Avocado Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Avocado Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: July 2021
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.6/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.5/10|
|✔️Type: Natural Latex and Innerspring|
|✔️Firmness: Medium-Firm to Firm|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️1-Year Sleep Trial|
$100 off Green and Vegan Hybrid Mattresses with code GREEN100
Bottom line: The Avocado mattress is a good choice for back sleepers and stomach sleepers looking for an eco-friendly mattress. Customers love its full-year sleep trial period and generous 25-year warranty, so you have plenty of time to see if the Avocado is the best mattress for you.
Who Is It Right For?
|Avocado is best for:||Avocado may not be best for:|
The Avocado mattress is one of the best organic mattresses available online. This organic latex mattress is naturally cool and customers love the eco-friendly materials. In this mattress review, we’ll go over what you need to know about the Avocado mattress before you buy, including pros and cons, how it scored in our lab testing, product specs, and more.
Why we love it:
- While the Avocado bed is on the pricier side, you are investing in all-natural materials and a latex/hybrid mattress – some of the best hybrid mattresses are known to have great durability and some of the longest lifespans.
- Because of the inner coil system and latex top support, this mattress is going to provide great responsiveness; however, it is not going to be as contouring as some of the best memory foam mattresses will. You do have the choice of adding on a European-style optional pillow-top for added “fluff.” (It’s an extra $400 to add this to a queen size mattress.)
- Nearly all of the materials in the mattress can be recycled.
- The Avocado is one of our top-rated best organic mattresses.
- It’s one of the best durable mattresses that won’t sag.
See how the Avocado performed in our mattress tests to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
Here’s how the Avocado mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Our score is a weighted average out of 10 that incorporates functional and performance characteristics of the mattress, as well as a social responsibility score, which takes into account social mission, community involvement, and charitable partnerships.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Avocado Mattress: 8.5/10⭐
Avocado Performance Highlights
- Avocado offers one of the most generous trial period and warranty combinations: a year-long trial and a 25-year warranty. They are clearly confident in the premium organic materials.
- Spine alignment: People who suffer from back pain need a mattress that provides good spinal alignment that keeps it from twisting unnaturally. Avocado scored a nearly perfect 9.5 out of 10 in our spine alignment test.
- Responsiveness: People who move around at night should look for a responsive mattress as it will adjust to these movements quickly. The Avocado mattress did well in this area thanks to the coil layer.
- Cooling: Avocado is made of cooling latex foam and breathable innersprings, making it a good mattress for hot sleepers.
- Every Avocado mattress is made to order, so don’t expect a speedy delivery. It can take up to 3 weeks from the time you place your order to the time it shows up on your doorstep.
- The Avocado mattress didn’t score the best in motion isolation, meaning it may not be the best pick for people who sleep with a partner.
- In our pressure relief test, Avocado was harsh on the pressure point areas of side sleepers.
In order for a mattress to score highly on our spine alignment test, it must support the natural curve of your spine. When this curve is thrown out of alignment it can result in morning aches and prolonged lower back pain.
Both of our mattress testers had near perfect alignment when they were on their sides and their stomachs, earning the Avocado an impressive 9.5/10.
Certain sleepers are sensitive to disruptions that might otherwise seem minor to others. Some people need complete darkness to sleep well; others require white noise; and many cannot rest easy with a fidgety partner or pet beside them. This last problem is quite common in sleepers, including myself, and the best solution for it is to find a bed that absorbs motion rather than reverberating it.
Unfortunately, the Avocado did not succeed in this test. We found that motion was very easy to detect on the mattress’s surface, meaning even your sleep partner’s smallest movements could wake you from a deep slumber.
Whether you’re watching a movie or trying to get to sleep, you probably try several different positions before you settle into comfort. This is especially the case for combination sleepers, who move around consistently throughout the night. In order to allow for this, a bed must have a high level of responsiveness, meaning it is easy to move around on but also easy to settle into.
Unlike most memory foam mattresses, latex and innerspring beds tend to perform well on the responsiveness test, and the Avocado is no exception. If you’re somewhat of a restless sleeper this mattress is a solid choice.
The Avocado lands on a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, classifying it as a firm mattress. This is ideal for back and stomach sleepers. With the added pillow top, the firmness level becomes a 6 out of 10 or medium-firm.
The Avocado is more on the firm side and isn’t the best at relieving the pressure on side sleepers’ hips and shoulders. Side sleepers might want to opt for the pillow top option for some extra cushion or a bed on our best mattress for side sleepers list.
