Nest Bedding Puffin Mattress Review
Nest Bedding Puffin Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.9/5|
|✔️Type: Foam blend|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
Save up to 50% on Mattresses, Bedding, and Pillows
The bottom line: The Puffin mattress from Nest Bedding, formerly known as the Big Kid Bed (BKB), was designed specifically for children transitioning from a crib to a toddler bed or child’s mattress. Nest Bedding considered all the important factors that support a good night’s sleep for young children. Plus, the Puffin mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial and lifetime warranty.
Who Does It Work For?
|Puffin Mattress is best for:||Puffin Mattress may not be best for:|
Kids spend between 10–12 hours of their day sleeping. That’s almost half of their childhood years in bed! Your little ones need a quality mattress just like you, so we decided to take a closer look at the best mattresses for kids, including the Puffin by Nest Bedding. Not only is the Puffin mattress great for bunk beds, it’s designed specifically for kids’ growing bodies. Keep reading for our full review.
Why we love it:
- Easy Assembly: No need to haul a wide mattress up the stairs—the Puffin is the first bed-in–a-box mattress designed exclusively for kids. Just take it out of the box, unroll it on the bed frame, and show your kids how quickly it rises to form.
- Breathability: Kids sleep hard, and that can make for some sweaty nights. The Puffin is infused with cooling gel and made from open cell foam that improves airflow.
- Responsiveness: Do you have a restless sleeper? No problem. The Puffin top layer is conforming like memory foam and buoyant like an innerspring mattress. In other words, your child will stay cozy as they toss and turn throughout the night.
- Hypoallergenic: Nest Bedding uses only GREENGUARD Gold and Certipur-US certified foams in the Puffin, so it’s safe for kids with asthma and allergies.
- Affordable Price: The Puffin should last from your child’s toddler years to adolescence. Plus, it’s made in the USA and shipped factory-direct, which keeps down costs.
Pros and Cons
- The Puffin’s comfort layer is made with Nest Bedding’s proprietary Energex foam, which is significantly more responsive (i.e. bouncy) than traditional memory foam, and keeps your child supported on top of the mattress.
- The foam layers fill in the gaps along your little one’s delicate curves, which promotes healthy spinal alignment.
- The Puffin keeps motion transfer to a minimum, which is super helpful if you have kids sharing the bed.
- Worried about your energetic sleeper sliding off the side of the bed? Rest assured that the Puffin has plenty of edge support.
- Kids’ bodies need lots of support while they’re growing, and the firm feel of the Puffin is the right firmness level to keep their developing bodies in balance.
- Generally, foam mattresses can’t support as much weight as hybrid mattresses.
- You may notice a slight off-gassing scent when you unbox your mattress, but it’s non-toxic and should be gone within a few hours.
We mentioned that the Puffin is a great choice for bunk beds because of its 7” low profile. If you plan to have a child sleep on the top bunk, edge support is extra important.
The Puffin is made with a high density top layer and medium density base layer that handily supports the weight of your child from edge to edge. With that said, heavier children will cause the foam to compress more, so if you’re concerned about hearing that midnight “thump,” then keep lighter weight kids on the top bunk.
The Puffin is available up to a full size, which can easily sleep two smaller kids. With siblings or friends sharing the bed, you want to make sure their mattress minimizes motion transfer.
All-foam mattresses generally isolate motion well, and the Puffin is no exception. Two kids should be able to share this bed without disrupting each other if one has to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water (again).
Adult mattresses usually get all the fun, but we were impressed with the fancy cooling technology that Nest Bedding put into the Puffin. To start, the mattress cover is woven with phase change materials that absorb and store heat when it’s too warm and then release that heat when it’s too cool. Also, the top foam layer is infused with cooling gel that soaks up extra heat.
The Puffin has a firm feel that is ideal for kids—about a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale. A bed that’s too plush doesn’t provide enough spinal support for rapidly growing bodies. Keep in mind that the more weight on the mattress, the softer it will feel, so the Puffin may have closer to a medium firm feel for larger children.
Sleeping Position Support
The Puffin can comfortably support all sleeping positions. The foam construction adds extra cushion for side sleepers, while the firmer feel suits back and stomach sleepers.
Does it Sleep Hot?
The Puffin mattress has a neutral temperature for most sleepers, thanks to the cooling features in the mattress cover and Energex foam.
Nest Bedding told us that the Puffin mattress can comfortably support up to 100lbs.
You can store the Puffin on pretty much any solid, flat surface, including bunk beds, but slatted beds shouldn’t have gaps wider than 4”. Nest Bedding discourages the use of box springs or flexible bed bases, since those can change the feel of the mattress.
While the Puffin is not a 100% organic mattress, it’s still made from eco-friendly, kid-safe materials, including a non-chemical fire barrier. Here’s what you’ll find on the inside.
- Cooling Cover: A quilted foam cover that includes temperature regulating phase change materials
- Comfort Layer: 2″ of 2.8lb Energex Foam that cushions pressure points and actively cools
- Base Layer: 5″ of 1.8lb base foam that improves the support and durability of the mattress
Sizes and Prices
|Twin||38” x 75”||30 lbs||$399|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||35 lbs||$449|
|Full||54” x 75”||40 lbs||$599|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Puffin mattress.
