Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress Review
Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️ Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️ Mattress Advisor Score: 8.5/10|
|✔️ Type: Hybrid|
|✔️ Firmness: Medium-Soft|
|✔️ Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️ 365-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️ 25-Year Warranty|
Save Up to $200 on Mattresses
Featured summary: The Oceano mattress is hand-made in the USA with organic and natural materials. Its medium-soft feel and zoned support cushions pressure points, making it an excellent choice for side and back sleepers. With a year-long sleep trial, there’s no risk to seeing if it’s the eco-friendly mattress for you.
Who Is the Oceano Mattress Best for?
|Oceano is best for:||Oceano may not be best for:|
Oceano Mattress Review Highlights
The Oceano is a luxury hybrid mattress by Brentwood Home. With layers of plant-based BioFoam-infused memory foam, organic cotton, organic wool, and steel coils, the Oceano offers the comfort that only nature can provide.
In this review, we’ll share how this mattress performed when we put it to the test at our mattress lab so you can decide if it’s the right mattress for you.
The best mattress elements:
- The Oceano mattress by Brentwood Home is one of the highest-performing eco-friendly luxury mattresses that we’ve tested at the Mattress Advisor lab.
- Thanks to zoned support base coils and generous comfort layers, the Oceano delivers the pressure relief that side sleepers need.
- Measuring 14 inches, the Oceano boasts sufficient cushion and support for both lightweight and plus-size people.
- This mattress is handcrafted in Los Angeles, California using natural and non-toxic materials.
Want to see first-hand what it’s like to roll around on the Oceano? Watch the video below to see what our sleep testers thought of this mattress.
See how the Oceano mattress performed when we put it to the test at the Mattress Advisor lab. Our 14-point evaluation includes function and performance tests along with a social impact score. Learn more by reading our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Oceano Mattress: 8.5/10⭐
- Responsive Feel: We were impressed by how easy it was to move around and get comfortable on the Oceano. The responsive surface is particularly beneficial for people who toss and turn a lot at night.
- Edge Support: Our sleep testers found the edges quite supportive, great for spreading out at night or sitting on during the day.
- Cooling: The Oceano’s breathable comfort layers and innerspring coil layers help hot sleepers stay cool.
- Durability: This mattress boasts two layers of coils and multiple comfort layers that come together to create a mattress that’s likely to last well over a decade.
- Trial Period: The Oceano comes with one of the most generous sleep trials in the bed-in-a-box industry—a full year with free returns.
- Motion Transfer: Our sleep testers noticed quite a bit of movement when they rolled around next to one another. Couples who share the bed may prefer a mattress with superior motion isolation.
- Off-Gassing: We noticed a slight odor when we first unboxed the Oceano that lasted throughout the night. It did fade by the second day.
Have you ever felt stuck in a mattress? This sinking feeling is particularly common in memory foam mattresses and beds with generous foam layers. Certain foams make it hard to move around and get comfortable in a new position, which is troublesome for combo sleepers.
To test how well a mattress adapts to movement, also known as its responsiveness, we have our sleep testers lie on the bed and change from one sleeping position to the next. They then rate it on a scale from 1–10, 10 meaning it adapted instantly.
Our sleep testers didn’t feel much resistance when changing positions, and they felt comfortable almost instantly. They gave the Oceano a 9.25/10 for responsiveness.
Couples and anyone who shares their mattress with kiddos or pets typically sleeps more soundly when on a mattress that limits motion transfer. Typically, all-foam beds offer superior motion isolation when compared to their hybrid and innerspring counterparts, but with newer foam and coil technology, this isn’t always the case. This is why we put every mattress to two motion transfer tests.
In the first test, dubbed the wine test, we balance a full glass of red wine on the mattress. Then, one of our sleep subjects moves around on the opposite side of the bed. What we want to see is a stable glass with little to no movement within. When RJ tossed and turned on the Oceano, there was a bit of jiggle to the glass and wiggle to the wine, earning it a 7.5/10 for the wine test.
The second test, or the partner test, mimics the more typical nighttime routine—when your partner moves in bed next to you. In this test, our testers each lie on one side of the mattress and take turns moving around while the other person sees how much movement they feel. Both RJ and Asha felt pretty substantial movement, so the Oceano received just a 6.5/10 in this test.
The combined motion transfer score of 7/10 isn’t too bad, but it’s not the score that we want to see for light sleepers who share the bed.
