Beautyrest Hybrid Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
The long and short: The Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattress is a high-end mattress that excelled in the Mattress Advisor lab. It cushions pressure points, supports healthy spine alignment, and provides a cool sleep environment. With sturdy edges and excellent motion isolation properties, it’s a good mattress for couples and those who sleep with kids.
Who Will It Work For
|Beautyrest Black Hybrid is best for:||Beautyrest Black Hybrid may not be best for:|
The classic brand, Simmons Beautyrest, has revamped their mattress models and introduced the new and improved Simmons Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattress, also known as the Beautyrest Hybrid.
Want to see how this bed fared in our lab testing? We’ll cover the Beautyrest Hybrid Mattress Advisor score, mattress highlights, product information, frequently asked questions, and anything else you need to know.
Our Favorite Aspects:
- The Beautyrest Hybrid comes in three mattress options. The Original has a medium firmness, the Comfort Upgrade a medium-soft feel, and the Comfort + Pressure Relief a soft firmness.
- No more rolling over to find the cool side of the bed. Thanks to BlackICE Hybrid Technology that incorporates cooling innovations throughout the mattress, every part of the sleeping surface is refreshingly cool, even more so than many other hybrid mattresses.
- Thanks to a generous layer of steel coils, the Beautyrest Black Hybrid has the responsiveness of innerspring mattresses. And with thick foam layers, it also boasts the pressure relief common of memory foam mattresses.
- Beautyrest offers free white glove delivery. This includes both new mattress setup and old mattress disposal! Now that makes buying a new bed a breeze.
Let’s see how the Beautyrest Hybrid did on each assessment and test we conducted in our mattress lab. Each score awarded is out of 10 with a final MA weighted score. Read more about Our Review Process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Beautyrest Black Hybrid Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
Beautyrest Black Hybrid Performance Highlights
- Sturdy Edges: You don’t want to roll off of your mattress when you sleep. Thanks to robust coils along the mattress perimeter, you can comfortably sleep on the edge. You can also sit there and put on your shoes without having to balance.
- Excellent Motion Isolation: The Beautyrest Black Hybrid has very thick foam comfort layers that dampen motion. When combined with pocketed coils that move independently, you’re unlikely to be disturbed when your partner moves about.
- Sleeps Cool: Beautyrest’s BlackICE Hybrid technology incorporates cooling innovations throughout the mattress. This means a bed that’s cool enough for most hot sleepers.
- Very Durable: Durability means a mattress that’s likely to last for 10+ years, and with 9.5” of sturdy coils, the Black Hybrid is quite durable. A durable mattress benefits plus-size people by offering reliable support all night long.
- Good for Aches and Pains: By supporting healthy spinal alignment and minimizing pressure at pressure points, this mattress is good for people with hip, shoulder, neck, or lower back pain.
- Responsive Feel: Very few mattresses with this many foam layers are easy to move around on, but the Beautyrest Black Hybrid is an exception. Thanks to proprietary foams and springy coils, you won’t feel stuck when you lie down.
- Off-Gassing Odor: Because of this mattress’s thick foam layers, it’s likely to have a slight odor for a day or two.
- Limited Customer Service: There is no live chat or phone number for general inquiries. Instead, you must send an email and wait for a response.
- Doesn’t Donate Returned Mattresses: Most mattress brands donate returned mattresses, but when we asked Beautyrest what they do with theirs, they said that they have them sent to a recycling center.
A mattress with good edge support is crucial if you often find yourself sleeping on the edge of the bed or if you like to sit on the edge to put on your shoes in the morning. A mattress that lacks edge support might make you feel as if you’ll fall off the side as you move through the night.
We conduct two tests to evaluate how sturdy and usable the edges are. In the first, our mattress testers sit on the edge to put on their shoes. In the second, they lie on their backs, stomachs, and sides right along the edge of the bed. What we want to see is an edge that’s comfortable and sturdy.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid excelled in both of our tests, earning it a 9 out of 10 for edge support. This is thanks to BeautyEdge® technology, a region of ultra-durable coils around the mattress perimeter. Solid edge support allows couples to spread out, so we like this mattress for couples.
Motion transfer is an important factor to look for if you sleep with a partner, pet, or child. The last thing anyone wants is for a restless sleeper or midnight bathroom breaks to wake up their sleep partner.
