Casper Mattress Review
Casper Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: November 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.5/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.7/10|
|✔️Type: Memory Foam|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️10-year Limited Warranty|
Get 25% off
The Bottom Line: If you’re in the market for a unique memory foam mattress, the Casper original mattress may be for you. The Casper mattress offers great pressure relief, three foam layers, and targeted support. Capable of supporting all body types, the Casper is a universal mattress that can accommodate a variety of sleepers.
Who Is the Casper Mattress Best for?
|Casper is best for:||Casper may not be best for:|
The Casper Mattress is Casper’s original model, dating back to the company’s launch in 2014. Casper has updated and improved the original memory foam design over the years to provide more comfort and support. In this review, we’ll dive deep into performance, sizes, price, customer feedback, and pros and cons to help you figure out if the Casper is right for you.
Read on to learn why the Casper mattress is so popular in our in-depth review.
What We Love About the Casper
- Casper received a perfect score on responsiveness, making it a great choice for combination sleepers since it does an excellent job of adjusting to your body as you change positions.
- The uniquely designed Zoned Support layer contours to your pressure points, providing added relief and support.
- Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses that trap body heat, the Casper mattress promotes airflow and circulates air so you’re less likely to get that hot, sinking feeling typical of other memory foam mattresses.
Take a look at our video for our Casper mattress review and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if the Casper is right for you.
Note: Since our video review was completed, Mattress Advisor learned more about Casper’s social impact and B-Corp status, earning them a higher social responsibility score and overall rating. Casper’s overall score is now an 8.7/10.
Take a look at the breakdown of the scores from various tests we use to evaluate the original Casper mattress. Each score is rated on a scale of 10, with a 1 being the worst and a 10 being the best. To calculate our total score, we take a weighted average incorporating all the features and characteristics of the mattress.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score|
⭐Total Score for the Casper Original Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
Casper Performance Highlights
- Responsiveness: The Casper offers excellent responsiveness meaning it does a great job of adjusting to your body as you move throughout the night.
- Free Shipping and Returns: Casper offers free shipping and returns which makes the entire delivery and return process that much easier.
- Pressure Relief: Because the Casper is a memory foam mattress, it provides great relief for high-pressure areas like your hips, shoulders, and core. The innovative Zoned Support layer helps to contour these areas and offer added support.
- Edge Support: The Casper Mattress provides excellent support along its edges, so you can spread out or sit on the edge of the bed without experiencing any sagging.
- Cooling: The Casper’s 7/10 cooling score is the only real blemish from our testing. Despite the breathable AirScape foam in the top layer, memory foam mattresses generally don’t sleep as cool as an innerspring, latex, or hybrid mattress.
- Sleep Trial Duration: The Casper offers only a 100-night sleep trial, while other brands offer up to a yearlong trial period.
Ready to find out more about the Casper mattress? We’ll dive into all the nitty gritty details, from sizing and pricing to what actually lies inside the Casper.
How Firm is the Casper Mattress?
The Casper is a medium-firm mattress and scores a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale. Depending on your weight, the mattress may feel a little softer or firmer.
What Sleeping Positions Does the Casper Mattress Support?
The Casper is a great mattress for combination sleepers and generally works well with the other sleep positions. It’s extremely responsive (a perfect 10/10 score for responsiveness), adjusting to your body as you move throughout the night. The zoned support offers even weight distribution and the medium-firmness level can benefit back sleepers by preventing them from sinking too far into the mattress.
Casper Mattress Pain Relief Performance
If you’re looking for a mattress that supports your pain points or previous injuries, we’ve evaluated how the Casper mattress provides pressure relief.
Back Pain: The zoned support foam in the Casper Mattress offers extra support in the lower back area by keeping your shoulders and hips aligned.
Shoulder Pain: For back and stomach sleepers, the Casper should help to relieve shoulder pain. If you’re a side sleeper, we recommend considering a mattress with another layer of memory foam for support.
Hip Pain: If you often experience hip pain, the Casper mattress may not be the best for you. While this mattress will keep you aligned, it may not provide adequate support in that area.
Does the Casper Mattress Sleep Hot?
The Casper scores about a 7 out of 10 for cooling and is made with a breathable comfort foam that helps to increase airflow, prevent overheating, and combat any sinkage. However, because the Casper is an all-foam mattress it may not sleep as cool as an innerspring or hybrid mattress.
How Much Weight Does the Casper Mattress Support?
Casper does not have a weight limit–it’s designed to support all shapes and sizes. Depending on your weight, your Casper mattress may feel a little softer or firmer.
What Foundations or Bed Frames Can be Used with Casper?
The Casper is compatible with all standard foundations. As with all foam beds, you’ll want as much direct support under the mattress as possible. A wooden slatted foundation or platform bed usually offers the most support for the Casper.
What is the Casper Mattress Made of?
The Casper is composed of three layers of foam blend that offer breathability, pressure relief, and a springy yet contouring surface.
- Open-Cell Foam: Makes up the top layer and consists of Airscape breathable foam. It increases airflow and helps to circulate air to keep you cool at night.
- Zoned Support Layer: Comfort layer of memory foam with 3 ergonomic zones that provides targeted support for spinal alignment. Helps to provide even weight distribution and softer support for under the shoulders and firmer support for the hips, waist and lower back.
