Amerisleep AS4 Mattress Review
Amerisleep AS4 Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: December 2022
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️MA Customer Experience Score: 8.3/10|
|✔️Type: Memory Foam|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
$450 off Mattresses
Our Impression: The Amerisleep AS4 mattress is a medium-soft mattress offered by Amerisleep. This bed is great for side sleepers and those who tend to sleep hot. Its foam layers and breathable cover are conducive for airflow, pain relief, and blood circulation. Get ready for a healthy night’s sleep!
Who Is the Amerisleep AS4 Mattress Best for?
Amerisleep AS4 is best for:
|Amerisleep AS4 may not be best for:|
Amerisleep AS4 Review Highlights
The Amerisleep AS4 mattress is one of the softer mattresses from the series of memory foam beds by Amerisleep. It’s built with three layers of memory foam that are softer and more cooling than the AS1, AS2, and AS3 mattresses.
To learn more about this bed, keep reading our in-depth Amerisleep AS4 mattress review.
What Makes it Special:
- The top layer of the AS4 is made with proprietary plant-based memory foam, which sleeps much cooler than traditional memory foam. It undergoes a process called reticulation, which is a fancy scientific way to say the cell walls of the foam are blown out while the foam shape remains intact: It makes the top layer much more breathable.
- In addition, the special Refresh Cover is soft and breathable, keeping you cool at night no matter the weather.
- Amerisleep recommends this mattress most highly for side sleepers and combination sleepers, with a medium-soft supportive feel.
Mattress Advisor Unique Scores
Take a look at how the Amerisleep AS4 mattress scored in our different lab tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Customer Experience Score for the Amerisleep AS4 Mattress: 8.3/10⭐
- Cooling: The high-performance Bio-Pur® foam is made with an open-cell structure and you truly have a great bed. This foam allows your body heat to leave the mattress rather than getting trapped to help wick away heat and keep you cool in your sleep.
- Responsiveness: It’s built with three layers of memory foam, including Amerisleep’s proprietary, cooling Bio-Pur® and HIVE® comfort layers. These layers are intended to create a soft and responsive feel so you can sink in the mattress enough to be comfortable, but not so much that you can’t move around.
- Pressure Relief: The design of the AS4 also makes it great at relieving pressure, another important factor for side sleepers. Instead of letting you sink in too far and build up pressure in your hips and shoulders, the Amerisleep AS4 evenly distributes your body weight to avoid pain in the pressure points.
- Made in the USA: Beds made in this country and delivered to your door, like the AS4, tend to be more affordable and high-quality.
- Off-Gassing: The Amerisleep mattress will have a slight “new mattress smell” when you first unpackaged it. This smell usually dissipates within a few days and is not harmful.
- Edge Support: As one of the softer mattresses in the Amerisleep series, the AS4 didn’t do very well at providing strong edge support.
Designed with pressure-relieving foam, the Amerisleep AS4 provides excellent support while still being cushioning. We recommend this for side sleepers since it helps relieve tension in the hips.
Those who sleep with a partner know that it’s important to find a mattress that isolates motion well. We think many couples will appreciate this mattress since it scored an 8/10 in our motion isolation test. This is the kind of bed where you can move around and your partner won’t feel like you’re causing the next big tsunami.
One area where the AS4 fell short was in edge support. While we love the foam in the mattress, it didn’t do so well at holding us up. In our testing, we noticed it collapsed from our weight. If you tend to sleep near the edge, consider checking out the Amerisleep AS3, AS2, or AS1 which have better edge support.
The Firmness Level
The AS4 mattress has a medium-soft firmness level. This is about a 4/10 on the firmness scale, ideal for most side sleepers to sink their hips and shoulders comfortably, but keep their spines aligned.
Is It Good for Your Sleeping Position?
The medium firmness level makes this one of the best mattresses for side sleepers, as it is the best option for their spinal alignment. The AS4’s responsiveness makes this bed a good mattress for combination sleepers too. Some back sleepers will sleep well above the soft, contouring layers, but we tend to recommend at least medium firmness in a mattress for back sleepers. But, we stomach sleepers are in for trouble. If you’re a stomach sleeper like me, head over to our best mattress for stomach sleepers page.
While sleeping on your stomach, it is necessary to have a firmer bed that will keep the lower back aligned with the rest of your body. Stomach sleeper should look for a mattress with a firmness level that is a 6/10 or above.
Is the AS4 Cooling?
There are a couple features that make AS4 cooler than your average memory foam mattress. Unlike a traditional all-foam mattress, AS4 is made with a plant-based foam that has perforations that allows airflow to circulate rather than get stuck, promoting breathability. It also comes with a special Refresh Cooling Cover, which helps you sleep up to seven degrees cooler during the night thanks to its heat-wicking capabilities.
That being said, the AS4 will not sleep as cool as an innerspring bed or a mattress made with latex foam.
AS4 Weight Limit
The AS4 has a weight limit of 800 plbs per side on a queen-size mattress; that’s up to 400 lbs. per side. This is enough to support most body types and shapes. We recommend that heavier sleepers chose a hybrid mattress, however, for better support.
