Amerisleep AS1 Mattress Review
Amerisleep AS1 Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: June 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.6/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.2/10|
|✔️Type: Memory foam mattress|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
$450 off Mattresses
Overview: The Amerisleep AS1 Mattress is the firmest of the five Amerisleep beds, making it the most popular for back and stomach sleepers who need extra support from their bed. Its firm feel balances contouring and support, and its open-cell structure helps to minimize heat retention, keeping you cool.
Who Is the Amerisleep AS1 Mattress Best for?
Amerisleep AS1 is best for:
|Amerisleep AS1 may not be best for:|
If you like the feel of memory foam but are looking for something firmer, the Amerisleep AS1 mattress is a great option at a reasonable price. It has all the comfort of a memory foam bed without sacrificing support, making it great for stomach and back sleepers who typically prefer a supportive mattress.
Keep reading our in-depth Amerisleep AS1 mattress review to learn more about this bed and decide if it’s a good match for you.
The Best Parts:
- The Amerisleep AS1 model is Amerisleep’s firmest mattress and is most popular with back sleepers and stomach sleepers who prefer extra support.
- The AS1 also offers great cooling properties—the top layer is designed to help wick heat away from your body and the cover contains special fibers, which are known to wick moisture and create a cool surface.
- Our sleep testers were impressed by the sturdiness of the Amerisleep’s edges. If you share the bed and you find yourself sleeping along the mattress perimeter, the Amerisleep AS1 is a great choice for feeling comfy and stable.
We brought the Amerisleep AS1 mattress into our mattress lab to run through our proprietary testing methods. We unboxed it, laid on it, and scored it on multiple test factors. Check out our score breakdown for the AS1.
Mattress Advisor Test
|Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the AS1 Mattress: 8.2/10⭐
The Best/Worst Things
- Edge Support: Earning a 9.25/10 for edge support, this mattress offers some of the best edge support of any foam mattress that we’ve tested. This means you can comfortably sleep along the mattress perimeter without fear of falling off.
- Spine Alignment: Our sleep testers had nearly perfect spine alignment when lying on the AS1. Healthy spine alignment helps to relieve neck and back pain.
- Cooling: One common complaint with memory foam beds is that they tend to sleep hot. Thanks to a Refresh Cooling Cover and breathable Bio-Pur foam, the Amerisleep AS1 sleeps cool for an all-foam mattress.
- Durable: Made with high-quality materials, the Amerisleep is incredibly durable and likely to last for 10+ years. With a generous 20-year warranty, Amerisleep stands behind the quality and longevity of its mattresses.
- Very Firm: The Amerisleep is very firm for a memory foam bed. Without a plush comfort layer, we don’t recommend the Amerisleep for side sleepers.
- Body Size Compatability: The Amerisleep AS1 is only 10” thick with a 2” comfort layer. This thin profile and minimal top layer doesn’t offer the support or cushion needed by sleepers who weigh more than 230 lbs.
If you have a sleeping partner (even if it’s a pet), then pull your sleeping masks up and pay attention for this test! We run two tests to evaluate how well a mattress can isolate motion across the bed. If you’re tired of being woken up by your sleeping partner or furry friend tossing and turning in their sleep, this should be a key factor in your decision.
After having one test subject lie on the mattress blindfolded while the other enters the bed, rolls around, and exits the bed, we also perform a wine test! This is one of the best visual ways to see how well a mattress absorbs motion.
Take a look at our video below. Although the wine was pretty shaky, the glass itself stayed still. So we gave it a 7 out of 10 for this test.
Edge support is either something that makes a huge difference in your sleep quality or barely influences it at all—it all depends on your sleeping habits. If you’re someone who sleeps alone and stays towards the center of your bed, how firm or flimsy the edges are is unlikely to influence your sleep. But if you share your bed with a partner, child, or furry family member and spread out as much as possible, sleeping along the edge of the mattress, you need a bed with reliable edges.
