Casper Element (Essential) Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Final Impression: The Casper Element mattress is Casper’s entry-level mattress. Not only is it one of the most affordable all-foam beds that comes with a 100-night trial period and free returns, but it performed well during our in-house testing. Its medium-firm feel is great for the average sleeper, especially back sleepers.
Who Is the Casper Element Mattress Best for?
|Casper Element is best for:||Casper Element may not be best for:|
Formerly known as the Casper Essential Mattress, the Casper Element is Casper’s most budget-friendly mattress, but just because it’s gentle on the wallet doesn’t mean it sacrifices comfort or quality. Check out our in-depth review of the Casper Element mattress to learn more about what makes this all-foam mattress so great.
What makes it stand out:
- The Casper Element is a streamlined, budget-friendly mattress made by Casper.
- Its 2 foam layers create a balanced feel that falls between sleeping “on” and “in” a mattress.
- The Element is a great option for anyone on a budget (who doesn’t want to sacrifice great sleep!) or anyone looking for a mattress for their children.
- The Element scored great on edge support and spine alignment in our testing!
Take a look at our full Casper Element mattress review video and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you. Please note: a couple of Casper Element’s scores have been reevaluated since testing (not to mention the name change) so please refer to the above scores for updates.
See the chart below to learn how the Casper Element performed in our in-house testing. We rate each performance and satisfaction indicator on a scale of 1 to 10. The total MA score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress.
Learn more about our testing process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Casper Element Mattress: 8.4/10⭐
Mattress Pros and Cons
- Edge support: Solid edge support is important for those who get ready on the edge of the bed and anyone who sleeps along the edges.
- Motion isolation: Being an all-foam mattress, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Element does a good job absorbing motion, helping you co-sleep peacefully—whether with your pets, kids, or partner.
- Incredible value: The most impressive factor about the Casper Element is the quality offered at a low price point. When our sleep testers laid on the Element, they all noted that it felt like other foam beds that are double the cost of the Element’s $595 for a queen-size mattress.
- Sleep Trial: Every Casper mattress is backed by their 100-night trial period. Few budget-friendly mattresses come with free shipping and returns, removing any financial risk from trying out the Element in the comfort of your home.
- Off-Gassing: As is the case with almost every foam mattress, the Casper Element has a mild off-gassing odor when first unboxed. We found this scent to fade by the end of the day.
- Durability: The Element scored a 6.5/10 for durability, meaning it may not hold up well for 10+ years of use. With good but not great durability, it’s best as a starter mattress, guest room bed, temporary mattress, or for kids or college students.
- Cooling: Because of its all-foam construction, the Casper Element can sleep hot, especially if you’re someone who struggles to stay cool at night. While the perforated top layer and breathable cover are sufficiently cool for most sleepers, the Element isn’t the best mattress for hot sleepers.
This is one of those factors about a mattress that usually goes ignored by customers, but if you get ready on the edge of your bed in the morning, or just tend to sleep towards the edge of your bed, it should be an important consideration when looking for your perfect mattress.
Our testers both felt comfortable sitting and laying on the edge of the Casper Element. For a budget mattress, this is impressive! When cutting down on the price, you expect to lose some of those overlooked qualities, but this test proved that the Casper Element truly delivers.
One problem side sleepers might run into is the lack of pressure relief. As you can see on the heat map below, the pressure is mostly concentrated in the hips and shoulders. This can lead to some aches in the morning.
But good news for back sleepers! The Element gave us nearly no problems or pressure in the lower back area.
It’s easy for a mattress to slack in the spine alignment department. It takes pretty thoughtful design to hug your body in the right places and offer support in other areas to keep your spine in its natural alignment all night.
The Casper Element did give a little dip towards the center of our testers’ bodies, but overall, the Element offered enough support to protect your spine while you sleep, keeping you back-pain free.
The Element is a medium-firm mattress, rating a 6 on the 1-10 firmness scale. Its upper layer of contouring foam offers moderate pressure relief without allowing too much sinkage, while the bottom layer yields a firmer feel than many all-foam beds. This balanced foam feel is ideal for the average sleeper.
Does It Match Different Types of Sleepers?
We found the Casper Element to be an excellent mattress for back sleepers. Thanks to its medium-firmness and foam construction, this bed delivers just enough cushion and support to keep the spine in near-perfect alignment.
