Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.4/10|
|✔️Type: Memory foam mattress|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
$450 off Mattresses
Quick Overview: We think the Amerisleep AS3 is an excellent choice for most sleepers looking for the traditional memory foam hugging feeling. With excellent edge support and motion isolation, it is also a good fit for those who share the bed with their partner, kids, or pets.
Who Is the Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Best for?
Amerisleep AS3 is best for:
|Amerisleep AS3 may not be best for:|
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress is the most popular model Amerisleep offers out of its collection of five memory foam mattresses. This model is so popular because it’s built to suit all sleepers! It’s right in the middle of the firmness scale and offers great motion isolation, making it a close runner-up for our top mattress for couples list.
Read our in-depth Amerisleep AS3 mattress review to dig into all the details about what makes this mattress great and find out if it’s right for you.
What Sets it Apart:
- The AS3 is Amerisleep’s most popular mattress model. Hitting the sweet spot of mattress firmness (not too firm, but not too soft), it makes a great sleeping surface for every sleeping position, but especially for back and side sleepers.
- Its transition layer is made from zoned support foam, allowing the mattress to support and cushion all of the right places.
- The Refresh Cover contains Bio-Pur, a plant-based material known for promoting airflow and converting body heat to a cooling surface.
Get a visual insight into our testing process in this video review of the Amerisleep AS3. Want to know how we score in the lab? Watch and find out.
Now that you’ve gotten an overview of the Amerisleep AS3, let’s take a look at how this bed performed during our thorough 14-point in-house testing.
You can learn more about our review process.
Mattress Advisor Test
|Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the AS3 Mattress: 8.4/10⭐
Is Amerisleep AS3 a Good Mattress?
- Great for Couples: Couples need a mattress that allows them to move around without disturbing one another and one with edges sturdy enough to spread out. The Amerisleep AS3 scored highly in both our motion transfer and edge support tests, making it an excellent mattress for those who share the bed.
- Sleeps Cool: Thanks to the cooling Refresh Cover and the open-cell structure of the top layer of foam, the AS3 sleeps cool for a memory foam mattress.
- Spine Alignment: The AS3 earned an 8.25/10 for spine alignment, demonstrating its ability to support healthy posture while you sleep.
- Trial Period: There’s zero risk of trying out the Amerisleep AS3 thanks to free shipping and their 100-night sleep trial, during which you can return your new mattress for a full refund.
- Pressure Relief: For a medium firmness memory foam mattress, the AS3 doesn’t provide the level of pressure relief that you might expect—especially if you’re a lightweight side sleeper.
- Sink: The all-foam Amerisleep AS3 closely hugs the body, delivering a feel that’s closer to sleeping “on” than “in” the mattress surface. While some sleepers love this traditional foam feel, others may feel like they sink in too far.
A lot of couples sleep poorly together because their movements wake the other person. Whether you have different sleeping hours or one of you moves around a bunch at night, nothing is more frustrating than being woken up time and again. That’s why couples who share a bed should look for a mattress that absorbs motion, rather than spreading it across the mattress surface.
To test a mattress’s ability to dampen motion, we conduct two tests. In the first test, we take a glass of red wine and balance it on one side of the bed. On the other side, one of our sleep testers lies down and switches positions to test how much the wine moves. When we did this on the Amerisleep AS3, the red wine barely wiggled!
For the second test, our two sleep testers lie down next to one another. They take turns moving around, and the other rates how well the mattress did at isolating motion. Our testers could feel one another moving, but just barely. When combined, the AS3 scored an 8.75/10 for motion isolation, which is an excellent attribute for those who share the bed.
Most of us toss and turn a bit during the night. When you’re sleeping on a responsive mattress, it quickly adjusts to your movements, which makes changing positions easy.
We tested the AS3’s responsiveness by having our sleep testers switch between back, side, and stomach sleeping. They rated the mattress on a scale from 1-10 on how quickly they got comfortable in the new position. This mattress scored a 7/10 for responsiveness, meaning you may notice it takes a short while to get comfy when you move around.
With a generous 3” comfort layer of plush, contouring memory foam and a 2” transition layer, the AS3 boasts a traditional memory foam hugging feel. While this type of foam is luxurious, it isn’t the most responsive. For those who toss and turn a lot at night, one of our picks for the best hybrid mattress of 2023 or best innerspring mattress of 2023 may be a better choice.
Have you ever woken up with neck pain or lower back pain that you didn’t have the evening prior? If so, it’s a sign that your mattress wasn’t supporting healthy spine alignment. To test a mattress’s ability to support a healthy spine, we have our testers lie on their sides and draw a line from the base to the tip of their spines. A straight line means proper spine alignment and fewer aches and pains.
When we assessed our sleep testers’ spines, they each had near perfect spine alignment. There was a slight curve at the top of the spine for our lightweight sleep tester, but nothing that concerned us. The AS3 earned an impressive 8.25/10 for spine alignment.
The Amerisleep AS3 has a medium feel, rating a 6 on the 1-10 firmness scale. The top layer is relatively plush, allowing the body to sink in. The transition foam and support layer balance give a combination of cushioning and support that works well for most sleepers.
