Amerisleep AS5 Mattress Review
Amerisleep AS5 Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: June 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️MA Customer Experience Score: 8.3/10|
|✔️Type: Memory Foam|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
$450 off Mattresses
Overview: The Amerisleep AS5 is the softest of their memory foam mattress series. It’s built with multiple layers of plush, absorbing foam that’s more than 12″ deep. Combined together, these foams create a mattress that is plush yet responsive, perfect for side sleepers and combination sleepers.
Who Is the Amerisleep AS5 Mattress Best for?
Amerisleep AS5 is best for:
|Amerisleep AS5 may not be best for:|
The Amerisleep AS5 is one of the five memory foam mattresses in the collection of memory foam mattresses by Amerisleep. This model is the softest of all five models, but it still has responsive properties, so you don’t sink into the bed and get stuck.
Keep reading our in-depth Amerisleep AS5 mattress review to learn more about how this mattress performs and can bring you a better night’s sleep.
What Sets It Apart:
- The AS5 is Amerisleep’s softest mattress model and is a top mattress for side sleepers and great mattress for combination sleepers.
- Its foam comfort layers create a soft but responsive feel that relieves pressure points and makes you feel like you’re floating.
- In addition to the plant-based foam, which is known to regulate body temperature and wicks away any moisture, the mattress has a Refresh Cooling Cover to keep you at a cool temperature.
Check out our score breakdown for our overall rating of the Amerisleep AS5 mattress. Our lab scores are still pending, but until then, you can see our customer experience ratings.
You can learn more about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Customer Experience Score for the Amerisleep AS5 Mattress: 8.3/10⭐
Amerisleep AS5 Performance Highlights
- Pressure Relief: It means that when you’re sleeping on the AS5, not only are you ultra-comfortable from the soft surface, but you also are getting the pressure-relieving support you need to avoid pain in the hips, shoulders, and knees. This bed can make you feel like you’re floating!
- Spine Alignment: This bed is a good match for side sleepers looking for a comfortable, contouring bed that balances with enough support to maintain proper spine alignment.
- Refresh Cooling Cover: Top that all off with the high-performance Refresh Cooling Cover and you’re practically guaranteed a good night’s sleep. This cover turns your body heat into infrared energy, meaning you’ll sleep cool all night long.
- Off-Gassing: Being an all-foam mattress, the AS5 will have an off-gassing odor after unboxing. This happens with all bed-in-a-box mattresses made with memory foam; just let it air out for a few hours and the smell will dissipate.
- Edge Support: During our testing, we noticed the Amerisleep AS5 lacked adequate edge support, which could be a dilemma for those that like to spread out in their bed.
As you sleep, it’s important to keep your spinal in its neutral position so that you don’t wake up with aches and pains. This mattress’s HIVE transition layer does a good job at keeping your spine aligned properly.
The Amerisleep AS5 isolates motion fairly well, earning it an 8/10 in our motion transfer test. Amerisleep’s proprietary Bio-Pur foam absorbs motion so that those on the other side of the mattress don’t feel it. It does a great job at helping partners not disturb one another, making it a great option for couples.
Since the AS5 is the softest of the Amerisleep series, it’s very plush and doesn’t hold as well as some firmer mattresses. When our tester lay on the edge of the bed, they felt as if they were falling. It also collapsed when they sat on the end of the mattress. For those who prefer a mattress with stronger edge support, we recommend checking out the Amerisleep AS3, AS2, or AS1.
Out of the five memory foam Amerisleep mattresses, the AS5 is the most plush option, coming in at a 3/10 on the firmness scale. This medium-soft/soft firmness works best for side sleepers; see why in the next section.
Is It Good for Your Sleeping Position?
Let’s cover how the AS5 works for side, back, stomach, and combination sleepers:
- Side sleepers will most likely enjoy this soft mattress the most because it cradles their hips and shoulders while allowing their spine to stay straight.
- Thanks to the responsive foam layer, combination sleepers should have an easier time shifting from one position to the next.
- Back sleepers and stomach sleepers need a mattress that is at least medium-firm for a good spinal alignment, so we do not recommend the AS5 for them. Head over to our best mattress for back sleepers and best mattress for stomach sleepers pages if that is your primary sleeping position.
Does It Sleep Hot?
The AS5 is designed to sleep cool. The open-cell foams allow air to escape, plus the breathable cover helps wick away body heat. Of course, the more thick bedding and pajamas you bring into bed could have an effect on your body temperature. And in addition, innerspring mattresses and those with latex foam will sleep cooler than an all-foam mattress.
Can the AS5 Support Your Weight?
The AS5 has a weight limit of 700 lbs for a queen-size mattress. This is about a 350-lb limit per side, which works for most body types. However, if you consider yourself to be a heavier sleeper, we encourage you to look at a bed with springs or thicker density foam to feel more supported.
Do You Need a Specific Foundation?
All you need to be supported in the AS5 mattress is a flat surface. This includes a slatted frame, a flat frame, a box spring with plywood, an adjustable base, or the floor.
The Inside Layers
The AS5 mattress is made in the USA with CertiPUR-US Certified foams. Check out how they use these materials to make a cozy mattress.
- Refresh Cooling Cover: The soft cover of the AS5 allows air to escape and wicks away moisture, keeping hot sleepers from overheating.
- Bio-Pur Foam: A top layer made with breathable cooling foam with an open-cell structure.
- Active Flex Layer: This layer is what makes this bed work for combo sleepers using its responsive comfort foam.
- HIVE Transition Layer: Using ergonomic transition foam, this layer provides pressure and pain relief.