Sturdy edges are one of those things that you may not notice until it’s gone. Some people sleep along the edges in order to have a bit of personal space. Others need strong edges to help them get into or out of bed, while others sit on the edges when putting on their slippers or shoes in the morning.
We use two tests to see how supportive a bed’s edges are. In the first, we have our testers sit on the edge of the bed to put on their shoes, rating how supported and stable they feel. Both Asha and RJ felt acceptably supported but did notice a bit of softness, earning the Oceano a 7.5/10.
Next, our sleep testers see what it’s like to lie on the mattress perimeter while on their backs, sides, and stomachs. Asha and RJ each felt safe and comfortable in every sleeping position, so the Oceano scored a nearly-perfect 9.5/10 for our side sleeping test.
The combined score of 8.5/10 for edge support means you’ll likely feel right at home no matter where you sleep on the Oceano.
Where Is It on the Firmness Scale?
The Oceano is a medium-soft mattress, with a firmness that rates at around a 4 on the 1–10 firmness scale, with 10 being the most firm. The top of the mattress has a cloud-like feel while the multiple layers of coils provide the support that you need for fewer aches and pains come morning.
Will It Fit with Your Sleep Position?
The Oceano works for every sleeping position so long as you like a softer-than-normal mattress. Its medium-soft feel is particularly good fit as a mattress for side sleepers, but is also a good bed for back sleepers and good bed for stomach sleepers who enjoy ample cushion.
Sleeping hot is a common problem because our bodies cycle through different temperatures while we sleep. For optimal temperature regulation, a mattress needs to dissipate body heat rather than feeding it back over the night.
The Oceano mattress boasts naturally cool materials. The top wool layer is breathable and moisture-wicking while two layers of coils support ample airflow. Combined with foams designed for cool sleep and you have a mattress that’s cool enough for most hot sleepers.
Will It Support Your Weight?
The Oceano has different weight limits depending on if you sleep alone or with a partner. This bed is designed to support solo sleepers who weigh up to 400 pounds and couples with a combined weight of 650 pounds or less. These weight limits along with the Oceano’s 14 inches of high-quality materials make it a good mattress for plus-size people.
What Foundations Work Best?
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress works well on flat, supportive foundations. This includes box springs, platform beds, adjustable bases, and slatted frames. Do not set your new mattress directly on the floor for extended periods as this voids your warranty.
Construction and Materials
The Oceano hybrid mattress is made from high-quality natural materials. The eight layers include nine materials chosen for their cooling properties, comfort level, and support.
- Tencel Cover: The mattress cover is made from plant-based Tencel fibers sourced from eucalyptus trees. Tencel is silky smooth and stretchy for a seamless feel, and it naturally facilitates airflow for a cool night’s sleep.
- Wool and Silk Top Layer: Organic wool wicks away moisture and acts as an all-natural fire barrier while a poly-silk fiber blend adds breathability. Combined, they create a pillow-top feel.
- Memory Foam Comfort Layer: Plant-based BioFoam and CertiPUR-US certified gel memory foam cushion pressure points and bring a contouring feel.
- Microcoil Transition Layer: Up to 1,722 individually-encased microcoils limit sinkage and evenly distribute the body’s weight for pressure relief.
- Air Luxe Foam: A layer of transitional foam limits motion transfer and adds cushioning.
- Innerspring Coil Support Layer: A thick layer of pocketed coils provides generous support, a responsive feel, and exceptional cooling. These base coils are zoned for optimal weight distribution.
- Supportive Base Foam: High-density polyfoam limits motion from the layer of coils above while bringing added support and durability.
- Organic Cotton Canvas Base: An attractive and eco-friendly base layer crafted from GOTS certified organic cotton.
Oceano Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x 14”||80 lbs.||$999|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 14”||90 lbs.||$1,199|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||115 lbs.||$1,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||135 lbs.||$1,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||170 lbs.||$1,999|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 14”||170 lbs.||$1,999|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Oceano mattress.
The Oceano comes compressed in a box. It took two of us around two and a half minutes to get the mattress unboxed, slightly longer than most bed-in-a-box mattresses. It’s quite heavy, so it may be best to have a friend help out.
Brentwood Home Buying Guide
In this section, we’re going to break down what it’s like to purchase a new Brentwood Home mattress.
|Delivery||Free shipping; arrives in 2-4 weeks|
|Trial Period||1-year trial|
|Return Policy||Full refund during trial period|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Where Do They Ship from?
Every Oceano mattress is handcrafted in Los Angeles, California and shipped within two weeks from the order date. Brentwood offers free shipping, typically through FedEx, anywhere in the contiguous United States. Expect up to 10 business days for shipping, depending upon current shipping times and where you live. They do not ship to Alaska or Hawaii.