How It Fits Each Sleep Position
The balanced feel of plush memory foam and supportive polyfoam make the AS3 an excellent mattress for side sleepers.
With a medium firmness level and a mixture of cushiony comfort and reliable support, the AS3 is a great fit as a mattress for back sleepers of all body shapes and sizes.
The plush memory foam layer can allow the hips to dip too low, causing strain on the lower back. However, the firmness level is sufficient to be a good mattress for stomach sleepers of most body types to maintain acceptable spine alignment; most stomach sleepers need a medium-firm to firm mattress.
Combination sleepers tend to toss and turn more than your average sleeper. Because of this, combination sleepers need a mattress that rapidly adapts to their movements. The AS3 earned a 7/10 in our test for responsiveness, so it may take a little bit to become comfy in a new position. However, the AS3 is great for both side and back sleepers, so if you’re a side and back combination sleeper who doesn’t wake up when you move around, the AS3 is a good option.
Analyzing the Cooling Factors
The AS3 does a good job at regulating temperature. When we evaluated the AS3 all-foam mattress at the Mattress Advisor lab, we were impressed at how cool it was for a memory foam mattress. The plush memory foam layer is designed to support airflow, while the Refresh Cover transforms body heat into infrared energy, keeping the sleeper cool.
For those who sleep extra-hot, we typically recommend going with a hybrid or innerspring mattress. There is no material cooler than innerspring coils as they allow ample airflow and don’t store body heat. Check out the coolest mattresses that we’ve tested in the Mattress Advisor lab.
Does It Support Your Weight?
The Amerisleep AS3 supports every body size, although heavier sleepers may feel like they sink in a bit too much.
Keep in mind that the firmness level of a mattress changes based on how much you weigh. While the AS3 is a medium firmness mattress, it will feel medium soft to those who weigh more than 230 lbs and medium-firm for those who weigh less than 130 lbs.
If you weigh more than 230 lbs, only go with the AS3 if you like the feel of being enveloped in the mattress surface.
Do You Need a Specific Foundation?
Amerisleep recommends a strong, solid base for use with their mattresses. An adjustable base, bunkie board, platform bed, or slatted base with slats 3” or less apart are the best options. You can place your bed directly on the floor, just be aware that there are more allergens there and that moisture could build up underneath the bed. For those who choose the minimalist floor route, just be sure to allow the underneath of your mattress to air out from time to time.
Amerisleep does not recommend using a box spring with any of their mattresses. The springy support may cause the memory foam to wear out more quickly than when used atop a solid surface.
Deep Dive Inside AS3
The Amerisleep AS3 is a 3-layer memory foam mattress. Let’s take a look at what’s inside.
- Refresh Cover: Made with Bio-Pur, a plant-based material that keeps you cool at night, the mattress’ cover draws heat away from your body for a cool-to-the-touch feel.
- Bio-Pur Comfort Layer: A plush memory foam that closely contours the body, hugging its curves. Thanks to an open-cell structure, this top layer doesn’t trap excess body heat.
- Affinity with HIVE Transition Layer: The Affinity with HIVE layer contributes zoned support, adding extra support along the lumbar region and cushion at the shoulders.
- Bio-Core Base Layer: A high-density foam that contributes stability and enhances durability.
AS3 Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 74” x 12”||$1,149|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,199|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1,349|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,699|
|California King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,699|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 12”||
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the AS3 mattress.
The Amerisleep AS3 is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it’s delivered compressed in a box much smaller than the mattress itself. You must unbox the mattress and allow it to expand before it’s ready to be slept on.
We found the Amerisleep AS3 to be relatively easy to unbox, taking two of us just under two minutes to set up. There was a minimal off-gassing odor, which is typical of memory foam beds. The scent faded within just a few hours, and it reached its full size in a similar timeframe. However, some reviewers have noted that it took longer for their mattresses to reach full size, so it might be a night or two before you want to sleep on your new mattress.
Now that you know what to expect from the Amerisleep mattress, let’s dive into what it’s like to buy a new bed from Amerisleep.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a box; delivered in 7-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
The Delivery Process
Amerisleep ships for free within the 48 contiguous United States. It will take between 7 and 10 business days for your new mattress to arrive at your doorstep, compressed in a box. Amerisleep only offers standard shipping, so there is no option for White Glove Delivery or expedited shipping.
Learn About the Sleep Trial
Every Amerisleep mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial that starts the day you receive your new mattress in the mail, the industry-standard amongst online mattress brands.
You must have had your new bed for 30 nights before initiating a return. This 30-day waiting period is common and is based on the fact that it takes time for the human body to adjust to a new bed, and it takes around 30 days for the memory foam to break in and reach its final comfort level.
If you decide the Amerisleep AS3 isn’t the bed for you after 30 days and before 100, contact their USA-based customer service team to initiate a return. Amerisleep will organize for a local charity to come and pick up the mattress, after which you’ll receive a full refund.
