Bear Star Hybrid Mattress Review
Bear Star Hybrid Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: September 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 9.0/10|
|✔️Type: Hybrid: Foam + Coils|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️120-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️Lifetime Limited Warranty|
Get 35% off + $400 in Free Accessories
The bottom line: The Bear Star Hybrid Mattress, formerly known as the Bear Hybrid, is a hybrid spring and foam mattress that aids in recovery with its Celliant technology, a good choice for people searching for a cooling mattress. The 120-night trial and lifetime warranty ensure that you will sleep cool and comfortably for years.
Who Is the Bear Star Hybrid Mattress Best for?
|Bear Star Hybrid is best for:||Bear Star Hybrid may not be best for:|
The Bear Star Hybrid is one of our top-rated best hybrid mattresses. It has also been a runner-up on the best mattress for seniors roundup. Find out if the Bear Star Hybrid’s materials work for you in this review. We’ll cover pros and cons, FAQs, product specs, and how it scored in our mattress lab tests.
What Makes the Bear Star Hybrid Special:
- Compared to the Bear Memory Foam mattress, the Bear Star Hybrid offers the feel of a traditional spring mattress while infused with cooling memory foams.
- Made with Celliant, which is said to harness your body’s natural energy to expedite recovery times and overall well being.
Below you will see our score breakdown for the Bear Star Hybrid mattress. This is where you can see how it scored in each of our tests. In the next section, you’ll get to dive deeper into our testing. If you’re curious about our testing process and understanding mattress terminology, check out our review process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Bear Star Hybrid Mattress: 9.0/10⭐
Spine Alignment: The Bear Star Hybrid really impressed us when it came to spine alignment. This mattress will do an excellent job at keeping your spine comfortably aligned throughout the night, so you can wake up feeling refreshed with a healthy posture.
Durability: When it comes to durability, you can be sure the Bear Star Hybrid will last you for years. The bottom layer is made with dense support foam that ensures a long lifespan for the mattress and adds overall structure and support.
Social Impact: The Bear Star Hybrid doesn’t do much in the social world besides donating returned mattresses to local charities.
The Bear Star Hybrid Pros and Cons
- Warranty: While the bed-in-a-box industry standard is a 10-year warranty, Bear takes it to the next level with their generous lifetime warranty, showing their confidence that the Bear Star Hybrid will last you for years to come.
- Responsiveness: If you are a person who tosses and turns at night, a mattress with good responsiveness is what you should look for. Bear Star Hybrid scored an impressive 9 out of 10 in our responsiveness test, meaning it adjusted quickly to movement.
- Cooling: Using a combination of pocketed coils, cooling gel memory foam, and a Celliant cover, Bear Star Hybrid sleep exceptionally cool.
- Off-Gassing: When you free the Bear Star Hybrid from its plastic wrapping, you may notice a slight odor. This is normal with boxed mattresses and should go away in a few hours.
- Motion Transfer: The Bear Star Hybrid didn’t do the best job at motion isolation in our mattress test, meaning it may not be the best option for people who sleep with a partner.
- Pressure Relief: This mattress scored a 7 out of 10 in our pressure relief test, meaning it doesn’t do the greatest job at easing the pressure from hips and shoulders.
- Edge Support: The Bear Star Hybrid lacks some edge support, so you may want to be careful to not sleep too close to the edge of your mattress.
Let’s dig into some info about the Bear Star Hybrid and who it works best for.
Bear Star Hybrid Firmness Level
The Bear Star Hybrid is a medium-firm mattress, coming in at about a 6.3/10 on the firmness scale. This firmness works for most types of sleepers.
Does the Bear Star Hybrid Mattress Support Your Sleeping Position?
- The Bear Star Hybrid is one of the best mattresses for combination sleepers because of the mattress’s responsiveness. This makes it easier to move around on the mattress and shift positions.
- It’s also a good mattress for stomach sleepers and great bed for back sleepers who will enjoy the firmness level because it provides the sturdy support those sleepers need to keep their hips from sinking.
- Side sleepers on the Bear Star Hybrid is a different story. Side sleepers need the pressure relief that Bear Star Hybrid lacks. They require more soft cushioning for their hips and shoulders, and more contouring that’ll cradle their pressure points. The Bear Star Hybrid probably won’t cut it for most side sleepers. Check out our best mattress for side sleepers guide for better recommendations.
Does the Bear Star Hybrid Sleep Cool?