To evaluate Amerisleep’s edge support, we conducted 2 tests. In the first, we had our sleep testers sit on the edge and put on a pair of sneakers to see how sturdy the edges felt. In the second, our sleep testers laid along the edges of the bed in every sleep position to evaluate how comfortable and supported they were. Both of our sleep testers felt supported and comfortable during both tests, earning the AS1 a 9.25/10 for edge support.
No one wants to wake up with aches and pains. That’s why we measure how well a mattress can relieve pressure on your body. In an ideal state, your mattress will evenly distribute your body weight so you don’t have pressure build ups in the hips, shoulders, or knees.
How can we tell if this will happen? We use a pressure mapping film that measures areas of high and low pressure on the body. Warm colors = high pressure. Cool colors = low pressure and a happy night’s sleep. Take a look at our results for the AS1 mattress below.
We saw a lot of warm colors and deep red tones in RJ’s shoulders and hips. So we gave him a 6 for pressure relief. Asha’s shoulders, hips, and midsection stayed relatively pressure free so we gave her a 7.5. So for a total pressure relief score, the Amerisleep AS1 received a 6.75 out of 10—not the best score for those who sleep on their sides. Side sleepers should look for a mattress that offers exceptional pressure relief, cushioning their pressure points.
Just as proper posture is important during the day, so is healthy spine alignment when you sleep. If you’ve ever woken up with new back pain in the morning, chances are your mattress wasn’t supporting the correct spine alignment. For anyone who struggles with neck pain or lower back pain, this test is for you.
We had our sleep testers lay on the Amerisleep AS1 and examined their spines to be sure the mattress can support neutral spine alignment. What we’re looking for here is a straight line from the base of the spine to the top of the neck. Take a look below to see how the Amerisleep performed.
Both RJ and Asha’s spines were pretty straight with a slight upwards curve towards the base of the neck, so the AS1 received an 8.75 out of 10 for this test. With such a high score, sleepers with back pain may find the relief that they’re looking for—especially back and stomach sleepers.
The AS1 is Amerisleeps’s firmest mattress. After trying it out at the Mattress Advisor lab, we rated it 8.5-9/10 for its firmness level, making it one of the firmest memory foam mattresses that we’ve ever tested. There is a slight cushiony feel when you lie on it, making it an excellent choice for those who like firm beds but desire a touch of the memory foam feel.
Sleep Position Compatibility
As a firm mattress, the Amerisleep AS1 is best for sleepers who spend most of their time sleeping on their back or stomach. The top foam layer does offer some give, but it’s not the medium-soft mattress feel that you might expect from a memory foam bed. As such, the AS1 is not the best mattress for side sleepers or those who like a plush memory foam feel.
Some combination sleepers will enjoy the Amerisleep AS1, but only those who switch between stomach and back sleeping. The mattress surface is somewhat responsive, so you can easily switch from one position to the next.
Does It Sleep Cool?
The Amerisleep AS1 is designed to sleep cool for an all-foam mattress. Its breathable Refresh Cooling Cover has special fibers that help to neutralize excess body heat. The top layer of foam has an open-cell structure that facilitates airflow, dissipating built-up heat to keep the sleeping surface cool.
However, the AS1 is not as cool as the average innerspring mattress or cooler hybrid mattresses. If you find most beds too warm, you might be better suited by one of the beds that made our list of best cooling mattresses for hot sleepers.
Does It Support Heavier People?
At only 10” thick with a minimal 2” comfort layer, the Amerisleep AS1 does not offer the extra support required by those who weigh more than 230 pounds. Lightweight sleepers, too, may not find what they need with the AS1. It’s incredibly firm, and unless you’re a lightweight person who loves an extra-firm bed, this mattress is going to feel too firm. As such, we recommend the Amerisleep mattress primarily to those who weigh between 130 and 230 lbs.