- Bio-Core Foam Support Layer: Eco-friendly, high-density foam adds durability. The support foam base layer gives this bed the ability to have a 20-year warranty.
Amerisleep AS5 Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
Amerisleep offers the AS5 in traditional mattress sizes. You also can purchase this mattress in a hybrid model at a slightly higher cost. Below are the prices for the AS5 all-foam version.
|Twin||38” x 74” x 14”||$1,749|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$1,799|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$1,949|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,999|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$2,299|
|California King||72” x 84” x 14”||
|Split King||38″ x 80″ x 14″ (x2)||
*Prices do not reflect exclusive Mattress Advisor offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Amerisleep AS5 mattress.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a box that is 19” x 19” x 42” for a queen|
|Trial Period||100 days|
|Warranty||20-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Full refund on returns within 100-day trial period|
Getting Amerisleep AS5 to You
After placing your order, it takes about 7-10 business days for your AS5 to ship. This includes packing the mattress and having FedEx retrieve it. After shipping, delivery takes about 7 business days. This entire process is free to you if you live anywhere in the continental United States. You do not have to sign for your mattress.
Amerisleep Sleep Trial
Once you receive your mattress, you have 100 days to decide if you want to return it for a full refund or exchange it for another model. Keep in mind that it can take up to 30 days to adjust to a new mattress so you may want to take some time before making any decision.
Every Amerisleep mattress comes with a warranty that lasts 20 years. The first 10 years cover full replacement when there are defects like indentations. The second 10-year period is a prorated warranty where everything is still covered, you just have to cover the cost of transportation, shipping, as well as cover half the original price of the mattress.
Talk to Customer Service
Amerisleep’s customer service is very easy to get in touch with and very friendly once you do. You can chat with a live representative anytime on their site. For more lengthy questions, call 1-800-500-4233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. They are available from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening (MST).
AS5 Mattress Return Policy
As you know, you get 100 nights to try out the AS5 mattress; this is also your window for free returns. Should you decide to return your mattress, contact customer care, and they will set up a time for reps to recycle your mattress and give you a full refund. We should note that Amerisleep asks you to wait the 30-night break-in period before you return.
Read More: Amerisleep Mattress Return Policy
- “My sister recommended this company after researching for an eco-friendly (least toxic) mattress. Their customer service is top notch. I love my mattress, having purchased it in Apr. 2018. I went w/ the AS5 and it is very comfortable, not too soft or too firm. I didn’t want it too firm. I weigh 110 lbs. It was a little challenging getting it up to the second floor due to its weight (needed 2 people), so definitely wait until you get it to the designated room before opening it up! I got a queen size. Definitely get the mattress protector, regardless if you have pets on the bed to protect your investment. Enjoy!” – Solta
- “Finally a soft mattress!…The wife and I have been sleeping on the A5 for the past two weeks and wow! I’ve been waking up without pain. The mattress also sleeps cool. Recommend purchasing the sheets to go with the mattress. It’s worth the money.” – Criag
- “I bought the AS5 split king. The mattress is all I hoped for. Soft at about a 5.5 rating, but firm enough so as to keep my back from aching. I have improved sleep from this mattress. Spent a lot of time evaluating mattresses online and visiting stores. I really liked the Tempur-Pedic Pro Adapt Soft and the Breeze Soft. This Amerisleep is on equal footing with these mattresses. I am a side sleeper but also wind up on my back. Best sleep in a long time. I purchased a dynasty split king adjustable bed frame and this mattress works well with it.” – Patrick
Is the AS5 Mattress for You?
The AS5 Mattress is a good choice if:
- You sleep on your side.
- You toss and turn.
- You love a cozy mattress that lets you sink in.
- You sleep hot, but want a foam bed.
We think you should look elsewhere if you fall under these categories:
- You sleep on your back or stomach.
- You’re shopping on a budget.
- You want a bed with springs.
If you decide that the AS5 isn’t for you, here are some alternatives:
- If you sleep on your back or stomach, consider the Layla mattress.
- If you are budget shopping, consider Nectar.
- If you’re looking for a hybrid mattress, consider Helix Midnight.
As you know, the Amerisleep AS5 is one of 5 Amerisleep memory foam beds. Let’s discuss how they compare.
- Amerisleep AS1: AS1 is the firmest bed Amerisleep has to offer, perfect for most stomach and some back sleepers.
- Amerisleep AS2: The AS2 is still a firm mattress, but less firm than the AS1, still great for back and stomach sleepers.
- Amerisleep AS3: AS3 is the most popular Amerisleep mattress due to its universal medium firmness.
- Amerisleep AS4: The AS4 is softer. This is the perfect Amerisleep bed for side sleepers, back sleepers, and those who want a little extra cushioning.
Where are the Amerisleep mattresses made?
Like their name suggests, Amerisleep makes all of their mattresses in the USA, which allows them to keep their prices lower than a traditional brand and stimulates the local economy.
Do I need to break in my new bed?
Yes! Every new mattress will take some getting used to as both you and the mattress warm up to each other. It shouldn’t take any longer than 30 nights sleep in your new bed to get used to the feel.
Amerisleep Mattress Reviews
Learn about the Amerisleep brand and compare their 5 memory foam mattresses. See our reviews and ratings for price, quality, and more.
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review
See our Amerisleep AS3 mattress review based on in-depth testing and feedback to help you determine if this is the right mattress for you.
Amerisleep AS4 Mattress Review
See what makes the Amerisleep AS4 mattress good for side sleepers and hot sleepers. Learn what's inside the bed, pricing, and more.