Testing motion isolation is pretty straightforward. We have our mattress experts take their positions on the mattress, one next to the other. They then take turns tossing and turning, while the other one sees how much movement they feel. We then swap out one of the testers with a full glass of red wine and repeat, seeing how much jiggle there is in the wine.
The Beautyrest Hybrid performed well in both of these tests, earning it a 9 out of 10 for motion transfer. With pocketed coils that don’t spread motion from one coil to the next paired with motion-dampening foam layers, we weren’t too surprised to see such good results.
Did you know that your body changes temperature at night? As you slumber away, your body naturally gets cooler as you slip into deep sleep. If your mattress and comforter trap too much body heat, it stops your body from reaching the ideal temperature. This is when you wake up hot and sweaty, kicking off the blankets before getting back to it.
But there’s a better way. Instead of having your sleep interrupted, you can purchase a mattress that sleeps cool. The idea is that you want a mattress that disposes of body heat over the night. The Beautyrest Black Mattress has cooling innovations incorporated throughout the bed to keep hot sleepers cool. Gel-infused foam, cooling fibers, and breathable innerspring coils help you sleep soundly and wake up fresh and clean.
There are three Beautyrest Balck Hybrid mattress models that vary in their firmness levels. Here’s how firm each of the mattresses are on the 1-10 firmness scale, with 1 being extra-soft and 10 rock-hard.
- Black Hybrid Original: Medium (5)
- Black Hybrid Comfort Upgrade: Medium-soft (4)
- Black Hybrid Comfort + Pressure Relief Upgrade: Soft (3)
Most sleepers prefer a medium-firm mattress. But lightweight sleepers and side sleepers tend to do best on softer mattresses. Even some back and stomach sleepers enjoy the extra cushion that comes with a medium firmness mattress.
Is It Right for Your Preferred Sleeping Position
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattress is best for side and back sleepers. Every model is softer than the average mattress, bringing excellent pressure relief that benefits side sleepers. And back sleepers who find most beds too firm will enjoy the combination of innerspring support and ample memory foam layers.
Most stomach sleepers are going to do better on a firmer mattress. Firmer support keeps the hips from sinking in, a common problem for people who sleep on their stomachs. However, lightweight stomach sleepers may enjoy the balanced feel of the Hybrid Original. And if you sleep in multiple positions? The Beautyrest is easy to move around on, so it’s good for combination sleepers who move around a lot at night.
Does It Sleep Cool?
Beautyrest took no shortcuts when it came to incorporating cooling technology into the Beautyrest Black Hybrid. Cooling gel infusion and breathable open-cell foams keep the sleeping surface cool, while airflow through the thick coil layer supports cool sleep. All-in-all, this is an excellent mattress for hot sleepers.
Which Body Types Are Supported?
Beautyrest doesn’t have set weight limits for their mattresses. They explain that their beds are designed with sufficient durability for people of all body weights. That said, most plus-size people need a medium-firm or firmer mattress to keep from sinking in too far and becoming uncomfortable.
Because the Beautyrest Black Hybrid is softer than most beds and has generous foam layers, we recommend it primarily to people who weigh less than 230 pounds. Its ultra-soft comfort layers are particularly well suited for lightweight people who find most mattresses too hard.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattress must be supported by a sturdy base. This can include a newer box spring that’s in good condition, a slatted base with slats no more than 2” apart, adjustable bases, or a platform bed frame.
A Look At Construction
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattress is made from multiple layers of memory foam, polyfoam, and a supportive base on innerspring coils. There are three models, so the exact construction varies from one model to the next. Each option boasts Beautyrest’s ContourFit for a hugging feel and BlackICE Technology for cool sleep.
Beautyrest Black Hybrid Original
The Original Beautyrest Hybrid contains a generous 13.5” of springs and memory foam layers. It has a medium firmness level. Here’s what’s inside.
- RightTemp Memory Foam (1”): A top layer of pressure-relieving memory foam that cradles the body. This layer includes cooling innovations to help keep you from overheating.
- Beautyrest Gel Memory Foam (2”): Deeply contouring memory foam with cooling gel to remove heat from the mattress surface.
- Firm Comfort Foam (1”): A firm polyfoam minimizes sagging and safeguards the body from the feel of the innerspring coil system below.
