Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Quick overview: The Brentwood Home Cedar Natural Luxe mattress is a natural organic latex bed great for eco-conscious shoppers and heavier sleepers. Made with organic materials and over 1,000 individually wrapped coil springs, the Cedar mattress offers great support in a way that is good for the environment.
Who Is the Cedar Natural Luxe Mattress Best for?
|Cedar is best for:||Cedar may not be best for:|
The Cedar mattress is a latex hybrid mattress and happens to be one of the best latex mattresses we’ve reviewed! Take a deeper look into our review of the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress, including our methodology, scoring, and pro/con list to help you determine if this could be the best mattress for you.
The main features:
- The Cedar Mattress is made of 100% natural and organic materials including, natural latex, organic cotton, flax seeds, and organic coconut husk.
- The Cedar hybrid mattress includes computer designed latex layers with sculpted edges for motion isolation and targeted pressure relief. The grooves are customized to provide comfort to your shoulders, back, and legs all night.
- To keep you cool while you sleep, the Cedar is made with ventilated Dunlop latex and Alpaca wool to wick away moisture.
- For an additional fee, Brentwood Home offers white glove delivery service for the Cedar Mattress.
See our score breakdown below to learn how the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress scored on each of our tests and evaluations.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Cedar Mattress: 7.9/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Cooling: Made with naturally cool latex foam and a breathable layer of innerspring coils, the Cedar mattress keeps you cool by providing natural airflow throughout the mattress.
- Durability: The Cedar mattress is thoughtfully constructed with organic materials and durable, reinforced coils to make sure your mattress lasts as long as possible. You even get a 25-year warranty when you buy Cedar.
- USA Made: Cedar Natural Luxe is made in the USA with organic materials, meaning no off-gassing effects or harmful chemicals. This bed is even GOLS and GreenGuard Gold certified.
- Wait Time: After unboxing your Cedar Mattress may be ready for use, but in some cases, you may need to wait up to 48 hours for the mattress to fully expand.
- Motion Transfer: The springs inside the Cedar mattress can make motion isolation difficult if you or your sleep partner like to toss and turn.
- Sizes: Cedar only comes in three sizes: queen, king, and California king. No twin or twin XL sizes are available.
How much your mattress eases your pressure points can be the difference between waking up with back, shoulder, or hip pain and waking up pain free. The Cedar mattress had an average performance when it came to pressure relief.
Our male tester, Mark, fared better than our female tester, Tavy. Notice the slight amount of pressure in Mark’s shoulders. This is an average amount of pressure relief for side sleepers with no shoulder pain. Those with existing shoulder pain may want to keep shopping.
Tavy’s pressure concentration lies in her hips instead. The red indicates a high amount of pressure in Tavy’s hips, which can cause hip pain after a prolonged time sleeping on the mattress.
When you sleep on your side, your spine should be completely straight from the base of your neck all the way down your back. We tested this on the Cedar mattress, and we found out that it offers good spinal alignment to keep away morning back pain.
We wanted to see how the edge of the mattress holds up, so we put it to the test using two real-life scenarios: the shoe test and the lying test.
In the shoe test, we had Mark and Tavy sit on the edge of the mattress and tie their shoes. This allows us to see if the edge of the mattress is supportive enough to hold your weight without the feeling of slipping or sinking too deep. Our testers did not find the edge to be supportive enough lying or sitting down, so it received a 5/10.
With a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, Cedar is a medium-firm firmness level, which is ideal to accommodate most types of sleepers.
What Sleeping Position Is Best Supported?
Cedar works best as a mattress for side sleepers and mattress for back sleepers thanks to its great spinal alignment. Stomach sleepers may not feel supported on this mattress, and combination sleepers could have a hard time moving around. Jump over to our best mattress for stomach sleepers and best mattress for combo sleepers pages for better recommendations.
Because the Cedar mattress is made with a system of pocketed coils and a latex foam layer: it sleeps cool. The innerspring system provides airflow and latex foam is breathable and naturally cool.
What Is the Weight Limit?
The Cedar mattress can support up to 400 lbs. individually and 650 lbs. Combined, good for most body types. Heavier sleepers should pair Cedar with a solid foundation or platform bed for the best in support.
Best Foundations to Use
The Cedar mattress works on all firm, flat surfaces. This includes a box spring, platform bed, slatted platform, adjustable bases, or the floor.
Layers and Materials
The Cedar Mattress is a hybrid made of 100% natural materials. Inside, you will find an all-natural latex layer that is computer designed into layers for targeted pressure point relief and individually wrapped coils.
- Organic Cotton Cover: This top layer is hand-tufted to secure layers without chemical adhesives.
