Layla Kapok Pillow Review
Thinking about trying Layla’s Kapok memory foam pillow? Keep reading for our thoughts on pillow construction, feel, buyer experience, and more.
Jul 8th, 2022 •
We’re excited to jump into this Layla Kapok Pillow review since we’ve had the chance to conduct mattress reviews for several different Layla mattress models. Those didn’t disappoint, and we’re confident the Layla Pillow won’t either. Unlike their online mattress models, the Kapok Pillow isn’t flippable, but it’s equally comfy, which is what we’ll talk about next.
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.5/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.8/10|
|✔️120-Night Sleep Trial|
Get Up to $200 off Select Mattresses + 2 FREE Pillows
Overview: The Layla Kapok Pillow comes wrapped in Layla’s recognizable grey and white hexagon fabric and filled with a shredded memory foam blend. With a near-perfect score in our support evaluation, it’s a pillow that will allow your neck and head to rest after a long day of work.
In this accessory review, we’ll discuss some of its highlights, share how it performed in our mattress lab, and provide purchasing details to help you during your shopping journey.
Who is the Layla Kapok Pillow Best For?
|Layla Kapok Pillow is best for:||Layla Kapok Pillow may not be best for:|
How We Scored the Layla Kapok Pillow
When reviewing pillows, we rate each factor on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being exceeds expectations and 1 being has significant room for improvement. To reach our final score, we calculate a weighted average from all 5 categories. Read more about our review process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Layla Kapok Pillow: 8.8/10⭐
Layla Kapok Pillow Performance Highlights
- Support: Earning a near-perfect score for support, this pillow does a great job of contouring to your head and keeping it level at night.
- Cooling: Wrapped in a copper-infused cover, it’s a cooling pillow that won’t need to be flipped frequently.
- Compatible: Since the fill is adjustable, it works well with all sleeping positions and molds to your body well.
- Off-Gassing: When unpacking this pillow we noticed a slight off-gassing smell, but this should go away after a couple of days.
- Sizing: The Layla Kapok Pillow isn’t offered in a standard size and only comes in a king or queen size.
The Layla Kapok Pillow Construction
My first impression of the Layla Kapok Pillow is that it looks super plush and cloud-like. The cover has a white and grey checkered pattern, similar to the Layla mattress and mattress topper. It also arrives with extra fill, giving it a super puffy structure.
The cover fabric is a polyester/viscose blend (66% polyester, 30% viscose, 4% poly/lycra). Polyester is breathable, durable, and soft to the touch. Viscose adds even more softness, and lycra enables the pillowcase to stretch with your head and neck.
Arguably the most noteworthy feature of the pillow is CuTec® copper fibers woven into the cover fabric. CuTec is often used in performance fabrics that are meant to withstand lots of use. The copper infusion helps to reduce odors, eliminate dead skin cells, and regulate the temperature of the fabric. When you sleep on CuTec fibers, your body heat is naturally pulled away from your face and neck, so you sweat less and are also less likely to be disrupted by excess heat during the night.
The cover construction doesn’t have a gusset, which was a bummer for me, but not a deal breaker. Even without a gusset, the pillow is easy to mold into an even surface. Finally, a zipper on the side of the cover opens up access to the fill that makes up the bulk of the pillow.
Layla’s pillow fill incorporates Kapok fibers. This is the first pillow I’ve encountered with Kapok fibers, and I was really curious to see how they compare to microfiber and other down alternatives. In video reviews of the material, it’s clear that it’s very soft and lightweight. It feels plush and airy, like a down pillow without the extra cost and animal welfare concerns.
For reference, Kapok fibers come from the seed pods of Kapok trees. Layla harvests their Kapok from sustainable forests in Indonesia.
In addition to the Kapok fibers, the pillow is stuffed with premium, open cell shredded foam. Layla uses Certipur-US certified memory foam, so you can rest a little easier knowing that you’re not breathing in toxic chemical emissions.
What We Love
While there is lots to appreciate about this pillow, here are a few of our favorite characteristics:
- Adjustable: The Kapok Pillow is overstuffed when it’s delivered to you. You can adjust the shape and loft level of the pillow by removing the Kapok and memory foam fill via the zipper on the side of the pillow cover. This feature allows you to customize the feel of the pillow until it exactly suits your sleep position and comfort preference.
- Copper Infusion: I don’t want to get too scientific, but it’s important to point out that copper is a positive ion, meaning it’s a good heat conductor. That’s good news if you’re a hot sleeper, because copper absorbs heat from the pillow surface. Plus, it’s antimicrobial, and some people say it helps reduce pain and inflammation.
- Moldable: The memory foam fill is able to be molded to conform to your sleeping position. Before you lie down, knead and manipulate the fill until the pillow feels soft and supportive. The fill will stay put while you sleep, keeping your neck supported and spine aligned.
