Beautyrest Black Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
In short: The Beautyrest Black is one of the highest performing luxury hybrids that we’ve tested. It earned high marks in most of our tests, including pressure relief, spine alignment, edge support, cooling, and motion isolation. It comes in three models, with upgrades bringing an even cooler sleeping experience.
Who It Will/Will Not Work for
|Beautyrest Black is best for:||Beautyrest Black may not be best for:|
Simmons Beautyrest is one of those classic trusted brands that has supported healthy sleep for over a century. For luxury mattress shoppers, the Beautyrest Black is the best Beautyrest mattress. With up to five comfort layers and 9” of pocketed coils, this high-end hybrid mattress brings incredible cushion and support.
Want to know how the Beautyrest Black did in our mattress lab testing? We’ll go over the highlights, how it scored, its construction, and purchase information so you know what to expect.
Why we love it:
- You have some choices to make when it comes to the Beautyrest Black. The base model has a medium-firm feel, the Cooling upgrade results in 20% cooler sleep, and the Cooling + Comfort upgrade means cooler sleep and the addition of a plush pillow top.
- No matter which Beautyrest Black model you choose, each comes with BlackICE™ 4.0, a cooling system designed to help you sleep both cooler and longer.
- The Beautyrest Black mattress scored a perfect 10/10 in our spinal alignment test and 9.5/10 in our pressure relief test, making it a great choice for people with back pain or body aches.
- The Beautyrest Black Line is Simmon’s premier mattress line, so these mattresses are made from luxury materials and boast Simmon’s latest innovations.
Check out how the Beautyrest Black did on each test and assessment we conducted in the mattress lab. Every score we award is out of 10, with the final score a weighted average.
Read more about Our Review Process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Beautyrest Black Mattress: 8.9/10⭐
What Works and What Doesn’t
- Great for Couples: Thanks to sturdy BeautyEdge coils, you and your partner can spread out comfortably. And with generous foam layers, the Beautyrest Black minimizes motion transfer, supporting deep, uninterrupted sleep.
- Perfect Spine Alignment: The Beautyrest Black supports a healthy spine in every sleeping position, so you can wake up without new neck or back pain.
- Impressive Pressure Relief: Generous foam layers provide contouring that dissipates excess pressure. This means less pain at pressure points like the shoulders and hips.
- Sleeps Cool: The base Beautyrest Black model sleeps cool thanks to the breathability of the thick coil layers. But if you’re an extra-hot sleeper, you should opt for one of the two cooling upgrades for an even cooler sleeping experience.
- Durability: With 13”–15” of cushion and support, including one of the thickest support layers that we’ve encountered, this mattress is very durable. This durability makes it a good choice for plus-size people.
- Responsiveness: Some people may find it a bit difficult to reposition on the Beautyrest mattress. Because it has thick foam layers, it doesn’t respond as quickly to movement as a traditional innerspring mattress.
- Customer Service: It’s harder to get in touch with a Beautyrest representative than we would expect. They don’t have a live chat feature on their website, nor do they have a general customer service phone number. You must instead wait for an email response.
- Off-Gassing: Because this mattress has thick polyfoam and memory foam layers, it has a slight scent when first unboxed. This odor is common for new memory foam and hybrid mattresses and should fade within a day or two.
If you sleep with a partner, kids, or your furry pet, motion transfer is something you should look out for. When your sleep partner moves throughout the night, the last thing you want is to be awoken by their tossing and turning.
To see how well a mattress limits motion transfer, we conduct two tests. In the first test, we balance a glass of red wine on the mattress and have one of our mattress testers move around on the other side. In the second, our mattress experts lie side-by-side and take turns tossing and turning. They each rate how well the mattress limited motion transfer.
The Beautyrest Black earned a combined score of 9 out of 10 for motion transfer, meaning you will barely be jostled by the movements of your bed partner. This is great news for people who sleep with a partner who’s overly active at night.
Responsiveness is a term that describes how quickly a mattress adapts to your movements. Traditional memory foam mattresses, for instance, are known to have a quicksand feeling that doesn’t allow for ease-of-movement. On the other end of the spectrum are traditional innerspring mattresses whose bouncy feel makes it easy to move around.
The thing is, responsiveness is no longer as simple as mattress type. Some proprietary memory foams are incredibly responsive, while some hybrid mattresses have deeply conforming foam layers that can make you feel stuck. This is why we put every mattress to our responsiveness test. What we do is have our mattress experts change sleeping positions and rate how easy it was to move around and get comfortable in the new position.
Our sleep testers gave the Beautyrest Black a 7/10 for responsiveness. This isn’t a horrible score by any means, but it does tell us that you may feel a slight delay in the mattress materials as you toss and turn. If you’re someone who moves around a lot, this may not be the best fit. But for the average sleeper, this responsiveness should be okay.
