Hybrid: natural latex and innerspring
Medium-firm to firm: 7/10 (6/10 with European pillow-top option)
25-year limited warranty
Eco-friendly hybrid offering good back support
- While the Avocado mattress is on the pricier side, you are investing in all-natural materials and a latex/hybrid mattress which is known to have great durability and one of the longest lifespans.
- Because of the inner coils and latex top support, this mattress is going to provide great edge support, however it is not going to contour your body the same way a foam mattress will. You do have the option of adding on a European-style pillow-top for added “fluff.” (It’s an extra $400 to add this to a queen size mattress.)
What makes it different from other mattresses
- It’s one of the greenest mattresses out there – nearly all of the materials in the mattress can be recycled.
What to watch out for
- Every Avocado mattress is made to order, so don’t expect a speedy delivery. It can take up to 3 weeks from the time you place your order to the time it shows up on your doorstep.
Avocado sizes available
- Queen: $1,399 | $1,799 with pillow-top
- King: $1,599 | $2,099 with pillow-top
- Cal King: $1,599 | $2,099 with pillow-top
- Twin: $959 | $1,199 with pillow-top
- Twin XL: $999 | $1,299 with pillow-top
- Full: $1,199 | $1,499 with pillow-top
A look inside
The Avocado is made with all natural and organic materials and offers a standard or pillow-top option for all sizes. Side sleepers typically prefer the pillow-top option, while back and stomach sleepers (and those with back pain) tend to find more comfort on the standard mattress.
- Natural latex rubber offers durability and temperature control
- Natural wool helps wick moisture away, control temperature and is resistant to dust mites
- Recycled steel support coils help with spinal alignment and balance
- Organic cotton cover is soft and breathable
What Avocado customers have to say
- “It’s been almost a month and we are extremely happy with our Avocado so far! We purchased the standard mattress without the pillow top and it’s the perfect level of firmness for my hubby and I which has proven to be a tough task until now. We tried out two other mattresses from a similar green online mattress company and unfortunately both of them had to be returned due to sagging after less than 6 weeks.” – Kristi K.
- “Recently, bought a Queen with plush topper. I found the mattress a bit too firm for me after sleeping on it for a few nights. I got in touch with Jay (Avocado’s customer service person) and, without any hesitation, he proposed that he sent me another (softer) topper. I received the topper within a few days. I am now very happy with my mattress; I am a back- and side-side sleeper and this mattress gives me great neck and back support. Bottom line: Customer Service was exceptional. If ever I need another mattress, I feel I can order from Avocado, knowing that I will be taken care of.” – Michael L.
- “We have been sleeping on our new mattress with pillow top for a few weeks now. It is firmer than the old (spring) mattress we previously had and it took me about a week or so to get used to that but now we love it. (My husband liked it immediately.) I especially love it that I do not get woken up anymore every time my husband turns around as the movements on his side of the mattress are hardly noticeable on my side.” – Nicolette H.
Read more reviews here.
The finer print
- Delivery: The Avocado ships free and is made to order, which takes about 5-7 business days, plus up to 7 days to ship your mattress.
- Setup: The Avocado mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation (if you’re using one), remove the plastic wrapping and watch it grow. Avocado will also deliver your new mattress, set it up, and remove your old one for a $99 fee. (Note: the King with pillow-top option requires in-home delivery due to its weight.) You can read more about set-up instructions here.
- Foundation: A foundation is not required, but if you choose to use one, a box spring or slatted foundation will work fine. Avocado recommends S. Box Spring which makes a natural wood foundation ($215 for queen).
- Return policy: If you decide the Avocado mattress isn’t right for you within the 100-night trial period, you can arrange a return where they will either recycle the mattress or donate it to a local charity at no cost. You will also get a full refund on your purchase.
- Warranty: The Avocado comes with a 25-year limited warranty.
- Cleaning: For spills and stains, you can spot treat the area with mild detergent and cool water. soak up any residual water with a light-colored sponge or white rag by blotting, rather than rubbing. You can take a look at other cleaning tips from Avocado here.
- Made in the USA.
- Every Avocado mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL Environment, which means they meet some of the world’s most rigorous, third-party emissions standards for chemical exposure and pollutants.
- Avocado regularly supports various charities and nature foundations.
Other products sold by Avocado
- Avocado also offers a green pillow made with natural latex ($89 for queen).
If you have more questions about the Avocado mattress, check out their FAQ page or leave us a comment below.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.