Hybrid: latex, innerspring and foam
20-year limited warranty
Hybrid mattress designed to provide quality support for individuals with a bigger figure
Big Fig highlights
- The Big Fig is designed specifically to meet the needs of sleepers with a bigger figure. It can support up to 1000 lbs. of weight for couples or up to 500 lbs. for a single sleeper.
- You will receive a custom-made foundation with the purchase of any Big Fig mattress that is designed to support larger amounts of weight.
- The top layer of the Big Fig is treated with an innovative ThermoGel which converts moisture from perspiration into a refrigerant, immediately cooling the surface.
Mattress Advisor score for the Big Fig
Here’s how the Big Fig mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. We break down the scores so you can see how the Big Fig mattress performed on specific tests and evaluations.
8.7 / 10
Big Fig mattress review
Take a deeper look into our review of the Big Fig mattress, including our methodology, scoring and mattress performance to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
Set up test
The Big Fig mattress and base was delivered at full size. Although this mattress was a bit heavy, it is manageable to handle with two people. Big Fig does offer white glove delivery for an additional fee of $99. If you opt for their white glove service, Big Fig will do all the heavy lifting. All you’ll have to do is open the door.
So for ease of set-up the Big Fig scored a 7.5 out of 10.
Motion Transfer Test
Motion transfer may sound like a fancy mattress term, but it’s really just the amount of movement you feel if you’re sleeping partner gets up or changes positions in the middle of the night. You’ll want this to be pretty minimal.
Part A - The Humans
The Mattress Advisor motion transfer test is a two-part test. We start by asking both Mark and Tavy to lie on the bed, blindfolded, and rate on a scale from 1 to 10 how much movement they felt when their partner was moving around with 10 being no movement at all.
According to our sleep subjects, Mark and Tavy, the Big Fig rocked at keeping motion transfer to a minimum. They scored it a 9.25 out of 10.
Part B - The Wine
Next, comes our wine test. This is great visual indicator of how much motion is being transferred from one side of the bed to another.
We had Tavy lie down and roll back and forth a few times. We then took a look at how much the wine inside of the glass moved.
That wine was seriously still! We scored it a 9.75 out of 10 for our wine test. That might be the best score a mattress has ever received for our wine test. Kudos to you, Big Fig.
So for the total motion transfer score, the Big Fig scored a 9.5 out of 10.
Edge Support Test
When choosing a mattress, you may not think to consider how much support the edge provides. But if you find yourself sleeping on the edge of your bed or use the end to get ready in the morning, you should definitely consider how much edge support the bed provides.
The Mattress Advisor edge support test is a two-part test.
Part A - The Shoe Test
To start, we asked both Mark and Tavy to sit on the edge of the bed to tie their shoes. They rated this task on a scale from one to ten, with 10 being “extremely easy, with exceptional edge support.”
The Big Fig scored a 7.5 for the edge shoe test. Mark and Tavy noted a slight sag on the edge of the mattress as they tied their shoes.
Part B - The Side Test
Next, we had Mark and Tavy lie on the edge of the bed in each sleeping position, side, stomach and back, to see if they could sleep comfortably in that section of the bed.
Mark and Tavy found the edge of the Big Fig to be safe and secure. They said it “felt very supportive – like it was relieving pressure.” So for the edge support side, the Big Fig scored an 8.75.
So for the total edge support score, the Big Fig scores an 8.1.
Pessure Relief Test
When shopping for a mattress, you’ll want to find something that puts minimal pressure on your hips, thighs and shoulders. Let’s take a look at how well the Big Fig Bed provides pressure relief.
We measure pressure relief by using a pressure mapping film that shows areas of high pressure. Here’s what you need to know: the cool spots are good and the warms spots are bad. The warmer the color, the more pressure is being placed on that area of the body.
We saw some yellow and red around Mark’s hip, indicating an area of high pressure. So we gave him a 7.5. For pressure relief.
Although we saw no red in Tavy, there was a fair amount of yellow in her shoulder and hip. We gave her an 8 out of 10 for pressure relief!
So for the total pressure relief score, the Big Fig gets a 7.75.
Spine Alignment Test
Did you know your sleeping posture is just as important as your posture when you are awake? For every mattress we test, we take a look at how well it keeps your spine in a straight line.
We took a close up of both Mark and Tavy’s backs to see the alignment. You’ll want to see a straight line from the neck all the way to the tailbone.
The Big Fig did a decent job of keeping both Mark and Tavy’s spines in alignment. There was only a slight curve towards the base of their neck.
So for spine alignment, we give the Big Fig an 8.
Responsiveness is just a fancy way of saying how well the mattress adjusts or responds to your sleeping positions while you sleep. This becomes important when considering how quickly and easily you get comfortable when moving around.