The Casper Element isn’t our top pick for side sleepers, but it does offer the right combination of pressure relief and support for side sleepers of average weight (130-230 pounds). Lightweight side sleepers and those with pain at their shoulders or hips may prefer something more cushy, while plus-size side sleepers need more padding than the Element’s 3” comfort layer.
Stomach sleepers need a mattress that stops their hips from sinking in too far so as to keep their spines in a neutral alignment. When we laid on the Element in the mattress lab, our hips dipped a bit, but not too much. This will work for stomach sleepers, but for optimal body alignment, we suggest a firmer bed.
Combination sleepers tend to move around a lot at night, switching from one position to the next. As such, they need a mattress that quickly adjusts to movement, allowing them to move about and get comfy easily. In the mattress lab, we scored the Element a 7.5/10 for responsiveness, meaning it adjusted fairly quickly, but not immediately. For a budget-friendly mattress, the Casper is an okay choice for combination sleepers, but there are better beds for those who toss and turn.
How Well Does It Regulate Temperature?
We rated the Casper Element a 7/10 for its temperature-regulating properties. For an all-foam mattress, the Element is relatively cool, but it’s much warmer than most innerspring and hybrid beds. If you sleep hot but like the feel of foam, we recommend going with one of our picks for the best hybrid mattress for optimal cooling and comfort.
Does It Support Heavier People?
The Casper Element has just 3” of comfort foam atop high-density polyfoam. Those who weigh more than 230 pounds may find that the heavier parts of their bodies hit the firm foam, causing pressure and pain. The Element is best for those who weigh less than 230 pounds.
Best Foundations for the Element
Finding the right foundation to support your mattress is important for both keeping you comfortable while you sleep and helping your mattress reach its full lifespan. The Casper Element will work best on a flat, sturdy foundation. It can be used with a slatted foundation (with slats less than 4” apart), a platform bed frame, or an adjustable base.
Casper doesn’t recommend a traditional box spring for the Casper Element. They note that older box springs don’t do well at supporting Casper mattresses.
Layers and Construction
A mattress can look great on the outside, but it’s what’s on the inside that truly matters. The Element is made from 2 layers of foam that work together to achieve breathability, cushion pressure points, and evenly distribute body weight. Here’s a breakdown of what’s inside the Casper Element.
- Mattress cover: A soft, cooling cover made from recycled polyester, upcycled cotton, and other materials.
- Comfort layer: Perforated AirScape foam allows ventilation and gently conforms to the body’s curves without the quicksand feeling of memory foam.
- Support layer: The sturdy base foam is made from high-density polyfoam, a material known for its durability and resistance to sagging.
Casper Element Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||41 lbs.||$395|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||43 lbs.||$445|
|Full||53” x 75” x 10”||57 lbs.||$545|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||68 lbs.||$595|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||87 lbs.||$795|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 10”||87 lbs.||$795|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Casper Element mattress.
Related: Casper Mattress Coupons
What’s Setup Like?
The Casper Element is a bed-in-a-box mattress that arrives compressed in a box at your doorstep. Weighing in at just 68 lbs. for a queen-size mattress, our testers found it easy to handle, unbox, and set up. The Element had a distinct aroma that dissipated in a few hours, and the mattress puffed up to life even faster. You may be able to sleep on your new mattress the night it arrives!
Before you buy a Casper Element mattress, we want to be sure you have all the information you need. Read on to learn what it’s like to purchase from Casper Sleep.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in-a-box; delivered in 2-7 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
What You Need to Know About Shipping and Delivery
Casper is known for their fast delivery and free shipping. You can expect your mattress on your doorstep within 2-7 business days from the day you place your order.
Casper offers White Glove Delivery for an extra fee, but has temporarily suspended in-home setup and mattress removal due to COVID-19.
Breaking Down the Sleep Trial
From the day you receive your new Casper mattress, you have 100-nights to try it out. If you decide that it’s not the mattress of your dreams, simply contact Casper to initiate a refund. They’ll find a local charity or mattress recycling center to pick up the mattress from your home, so you don’t need to try and stuff it back in its box!
Casper’s 100-night trial is the industry-standard for bed-in-a-box mattress brands, but there is one thing that makes it stand apart. Casper allows returns any time during the trial, while many competitors won’t accept returns for the first 30 days.
Just understand that it can take a few weeks to get used to a new mattress. Additionally, foam beds like the Element won’t reach their final feel until they’ve been slept on for around 30 days. But if you’re 100% certain early on that the Element isn’t for you, you can return the mattress quickly and find one that works for you.