However, both back sleepers and stomach sleepers will enjoy the firmness, and our pressure map showed almost no pressure in these positions. Avocado is one of our favorite organic options in our best mattress for back sleepers and best mattress for stomach sleepers lists. Avocado’s responsiveness also makes it a good mattress for combo sleepers.
The Avocado mattress consists of both latex foam and coil springs, two of the most breathable and naturally cool materials a mattress can be made with.
A queen Avocado mattress supports 350 lbs. on each side or 700 lbs. total. This weight limit will support most types of sleepers.
A foundation is not required with Avocado, but if you choose to use one, a platform bed, an adjustable base, or slatted foundation will work fine. Avocado does not recommend using a traditional box spring as it can make the mattress feel too springy.
A Look Inside
The Avocado is made with all natural and organic materials and offers a standard or pillow-top option.
- 100% Organic Cotton Ticking: Organic cotton cover that is soft and breathable.
- 100% Organic Wool: Natural wool is resistant to dust mites. It also helps control your body temperature by wicking away moisture.
- Organic Dunlop Latex: Natural latex rubber offers durability and temperature control.
- Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge Elite CombiZone: 1,414 recycled steel support pocketed coils help with spinal alignment and balance.
- Another Natural Dunlop Latex Layer: Support layer for added cooling and durability.
Prices and Sizes
|Size||Dimensions||Weight||Price*||Price with Pillow-Top*|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11”||59 lbs.||$899||$1199|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||63 lbs.||$999||$1299|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||82 lbs.||$1199||$1499|
|Queen||60” 80” x 11”||97 lbs.||$1399||$1799|
|King||76” x 80” x11”||123 lbs.||$1799||$2399|
|California King||72” x 84” x 11”||122 lbs.||$1799||$2399|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Avocado mattress.
Unboxing an Avocado
It took us about two minutes to unbox and set up the Avocado mattress. It comes with side handles for easy maneuvering, but it does weigh 97 lbs. for a queen size mattress, so we suggest working with a partner. There was almost no off-gassing smell thanks to the organic mattress materials.
|Delivery||Ships free; arrives at your door in ~2 weeks|
|Trial Period||356 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Does it Cost to Ship?
The Avocado ships free and is made to order, which takes about 5-7 business days, plus up to 7 days to ship your mattress. Avocado will also deliver your new mattress, set it up, and remove your old one for a $99 fee. (Note: the King with pillow-top option requires in-home delivery due to its weight.)
The Sleep Trial
Starting at your delivery date, you have one full year to try out your Avocado mattress and see if you would like to keep it or make a free return. A full year is one of the most generous sleep trial periods in the bed-in-a-box industry.
The Avocado mattress is covered by a 25-year warranty. This warranty covers indentations one inch or greater, physical flaws in the latex foam, and any manufacturer defects.
Avocado Customer Service
Getting in contact with Avocado’s customer service is very easy. You can either chat live with a representative on their website, email them directly on their website, or visit one of their experience centers in New Jersey or California.
The Return Policy
During your year-long trial period, if you decide to return the Avocado mattress, contact customer service and they will arrange to have your mattress donated or recycled. You will also get a full refund on your purchase after the mattress is received and in good condition.
Is Avocado Right for You?
If you’re interested in an eco-friendly mattress and don’t mind spending a bit then there’s a lot to love about the Avocado. It’s great for back pain and does a good job of staying cool throughout the night. Couples, however, may find that the motion isolation is somewhat lacking. If you’re sensitive to movement but still have your heart set on a latex bed, check out our Awara mattress review.
Another thing to keep in mind is the cost. It is true that finding a decent latex mattress for a wallet-friendly price is challenging, but it isn’t impossible. For an option that comes in under $1000, read our review of the Elements Latex mattress.
Is the Avocado mattress eco-friendly?
Every Avocado mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL Environment. This certification ensures your mattress has been tested for emissions and chemical exposure.
Does Avocado offer financing?
Yes! Avocado offers financing through Affirm.
Do I need to flip or rotate my Avocado mattress?
Because of the way the layers are constructed, you don’t ever need to flip your mattress. To prolong the life of your Avocado mattress, we recommend rotating your bed instead.
How do I clean my Avocado mattress?
For spills and stains, you can spot treat the area with mild detergent and cool water. Any left over water should be blotted away with a white rag or light-colored sponge—do not rub.