The Puffin is compressed and rolled in a box. It takes next to no time for the Puffin to go from box to bed. Simply open the box, unroll the mattress on its bed frame, and carefully cut off the plastic packaging. Give your kids a physics lesson by asking them to watch the foam inflate. It should only take a few minutes for the mattress to rise to its full size, but don’t be surprised if it takes up to a few hours.
Here’s all the info you need to know when purchasing the Puffin mattress.
|Delivery||Free bed-in–a-box delivery|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty for original purchaser|
|Return Policy||Free returns and exchanges|
You get free shipping on your new mattress if you live in the lower 48 states. Nest Bedding ships to Alaska and Hawaii, but there is an extra cost. Don’t worry about being home for your delivery—signature is not required.
Mark your calendars for delivery 4–8 business days after your date of purchase. Nest Bedding will email you a tracking number once your order has shipped. If you’d like white glove delivery, reach out to the Nest Bedding team at 888-992-2001. You can also request old mattress removal for $100.
How Long’s the Sleep Trial?
You have a 100-night trial period to determine whether or not the Puffin is the right mattress for your child. It can take your youngster a few weeks to fully adjust to their new Puffin mattress, so Nest Bedding asks that you wait 30 days before making a final decision.
Determining if the Puffin is the right type of mattress for your little one is pretty simple because kids tend to be vocal about what they do and don’t like. Keep an eye out for how well-rested they look and act, since a tired child could indicate that a mattress adjustment needs to be made.
Warranty and Comfort Guarantee
Forget the industry standard 10-year warranty. Nest Bedding protects their mattresses with a lifetime limited warranty, applying to the original owner. If your Puffin mattress develops a covered defect, Nest Bedding will send you a repaired part or replacement mattress free of charge.
Covered defects include body impressions that are deeper than 1”, manufacturing flaws in the cover zipper, and tearing or stitch unraveling of the mattress cover (not resulting from misuse).
If you need to submit a claim, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your order number, full name, and a written description and photo or video of the defect. You’ll hear back from the Nest Bedding team within 7 business days.
Lifetime Comfort Guarantee
Nest Bedding customers can also claim the Lifetime Comfort Guarantee, which enables you to buy one more Nest Bedding mattress for 30% off, as long as you haven’t returned or exchanged a mattress in the past.
The Nest Bedding customer service team is available over live chat (Facebook Messenger), email, and phone. Here are their service hours:
- Live chat: Monday-Sunday, 9AM–5PM PST
- Phone at 888-992-2001: Monday-Friday, 8AM–7PM PST; Saturday-Sunday, 7AM–6PM PST
- Email at email@example.com: Monday-Friday, 7AM–5PM PST; Saturday-Sunday, 8AM–7PM PST
Explaining the Return Policy
You can return or exchange your Puffin mattress after day 30 of the trial period at no extra cost. If you haven’t unboxed the mattress and you’d like to return it before day 30, you’ll need to pay a 25% restocking fee. After the 100-day trial, the return policy expires.
To return or exchange your mattress, reach out the Nest Bedding customer service team at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form on their returns page. They’ll guide you through the process.
After the return of your original mattress is approved, the team will help you arrange for a donation service to pick up the mattress. Just send your donation receipt to Nest Bedding, and they’ll issue your full refund.
*The Nest Bedding return policy may not apply to mattresses bought from Amazon.
Is It the Right Bed for Your Kid?
The Puffin mattress is a great choice for your growing child. The firm feel promotes healthy spinal alignment, the foam construction provides a cozy feel, and the lifetime warranty ensures that you’ll have a mattress that lasts until your child becomes a teen. The cost may be a bit too high for budget-conscious shoppers. In that case, the Allswell mattress is a lower cost alternative.
See How Puffin Compares
The Puffin mattress is one of the simplest beds offered by Nest Bedding. A close comparison would be the Quail Memory Foam mattress, formerly known as Love & Sleep, which is available in medium and firm options that provide excellent pressure relief.
The Purple Kids mattress has a medium feel, compared to the Puffin’s firm feel, and can hold up to 115lbs. It’s only available as a twin mattress. While it also has a 100-night trial period, it only has a 10-year warranty.
The hybrid Saatva Youth mattress can be flipped to a medium-firm side geared toward kids aged 3–7 or a slightly firmer side for kids between the ages of 8–12. It comes with a 120-night trial period, 15-year warranty, and free white glove delivery, although returns are $99.
- Easy Breather Pillow: A plush pillow with an adjustable fill level. $119/queen size
- The COOL. Mattress Protector: Waterproof, breathable, and machine-washable, $109/twin size
- Certified Organic Crib Mattress: Available as a hybrid latex or all latex mattress, $699
- Nest Bedding Organic Cotton Luxury Sheet Sets: Made with GOTS certified organic cotton; available in ivory, white, and blue; $159/queen size
How can I protect my child’s Puffin mattress from accidents?
We highly recommend using a breathable, waterproof mattress protector. There are lots of affordable options on the market that will keep liquids, dead skin cells, and dust mites away from the mattress.
Our family is moving. What is the best way to transport the Puffin mattress?
Nest Bedding recommends using a mattress bag to keep dirt, liquids, and pests away from your mattress. It also prevents other items from snagging on the mattress cover. All foam mattresses—like the Puffin—can be folded up or placed vertically in your moving truck.