Chances are you won’t be plagued by a case of the night sweats when sleeping on the Bear Star Hybrid. The Bear Star Hybrid is made using encased coil springs, cooling gel foam, and a quilted cover infused with Celliant technology that moves heat away from the body. Combined, the Bear Star Hybrid sleeps ultra cool, so you can rest comfortably all night long.
How Much Weight Does it Support?
Bear doesn’t specify a weight capacity for its mattresses, but it’s our view that a well-made hybrid of this type should support up to 700 pounds.
What Foundations Can You Use?
The Bear Star Hybrid Mattress will work on any firm, flat surface. This includes a box foundation, flat frames, slats, adjustable frames, or even the floor.
Take A Look Inside
The Bear Star Hybrid is made of 5 layers of foam and coils, and is designed to offer that coveted firmness sweet spot of not too soft and not too firm.
- Hand-quilted Celliant fiber cover: The hand-tufted cover is woven with Celliant fiber and “HydroCool” technology designed to keep you cooler as you sleep.
- Copper-infused memory foam: This layer of breathable, adaptive foam has a copper infusion designed to bring antimicrobial properties to the mattress.
- Cooling gel memory foam: At the core of the mattress, this layer is designed to promote air flow and keep you cool while you sleep.
- Individually encased coils: This layer is made of a 1300+ encased coil system that adds support and creates a traditional spring mattress feel.
- High-density support foam: A final layer of dense foam adds support and durability.
Bear Star Hybrid Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x14”||60 lbs.||$1,498|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x14”||60 lbs.||$1,598|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||80 lbs.||$1,698|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||110 lbs.||$1,998|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||140 lbs.||$2,298|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 14”||140 lbs.||$2,298|
|Split King||76″ x 80″ x 14″||140 lbs.||$3,196|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Bear Star Hybrid mattress and see the best Bear mattress coupons.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled into a 45’’x 20.5’’ x 20.5’’ box; free shipping|
|Trial Period||120-night trial|
|Warranty||Lifetime Limited Warranty|
|Return Policy||Free Returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Shipping and Delivery
The Bear Star Hybrid comes with free delivery and should arrive at your doorstep within 7-10 business days. Anywhere outside of the continental U.S. will have a shipping fee.
For white-glove delivery service and mattress removal, there is a $150 fee.
Sleep Trial Period
Bear offers the industry-standard 120-night risk-free mattress trial. You should allow your Bear Star Hybrid at least 30 nights to break in during this time.
Decoding the Warranty
The Bear Star Hybrid Mattress comes with a lifetime limited warranty. This covers any impressions greater than one inch and any physical flaw sustained from normal, proper handling.
Everything Customer Service
To get in touch with Bear’s customer service team you can either live chat on Bear’s website, call 884-311-0035, or email email@example.com.
The Return Policy
If you’re not in love with your Bear Star Hybrid, you can return it for a full refund within your 120-night trial period. Bear will arrange for a representative to come to your home to pick up your mattress. The company asks you to give the mattress a try for at least 30 nights.
Bear Star Hybrid vs. Bear Pro
(Note: As of February 2023, the Bear Pro has been discontinued.)
|Criteria||Bear Star Hybrid||Bear Pro|
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||8.8/10|
|Firmness||Medium-Firm: 6.3/10||Medium-Firm: 6.5/10|
|Who’s It Best For?||
Bear is known for creating mattresses that cater to the specific needs of athletes, and the Bear Star Hybrid and Bear Pro are not exceptions. Both mattresses performed well, as you can see in our overall Mattress Advisor scores.
While both mattresses are medium-firm, the materials in the mattresses differ. The Bear Star Hybrid is a hybrid mattress that features both foam and coils, while the Bear Pro is an all-foam blend. If you like the feel of a more traditional mattress, the Bear Star Hybrid may be the best choice for you.
If you are a hot sleeper, both of these mattresses are good options. If allergies tend to disrupt your sleep, consider purchasing the Bear Pro; it is naturally antibacterial and antiviral.
Bear Star Hybrid vs. Leesa Sapira
|Criteria||Bear Star Hybrid||Leesa Sapira Hybrid|
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||9.4/10|
|Firmness||Medium-Firm: 6.5/10||Medium-Firm: 5/10|
|Who’s It Best For?||
Both the Bear Star Hybrid and the Leesa Sapira Hybrid mattresses provide excellent spine alignment and durability; not only will you feel good after sleeping on these beds, but you can plan to do so for many years.
The Bear Star Hybrid is an excellent choice for people who are active during the day and who may toss and turn at night. If you sleep with a partner, though, this mattress does not score well in motion transfer, so you may wake up in the night if you’re a sensitive sleeper.