We had Mark and Tavy lie in each sleeping position, side, stomach and back. As they changed positions and got settled in, we asked them to rate on a scale from one to ten how quickly and easily the mattress responded to their movement.
Apparently the Big Fig has a good response rate. They scored the Big Fig a 9.5 out of 10 for responsiveness.
The total Mattress Advisor score for the Big Fig mattress:
What to watch out for
- Note that there may be a slight odor after you unbox your Big Fig. This should go away within a few days.
Big Fig sizes available
- Twin: $1299
- Twin XL: $1399
- Full: $1499
- Queen: $1699
- King: $1999
- Cal King: $1999
A look inside
The Big Fig mattress is made with a variety of strong and supportive materials that also cushion the body for individuals with a bigger figure.
- ThermoGel Quilted Top: This top layer is infused with ThermoGel, which converts moisture from perspiration into a refrigerant, immediately cooling the surface of the mattress. The cover is tufted to prevent materials from shifting over time, which can cause an uneven surface.
- Gel-infused latex foam: Perforated for comfort and airflow
- Comfort Layers: Made of 3 layers of high-density poly foam that is designed to keep the mattress from sagging.
- 1600 individually wrapped coils: The Big Fig uses 50% more coils than the average premium innerspring mattress on the market.
- High density, 80 ILD Edge Foam: ILD stands for Indentation Load Deflection. This foam adds strength and solid edge support.
- Big Fig foundation: Made with 18 slats of 2.5’’ wood that supports 5x the weight of an average foundation.
What Big Fig customers have to say
- “First off, I have tried every name brand mattress out there and they are all the same. Maybe good for a year if you are lucky but they slowly deteriorate quickly under a heavy framed person. Now, flash-forward… the Big Fig mattress is the BEST mattress I have EVER owned! I now know what it’s like to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and what it’s like to sleep ‘soundly’ the whole night. The mattress has also made a big difference in our sex life and gives the firm support that was missing with previous mattresses! Thanks, Big Fig for not making me regret this mattress purchase like all of the others before this one!” -Gary
- “I am over 350 lbs and finding a good mattress is a challenge, to put it mildly. I will say that after a few nights of wondering whether or not I had made the right choice, it is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. Just took a little while for my body to get used to it I guess. I love it, time will tell if the mattress lasts but I am grateful for a good warranty and happy that I made the switch. Any more of my big-boned brothers who are on the fence, I suggest you take the plunge, really a good, quality mattress.” –Robert
- “After having significant back pain if I laid down for more than 4 hours, it was time for a new mattress. I did tons of Research and actually tried a different mattress first. I had to return it as it was causing knee pain. Then I found this mattress! It’s amazing! NO back pain. I mean none after about 18 years of it. I thought it was me but I guess it was just years sleeping on a crappy mattress. This mattress is plush, it supports, it’s springy in a delightful way. It’s also easy to move in. I weigh close to 500 lbs and if I don’t sink too much into it, you won’t either. This is after sleeping on it for about 4 months. One more thing that is above average in a huge way is the edge support. It’s very firm but not uncomfortable. This is truly the best mattress I’ve come across. And the price is insanely low compared to other mattresses. If you’re on the fence, trust me, this mattress is freaking amazing.” -Rain
Read more reviews here.
The finer print
The Big Fig mattress ships free and should arrive at your doorstep within 9-19 business days. It is delivered full size with the base. For $99 Big Fig will set up your new mattress for you! For an additional $50 they will also remove your old mattress.
The Big Fig mattress comes in a box that’s the size of a full mattress. If you would like assistance with setup, Big Fig offers White Glove Delivery for an additional $99 or $159 for setup plus removal of your old mattress.
Big Fig recommends placing your mattress on the foundation they provide with your purchase of any mattress. You can choose b/w a standard 5’’ foundation or a high-profile 9’’. However, you may opt out and receive a $100 deduction off your order. In that case, you may place your Big Fig on a platform bed, a frame with a built-in base or wood slats or right on the floor.
If you’re not in love with your Big Fig mattress, you can return it for a full refund within your 101-night trial period. Big Fig will arrange for a representative to come to your home to pick up your mattress.
The Big Fig mattress comes with a 20-year warranty so during this entirety of this time period, you can repair or replace your mattress for free.
The best way to keep you Big Fig clean is using an appropriate mattress protector. Otherwise, you can use a spray upholstery cleaner and a soft cloth to spot clean. Note some products may leave a yellowish stain.
- Made in the USA.
- Big Fig uses CertiPUR-US® certified foams – meaning it’s good for you and the environment.
Other products sold by Big Fig
- Bed frame: $125 (add at checkout)
If you have more questions about the Big Fig mattress, check out their FAQ page or leave us a comment below.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.