Decoding the Warranty
Amerisleep’s warranty is 20 years and covers defects in materials or workmanship. Compared to the industry-standard 10-year warranty, Amerisleep’s warranty is quite generous. Even its coverage is more generous as they cover indentations greater than 0.75” while most other companies only cover indentations after they surpass 1”.
Customer Service Info
Amerisleep’s Arizona-based customer service team is available on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. MST. Here’s how you can contact them.
- Live chat at Amerisleep.com
- Phone: 1-800-500-4233
- Email at email@example.com
We’ve contacted Amerisleep using their online chat feature, where we received quick and helpful service.
Here’s what customers have to say about their experiences with Amerisleep customer service:
- “The customer service has been superb, could not ask for better service. Thank you sooo much!” – Alisia
- “We purchased the AS3 and after almost 2.5 years we found it began to break down. Not realizing the warranty coverage, I wrote a review based on the original mattress and our discomfort. To my surprise, I was directly contacted by a wonderful customer service representative who suggested we assess the mattress based on the warranty. After providing photos of our mattress and the sagging, we were provided information within 24 hours that we qualified under the warranty, and a new mattress would be shipped to us and the old picked up — all charges covered under the warranty. I am beyond impressed by the service and can’t wait to finally get the perfect night’s sleep when the new mattress arrives!” – Reg
Breaking Down the Return Policy
Returning a mattress through Amerisleep is simple. Amerisleep offers a full refund if you return your mattress during their 100-night trial period. They do ask that you try the mattress for 30 nights before initiating a return.
Once you’ve contacted Amerisleep, they’ll find a local charity to come and pick up the mattress from your doorstep. You don’t need to rebox it, but simply carry it to your door for pick up. Once the mattress has been donated to charity, you’ll receive a full refund.
Reasons to Buy/Not Buy the AS3
Amerisleep’s AS3 mattress is their most popular bed, and for good reason. Its plush memory foam comfort layer and zone support transition layer deliver the mixture of contouring and support required by most sleepers. It’s this combination that earned the AS3 excellent scores in spine alignment, making this bed a good option for those with back or neck pain.
As a medium firmness mattress with a traditional hugging memory foam feel, the AS3 is best for those who like a bit of cushioning. Back and side sleepers are best suited by this mattress, while lightweight stomach sleepers will find the support they need to keep their hips from dipping too low. But, for those who prefer a firmer mattress, we recommend the Plank mattress.
Couples too will enjoy the benefits of the AS3. This mattress scored highly in our tests for motion transfer and edge support, two of the factors that are most important when buying a mattress you’re going to share. Strong edges allow you to spread out, while the motion isolation properties mean you can move around without waking your partner.
One of the very few downsides of the AS3 is that it’s not an ultra-responsive mattress. The deep hugging feel may be comfortable, but it doesn’t make switching positions the easiest. If you’re someone who tosses and turns at night, you may be better suited for the Bear Hybrid mattress.
The AS3 memory foam mattress boasts the traditional deep-hugging memory foam feel that you might expect from an all-foam bed. Its zoned support means that it provides better spine alignment than most all-foam beds. However, we found that its ability to cushion pressure points is no better than average.
The AS3 is one of five Amerisleep mattresses. It falls right in the middle when it comes to firmness, with its combination of cushioning and support making it the most popular AS3 bed. Here’s how it compares to the other Amerisleep models:
- AS3 vs AS1: The AS1 is 2” thinner and much firmer than the AS3. Due to the thinner profile, the AS1 isn’t as good for heavier sleepers as the AS3.
- AS3 vs AS2: The AS2 is the same thickness as the AS3, but it’s slightly less plush. Its medium-firm feel is better for stomach sleepers, while the AS3’s medium feel is superior for side sleepers.
- AS3 vs AS4: The AS4 is slightly softer than the AS3 and the same thickness. The AS4 is better for those who like an ultra-cozy sleeping surface.
- AS3 vs AS5: The AS5 is 2” thicker and much softer than the AS3. The AS5 delivers a luxuriously plush feel best for side sleepers who find most beds too firm. The AS3 is a better fit for most sleepers, especially stomach sleepers and back sleepers who prefer a balanced foam feel.
- Amerisleep AS2 vs AS3 Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Casper Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Leesa Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Loom & Leaf Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Nectar Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Purple Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Saatva Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Sleep Number Bed
- Amerisleep vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress
- Amerisleep vs Tuft & Needle Mattress
Other Products Sold by Amerisleep
Amerisleep AS3 FAQs
Is the AS3 mattress eco-friendly?
All the foams in the AS3 mattress are CertiPUR-US® certified, meaning they meet some of the most rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability. Their top layer of Bio-Pur foam is plant-based, making it better for the environment than most memory foams.
Where can I purchase an Amerisleep mattress?
Amerisleep does have showrooms across the United States, but their beds are not sold through third-party retailers. You can only purchase an Amerisleep bed through their website.
Does Amerisleep have a referral program?
Yes! If you love your new Amerisleep mattress enough to recommend it to a friend, you can get paid for your referral. Contact Amerisleep’s customer service team for more details.