fox not just because it’s the brand’s best-seller, but also because it was the pillow prescribed to me by the fun seven-question quiz on Lagoon’s website, which steers you toward your optimal individual pillow. (You can take the quiz here.)
So did the Fox meet my needs as well as promised? I’ll get into it in this review.
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.8/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 9.5/10|
|✔️Type: Memory Foam Pillow|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️5-Year Limited Warranty|
|✔️30-Night Sleep Trial|
The Fox is made from an 80% shredded memory foam and 20% polyester microfiber fill, inside of a 100% polyester liner. The fill inside is removable, so you can zip open the liner and remove foam to adjust the height and firmness of the pillow. Layered on top is a soft cover made from 38% bamboo and 62% polyester. You can zip that layer off as well; it’s machine-washable for easy cleaning.
Versatile support level to suit all sleep positions: This pillow really does strike a sweet spot between too soft and too firm—and too flat and too lofted. It works for most sleepers because it feels comfy and supportive without being too much of any one thing.
Adjustable filling: That said, if you don’t like the firmness or loft of the pillow, you can always remove filling. The Fox has an outer cover and inner liner. Just unzip the two and pull out as much shredded memory foam as you choose.
Eco-friendlier materials: Lagoon’s memory foam is both Oeko-Tex Standard 100-certified and Certi-PUR US-certified to be free from harmful chemicals.
Sizes and Prices
- Queen, 20” x 30”: $120
- King, 20” x 36”: $140
All of Lagoon’s pillows come with a five-year limited warranty against defects. This is designed to give you some quality assurance.
Shipping and Returns
Lagoon offers free shipping and free returns in the contiguous U.S. Expect your pillow to arrive within 5 to 10 days.
As someone who suffers from neck pain, I love testing new pillows in search of some supportive, mythical ideal—the one true pillow that will erase all the tension in my body and give me the best night’s sleep of my life.
The Fox pillow from Lagoon struck me as a contender. Not only is it just a well-reviewed pillow designed to be versatile enough to suit most sleepers, but it’s also the specific model prescribed to me by the Lagoon website’s Pillow Quiz.
Once I had the pillow at my house, I was delighted by its medium level of firmness and what felt like an ideal level of loft. I’m not a fan of puffy down pillows, but I also don’t like when memory foam pillows just feel like a hard, flat slab of foam. The Fox finds a nice balance, with a medium softness that maintains good structure and support when you put weight on it.
Lying on my side on the Fox, my spine felt in ideal alignment. The fill of the pillow perfectly conformed to the space between my neck and shoulders to give me excellent support and pressure relief—so much so that I felt zero tension in my typically achy neck. When I moved to my back, the pillow felt a bit too firm and lofted at first, but eventually, I settled in and felt comfortable.
I’m not a stomach sleeper, but I tried sleeping on my stomach with the Fox. You’d definitely need to remove foam from the pillow to find a comfortable position with it on your stomach, but the Fox makes it easy to do so—you just unzip both the pillow’s soft, machine-washable cover and inner liner and pull out microfiber and shredded foam.
The fact that you can adjust the fill means that there really isn’t a type of sleeper this pillow can’t support, unless you just don’t like the contouring feel of memory foam.
After sleeping with the pillow overnight, I noted that it didn’t overheat or feel stuffy, though it also wasn’t the coolest pillow I’ve tested. This is likely due to the Fox’s gel-infused foam—memory foam tends to sleep warm, but Lagoon’s use of cooling gel helps prevent the pillow from retaining body heat.
When I woke in the morning, I felt rested and pain-free for the first time in recent memory. There were no little twinges in my neck as I rose out of bed. So for now, my long quest is over—I think I’ve found my optimal pillow. Well done, Lagoon Pillow Quiz! You called it.
- “It felt like a too-soft down alternative pillow even after pulling it out of the dryer and adding the whole extra bag of fluff. I was super disappointed—until I laid my head on it. I don’t know what kind of magic is in this pillow, but somehow it’s both sink-in soft AND incredibly supportive.” —Jackie F.
- “The pillow is soft but gives support and allows versatile sleep positions. My neck pain went away.” —Diana D-K.
- “The pillow provides firm, but not too firm support and is very moldable for whatever position I am sleeping in.” —Teresa E.
Pros & Cons
- Contouring support: The Fox contours to your head and neck to provide customized support. It feels comfy but firm enough to keep you in good alignment in any sleep position.
- Works for most types of sleepers: The Fox is nothing if not versatile—it’s ideal for side and back sleeping, and even some stomach sleepers. It also tends to work well for sleepers of all sizes.
- Good pressure relief: When lying on my side, I felt zero pressure buildup in my neck—the pillow molded to the gap between my head and shoulder and provided even support. I woke up with no neck pain, which is rare for me.
- Adjustable fill: If the pillow feels too hard-packed or tall, you can easily pull out the fill to get it to the right height. I loved the pillow for side sleeping but felt it was a bit too tall for lying on my back. After removing a bit of foam, it was perfect for me.
- Breathable: The pillow sleeps fairly cool due to its gel-infused memory foam construction and breathable surface materials.
- Not “fluffy”: Those who prefer the softer, lofted feeling of down or down alternative might find this pillow to be too firm.
- Too high for most stomach sleepers: The pillow doesn’t compress down far enough to work for stomach sleepers, who tend to favor thinner pillows. (Try the Lagoon Chinchilla pillow if this is you.)That said, if you strictly sleep on your stomach, you can remove a lot of the filling to make the pillow lie flatter.
- Not suited to all budgets: Not everyone wants to spend more than $100 on a pillow. Lagoon has several cheaper models, but none that are “cheap.” That said, Lagoon stands by the quality of its products with a 30-night sleep trial and a five-year limited warranty, so if you have the money to spend, we think the pillow is worth it.
The Fox is Lagoon’s best-selling pillow, with good reason—it suits back sleepers and side sleepers of all sizes, and has a removable memory foam fill that allows you to adjust its height to your liking.
It also contours to your body to provide good spine alignment and pressure relief, so you wake with less neck and back pain. After sleeping with this pillow for one night, it’s my new pillow of choice—I rolled out of bed with zero tension in my normally achy neck.
That said, pillow choice is a highly individual affair. If you’re in search of a new pillow but unsure about this one, take Lagoon’s Pillow Quiz to learn which of the brand’s seven animal-themed models might be right for you. Lagoon gives you a 30-night sleep trial, so you have time to change your mind after ordering.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Memory Foam Pillows
Find out how sleeping on a memory foam pillow can improve your sleep, and get links to the best memory foam pillows of 2023.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Pillows for Neck Pain
Learn how the right pillow can eliminate your neck pain and see our picks for the best pillows for neck pain of 2021.
Best Mattress for Neck Pain
The wrong mattress can be a pain in the neck. Check out our top 6 picks for best mattresses for neck pain and get on the road to sleeping and feeling better.