The Warranty in Plain Language
The Casper Element comes with an industry-standard 10-year limited warranty. The warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship for the mattress and the cover’s zipper during this period. To file a warranty claim, send an email to email@example.com.
Read More: Casper Mattress Warranty
All Customer Service Contact Info
Casper’s customer service team is available 7 days a week via phone, email, or live chat. Here’s their contact information.
- Phone: 1-888-498-0003
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live chat at casper.com
We’ve had nothing but positive experiences with Casper customer service. We typically use their live chat feature for help, receiving fast, friendly, and knowledgeable assistance.
Casper’s customers have similar things to say.
- “We had to utilize customer service for a question and actually spoke to a real human being!! Overall our experience has been great and we would recommend Casper to anyone!” -Gregory
- Yesterday my Casper arrived. Very helpful customer service answered all my questions. It shipped right away..ordered it on Monday and got it on Thursday. Very easy to get out of the box and unwrap.” -Anonymous
- Best sleep I ever invested in. The customer service is also unparalleled. I wouldn’t recommend any mattress other than a Casper.” -Rodger
Learn About the Return Policy
It’s easier to return a Casper mattress than almost anything else that you buy. All you need to do is reach out to their customer service during the first 100 days that you own your mattress. Casper will do the work to find a local charity to come to your home and take your mattress to someone in need. You’ll then receive a full refund.
Real Customer Feedback
If you don’t want to take our word for it, take a look at what customers are saying about the Casper Element mattress.
- On its Support and Responsiveness: “I look forward to getting in bed each night. This was a huge upgrade for me. I’ve been sleeping on an ancient Sealy Posture Pedic twin for years. I moved into a great new place and I’m glad I chose the Essential Casper Mattress for my new space. It cradles me just enough and supports me in all the right areas. It’s also firm enough to not feel like a marshmallow.” – Meghan
- On its Comfort and Affordability: “I was a little nervous about this purchase because I had never had a memory foam mattress before, but it is very comfortable, lightweight (easy to move around my new apartment while rearranging), and surprisingly plush feeling despite its thin appearance. It seems to have captured the best of all worlds: affordable, lightweight, delivered right to your door, and super comfy.” – Alley
- On its Ease of Set-Up: “Unboxing was super easy. Impressed at how well it was packed and how quickly it arrived. Bed was for my 4 yr old and she is sleeping great. I’m jealous of her bed, in fact! It’s super soft and comfy.” – Nikki
Reasons to Buy or Not Buy the Casper Element
The Casper Element mattress is an excellent all-foam bed at a price point perfect for the budget-conscious consumer. With a plush, breathable foam layer atop a dense polyfoam base, the Element balances pressure relief with nearly-perfect spine alignment abilities.
When we tested the Element, it scored highly in the factors that make an excellent mattress for couples who share the bed. The Element has sturdy, comfortable edges that allow you and your partner to spread out, and its all-foam construction absorbs motion, so you aren’t disturbed by your partner’s movement.
Thanks to a medium-firm feel and minimal comfort layers, we recommend the Element for the average sleeper who weighs less than 230 pounds. Heavier sleepers may find the comfort layer too thin, leading to discomfort at areas like the hips and shoulders. If this sounds like you, we recommend the Loom & Leaf mattress.
Compare Casper Element
The Casper Element mattress is the budget bed compared to all the other Casper models and it has the most simple construction. When you look at the Casper Hybrid, Wave Hybrid, or Nova Hybrid, all of these beds have springs along with their foam comfort layers, but they are also more pricey.
Outside of the Casper world, the Casper Element is comparable to the Nectar mattress or the Tuft & Needle in that all three are value memory foam mattresses great for children, guest rooms, and people who need a mattress in a pinch.
Will it take time to break in my Casper Element mattress?
It can take up to 30 days to fully break in your new mattress. During this time, your body will get used to the new feel and the mattress will have time to fully take shape and provide all of the benefits it was designed to offer. The good news is that you have plenty more time than 30 days with Casper’s trial period!
Is the Casper Element mattress eco-friendly?
All foams used in Casper mattresses are CertiPUR-US certified, meaning they meet some of the most rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability. Additionally, each Casper cover contains up to 9 recycled plastic bottles.
How does mattress financing work through Casper?
To finance your new Casper mattress, add your mattress and any accessories to your cart. When you go to your cart to checkout, there’s a financing option below the checkout button. Click “learn more” and you’ll be redirected to a page to apply for financing through Affirm. In a matter of minutes, you’ll know if you’re approved.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.