Medium firm: 6/10
10-year limited warranty
Universal firmness mattress for the average sleeper
- Casper is one of the early market leaders in the foam mattress space and offers a good universal mattress for the average sleeper.
- Casper has crafted a memory foam mattress that is breathable and promotes airflow, so you won’t get that hot, sinking feeling that you would with traditional memory foams.
- The Casper team is continually refining its design based on customer feedback and sleep tests; so buying a Casper today doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the same one from a couple years ago. Casper’s latest innovation – Zoned Support – is a new foam system that contours high-pressure areas like your hips, shoulders, and core to provide relief and support where it’s needed most.
Casper mattress review
Take a look at our Casper mattress review and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
Mattress Advisor score for the Casper
Here’s how the Casper mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. We break down the scores so you can see how the Casper mattress performed on specific tests and evaluations.
9.1 / 10
The Casper mattress can work with all standard foundations. As with all foam beds, you’ll want as much direct support under the mattress as possible. A wooden slatted foundation or platform bed tend to offer the most support for the Casper mattress.
What makes Casper different from other mattresses?
The Casper mattress was designed so that all of the layers work together to provide a supportive and comfortable sleeping surface. As you work your way down from the very top layer to the bottom foundation layer on the Casper, the foams become firmer.
So what does this mean?
- When you lay on the Casper, your body weight collapses and pushes air out of the cells – this is also when the more supportive foams kick in and start to work their magic.
- When the top layer is compressed, the viscoelastic layer underneath it also starts to compress.
- Then, the transition layer begins compressing, and finally, the base layer of foam engages to provide structure and support.
The cool thing is that your body experiences the actions above on all of the layers at virtually the same time. Science is pretty crazy!
One of the most significant upgrades that Casper has made to the mattress over the last 12 months is adding a transition layer to help absorb your body movements as you initially lie down or change positions. We’ve proven the responsiveness of the Casper mattress ourselves and can validate that it’s quite the smooth transition!
What to watch out for
- Be aware that your Casper mattress may have a mild scent when you unbox it – this is normal and should go away within a few hours.
- If you are used to sleeping on a traditional innerspring mattress, it may take some time to get accustomed to the feel of a memory foam mattress like the Casper. Keep in mind that it may take up to 30 days to break in your new mattress.
Casper sizes available
- Twin: $595
- Twin XL: $645
- Full: $895
- Queen: $995
- King: $1195
- Cal King: $1195
A look inside
Casper is made up of four foam blend layers to offer breathability, pressure relief, and a springy yet contouring surface.
- 1.5” Open-Cell Foam
- 1.5” Responsive Memory Foam
- 1.5” Zoned SupportTM layer
- 5.0” Durable Support Foam
Check out Casper’s video to learn more about what’s inside.
What Casper customers have to say
Casper mattress reviews from customers with back pain
- “I absolutely did not believe I would be sleeping this great. I’ve had low back pain from my mattress for over 6 years. I’ve tried so many different things and can’t believe how good I am sleeping! Now I understand why people look forward to getting in their beds at night. Finally, a comfortable sleeping experience!” – Tyler
- “We both suffered with back pain and thought we were just getting older. After all our mattress had been a $4000 adjustable mattress. We hurt when sleeping and when getting up. Then I decided we were not THAT OLD, so I did my research of all the mattress sites, Consumer Reports and on and on. I mean who wants to pay thousands only to find it was a waste of money twice? All sources pointed to Casper so I bought the mattress for a Christmas gift for my bride. It is the greatest gift I ever got her – and me. The very first night we slept soundly all night. We awoke refreshed and neither of us has had any backache since.” – Wayne T.
Casper mattress reviews on comfort
- “Best mattress I have ever owned. I recently moved into a NYC loft studio which only had room for a small Twin XL mattress. As I am a larger individual (6 ft, 260 lbs) I was not looking forward to downsizing from a Queen. However, my new Casper is so supportive and comfortable, I don’t need the extra room – I wake up in the exact same position I fall asleep in – no more tossing and turning!” – John S.
- “This is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. It firm and soft at the same time. It’s just right, I don’t toss and turn but I sleep all night. I love it.” – Jed
- “I have never been in such a comfortable bed!! My partner and I both love it, and never thought we’d agree on a bed. I enjoy a more firm bed and he enjoys soft, but this we both love!” – Angelica
Casper mattress reviews on firmness
- “My wife and I both love the bed. I usually prefer a much firmer mattress and my wife prefers a soft mattress, yet we’re both satisfied. The bed was easy to unpack and within minutes was ready for sleeping. Definitely the best value in mattresses!” – Sam K.
- “I’ve owned quite a few different mattresses but the Casper has easily become my favorite. It’s a perfect nights sleep, a great balance of firm and soft. And while the mattress is all I could hope for, the customer service team really took it to over the top. Communication throughout the delivery was prompt, thoughtful and helpful. When my mattress was delayed I was overnighted an air mattress to hold me over.” – Nikki G.
- “Casper has been the best thing to ever happen to us! My husband prefers firm, I prefer plush, and this is the best of both worlds. At first, it did seem to firm for me, but by night 3, I don’t even think I moved! My neck problems have solved themselves, I am waking up feeling more refreshed, and I don’t toss and turn like I used to!! My ONLY complaint, is the mattress is skinny – we are used to our pillowtop mattress, so we lost about 5 inches in height of the bed – easily fixed by getting a bigger (deeper) boxsprings, but that is literally my ONLY complaint. Just buy it. You won’t be disappointed!” – Lindsey
Read more reviews here.
