Bear Mattress Review
Bear Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.6/10|
|✔️Type: Memory Foam with Graphite Gel|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️120-Night Risk-Free Sleep Trial|
|✔️Lifetime Limited Warranty|
Get 35% off + Free Sleep Bundle
The bottom line: The Bear Original mattress is a great choice for athletes and people with an active lifestyle looking for a recovery mattress. This memory foam mattress cools you down at night while the celliant cover improves blood flow and muscle recovery, allowing you to wake up refreshed.
Who Is the Bear Mattress Best for?
|Bear is best for:||Bear may not be best for:|
The Bear mattress is one of the best mattresses for athletes and is also a great mattress for back pain. This bed-in-a-box has a high customer rating, and in this review, we’ll explore why. We’ll cover important factors about Bear, including how it scored in our lab testing, sizes, prices, pros and cons, and even some FAQs to help you find out if Bear is the bed for you.
What we love about the Bear:
- Bear is a great mattress for athletes or people with active lifestyles because of its pressure relieving properties, cooling properties, and muscle recovery technology. But really, anyone can benefit from these features.
- The mattress cover is made with Celliant® fibers, which reflect infrared light back to the body to promote blood circulation and improved muscle recovery.
- Bear claims that its open cell response foam increases cooling and conductivity up to 7x more than traditional foam mattresses—we can attest to the fact that the mattress is actually cool to the touch!
See how the Bear performed in our mattress tests to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
Here’s how the Bear mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Our score is a weighted average out of 10 that incorporates functional and performance characteristics of the mattress, as well as a social responsibility score, which takes into account social mission, community involvement and charitable partnerships.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Bear Mattress: 8.6/10⭐
Bear Performance Highlights
- Bear offers an easy, hassle-free return policy for their mattress. Should you decide to return Bear, they will locate a charity for your bed to be donated to and arrange a pickup for free.
- Spine alignment: Bear scored well in our spinal alignment test, meaning when you sleep on your side, your spine should be nearly straight, and when you sleep on your back your spine should maintain its natural curve.
- Responsiveness: Although Bear is a memory foam mattress, it scored an impressive 9 out of 10 in responsiveness, meaning it easily adjusts to your movements.
- Cooling: Bear accomplished another amazing feat for a memory foam bed—it sleeps cool. This is great for people who suffer from night sweats or kicking off their blankets at night.
- When you unbox the Bear mattress, you will notice an off-gassing odor. This is normal with all-foam mattresses and should go away within a few hours.
- Apart from donating 1% of sales to Good Sports Charity, Bear doesn’t do much in the social impact world.
- Bear did not score as well in motion isolation, meaning it may not be the best choice for couples and co-sleepers.
Let’s dig deeper into what makes the Bear mattress work and who it works for.
How Firm is the Bear Mattress?
The Bear mattress is about a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, making the mattress medium-firm. This firmness works for most sleeping positions because it falls close to the middle.
What Sleeping Position Does the Bear Mattress Support?
The responsiveness of the Bear mattress makes it a great mattress for all sleeping positions and people who toss and turn. Its firmness is enough to make it a decent mattress for back sleepers and mattress for stomach sleepers, but side sleepers may not like the lack of pressure relief around the hips and shoulders. Read our best mattresses for side sleepers recommendations for better options.
Does the Bear Mattress Sleep Hot?
Bear is a memory foam mattress made with a mix of graphite-infused foam, open-cell foam that provides high airflow, and a celliant cover that absorbs body heat. While memory foam usually sleeps hot, these materials allow Bear to sleep cooler than most but not cooler than innerspring or latex beds.
How Much Weight Does the Bear Mattress Support?
The Bear mattress doesn’t have a set weight limit, but being a memory foam mattress that is only 10 inches thick, it may not be the best choice for heavier sleepers.
What Foundations of Bed Frames Can be Used with Bear?
The Bear mattress is ideally paired with the Bear foundation but will also work just fine with any flat or slatted frame/foundation since it is memory foam. You can also use it right on the floor. Bear does not work well with a traditional box spring, however.
What is the Bear Mattress Made of?
The Bear mattress is a memory foam mattress with four different foam layers that provides cooling comfort, contouring pressure relief, and core support. All foams used in Bear are CertiPUR-US certified for harmful chemicals and emissions.
- Celliant Cover: Made with Celliant technology, this cover absorbs body heat and reflects infrared light, helping your body recover faster.
- Cooling Memory Foam: The top layer uses graphite gel foam with cooling technology and body support.
- Responsive Comfort Foam: This comfort layer uses response foam that adjusts to different sleeping positions.
- Transition Foam: The transition layer of foam adds extra pressure point relief.
- Support Foam: The final support layer is made of high-density support foam that provides strength and durability.
Bear Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||50 lbs.||$748|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||50 lbs.||$811|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||60 lbs.||$873|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||70 lbs.||$998|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||90 lbs.||$1,248|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 10”||90 lbs.||$1,248|
|Split King||76″ x 80″ x 14″||140 lbs.||$1,622|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or Bear mattress coupons. Click below to see the best price for the Bear mattress.
Bear Mattress Unboxing
Bear arrives at your door in a 40” x 20” x 20” box. It took us about 3 minutes to unbox the mattress on our foundation. We recommend doing this with a partner as Bear weighs 70 pounds for a queen size. We did notice an off-gassing odor, so we recommend letting your bed air out before making it up.
Here’s a quick rundown of the crucial purchasing info.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a box, delivered in 4-7 business days|
|Trial Period||120-night trial|
|Warranty||Lifetime limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Bear Mattress Shipping and Delivery
The Bear mattress ships free to the lower 48 states through FedEx, and will be at your door in 4-7 business days. If you live in Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada, there will be a shipping fee. When your mattress arrives at your door, you don’t have to be home to sign for it, unless you would like to.
Bear does offer white glove delivery service and mattress removal for a one-time fee of $150. This fee includes set-up of any bed bases as well.
Bear Mattress Sleep Trial
Bear offers a 120-night risk-free mattress trial starting from the day you receive your mattress. They do ask that you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 nights, as your body may need some time to adjust to the feel and support.
Bear Mattress Warranty
The Bear mattress comes with a lifetime limited warranty. You can read more about the warranty policy here.
Bear Mattress Customer Service
To contact Bear’s customer service either live chat with them on Bear website, call 884-311-0035, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bear Mattress Return Policy
If you’re not completely satisfied within the first 100 days, call the customer service number and Bear will arrange for someone to come pick up the mattress and refund your money in full.
Can I finance my Bear mattress?
Bear has partnered with Affirm to offer easy monthly payment plans over 6, 12, or 18 months. Simply click on the Affirm button at checkout to see if you qualify.
Is there a break-in period for the Bear mattress?
The break in period for the Bear mattress is about 30 days, especially if you’ve been sleeping on a traditional innerspring mattress, this memory foam bed might take some getting used to.
Does Bear offer military discounts?
Bear offers discounts for active duty, veterans, and military families as well as first responders through their partnership with ID.me.
Can I clean my Bear mattress?
Bear recommends spot cleaning your mattress with warm water and mild detergent.
Anything else I should know about Bear?
Bear is dedicated to helping children benefit from sports and physical activity. They donate 1% of every sale to Good Sports Charity.