You may opt for White Glove Delivery for $249 to have your new bed set up by a Brentwood Home’s representative. For old mattress removal, it’s an additional $275.
How Is the Sleep Trial?
Brentwood Home’s year-long sleep trial is one of the best that you’ll find in the mattress industry. After trying out your new mattress for 30 days, you can return it for a full refund during the first year that you own the bed.
How Long Is the Warranty?
The Oceano comes with a 25-year warranty, which is much longer than the typical 10-year mattress warranty. Our only qualm with this warranty is that it doesn’t cover indentations until they’ve reached two inches, compared to the normal one inch indentation coverage.
Brentwood Home Customer Service
To get in touch with Brentwood Home, you can use the live chat feature at brentwoodhome.com or email them at email@example.com. They’re open weekdays from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. PST and weekends from 6 a.m. 2 p.m. PST. We’ve had success using the live chat feature where we’ve always received fast and helpful customer care.
How to Return
Brentwood Home makes returning a mattress easy. All you need to do is contact them after the 30-day waiting period but before you’ve owned your mattress for 365 days. They’ll work with you to find a local charity to pick up and donate the mattress, after which you’ll receive a full refund.
Reasons to Buy/Not Buy Oceano
The Oceano is an eco-friendly mattress with a medium-soft feel. As this is softer than the average mattress, the Oceano is best for people who like a plush feel. Thanks to supportive innerspring coils and generous comfort layers, this bed works well for every sleeping position and body size.
When we tested the Oceano mattress, it earned high marks in tests for edge support, pressure relief, responsiveness, cooling, and durability. What these results tell us is that it’s a good bed for people who toss and turn, side sleepers, and hot sleepers.
The one test for which the Oceano didn’t perform well was motion transfer, particularly the part of the test that looks at how much motion our sleep testers felt when lying next to one another. If you sleep with a partner and one of you is a light sleeper, we’d recommend a mattress that does a better job dampening motion. One of the best eco-friendly mattresses for couples is the Birch mattress.
How Oceano Compares
The Oceano vs Other Eco-Friendly Mattresses
The Oceano is one of the more affordable natural mattresses, although it still comes with a luxury mattress price point. It’s softer than the average organic mattress, which makes it a good option for eco-conscious side sleepers. Additionally, it’s thicker and more durable than the typical natural bed which is great for plus-size people.
The Oceano vs Other Brentwood Home Mattresses
Brentwood Home crafts five different mattresses, each made to be more eco-friendly than the average bed. Here’s how the Oceano compares to each of Brentwood Home’s beds.
- Oceano vs Cedar Natural Luxe: The Cedar Natural Luxe is even more eco-friendly than the Oceano. While both are hybrid beds, the Oceano uses a memory foam layer for a pressure-relieving cradle and the Cedar natural latex, wool, and cotton for a firmer feel. Read our full Brentwood Home Cedar mattress review.
- Oceano vs Crystal Cove: The Crystal Cove is a dual-sided hybrid mattress with a medium-soft and medium-firm side. The softer side has a similar firmness to the Oceano, while the firmer side boasts natural latex for a cooler, more responsive feel. These beds have similar price points and both work well for people of all weights and sleeping positions.
- Oceano vs Hybrid Latex: Brentwood Home’s Hybrid Latex mattress is a medium firmness mattress made from all-natural and recycled materials. It’s slightly firmer than the medium-soft Oceano and utilizes latex rather than memory foam for a more balanced feel.
- Oceano vs Cypress Memory Foam: The Cypress Memory Foam mattress comes in a memory foam or memory foam innerspring hybrid with a firmness that ranges from medium-soft to medium-firm. It’s more affordable than the medium-soft Oceano, but isn’t as eco-friendly. The Cypress offers superior motion isolation while the Oceano is slightly more supportive.
Other Products Sold by Brentwood Home
Is the Oceano mattress eco-friendly?
Yes! From organic cotton and wool to CertiPUR-US certified foams, Brentwood takes steps to protect both the environment and your health. The mattress is even GREENGUARD Gold certified for low emissions. They also plant three trees for every mattress purchased, helping safeguard our forests.
How long can I keep my new bed in its box?
Whether you’re out-of-town, moving, or not done setting up the room, it’s important to unbox your new mattress within two weeks of its arrival. Waiting any longer than this can lead to permanent compression while also voiding the sleep trial and warranty.