In this next section, we’ll go over the product specs for the Layla Kapok Pillow, as well as the trial period, warranty, and return policy.
Layla Kapok Pillow Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Queen||18″ x 28″||3.5 lbs||$109|
|King||18″ x 34″||4.5 lbs||$129|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Click below to find the best price for the Layla Kapok Pillow
|Delivery||Free shipping, arrives within 1-3 business days|
|Trial Period||120-night sleep trial|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Shipping and Returns
When you order a Layla Pillow in one of the 48 contiguous states, you get free shipping. There is an extra fee to deliveries in Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada.
We doubt you’ll want to return this pillow, but if you do, you have to wait 2 weeks from your delivery date. That ensures that you experience the bare minimum of time your body needs to adjust to a new sleeping surface.
To initiate a return, email your order number and why you want to return your pillow to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your return is processed, Layla will send you a full refund. There are no restocking fees or return shipping fees (although shipping costs to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada aren’t refunded).
Note: If you buy your Layla pillow from Amazon, it will be subject to Amazon’s return policy.
Trial Period and Warranty
You have a 120-night sleep trial with your Layla Pillow. If it’s not the best memory foam pillow for you, Layla promises a full money back guarantee.
Layla pillows are covered by a 5-year warranty. They cover defects of the materials and workmanship, and specifically call out the following defects: unraveled seams, permanent changes in the shape of the pillow, and fading colors on the Layla pillow cover.
Keep in mind that the defects have to result from normal use (not abuse or misuse). Also, the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser. Make sure to hold onto your original receipt of purchase, since that will be important when initiating a warranty claim.
- “This is truly the best pillow ever. In my family we have tried a lot (at least 20-25) in the last couple of years. I have always had to use 2 pillows, due to sleeping on my side and respiratory issues, but not anymore. It’s soft and supportive, and it does not go flat when you lay on it. All that mixed with the bonus that it is adjustable. The only thing that I would change is having an inner lining so you can wash the outside cover easily.” – Julie F.
- “I was pleasantly surprised to find out how AWESOME the Layla Kapok Pillow was. It retains its shape nicely, and in the morning I can give it a few Chuck Norris karate chops and it’s back to its puffy self. I would highly recommend this for side and back sleepers.” – Daniel M.
- “Perfect for side or back sleepers. Keeps my head and neck aligned, which is what I needed after experiencing pinched nerve pain in my neck and shoulders. I also don’t get overheated.” – Charley J.
Layla Kapok Pillow FAQ
Is there anything I need to do to get my new pillow ready to use?
The Layla Kapok Pillow is compressed when it’s getting ready to be shipped, and the fill can get clumped during the packing process. They recommend that you knead and fluff the pillow after unpacking it to evenly distribute the fill. This is also the time to test your new pillow for comfort and adjust the fill level to your desired loft.
How do I clean my Layla Kapok Pillow?
You can remove the pillow cover and wash it separately or with the fill; however, Layla recommends spot cleaning the cover instead, since damage from a washing machine or dryer can void your warranty. If you do opt to machine wash the pillow, use the delicate cycle, mild detergent, and tumble dry on low heat. It may take a few rounds in the dryer for the foam to be completely dry. Make sure the whole pillow is completely dry before using it again.
What is CertiPUR-US certified memory foam?
Memory foam with a CertiPUR-US certification has passed tests that prove it is manufactured without flame retardants, ozone depleters, heavy metals (such as mercury and lead), formaldehyde, and phthalates. It also has to have low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions.
What do you think? Over at Mattress Advisor we’re a fan of the Layla Kapok Pillow. It’s adjustable, comfy, cooling, and overall a high-quality pillow. It combines the support and contouring comfort of memory foam with the airy, cloudlike feel of Kapok fiber. Plus, the cover is made with breathable, cooling copper fibers.
As a side and stomach sleeper, I would definitely use this pillow. I like the ability to shape a pillow to my sleeping position. Regardless of your body type or how you sleep, you can find a fill level that works for you.
The only hurdle for potential Layla Kapok Pillow customers is the cost. It’s significantly more expensive than your average off-the-shelf pillow, but you also get what you pay for in quality and durability. Plus, Layla sometimes releases coupon codes and discounts for their sleep products.
Overall, the quality of the pillow—plus the 120-night sleep trial, financing options, and free returns—begs the question: why wouldn’t you try this high-quality, customizable pillow?
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Pillows
Learn how cooling pillows, designed to refresh and release heat, can improve your sleeping experience.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Layla Mattress Topper Review
Considering the Layla Mattress Topper? It uses the same copper-infused foam as the Layla Mattress, and can soften your sleeping surface by 15-20%.
Layla Mattress Coupons
Don’t pay full price for your next Layla mattress! Save up to $200 this season. We’ve got the scoop on current Layla mattress discounts, plus all you need to know about Layla sleep products.