How the Casper mattress supports different sleeping positions
The Casper mattress is a great option for side sleepers because it helps to keep your spine in a straight line, which is what side sleepers should look for in a mattress. Casper also received a perfect score (10/10) for responsiveness – meaning it does a good job of adjusting to your body as you move around or change positions throughout the night. Since side sleepers tend to also be combination sleepers, this is an important factor to consider in a mattress.
Back sleepers can find comfort on the Casper mattress because it provides the right amount of “give.” In other words, you won’t find yourself sinking into the mattress, which can cause strains on your neck and back. The Casper mattress is a medium-firm mattress, which tends to be the ideal firmness level for back sleepers.
Stomach sleepers will benefit from Casper’s Zoned Support technology. This foam framework contours to each area of your body, providing you with the needed support and even body weight distribution that stomach sleepers need in a mattress.
The finer print
The Casper ships free and should arrive at your doorstep within 2-7 business days of ordering. Same-day white glove delivery service is also available in select cities.
The Casper mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation, and wait for it to expand.
If you decide the Casper is not for you within the 100-day trial period, Casper will remove the mattress from your home and donate it to a local charity at no cost.
The Casper mattress comes with a 10-year limited warranty offer. You can read more about what’s covered under the warranty policy here.
If you have to wash your cover, machine washing it is not recommended as the cover may shrink. Instead, unzip and remove the cover and gently dab and spot clean with a mild detergent. Mattress protectors can add even more protection, but keep in mind that the covers may reduce breathability.
- Made in the USA.
- All the foams in Casper mattresses are CertiPUR-US® certified.
accolades for the casper mattress
- Consumer Reports’ highest rated memory foam mattress under $1,000
- TIME ‘Invention of the Year’
- Fast Company’s ‘Innovation by Design’ winner
- Men’s Journal Gear of the Year
- Gear Patrol top 100 home category product winner
- Industrial Designers Society of America award winner
- Wired calls the Casper mattress “supremely comfortable”
- Refinery29 dubbed Casper “the internet’s favorite mattress”
Casper mattress FAQs
Does the Casper mattress sleep hot?
The Casper mattress is designed to sleep cool. It is made with a breathable comfort foam that allows body heat to flow out of the mattress, instead of getting trapped inside. That being said, Casper is still a foam mattress so it may not sleep as cool as an innerspring or hybrid mattress. This also depends on your personal preferences and how hot you sleep at night. If you do find that the Casper mattress sleeps too hot for you, you can always return it within your 100-night risk-free trial period.
How does the 100-night trial work?
You can try the Casper mattress in the comfort of your home for 100 nights from the day you receive it. If you decide to return your Casper within your trial period window, simply contact customer support and they will assist you with the return process. Casper will send a representative to your house to pick up the mattress and either donate it to a local charity or have it recycled.
Once the pickup or donation is confirmed, you will receive a full refund of your original purchase price.
Do I need to be home when my Casper mattress is delivered?
When you place your order for your Casper mattress, the “signature required” box will automatically be checked. If you keep it checked, you will need to be home to sign for the UPS delivery. However, you can uncheck the signature box before checking out to avoid having to be home when your mattress is delivered.
Due to liability issues, UPS does not allow Casper to remove the signature requirement once the box is in transit. So if you prefer not to be home, remember to uncheck that box!
Can I try out the Casper mattress before I buy it?
You sure can! The Casper mattress can be found at a number of retail locations throughout the US. You can even book a trial where you can take a nap on a Casper mattress, talk to a sleep specialist, or just see the mattress for yourself.
You can also see and feel the Casper mattress for yourself in select Target stores. If you like what you see, you can make your purchase right there.
Can I finance my Casper mattress?
Yes, you can finance your Casper mattress for as low as 0% APR through Affirm. Just select Affirm at checkout and choose the payment plan that works best for you. You can pay your monthly bill using a bank transfer, check or debit card at affirm.com.
Will Casper set up my mattress or remove my existing mattress?
Casper does offer in-home delivery and setup options across the 48 contiguous states and the Greater Toronto Area. During your scheduled delivery time, a representative will bring your new Casper mattress to your room of choice, unbox it, and remove any additional packaging.
The service is $100 in the US, regardless of how many products you order. There is a discounted rate of $75 in select zip codes in New York City and Los Angeles. If you would like to have your old mattress removed, it will cost you an additional $50.
How long can the Casper mattress stay in the box?
You can keep your Casper mattress in its shipping box for up to three months. However, the 100 night trial period will start from the night you receive your Casper mattress, not from the night you start sleeping on it.
Does the Casper mattress have a break-in period?
Yes, you may need some time to adjust to your Casper mattress. Particularly if you are used to sleeping on a traditional innerspring mattress, your body will need time to adjust to the new mattress feel. It can take up to 30 days to fully break in your new mattress.
Will I need to flip my Casper mattress?
You will not! In fact, you shouldn’t flip your Casper mattress because the foam layers are designed to work best in the order they are in.
You can, however, rotate your mattress. This is recommended if you sleep alone on one side of the bed or if you and your partner have a significant weight difference. You can do this every 3-6 months.
How much weight can the Casper mattress support?
Casper does not have a weight limit – it’s designed to support all shapes and sizes. Depending on your weight, your Casper mattress may feel a little softer or firmer.
Other products sold by Casper
If you have more questions about our Casper mattress review leave us a comment below.
Customer rating is derived from Casper.com.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.