BedInABox Azul Mattress
BedInABox Azul Mattress
✔️Last updated: September 2022
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.9/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.5/10|
|✔️Type: Gel Memory Foam|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️120-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️20-Year Limited Warranty|
All in all: The BedInABox Azul mattress is a moderately priced gel memory foam mattress that is ideal for side sleepers, hot sleepers, and those with back pain. The medium-soft firmness level probably won’t adequately support stomach sleepers, but you can see for yourself during the 120 night trial period.
Who Is It Right/Not Right For?
|BedInABox Azul is best for:||BedInABox Azul may not be best for:|
BedInABox is—you guess it—a bed-in-a-box mattress company that’s been designing and manufacturing mattresses and other sleep essentials in the USA since 2004. The Azul mattress includes special cooling features and a medium-soft feel that gives your pressure points extra love. In this review, we’ll walk you through our in-house experience with the Azul mattress to help you decide if it’s right for you.
The best of:
- The Azul mattress is a cooling memory foam mattress made by BedInABox.
- Temperature-Regulating: The Azul mattress packs in phase change materials (PCMs) that are designed to regulate your body temperature. When you’re too hot, the PCMs absorb your body heat; when you’re too cold, they release that heat back to you.
- 20-Year Warranty: BedInABox protects their Azul mattress for twice as long as most mattress companies.
- Made in the USA: BedInABox mattresses are manufactured in North Carolina, whereas a lot of competitor mattresses are made overseas.
- CertiPUR-US Certified: BedInABox also makes their own foams, and they’re certified for low emissions, durability, and the absence of toxic chemicals.
A Look Inside the Lab
Want to see us roll around on the Azul mattress while trying not to spill a glass of wine? Watch our video review!
Next we’ll cover how the Azul mattress scored on our lab tests and evaluations. Curious about our review process? Learn more here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the BedInABox Azul Mattress: 8.5/10⭐
The Pros and the Cons
- Spine Alignment is just a fancy way of saying good posture. Believe it or not, posture is just as important while sleeping as it is while you’re working or scrolling on your phone. The Azul mattress does an amazing job of keeping your back aligned all night.
- Cooling Features are a major plus for memory foam mattresses, since they typically aren’t known for their airflow and breathability. We found the phase change technology in the Azul to be extremely effective, thus our 9/10 score for cooling.
- Edge Support is an underrated mattress feature, but it’s important if you plan to sit or lie near the bed. Our testers felt comfortable and secure while both sitting and lying on the edge of the Azul mattress, so we gave it an 8.25/10 for edge support.
- You may notice a minimal off-gassing smell that should go away within a few hours.
- We gave the Azul mattress only an average score for responsiveness, meaning it does a decent job of responding to your movements, but it may not be quick enough for some combo sleepers.
Motion transfer is often a top priority for couples, who may go so far as to buy a split king mattress to avoid feeling their partner move around at night. The Azul mattress does a moderate job of isolating motion from one side of the bed to another.
How do we know? First, we ask a tester to roll around next to a glass of red wine on the mattress. Fortunately, we only noticed a slight movement in the wine, and the glass stayed pretty darn still. Second, we replaced the glass of wine with another person. Our testers noted that they felt some movement, so we gave the Azul a total score of 7.75/10.
For our pressure relief test, we put a pressure map on top of the Azul mattress and asked our testers to lie on the bed in different positions. We look for low pressure particularly around the shoulders, hips, and thighs. We noticed only the slightest bit of high pressure near our first tester’s thighs, so we gave the Azul an 8.25/10 for pressure relief.
Our spine alignment assessment tells us how well a mattress keeps your back straight from tailbone to neck. Ideally, we’ll see a perfectly straight line, which means your body weight is evenly distributed across the mattress surface. We took a picture of our testers’ backs while on their sides and discovered that both were a hair shy of a straight line, so we gave the Azul mattress a near-perfect 9.5/10 for spine alignment.
The Azul mattress has a medium-soft firmness level, so you can expect to sink a little deeper into the mattress. Medium-soft mattresses are best for those with lightweight or average body types, since heavier-weight sleepers may sink too far into the top layers of the mattress.
What Sleeping Positions Does It Support?