Waking up with aches and pains due to your mattress can leave you feeling sore all day, especially if you already suffer from back, neck, or hip pain. If you’re a side sleeper or someone with joint pain, you want a mattress that’s soft enough to relieve pressure from these crucial areas.
We get technical when it comes to pressure relief. We take a pressure mapping film and place it on top of the mattress. Our testers then take turns lying down and we examine the computer-generated pressure film. What we want to see are cool colors—blues and greens. Reds show regions of very high pressure and yellows areas of moderate pressure.
Take a look at the image below. There were no areas of red and only a small yellow region at the hips. These are some of the best results we’ve seen at the Mattress Advisor lab, earning the Beautyrest Black a 9.5/10 for pressure relief.
Your posture is just as important at night while you sleep as it is during the day when you’re walking around or sitting at a desk. Your mattress should keep your spine straight while allowing it to maintain its natural curve.
We have our sleep testers lie on their sides to get a close-up look at their spine alignment. What we want to see is a straight spine from the base to the tip of the spine. The Beautyrest Black did an incredible job keeping the spine in a neutral alignment, earning it a perfect 10/10 for spinal alignment. This is what we want to see when recommending a mattress to someone with back pain.
The Beautyrest Black comes in two firmnesses. The standard mattress is a medium-firm bed with a firmness that falls at a 6 on the 1-10 firmness scale (10 is the firmest). Medium-firm mattresses are preferred by the average sleeper, particularly stomach and back sleepers.
The Cooling + Comfort upgrade boasts an additional layer of gel memory foam for a sumptuous pillow top feel. This mattress’s firmness falls at a 4, or a medium-soft firmness. The additional cushion works best for side sleepers or anyone who finds most mattresses too firm.
Which Sleeping Positions Are Supported
Thanks to two firmness levels, medium-soft and medium-firm, this mattress supports every sleeping position. Most back and stomach sleepers will prefer the medium-firm option, which Beautyrest refers to as their medium mattress. The plush pillow top model is best suited for side sleepers and anyone who requires a softer sleeping surface.
Because this mattress underperformed in our responsiveness test, it may not be the best choice for combination sleepers. The thick layers of comfort foam can make it a bit challenging to move around, and so we recommend taking a look at our list of best mattresses for combination sleepers for some alternative options.
On the Coolness Scale
The baseline Beautyrest Black mattress sleeps cooler than most mattresses. The Beautyrest BlackICE system incorporates cooling technologies throughout the mattress. This includes cooling SilkAIR fibers in the mattress cover, temperature-dispersing gel in the memory foam, and innerspring coils that support airflow.
For extra-hot sleepers, consider opting for the Cooling Upgrade or the Cooling + Comfort Upgrade. Both mattresses sleep 20% cooler than the original Beautyrest Black.
Body Type Support
The Beautyrest Black doesn’t have a set weight limit. That being said, we believe that it’s durable enough for plus-size sleepers. The 9” layer of innerspring coils is much thicker than most other mattresses, delivering sufficient support and durability. In addition, the 4”–6” of foam layers atop the supportive coils provide enough cushion for bigger bodies.
What Type of Bed Frame Should Be Used?
The Beautyrest Black mattress will work with most bed frames, foundations, and bases, including adjustable bases. Beautyrest does recommend that you use a box spring or some other solid surface to lay your mattress on. If using a slatted foundation, the slats should be no more than two inches apart.
How It’s Constructed
The Beautyrest Black is a hybrid mattress that measures between 13” and 15”. There are three versions: the Original, the Cooling Upgrade, and the Cooling + Comfort Upgrade. Here’s a breakdown of each.
The Original Beautyrest
The Original Beautyrest is a medium-firm mattress that measures 13” thick. Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll find inside.
- Comfort Foam (½”): A plush foam that adds an immediate cuddly feel.
- Medium Comfort Foam (1”): Another layer of foam for pressure relief, but this one is slightly firmer to help keep the surface from sagging under your body weight.
- Energy Foam (1 ½”): A medium-firm polyfoam layer delivers extra cushion for heavier sleepers while distributing body weight.
- Gel Memory Foam (½”): A firmer transition foam protects from the steel coils beneath. The gel moves trapped heat away from the mattress surface for a cooler sleeping experience.
- T3 Pocketed Coil Technology (9”): Individually-encased coils deliver give and support, depending upon the level of pressure applied. This layer provides pressure relief, support, and motion isolation. The BeautyEdge reinforced perimeter brings sturdy edges.
The Cooling Upgrade Mattress
The Cooling Upgrade mattress has a layer of RightTemp memory foam. This foam has conductive carbon fibers engineered to make this mattress even cooler than the Original. There are also slight variations in the foam layers.