- T3 Pocketed Coil Technology (9.5”): A thick support system made from pocketed coils. These coils move independently from one another, ensuring targeted support along the body. Sturdy BeautyEdge coils make the edges secure and comfortable.
Beautyrest Black Hybrid Comfort Upgrade
Beautyrest swaps out the middle comfort layers with marshmallow-y memory foam for a softer feel. This mattress has a medium-soft firmness.
- RightTemp Memory Foam (1”): The same hugging memory foam as in the Original for ample cushion at the pressure points.
- AirCool Memory Foam (1.5”): A medium-soft memory foam brings a plush softness for a cloud-like feel. The open-cell design supports airflow for a cool night’s sleep.
- AirCool Memory Foam (1.5”): A second layer of the lavish foam that closely contours to the body’s curves.
- T3 Pocketed Coil Technology (9.5”): The same pocketed coils as in the Original for balanced support.
Beautyrest Black Hybrid Comfort + Pressure Relief Upgrade
An additional foam layer is utilized to provide a lavish, cloud-like feel. This mattress measures 15” thick and has a soft firmness.
- RightTemp Memory Foam (1”): The same plush comfort foam that’s found in the other Beautyrest models.
- AirCool Memory Foam (1.5”): An identical deeply conforming and cooling memory foam as is in the Comfort Upgrade.
- Beautyrest Gel Memory Foam (1.5”): Another layer of pressure-relieving memory foam for an experience that’s closer to sleeping “in” the mattress than “on” it.
- Self Response Latex (1.5”): A synthetic latex that adds buoyancy without too much firmness.
- T3 Pocketed Coil Technology (9.5”): The same thick layer of individually-encased coils for support, pressure relief, and motion isolation.
Sizes and Prices
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13.5”–15”||59–78 lbs.||$2,149–$2,949|
|Full||53” x 75” x 13.5”–15”||75–99 lbs.||$2,429–$3,229|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13.5”–15”||98–127 lbs.||$2,599–$3,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 13.5”–15”||150–185 lbs.||$3,099–$3,899|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13.5”–15”||155–190 lbs.||$3,099–$3,899|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Beautyrest Hybrid mattress.
Unboxing the Mattress
Beautyrest mattresses come with free white glove delivery, so a representative will set up your new mattress and remove your old one. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Let’s take a look at what you can expect when you buy a new mattress from Beautyrest.
|Delivery||Free white glove delivery|
|Trial Period||100-night sleep trial|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Beautyrest Offers Free White Glove Delivery
Beautyrest mattresses are delivered for free within the continental United States. As of this time, they do not ship their beds to Hawaii or Alaska. You will set up a time and date with Beautyrest for complimentary white glove delivery. A Beautyrest representative then does all of the work for you, setting up your new mattress and disposing of your old one. Most deliveries occur in 5–14 business days.
100-Night Sleep Trial
The Beautyrest Balck Hybrid comes with the industry-standard 100-night sleep trial period. From the day your mattress is delivered, you have 100 nights to test it out. You want to pay attention to how well you’re sleeping and how your body is feeling when you wake up.
While Beautyrest doesn’t have a waiting period like most mattress brands, we still recommend that you give it a try for at least two weeks before deciding if it is or isn’t a good fit.
10 Years of Protection
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid is protected by their 10-year warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship. If you have an issue that you believe may be covered by the warranty, contact Beautyrest’s warranty department. Their email is firstname.lastname@example.org and their number is 877-399-9397.
Getting in Touch
You can only contact Beautyrest customer service by emailing them at email@example.com. We typically received a response within one business day. Our qualm with Beautyrest customer care is that they don’t have a live chat feature or phone number, so there’s no way to receive immediate assistance.
How To Initiate a Return
Beautyrest’s return policy is straightforward. If you decide the Beautyrest Black Hybrid isn’t the best mattress for you, simply contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org during your 100-night trial period. They’ll help organize a return, which includes having someone come to your door to pick up the mattress and take it to a recycling center. After that’s occurred, you’ll receive a refund.
Is This the Right Mattress for You?
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid is a luxury mattress that’s great for soft mattress lovers. It comes in three firmness options that range from soft to medium, with thick layers of foam that bring incredible pressure relief.