We recommend the Azul mattress particularly for side sleepers. It’s also a good fit for lightweight back sleepers who like to sleep “in” the mattress rather than “on top” of it. Medium-soft mattresses are not the best fit for stomach sleepers, since they need more support that is commonly found in medium-firm and firm mattresses.
Does It Stay Cool?
The Azul mattress is exceptionally cool for a memory foam bed. The knit cover is woven with “UltraCool Technology” (phase change materials) that effectively regulate your temperature, so you’re not too hot or too cold.
BedInABox says that they have no weight limits for any of their memory foam mattresses.
What Bed Frames Are Compatible?
The Azul mattress should be stored on a flat, solid foundation or bed frame. BedInABox recommends using one of their foundations or adjustable beds made specifically for memory foam mattresses. Most box springs aren’t going to provide enough support, so if you want to avoid sagging, we advise against them for this bed.
A Look at Mattress Construction
The Azul is a multi-layer foam bed with a cooling cover.
- Knit Cover: A soft, breathable polyester cover with an “Ultra Cool Layer” of phase change materials.
- Comfort layer: 3” of gel-infused adaptive memory foam that provides pressure relief.
- Transition layer: 2” of “Pluralux” transitional foam.
- Support Layer: 6” of “Sure Align” high-density support foam.
Affordability and Size
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the BedInABox Azul mattress.
What’s Unboxing Like?
The Azul mattress is delivered compressed and rolled up in a box. The whole unboxing process took us about 2 1/2 minutes. There was quite a bit of packaging to remove, and it was on the heavy side, so you may want to enlist a friend to help you. We only noticed a slight new-mattress odor that went away quickly.
Here’s all of the info you need to know for buying your Azul mattress.
|Trial Period||120 night sleep trial|
|Warranty||20 year warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
Shipping is Free
The Azul mattress is shipped for free within the lower 48 states. There is an extra fee for deliveries to Alaska, Hawaii, and APO addresses. BedInABox doesn’t offer white glove delivery or old mattress removal.
Try It for 120-Nights
BedInABox gives you a 120 night sleep trial to get the feel of your new mattress. This is a little longer than the typical 100 night trial period, but you’ll need to wait 60 days before requesting a return (normally you only need to wait 30 days max).
Sleep Soundly for 20 Years
All BedInABox mattresses come with a 20-year limited warranty for the original owner of the mattress. The warranty covers indentations in the mattress that are deeper than 1” during the first five years and deeper than 1.25” during years 6–20.
If you notice a defect, reach out to customer service by calling 800–588–5720. You’ll get free repairs or a replacement mattress during the first 10 years of the warranty, and a replacement mattress for a prorated cost during years 11–20.
The Customer Service Team
You can reach BedInABox customer service by calling 800–588–5720, emailing them from the BedInABox website, or chatting with a live rep on the website. Their customer service hours are Monday-Friday, 8AM–5PM EST.
How to Return Your Mattress
If you’re not feeling the Azul mattress, you can return it for a full refund within the 120-day trial period. Reach out to the customer service team to get the ball rolling. Also, make sure you order the right size mattress, since BedInABox doesn’t accept returns on incorrect mattress size orders.
Note: Mattresses bought on Amazon may have a different return policy.
Should You Buy It?
We think that side sleepers and hot sleepers are the best match for the Azul mattress. If you’re a stomach sleeper, we recommend a firmer mattress like the Leesa mattress. The Leesa also does a better job of isolating motion, if you’re a couple concerned about disruptions.
How It Compares
The Azul mattress is generally cooler and softer than other similar memory foam mattresses. It also has a longer warranty period. For example, the Casper mattress earned a 7/10 for cooling and has a 10 year warranty. It’s also a medium-firm mattress, which suits a wider range of sleeping positions. The Loom & Leaf mattress by Saatva got a 7.5/10 for cooling and has a 15 year warranty. It’s offered in two firmness levels: relaxed firm and firm.
Q. How do I clean my mattress cover?
A. Spot clean with a mild household fabric cleaner, and use a waterproof mattress protector.
Q. How long can I keep my mattress in the box?
A. No longer than 30 days.
Q. Do I need to flip the BedInABox Azul mattress?
A. No, but rotating your mattress every six months helps it to break in more evenly.