Layla Mattress Topper Review
Looking for a memory foam mattress topper with cooling properties? Consider the Layla memory foam topper.
Jan 19th, 2021 •
You may have heard of Layla’s memory foam mattress. It’s flippable, with a soft side and firm side. Even with two firmness options, Layla anticipated that consumers would want even more precise comfort, so they developed their mattress topper. It’s got all the same bells and whistles as their mattress at a fraction of the price.
We took an in depth look at the Layla Mattress Topper, and recorded our notes on construction, feel, pros, and cons. If you are considering adding Layla’s topper to your current mattress or a new mattress, this review will help you decide if it’s the best mattress topper for you.
Layla Topper Construction
The Layla Topper looks like it belongs right on top of a Layla mattress. It has the same THERMOgel mattress cover, which is your first defense against overheating.
I liked the polyester-viscose–lycra blend for the fabric. Polyester is really durable and more stain-resistant than cotton. Viscose adds a nice plush feel, and the lycra keeps the cover flexible, so you can fully sink into the memory foam.
The core of the topper is 2” of memory foam. It’s pretty plush, so it definitely softened the feel of our mattress. Generally, if you have a firm mattress, it will drop the firmness level to medium-firm. It will make a softer mattress extra soft.
Those with Layla mattresses will notice a 15-20% reduction on the firmness scale. If you’re on the soft side of the Layla, the feel will drop from a 3.5/10 to a 2/10. The firm side goes from a 7/10 to a 5 or 6/10.
We noticed that adding the Layla topper to a firm mattress made it more comfortable for side sleepers and stomach sleepers. It does a really good job of contouring around target pressure points. Adding the topper to an already soft mattress feels luxurious at first; just make sure you get enough support for your sleeping position, or you might develop back pain from poor spinal alignment.
Copper Gel Beads
My favorite part of the Layla topper is the copper-infused gel beads in the memory foam. As a combination sleeper, I love the pressure relief of memory foam, but summers in the south can get HOT. The gel beads in this topper naturally draw heat away from my body and distribute it across the mattress surface. That way it doesn’t get stuck right under me.
In case you’re wondering, you can’t feel the copper beads in the memory foam. They are tiny, and I wouldn’t even know they were there if I hadn’t read up about Layla’s topper.
Related: Layla Hybrid Mattress Review
What Makes this Memory Foam Topper Special?
Not many mattress toppers, much less mattresses, include copper-infused foam. Copper’s benefits are all over the map:
- Sleeps Cool: Copper is high in thermal conductivity, so it does a good job of transferring body heat away from the mattress surface.
- Extra Support: When compressed, copper particles cause the foam to firm, so you’ll feel cradled along your whole body.
- Antimicrobial: When copper pieces are pressed together, they create a natural barrier against bacteria (read: stinky smells).
- Anti-Inflammatory: As if copper wasn’t already magical enough, it reduces inflammation in your body.
Like I mentioned before, memory foam + summers in the south = sweat. Fortunately I’ve got a great A/C system, but some people just sleep hot. The Layla topper is made with almost identical materials as their memory foam mattress, so you get the benefit of their cooling THERMOgel cover and body heat absorbing copper-gel beads.
Memory foam is known for its pressure relieving properties. The Layla mattress scored 9/10 for pressure relief, and the Layla topper is made of the same materials. In other words, lying on this topper feels like your body is getting a cozy hug without sinking too far into the mattress surface.
Layla’s Mattress Topper also reduces the amount of motion transfer you experience. Like the Layla mattress, it absorbs energy from movement on the mattress surface. Our testers hardly noticed when one person got up off of the bed. If you have a bouncy innerspring mattress, this will reduce disruptions from sleeping with a partner or pet.
Who Is It Best For?
Give the Layla Mattress Topper a chance if you…
- Want a medium-firm feel and own a firm mattress
- Want to make a medium mattress a bit softer
- Like the feel of memory foam
- Have an active lifestyle or joint pain
- Tend to sleep hot, but prefer the benefits of memory foam
- Are willing to pay a little more for a mattress topper
Consider a different mattress topper if you…
- Like a firm mattress feel
- Are shopping for a budget mattress topper
- Dislike the feel of memory foam
- Own an older mattress that is sagging (In this case, it’s time to get a new mattress; no mattress topper works effectively on a sagging surface.)
Sizes and Prices
|Twin||38″ x 75″ x 2″||$149|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 2″||$179|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 2″||$229|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 2″||$249|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 2″||$349|
|Cal King||72″ x 84″ x 2″||$349|
Shipping and Returns
You get free shipping for Layla’s mattress topper in the lower 48 states. A $75 shipping fee is added to orders in Alaska or Hawaii. It takes between 3-7 days for your topper to be delivered. That time frame includes manufacturing.
During the first 120 nights after delivery, you can request a full refund on toppers that are still in good condition. You only need to provide proof that you’ve donated the topper to charity. The only expense that isn’t refunded is shipping fees to Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada.
Trial and Warranty
Sleep products other than mattresses don’t usually have a sleep trial, but Layla offers a 120-night money back guarantee on their mattress topper. If you decide Layla’s topper isn’t a good fit, email email@example.com. Include your order number and the reason why you’re returning the topper.
Layla will ask you to donate the topper to charity. Side note: the topper must be in good enough condition to donate (ie: no cracks, rips, burns, liquid stains, etc.). Send Layla’s support team a photo of your donation receipt, and they’ll refund all your money back.
Layla gives you a 5-year warranty on their topper. It covers cracks or splits in the foam and defects in the cover. The warranty only applies to the original owner, and you must have bought the topper directly from Layla or one of their authorized dealers.
- “The mattress topper feels luxurious and helps with my back pain, side pain, and pressure points. I used to get up with neck aches but now I don’t. I’m not saying it will help everyone else but it’s worth a shot to try.” – Travis C.
- “Will upgrade any mattress! Bought a cheap mattress to save money and it was not the most comfortable to sleep on. I got the topper as an alternative to buying a new mattress and it made a huge difference! Highly recommend it.” – James P.
- “Purchased the Layla queen mattress a couple months back. Used the ‘soft’ side, but it was still a bit firm for our preference….the topper added just the right amount of soft to make this mattress a dream to sleep on.” – Julie P.
Pros and Cons
|Feel: Adds extra cushion for pressure points||Price: Not a budget item|
|Copper: Copper infusion reduces inflammation and body heat while creating an antimicrobial barrier||Firmness: May be too soft for back or stomach sleepers who need a firm feel|
|Cooling: Gel beads regulate the temperature in the memory foam|
There is a lot to recommend the Layla mattress topper, especially if you like the feel of memory foam. While it may feel too warm or soft for some, most consumers experienced a cooler night’s sleep, less morning aches, and better quality sleep.
Plus, it has a 120-night money back guarantee. If you don’t like it, you get all your money back. If you love it, you’ll have spared the expense of a new mattress.
Layla Mattress Coupons
Don’t pay full price for your next Layla mattress! Save up to $200 this season. We’ve got the scoop on current Layla mattress discounts, plus all you need to know about Layla sleep products.
Layla vs. Purple Mattress Comparison
The Layla mattress and Purple mattress are unique in their own right. We show you how they compare by firmness, feel, price, materials, and ratings.
Mattress Firmness Guide
Learn what mattress firmness really means and how to determine which firmness is best for you.