The Leesa Sapira Hybrid is one of the highest-scoring mattresses Mattress Advisor has ever tested. It is highly responsive, provides excellent pressure relief, and does well with motion transfer.
The Bear Star Hybrid comes with a 120-night sleep trial and a lifetime warranty, while the Leesa Sapira Hybrid comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
Check out our full Leesa Sapira Hybrid mattress review.
On Pain Relief
- “I bought it just off the reviews without trying it and I love it. I have a slipped disc and it’s the best mattress by far I’ve ever had to date.” -Lucie R.
- “I was skeptical to buy a mattress online but after all my research and reading bona fide reviews, I settled on the Bear Star Hybrid. It was a great decision. The mattress is extremely well made, very comfortable for both back and side sleeping and with the accompanying frame and foundation, provides me a great night’s sleep. I especially like the construction elements of the hybrid mattress and my spouse who has arthritic issues has definitely gotten relief. We would eagerly consider another purchase and recommend the product and company highly and without reservation…..thanks Bear!!!!” -Robert L.
- “Like sleeping on a cloud. Very comfortable that it turned me into a back sleeper. When side sleeping felt that I was sinking in at times but nothing that disrupted sleep. Very good at transferring body heat.” -Justin J.
- “I’ve been sleeping on my Bear Star Hybrid now for 2 months and from Day 1, it has been the best sleep I have ever experienced. I used to wake up stiff and sore but with Bear I wake up, heck bounce up, refreshed with no soreness at all. By far the best purchase I have made. Thank you Bear, well done!!!” -Gary S.
On Buying a Bed Online
- “Like many people on the market for a new mattress, we put in some time doing our research. We read countless reviews, watched numerous YouTube videos, and asked family and friends. While Bear wasn’t the #1 mattress-in-a-box Instagram ad in our feeds, it was the consistent winner for quality for the price. We settled on the Bear Star Hybrid, which has been an absolute dream (pun intended). After the first night, my husband and I woke up feeling so refreshed. And after 2 months, it holds up! There is enough support for myself (a side sleeper), and enough memory foam softness for my stomach-sleeping partner. It has completely changed our quality of sleep, so much so that we are left wondering how we ever rested on our old mattress! I highly recommend this mattress – you won’t be disappointed.” -Aubrey G.
- “After many hours and lengthy research and plenty of local store visits we decided to take a chance on the Bear Star Hybrid. After the FIRST night I was able to sleep through the entire night and woke up well refreshed. Typically every morning I crack my back when driving to work now I can’t even crack my back if I tried! 10/10” -Sal M.
Is the Bear Star Hybrid Right for You?
If you’re an athlete, or generally lead an active or demanding lifestyle, the Bear Star Hybrid was practically made for you. With an innovative Celliant cover that can help to aid in recovery and overall well-being, this hybrid mattress is also ideal for seniors. The Bear Star Hybrid is infused with cooling memory foam, so you can kiss those night sweats goodbye.
The Bear Star Hybrid earned its rank as a top-rated hybrid mattress for its blend of high-quality foams and coils that deliver maximum support and comfort. This mattress is a little pricey, but for all you’re getting plus the lifetime warranty and free shipping and returns, I still think it’s quite a steal. The Bear Star Hybrid isn’t great for side sleepers wanting pressure relief as well as couples who need a mattress that excels in motion isolation. Have no fear, the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora is here for you.
The Brooklyn Aurora is another hybrid mattress, but performs better in motion isolation and pressure relief. It’s better able to support side sleepers and couples, and even comes in 3 different firmness levels so you can customize your mattress based on which sleep position you frequent most. It also boasts similar cooling technology as the Bear Star Hybrid. Check out our full Brooklyn Aurora Mattress Review to learn more.
Related: Bear vs Bear Star Hybrid
Other Bear Reviews
- Bear Elite Hybrid Mattress Review
- Bear Mattress Protector Review
- Bear Pillow Review
- Bear Pro Mattress Review
- Bear Weighted Blanket Review
- Original Bear Mattress Review
Is the Bear Star Hybrid mattress made in the USA?
The Bear Star Hybrid mattress is manufactured in Wisconsin using CertiPUR-US certified foams.
Can I finance my Bear Star Hybrid?
Financing for the Bear Star Hybrid is available through Affirm. Simply select Affirm at checkout where you will fill out your application and complete your purchase upon approval.
How do I clean my Bear Star Hybrid?
To clean the Bear Star Hybrid, simply spot clean with a small amount of warm water and a mild detergent.