- Durable Support Foam: Composes the base layer and is designed to prevent sinking and provides added support for your whole body.
Casper Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11″||53 lbs||$895|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11″||58 lbs||$995|
|Full||53” x 75” x 11″||75 lbs||$1,195|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11″||87 lbs||$1,295|
|King||76” x 80” x 11″||110 lbs||$1,695|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 11″||109 lbs||$1,695|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Casper mattress.
Casper Mattress Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The Casper Mattress comes compressed and rolled in its box. The mattress takes about 4 hours to get to full size. There is some off-gassing but as long as your mattress is in a well-ventilated room for the first 4 hours you should have no issues with that for the rest of the time you have it.
Compressed and rolled in a box; delivered in 2-7 business days
10-year limited warranty
Available through Affirm
Casper Mattress Shipping and Delivery
Once you place your order, your Casper mattress ships from the facility within 1-2 days via UPS. It typically takes about 2-7 days for the mattress to be delivered. Casper offers in-home delivery and setup options across the 48 contiguous states.
Should you desire an in-home setup, UPS will deliver your mattress to a local delivery hub. A representative will then contact you to confirm a 4-hour delivery window where they will bring your new Casper mattress to your room of choice. They will then unbox it and remove any additional packaging.
This service costs $100 in the U.S. unless you are in select zip codes in New York City and Los Angeles where they offer a discounted rate of $75. You will need to be home to sign for the delivery if you keep the “signature required” box checked (it is automatically checked when you order your mattress). You can uncheck the signature box before checking out if you don’t want to be required to be home when the mattress is delivered. Should you want your old mattress removed, Casper charges a $50 fee to remove it for you.
Casper Mattress Sleep Trial
Your Casper Mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial which starts as soon as the new bed is delivered. It takes time to adjust to and break in a new mattress, so typically allow at least 30 days before deciding to return. Some mattress companies offer trial periods of up to a year, so Casper’s is on the shorter end of typical trial periods.
Casper provides a 10-year limited warranty that covers:
- Sagging or indentations deeper than 1″ that are not from using the wrong bed frame or foundation.
- Cracks or splits in the foam layers.
- Manufacturing defects in the zipper.
The Casper mattress warranty does not cover:
- Perceived changes in mattress comfort.
- Damages, including stains, burns, cuts, tears, or liquid damage.
- Any pieces of the mattress that aren’t defective. If you have a split on one side, Casper’s warranty only covers the defective side.
- Mattresses that are bought secondhand or from an unauthorized retailer.
Your warranty is only valid to the original purchaser. To submit a claim, you will need to retain a copy of your receipt as proof of purchase and send any evidence of a defect to Casper Sleep Inc., located at 175 Greenwich St., 39th Floor in New York, NY or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. In the event of a defect, you must return your mattress to and provide proof of purchase. You will not be held responsible for shipping costs. Casper will repair or replace (as applicable) and ship your mattress back to you.
Casper Mattress Customer Service
Casper offers excellent customer service as it scored a 9 out of 10. To contact customer service, you can call 1-888-498-0003, email email@example.com, or use the “chat” feature on their site to chat with a representative should you have any immediate questions while browsing the site.
Within the 100-night trial period, they will remove the mattress from your home and give you a full refund should you decide to return your mattress or mattress cover. Contact Casper’s customer support at +1 888-498-0003 to arrange for a return. Refunds are credited back to your account within two weeks. Casper will then take your returned mattress to either a local charity or recycling partner.
Each Casper mattress has its unique strengths. Below, you can compare all of our testing scores from our proprietary mattress testing process to see how the Casper mattresses compare to one another in terms of performance.
|🏆 HIGHEST SCORING||ORIGINAL CASPER||CASPER ELEMENT||CASPER HYBRID||CASPER WAVE HYBRID||CASPER WAVE HYBRID SNOW||CASPER NOVA HYBRID||CASPER SELECT|
|Spine Alignment||9.5 🏆||8||9||9||9.5🏆||9||9|
|Edge Support||9.5 🏆||9.5🏆||9.5🏆||9||8||6.5||9|
|Total Mattress Advisor Score||9.1/10🏆||8.1/10||8.9/10||9.1/10🏆||9.1/10🏆||8.6/10||8.8/10|
See our Review Process.
Here’s what some real-life Casper owners have to say:
- “It’s a perfect night’s sleep, a great balance of firm and soft.” – Nikki G.
- “I never thought a mattress would help ease my shoulder pain. This mattress has allowed me to stay a side sleeper even with a bum shoulder.” – Erin
- “I wake up in the exact same position I fall asleep in–no more tossing and turning!” – John S.
- “I’ve been waking up with upper back and side pain for the last few months with my old mattress, but with Casper, it went away within the first few days.” – Stephen
See How Casper Compares to Other Brands
Can I try out the Casper mattress before I buy it?
You sure can! The Casper mattress can be found at a number of retail locations throughout the US. You can even book a trial where you can take a nap on a Casper mattress, talk to a sleep specialist, or just see the mattress for yourself.
Is the Casper mattress eco-friendly?
The foams used in the Casper mattress are CertiPUR-US® Certified, meaning they meet some of the most rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability.
Is the Casper mattress firm or soft?