- Comfort Foam (½”): An identical layer of plush foam as found in the Original.
- Medium Comfort Foam (1”): The same medium firmness foam layer as in the Original.
- RightTemp Memory Foam (1”): Memory foam with cooling conductive carbon fibers for a mattress that’s up to 20% cooler.
- Gel Memory Foam (1”): A thicker layer of cooling gel memory foam to help keep hot sleepers cool.
- T3 Pocketed Coil Technology (9”): The same layer of pocketed steel coils with BeautyEdge support as in the Original.
Cooling + Comfort Upgrade
This mattress is designed to sleep as cool as the Cooling Upgrade model, but with a memory foam pillow top, it’s noticeably softer. This mattress has a medium-soft firmness with a slight cradling feel. At 15”, it’s 2” thicker than the other Beautyrest Black mattresses.
- GelTouch Foam (¾”): An even softer, more enveloping top layer for unparalleled pressure relief and cushion.
- Medium Comfort Foam (1”): An identical medium firmness comfort layer as found in the other two Beautyrest Black models.
- Gel Memory Foam (2”): An even thicker layer of the cooling gel memory foam as found in the other two Black mattresses. This helps keep this mattress cool despite it having thicker foam layers.
- RightTemp Memory Foam (1”): The same carbon-fiber-infused memory foam as in the Cooling upgrade for excellent temperature regulation.
- Medium Comfort Foam (1”): An additional layer of the medium comfort foam for a distinctly softer and more cradling feel.
- T3 Pocketed Coil Technology (9”): The same layer of individually-encased coils as found in the other Beautyrest Black models.
Beautyrest Black Sizes and Cost
|Twin XL||80” x 38” x 13”/15”||60–76 lbs.||$1,849–$2,549|
|Full||75” x 53” x 13”/15”||84–97 lbs.||$2,129–$2,829|
|Queen||80” x 60” x 13”/15”||104–123 lbs.||$2,299–$3,099|
|King||80” x 76” x 13”/15”||133–156 lbs.||$2,799–$3,799|
|Cal King||84” x 72” x 13”/15”||140–162 lbs.||$2,799–$3,799|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Beautyrest Black mattress.
Setting up the Mattress
Every Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress comes with complimentary White Glove Delivery, so you won’t need to set it up! Instead, a Simmons representative will do that for you at a pre-scheduled date and time. Expect a mild off-gassing odor that should fade within a day or two.
Here’s what you can expect when you buy a new Beautyrest mattress online.
|Delivery||Free delivery; arrives in 5–14 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Free Shipping With White Glove Delivery
The Beautyrest Black mattress comes standard with free white glove delivery anywhere in the contiguous United States. With white glove delivery, a Simmons representative will deliver, carry, unbox, and set up the mattress for you. If you have an old mattress that you don’t want, they can also dispose of it.
Currently, Simmons does not ship to Alaska or Hawaii.
Trying Out the Mattress
You have 100 nights to try the Beautyrest Black mattress. If you decide that it isn’t the right fit for you during the 100-night trial, you can return it for a full refund. Just contact Simmons Beautyrest at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
The 100-night trial is the most common sleep trial that you’ll find. However, one thing makes this policy stand out. Unlike most companies that require you to wait 30 days before initiating a return, Simmons will accept your return at any time during the trial period. We do recommend giving your new mattress at least 2–4 weeks before deciding for or against it. This gives your body time to adjust to the unfamiliar sleeping surface.
10 Years of Warranty Coverage
The Beautyrest Black comes with a 10-year limited warranty. This warranty covers defects in materials or errors in workmanship. One of the more common warranty claims for beds with generous foam layers is for body indentations. You’re covered once there’s an indentation greater than 1.5”.
To submit a warranty claim, contact Beautyrest’s warranty inquiry department. You may call them at 877-399-9397 or email them at email@example.com.
How To Get in Touch With the Company
It’s much harder to get in touch with Beautyrest than with the majority of other mattress brands. While they do have a contact us page with detailed information on which department to contact for what, they only provide an email for orders on their website. This email is firstname.lastname@example.org. When we’ve had questions, we’ve received an email response within one business day.
Returning Your Beautyrest Black
If you decide to return the Beautyrest Black during the 100-night trial period, send them an email at email@example.com. They will send a representative to your home to pick up the mattress. After it’s been picked up, you can expect to see a refund shortly on your original form of payment.
Is It the Right Mattress For You?
The Beautyrest Black is a high-quality hybrid mattress. You can feel its luxuriant construction when you lie on its surface. The generous foam layers bring ample pressure relief, while the pocketed coils keep the body impressively well aligned.
When we tested this mattress at our in-house lab, what impressed us most was how well it supported healthy spine alignment paired with nearly perfect pressure relief. There are few mattresses that we’ve found that do such a good job in both of these tests, which tells us that this is one of the best mattresses for people with body aches and pains.