Bed Frame Compatibility
Amerisleep recommends a flat surface for the AS4. You can use a flat or slatted frame, box spring with plywood, adjustable base, or even set it on the floor.
The foam layers inside the Amerisleep AS4 are CertiPUR-US certified; here are the layers from top to bottom:
- Refresh Cooling Cover: Designed to be breathable and allow your body heat to escape.
- Bio-Pur Foam: Breathable cooling layer with open-cell structure for hot sleepers.
- Transition Layer: Ergonomic transition foam that provides pressure relief.
- Bio-Core Foam Base Layer: High-density, eco-friendly durability and support layer.
Amerisleep AS4 Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 74” x 12”||$1,349|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,399|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1,549|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,599|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||1,899|
|California King||72” x 84” x 12”||
|Split King||38″ x 80″ x 12″ (x2)||
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Check price using the button below for the best deals on the AS4 mattress.
Amerisleep Company Info
|Delivery||Free shipping, Arrives within 7-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100 days|
|Warranty||20-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
The Shipping Process
Shipping and delivery is free with Amerisleep. It takes anywhere from 7-10 business days for your mattress to ship, and then another 7 business days until it is delivered to your door. Your mattress will arrive in a box via FedEx and you do not have to sign for your package.
Learn About the Sleep Trial
The AS4 comes with a 100-night trial period, which means once you receive your AS4 mattress, you have 100 nights to decide if it’s right for you. If you decide to return it, you can exchange it for another model or return it for a full refund. Remember to try it out for 30 nights before deciding to part ways as it takes some time to fully adjust to a new mattress.
Decoding the Warranty
Your 10-year warranty covers indentations more than .75 inch deep and other physical defects. The first 10 years offer full replacement, and the next 10 years are prorated. To file a claim, call or email customer service.
Amerisleep Customer Service
With a 9/10 in our customer service test, Amerisleep has a pretty great customer care team. You can live chat with a representative on their website, call 1-800-500-4233, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Their hours are 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. (MST) on weekdays.
Breaking Down the Return Policy
To return your AS4, you must do so after 30 nights (the break-in period) but before your 100-night trial is up. If you decide the AS4 isn’t the best mattress for you, simply contact customer service, and they will have a team come and retrieve your bed for recycling. After this process, you should receive your full refund.
Read More: Amerisleep Mattress Return Policy Breakdown
See what actual customers have to say about the Amerisleep AS4 mattress.
- “I love the firmness, yet it gives to mold to my body and it is not hot like others have complained about with other memory foam mattresses.” – Katy
- “Hubby and I have used this mattress for over a year now and still wouldn’t exchange it for another. We have slept better and have less aches and pains since it arrived. It has kept me cooler than our last bed.” – Sleep Addict
- “I used to wake up every morning with back pain so I was looking for a mattress that would eliminate my pain, but it had to be firm enough for my husband and not too firm for me. This is my first memory foam mattress and it’s perfect! You don’t feel like you’re sinking into the mattress but it also doesn’t feel too hard. I’m also much cooler at night. Great mattress…I’d recommend for anyone!” – Tara
Should You Buy?
Time to decide if the AS4 is for you or if you should keep on searching. We think you’ll like this mattress if you sleep on your side, enjoy sinking into your mattress or find yourself sleeping in multiple positions.
AS4 may not be the bed for you if you sleep on your stomach or if you’re looking for a value bed. If this sounds like you, we recommend the Bear mattress. Its medium firmness and price under $1,000 makes it a good choice for your needs.
Is AS4 Like Other Mattresses?
There are 5 memory foam Amerisleep models and the AS4 is plush, but not the most plush. Let’s see how each Amerisleep bed compares:
- Amerisleep AS1: The AS1 mattress is the firmest model Amerisleep offers.
- Amerisleep AS2: Another firm mattress, the AS2 is good for back pain thanks to its good spinal alignment.
- Amerisleep AS3: This medium-firm bed works for all types of sleepers, so it’s no secret why AS3 is the most popular model.
- Amerisleep AS5: The softest model, the AS5 should be great for side sleepers looking for that little extra cushioning.
Read our full Amerisleep Mattress Reviews here.
Can I try the AS4 before I buy it?
Amerisleep does have a few select retail stores where you can see the mattress for yourself before making your purchase. But luckily, you have 100 nights to try the AS4 mattress in your home risk-free with your trial period.
How can I clean the AS4 mattress?
The removable cover on Amerisleep mattresses are easily washable for normal cleaning issues like perspiration and odor removal.
Amerisleep AS1 Mattress Review
The Amerisleep AS1 mattress is a firm memory foam bed at an excellent price. Read our Amerisleep AS1 mattress review to see if this is the bed for you.
Amerisleep AS2 Mattress Review
See how the Amerisleep AS2 mattress scored in our testing process to see how it performs.
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review
See our Amerisleep AS3 mattress review based on in-depth testing and feedback to help you determine if this is the right mattress for you.