When we tested this mattress at the Mattress Advisor lab, it earned an 8/10 or higher in every category that influences the feel and sleeping experience. It sleeps cool, minimizes motion transfer, has stable edges, and is easy to move around on. And by supporting proper spinal alignment and cushioning pressure points, it’s a wonderful mattress for people with body aches and pains.
Because each of the three firmnesses of the Black Hybrid are softer than most mattresses, we don’t recommend this mattress to firm mattress lovers or heavy people. Most stomach sleepers, too, are better supported on a firmer sleeping surface. If you fall into any of these categories, take a look at the Spartan mattress. It’s also a hybrid bed that excelled at the mattress lab, but it comes in a firmer feel.
See How It Stacks Up
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid vs Other Hybrid Mattresses
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid is more extravagant than the average hybrid bed. With between 13.5” and 15” of sumptuous foams and responsive pocketed coils, this mattress has a distinctly high-end feel. Each of its three firmness options is softer than your average mattress, so this bed is great for soft mattress lovers.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid vs Other Beautyrest Mattresses
Beautyrest has a line of five luxury hybrid mattresses. Here’s how the Beautyrest Black Hybrid compares to their other beds.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid vs The Beautyrest Black
The Beautyrest Black is Beautyrest’s highest-end mattress designed for exceptionally cool sleep. While the base Black model isn’t as cool as the Beautyrest Black Hybrid, the two cooling upgrades are even better for hot sleepers than the Black Hybrid. While both come with luxury price tags, the Black Hybrid is more affordable.
Another big difference between these two beds is their firmness. The Black Hybrid comes in a soft, medium-soft, and medium firmness. The Black is a bit firmer, with the standard mattress having a medium-firm feel.
We tested both of these beds in the mattress lab, and each earned nearly universal high scores. However, the Black Hybrid is a bit easier to move around on, the Black offered slightly superior spinal alignment and pressure relief.
Take a look at our Beautyrest Black mattress review.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid vs the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon
Both the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon and the Black Hybrid are luxury hybrid mattresses. The primary difference between the two is that the Black Hybrid contains Beautyrest’s most recent mattress innovations. This difference makes the Black Hybrid cost more than the Harmony Lux Carbon.
Another difference between the two is firmness. The Harmony Lux Carbon baseline model comes in three firmnesses: plush, medium, and extra-firm. This makes the Lux mattress better for people who prefer a firm feel. The softest Black Hybrid ultra-plush version is even softer than the Lux, making it the best option for anyone looking for a cloud-like feel.
Learn more in our Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon mattress review.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid vs the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond
The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond is another premium hybrid mattress with a price point slightly lower than that of the Black Hybrid. Both of these mattresses come in similar firmnesses, which makes them both good choices for people who prefer soft beds.
Because the Harmony Lux Diamond is even thicker than the Black Hybrid, it offers a deeper hugging memory foam feel. While this cradling feel can be luxurious, it also makes it harder to move around, so the Black Hybrid is better for people who toss and turn at night. On the other side, this thick foam delivers even better motion isolation than the Black Hybrid. The Black Hybrid does sleep just a tad cooler.
Read our Harmony Lux Diamond mattress review for more information.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid vs the Beautyrest Harmony
The Beautyrest Harmony is a budget-friendly hybrid mattress that still feels quite opulent. The Beautyrest Black Hybrid is a more upscale mattress, which also means it’s more expensive.
While both mattresses come in multiple firmnesses, the Harmony has an extra-firm mattress and the Black Hybrid an ultra-plush bed. This makes the Harmony a better fit for stomach sleepers, heavy people, and firm mattress lovers, and the Black Hybrid better for side sleepers and soft mattress fans.
Can I find the Beautyrest Hybrid Black at local retailers?
Yes! Beautyrest mattresses are found all across the contiguous United States, so you can try them out at a retail store. Just keep in mind that the sleep trial at in-person stores tends to be less generous than when you buy a mattress online, so you may still want to buy this bed online.
Should I rotate the Beautyrest mattress?
We recommend rotating mattresses with thick foam layers from head-to-foot once every six months. This increases the longevity of a mattress.
Does Beautyrest use CertiPUR-US Certified foam?
Yes, they do. This certification means your mattress is free from heavy metals, chemical flame retardants, prohibited phthalates, and formaldehyde. It also must meet low VOC emissions standards for indoor air quality.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.