- Organic Cotton Fiber Quilting: As opposed to competitors that use of foam, the Cedar uses cotton quilted panels to keep it a green mattress.
- 1” Alpaca Wool: Wicks away moisture and regulates body temperature in any season.
- 1.5” Zoned All-Natural Latex Layer: This zoned support latex layer creates the “medium” firmness feel of the mattress. It is made with Dunlop latex, which allows for increased air circulation. It is cut into 3 zones that target your lower back, legs and shoulders.
- 8” Individually Wrapped Coils: This layer of pocket coils provides support in the lower back, motion isolation, and edge support to prevent sagging.
- .5” Coconut Husk Support Layer: The Cedar mattress traded the traditional foam base for this eco-friendly layer of organic coconut husk. Coconut husk is usually discarded, but Brentwood Home has given it a whole new purpose. This material was specifically chosen for its antimicrobial properties.
Cedar Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||120 lbs.||$1,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||140 lbs.||$1,799|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 11”||149 lbs.||$1,799|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Cedar mattress.
The Cedar mattress comes compressed and rolled in a box. Cedar is very heavy, so we suggest going through this process with a partner. It took us just under two minutes to set up, and it puffed to life instantly upon unboxing. For an additional fee, Brentwood Home offers white glove delivery.
|Delivery||Free shipping within 7-10 business days|
|Trial Period||1 year|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Is Delivery Free?
The Cedar Mattress comes with free delivery, and because the Cedar mattress is handcrafted, it should arrive at your home within one to two weeks after placing an order. You can opt in to white glove delivery for a fee of $199. This includes representatives bringing your new mattress into your home, unboxing, and setup. For mattress removal, the fee increases to $275.
How Many Nights Are in the Sleep Trial?
Brentwood Home offers one of the most generous sleep trial periods in the bed-in-a-box space with the Cedar mattress: one full year. You have exactly a full year to sleep on your Cedar and see if it’s the bed for you. Brentwood Home does ask that you sleep on your bed for at least 30 nights to break it in before making a return.
What’s the Warranty?
The Cedar Mattress comes with a 25-year limited warranty. This warranty covers defects in workmanship and materials. To claim your warranty, contact the retailer from which you purchased Cedar and request a claim.
Brentwood Home’s customer service team offered us a quick and friendly response. You can reach them through live online chat, emailing email@example.com, and visiting their online help center.
When Can You Return?
If you don’t love your Cedar mattress, you can initiate a return for a full refund during your year-long trial period. Brentwood Home will have a representative come retrieve your mattress. Brentwood Home asks you to try the mattress for at least 30 nights.
Is Cedar the Mattress of Your Dreams?
Cedar is a natural latex hybrid mattress, and although it didn’t make our list for the best hybrid mattress of 2021, it is one of our top latex beds of the year. It’s made with eco-friendly materials, such as organic cotton, coconut husk, and alpaca wool. It works best for heavier sleepers and side sleepers with back pain but will also work for people who sleep hot or someone who wants a mattress that will last for years to come.
You may not love the Cedar mattress if you constantly change positions at night or if you sleep on your stomach. If this describes you, we recommend the Saatva HD, another bed made for heavier sleepers.
Cedar vs Other Mattresses for Heavy People
- Cedar vs Helix Plus: The Helix Plus mattress incorporates foam, latex, and pocket coil layers to support plus-sized individuals. When compared to Cedar, it performs better in almost every category. Read our full Helix Plus mattress review.
- Cedar vs WinkBeds Plus: Like the Helix Plus, WinkBeds Plus uses foam and latex layers paired with tempered pockets coils to keep you supported. It also performs better than Cedar in almost every category. Read our full WinkBeds Plus mattress review.
- Cedar vs Big Fig: Big Fig is one of the best mattresses for heavy people we’ve ever tested. Big Fig out performed the Cedar mattress in most testing categories, but Cedar is the most affordable out of the two. Read our full Big Fig mattress review.
Cedar vs Oceano
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is a luxury, eco-friendly mattress, great for hot sleepers and side sleepers. Oceano is better than Cedar at relieving pressure and responding to your movements. Cedar is better at keeping your spine in alignment and reducing back pain. Read our full Brentwood Home Oceano mattress review.
Is the Cedar mattress eco-friendly?
The Cedar Mattress is constructed with eco-INSTITUT® certified natural latex, has a OEKO-TEX® certification, and a GOTS® certification.
Should I flip or rotate my Cedar mattress?
You should rotate you mattress once per month for the first six months and then every few months for the rest of its lifespan. Cedar is not meant to be flipped.
How can I clean my Cedar Mattress?
To clean the Cedar Mattress, simply spot clean with a homemade cleaning solution, upholstery or enzyme cleaner. Although the cover may be zipped off, do not put in the washing machine. It will shrink.