Best Bed Frames for the AS1
The AS1 is compatible with most solid or slatted foundations, just be sure that the slats are no more than 3” apart. You can place the AS1 on a platform bed, bunkie board, slatted foundation, adjustable base, or even on the floor. However, Amerisleep cautions against using a box spring with the AS1 as the springs don’t offer the best support for memory foam mattresses.
The Amerisleep AS1 is one of Amerisleeps’s all-foam mattress models. It has just 2 layers of foam that measure 10” deep.
- Refresh Cooling Cover: Designed to convert your body heat into infrared, promoting a cool, dry night’s sleep.
- Bio-Pur foam comfort layer: Breathable cooling layer with open-cell structure that’s crafted from eco-friendly plant-based materials.
- Bio-Core foam support layer: A high-density support foam base layer adds durability, promotes motion isolation, and boosts edge support.
Amerisleep AS1 Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 74” x 10”||$949|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$999|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$1,149|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$1,199|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,499|
|California King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,499|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 10”||
*Prices do not reflect exclusive Mattress Advisor offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Amerisleep AS1 mattress.
Unboxing the Amerisleep AS1
The Amerisleep AS1 mattress took us just under a minute and a half to set up. It was light and easy to maneuver, but it didn’t take its full shape immediately after unboxing—something that’s common with bed-in-a-box mattresses. Check out the video below to watch!
There was a slight off-gassing odor, but it faded within a few hours. You should be able to sleep on your new mattresses within 1-2 days from unboxing it.
Are you ready to buy a new Amerisleep mattress? Let’s take a look at what it’s like to buy a bed from Amerisleep.
|Delivery||Free shipping; arrives in 7-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
Shipping and Delivery
Amerisleep will ship your new mattress for free anywhere within the contiguous USA. The mattress ships out in 2-5 business days and takes around 1-5 business days for shipment. You can expect to receive your mattress compressed in a box on your doorstep within 2 weeks from the day you placed your order.
Amerisleep does not offer expedited shipping or White Glove Delivery.
The Sleep Trial
Amerisleep wants to make sure that its customers are happy with their new mattress. Every Amerisleep mattress comes with a 100-night trial period that starts from the day you receive your mattress in the mail.
Amerisleep asks that you try out your mattress for at least 30 nights before initiating a return. It’s not unusual for it to take a few weeks to adjust to a new mattress. Memory foam needs time and pressure to break in, and the human body needs to adjust to a new sleeping surface.
After the first 30 days, simply contact Amerisleep’s friendly customer service team to return your mattress. You’ll speak with someone from their Arizona office who will find a local charity to come and pick up your bed. Once your bed’s been picked up, you’ll receive a full refund.
Amerisleep offers a generous 20-year warranty. Not only is it longer than the average warranty, but it also covers more. If your mattress develops an indentation of greater than ¾”, the warranty has you covered. It also covers other defects in materials or workmanship.
Filing a claim is simple. Contact Amerisleep’s customer service team and they’ll give you step-by-step instructions.
All Things Customer Service
Amerisleep’s customer service team is based in the USA, so you can talk to someone local when you have a question. They’re open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. MST and closed on the weekends.
You can use the live chat feature at Amerisleep.com, call them at 1-800-500-4233, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ve only had good experiences with Amerisleep’s customer service team. By using their live chat feature, all of our questions were answered quickly.
The Return Policy
Returning a mattress with Amerisleep is simple. All you need to do is contact their customer service team within 100 days of when you receive your mattress. They will organize for a local charity to come and pick up your mattress so it goes to someone who needs it. After the mattress is picked up by the charity, you’ll receive a full refund.