The base Black model has a universal medium-firm feel, the preferred firmness of the average sleeper. And if you want a softer feel, there’s a Cooling + Comfort upgrade that adds even more cushion without sacrificing support. These multiple options make this mattress work for every sleeping position and body size.
While the Beautyrest Black is an excellent mattress, it’s not perfect for everyone. Because of its thick top foam layers, it’s not as responsive as some mattresses. For a hybrid mattress that’s a bit easier to move around on, we recommend the Brooklyn Aurora mattress. And if the Black is out of your budget, the Helix mattresses bring high-quality at a more affordable price.
Comparing the Mattress
The Beautyrest Black vs Other Hybrid Mattresses
There are a lot of things that distinguish the Beautyrest Black from other hybrid mattresses. The biggest differentiator is that the Beautyrest Black is one of the most luxurious hybrid beds around. This is reflected by its 13”–15” height, which is far thicker than the more common 10” thickness, and by its performance in the Mattress Advisor lab. It earned high marks in nearly all of our tests, demonstrating its high-quality construction.
While the Beautyrest Black is one of the nicest hybrids around, it comes with a fitting price point. Starting at $2,299 for a queen-size mattress, it’s more expensive than your average hybrid mattress.
The Beautyrest Black vs Other Beautyrest Mattresses
The Beautyrest Black is Beautyrest’s highest-end mattress. This means a more opulent feel, but also a higher price point. Here’s how it compares to each of their mattresses.
The Beautyrest Black vs The Beautyrest Black Hybrid
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid, also known as the Beautyrest Hybrid, has a similar construction as the Beautyrest Black. They’re both hybrid mattresses with base models around 13”, but the Beautyrest Hybrid is a medium firmness and the Beautyrest Black Original a medium-firm bed. Both offer upgrades for additional cooling potential and added softness.
During our in-house testing, the Beautyrest Black outperformed the Beautyrest Hybrid in our tests for pressure relief and spine alignment. This makes it superior for most people with body aches or pains. The Beautyrest Black Hybrid was more responsive and slightly cooler, so it’s better for sleepers who toss and turn and hot sleepers.
Read more about the Beautyrest Black Hybrid.
The Beautyrest Black vs the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon
The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon mattress is another luxury hybrid mattress. Both it and the standard Beautyrest Black are 13” thick, offering plenty of cushion and support for every sleeper, no matter their body size or sleeping position. They both offer a supple pillow top for an extra fee.
While there are many similarities between these beds, there are also noteworthy differences. To start, the Harmony Lux Carbon bed is much less expensive than the Beautyrest Black. It also comes in three firmnesses at its standard price point, while the Beautyrest Black comes in just one.
The Beautyrest Black outperformed the Harmony Lux Carbon in our pressure relief and spine alignment tests. These results make it a better choice for people with back, neck, hip, or shoulder pain. However, the Harmony Lux Carbon has a more responsive surface, so it’s an excellent choice for combination sleepers and those who toss and turn.
Interested in the Harmony Lux Carbon? See how it performed in our Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon mattress review.
The Beautyrest Black vs the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond
The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond mattress has a slightly lower price point than the Beautyrest Black. Both are high-end hybrid beds with generous comfort layers and supportive pocketed coils.
The Lux Diamond has even thicker foam layers, making it a good mattress for people who love an ultra-soft and conforming feel. The Beautyrest Black has a more balanced feel where you won’t feel like you’re sinking into plush foam. The average sleeper will prefer the medium-firm feel of the Black.
Check out our Harmony Lux Diamond mattress review for more info.
The Beautyrest Black vs the Beautyrest Harmony
The Harmony is Beautyrest’s most affordable mattress while the Black is their most expensive. However, they’re both hybrid mattresses with a similar thickness that come in multiple firmness options. Go with the Beautyrest Black if you want to spend more money on a more luxurious feel, or the Harmony if you want a high-quality mattress at a budget-friendly price.
What makes Simmons Beautyrest unique?
Simmons Beautyrest is one of the oldest mattress companies around; their mattresses were on the Titanic, were endorsed by Eleanor Roosevelt, and they were the first company to make queen and king mattresses.
Where can I buy the Beautyrest Black mattress?
You can find Simmons Beautyrest mattresses all over. They’re sold in countless mattress retailers, on the Beautyrest website, and on other companies’ websites. Keep in mind that your sleep trial is going to vary based upon where you buy the mattress.
What should I do if I spill something on the Beautyrest Black?
The best thing to do is to preemptively protect your mattress with a waterproof mattress protector. This allows for easy and thorough cleaning. Otherwise, you’ll need to spot clean with a mild detergent. Know that a spill may void your sleep trial and warranty.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.