Read More: Amerisleep Return Policy
- “I found Amerisleep online and decided to try it. It is one of the best beds I have ever owned! I have purchased several very expensive beds in my lifetime. I am so impressed with the price and how comfortable it is. My wife and I like a pretty firm bed. The A1 was perfect for us. I will be getting one for my guest bedroom as well.” – Tim
- “Loved the AS1 for the first few nights, my husband not so much. But I called customer support and they are sending us a mattress topper so it would resemble the AS2. Great customer service, great products would recommend to everyone!!!!” – Jess
- “This is a great firm mattress. Know that you want a very firm mattress before buying. If you do paperwork or live on your bed then this mattress provides a nice and very comfortable level / sturdy surface. There isn’t a lot of give in the mattress… so at night when you sleep the firmness is more apparent than when just sitting on the bed. I think the mattress is very true to how the website describes it.” – KP
Reasons to Buy or Not Buy the AS1
The Amerisleep AS1 mattress is an excellent choice for those who like firm beds. Its memory foam comfort layer provides just the right amount of cushion for back and stomach sleepers who desire the ultimate support without sacrificing comfort.
When we put this mattress to the test, we were impressed by its sturdy edges and cool sleeping surface. It is also quite cool for an all-foam mattress, although those who sleep extra hot may be better served by a hybrid or innerspring bed like the Layla Hybrid.
While the AS1 is a high-quality bed with lots of outstanding features, it’s not great for everyone. Side sleepers need something a bit softer, while heavyweight sleepers will do better with more support and a thicker comfort layer. Lightweight sleepers are also likely to find the mattress too firm unless they like extra-firm beds. For side sleepers and those who weigh more or less than average, we recommend the Casper Mattress.
See How AS1 Compares
The Amerisleep AS1 mattress is one of the firmest memory foam beds on the market. While you can feel a slight contouring give along the surface, it doesn’t offer the same deep hugging feel like most other all-foam beds. Its edges are a bit more supportive and it keeps the spine aligned better than most, but it doesn’t cushion pressure points to the extent that you might expect from a memory foam mattress.
The AS1 is the entry-level Amerisleep mattress. It’s the firmest, thinnest, and least expensive of the Amerisleep models. Here’s how it compares to Amerisleep’s 4 other mattresses.
- Amerisleep AS2: The AS2 is a medium-firm mattress that comes in either an all-foam or hybrid option. It’s 2” thicker and slightly softer than the AS1, making it better for heavier sleepers, lighter sleepers, and those who need a touch more pressure relief.
- Amerisleep AS3: The AS3 is a medium bed that comes in an all-foam or hybrid option. It’s 2” thicker and much softer than the AS1. It’s better suited for lightweight sleepers, side sleepers, and combination sleepers than the AS1.
- Amerisleep AS4: The AS4 is a medium-soft mattress that also comes in only a memory foam option. Its luxurious softness and 2” greater thickness accommodate lightweight and side sleepers, unlike the firm AS1.
- Amerisleep AS5: The AS5 is an ultra-soft bed ideal for those who need the utmost in pressure relief. Both the all-foam and hybrid options work for a completely different type of sleeper than the firm AS1. If you find most beds too firm, go with the AS5. If you find most too soft, the AS1 is best.
Other Products Sold by Amerisleep
AS1 Mattress FAQs
Can I clean my Amerisleep mattress?
You can only spot clean the Amerisleep AS1 mattress. To protect your new bed from spills or other damage, we recommend using a waterproof mattress cover.
Do I need to flip or rotate the AS1 mattress?
No, you do not. Amerisleep crafts their mattresses from ultra-durable foams, so there’s no need to rotate or flip them.
Can I try the Amerisleep mattress at a store?
You can, so long as you live near one of Amerisleep’s retail locations. If you don’t, remember that you can try it out risk free in the comfort of your home.
Amerisleep Mattress Reviews
Learn about the Amerisleep brand and compare their 5 memory foam mattresses. See our reviews and ratings for price, quality, and more.
Amerisleep AS2 Mattress Review
See how the Amerisleep AS2 mattress scored in our testing process to see how it performs.
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review
See our Amerisleep AS3 mattress review based on in-depth testing and feedback to help you determine if this is the right mattress for you.